Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Study Bible recomendation

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Both of those study bibles sound really solid. I personally love the soothing style and sober mindset of Charles Stanley. He brings me great comfort when I'm feeling stressed. I think a good question is how do each of these pastor's minister to you each? Hope that helps.

Both of those study bibles sound really solid. I personally love the soothing style and sober mindset of Charles Stanley. He brings me great comfort when I'm feeling stressed. I think a good question is how do each of these pastor's minister to you each? Hope that helps.
I'm more of a Charles Stanley sorta fella.

I'm more of a Charles Stanley sorta fella.
:) Just curious, why not get both, or, rather, why not each get your own? I ask because I am still learning about the dynamics of a good marriage and wondering if using the same bible is helpful. My husband and I study differently and we don't study together, although we do talk about our studies each day. He likes to watch videos by Dallas Willard and also Christian physicists in defense of creation, and I like to do personal research studies that involves many translations. I love using bible hub.com and also the blogs on Desiring God (John Piper's church) or Redemer (Timothy Keller's church). We chat about them throughout the day and glean from each other. But maybe we should study together. I'm not sure. I don't really want to because I like to study what I feel I NEED, but I'm open to suggestions.

:) Just curious, why not get both, or, rather, why not each get your own? I ask because I am still learning about the dynamics of a good marriage and wondering if using the same bible is helpful. My husband and I study differently and we don't study together, although we do talk about our studies each day. He likes to watch videos by Dallas Willard and also Christian physicists in defense of creation, and I like to do personal research studies that involves many translations. I love using bible hub.com and also the blogs on Desiring God (John Piper's church) or Redemer (Timothy Keller's church). We chat about them throughout the day and glean from each other. But maybe we should study together. I'm not sure. I don't really want to because I like to study what I feel I NEED, but I'm open to suggestions.
I like multiple sources of biblical teaching. Charles Stanley is just one that my wife and I watch together. My wife loves Christian music so she gets most of her input through KSBJ online radio. I prefer documentary type things related to the Bible and/or the Temple. I find Temple talk fascinating while she has just a passing interest in that. She prefers relationship based Christ-centered teachings. Together we make a good team.

Trying to get the best study Bible I can for me and my my wife. We are going with NKJV version but are stuck between David Jeremiah or Charles Stanley. Any advise appreciated.

I use and recommend the NIV Study Bible. The commentary section is sound, in my understanding as a reader and student of NT Greek.

Oz

Not a study bible per se - but the best commentary on the Pentetuch - (5 books of Moses) is the "Depths of Torah" series from First Fruits of Zion. It is quite pricey but worth every penny.

I use and recommend the NIV Study Bible. The commentary section is sound, in my understanding as a reader and student of NT Greek.

Oz

Greetings, OzSpen.

I realize the OP is probably long gone by now, but I'm surprised to see you recommending an NIV Study Bible. Not that it's shocking or anything, just that it makes me curious. Not much for study Bibles personally, aside from the usefulness of those which are cross-referenced to the hilt. The rest I can get from other resources.

What especially do you like about it?

God bless, and good to see you again,
- H

Reminds me of my main KJV Bible . KJV Thompson Chain-Reference

I have yet to figure out if my red-letter Crusade Publishers KJV is a Thompson chain or not, but it is massively cross-referenced and exceedingly helpful in studies. It now has a few pages that are significantly torn and sections are coming unbound, but I refuse to use anything else in normal study. I will consult the multi-translations I have when I can't find other Bibles close by, and I have the six volume NT section of the Complete Bible Library that I use, but my KJV still gets more use than almost anything. The cross-referencing is exceedingly helpful to me.

Greetings, OzSpen.

I realize the OP is probably long gone by now, but I'm surprised to see you recommending an NIV Study Bible. Not that it's shocking or anything, just that it makes me curious. Not much for study Bibles personally, aside from the usefulness of those which are cross-referenced to the hilt. The rest I can get from other resources.

What especially do you like about it?

God bless, and good to see you again,
- H

HIM,

The commentary is evangelical and concise. Since I have worked with many reference books over the years, I'm not used to the concise nature of a Study Bible, but it works well in taking to a Bible study.

At the moment I'm working on an article for my homepage on the nature of human beings, dichotomy vs trichotomy, and the tricky verse of Heb 4:12 (NIV). I find the brief exposition in the NIV study Bible to be sound, based on my study.

Do you have some things against the NIV and dynamic equivalence translations?

Oz

At the moment I'm working on an article for my homepage on the nature of human beings, dichotomy vs trichotomy, and the tricky verse of Heb 4:12 (NIV). I find the brief exposition in the NIV study Bible to be sound, based on my study.

I'd be interested to see what it reads.
Do you have some things against the NIV and dynamic equivalence translations?

No, not really. I just would think that someone like yourself would prefer some sort of word-for-word equivalence, but maybe that's reading things in from the way I see it. When I quote scripture, I'll normally cite NKJV, so that if there's something from the Greek that absolutely needs correcting I usually have less ways to go. But then maybe that's also an assumption, at least across the board anyway.

I'd be interested to see what it reads.

No, not really. I just would think that someone like yourself would prefer some sort of word-for-word equivalence, but maybe that's reading things in from the way I see it. When I quote scripture, I'll normally cite NKJV, so that if there's something from the Greek that absolutely needs correcting I usually have less ways to go. But then maybe that's also an assumption, at least across the board anyway.

HIH,

I read and have taught the Greek NT. Because I know Greek, that's why I do not support a formal equivalence (word for word) translation. It's impossible to translate the Greek NT without adding words of syntax so the translation makes sense.

I don't use the NKJV because its Greek foundation is the textus receptus, which I consider is an inferior text to what the modern translations use, e.g. ESV, NIV, NET, etc.

Oz

I read and have taught the Greek NT. Because I know Greek, that's why I do not support a formal equivalence (word for word) translation. It's impossible to translate the Greek NT without adding words of syntax so the translation makes sense.

Well I didn't mean strict equivalence, no, LoL. I just meant primarily where vocabulary is concerned. But yes, I suppose there's not that much worth stressing compared to modern English anyway. I just like being able to compare word to word without getting lost. But then I don't know that NIV doesn't deviate from word for word all that much either.
I don't use the NKJV because its Greek foundation is the textus receptus, which I consider is an inferior text to what the modern translations use, e.g. ESV, NIV, NET, etc

Yes, I know. I'm quick to deviate from the TR reading. But I'm generally familiar enough with the deviant readings in most cases that I go to the NKJV out of convenience. Aside from the TR corruptions, I still tend to favor it over other versions. I have read the NIV at times but never truly gravitated to it; same with the NASB. But it's certainly not something I argue with people over. Aside from what you were bringing up, it becomes more of a preference thing for me, and I still prefer the way the NKJV reads much of the time. But then maybe it's also a matter of familiarity and memorability.

Back