Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Talking in unknown tongues

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Shema

CF Ambassador
0001-7679668684_20210911_201031_0000.png

An Emoji Devotional for Sat September 11, 2021

Topic: Talking in unknown tongues …

By Pastor H.U. Wenger

Highlights: Acts 1:8

Since the day of Pentecost this is a theme, which has occupied, unified and divided the Christian community all over the world. Before Jesus ascended to the heavens he promised several times the outpouring of the Holy Ghost, latest in Acts 1:8: “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” And then on the day of Pentecost it happened: “Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.”

This was a sensation as Jews from all over the world were present in Jerusalem and each of them heard the gospel preached in his own language. Peter finally cleared the situation with his Pentecost-Sermon in Acts 2:14ff.

The disciples were promised to be empowered with the Holy Spirit in order to be witnesses for Christ. In this original situation the gift of tongues, which is often combined with the gift of prophecy, made the greatest possible impact. Later on several charismatic oriented Christian began to declare that speaking in tongues would be the sure sign that a follower of Christ has received the Holy Spirit.

As not everybody receives the gift of tongues, charismatic movements have encouraged praying first for the gift. Then they should open their mouth and make sounds, till it somehow begins to flow like a language. Please understand that this practice does not lead to the gift of tongues, but to a kind of childish gibberish that does not make any sense. The gift of tongues has always to do with a language that is somewhere spoken and can be understood.

Paul has been aware that the church in Corinth had many questions and misuses of the gift of tongues and he therefore brings clarity to it in Chapters 12 to 14 of his first epistle to the Corinthians. It is crucial that you read through these chapters to understand what I am trying to say here.

1. There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. (1. Corinthians 12: 4 – 7)
None of the spiritual gifts is the sure sign of being filled with the holy spirit. If there is a sure sign for that it is a life of holiness and humility in Christ likeness.

2. In verses 8 to 10 Paul lists the different power-working gifts and concludes in vers 11: All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

3. The church is the body of Christ. Everybody has many cells and organs and every part has an important task. No part in the body has all the gifts, no part is without gift and we better just fill the part the spirit has given us, lest we are paralyzing the body. Paul encourages us to earnestly covet the best gifts, but tells us at the same time that the most excellent way is to bring love to the same perfection as God loves us. (1. Corinthians 12; especially 12,31 and all of Chapter 13)

4. We are all supposed to follow the way of love and charity. (1. Corinthians 14:1) As it comes to the gifts, Paul wants us to foremost covet the gift of prophecy. With prophecy is not meant that we should tell what will be going to happen in the world. It is again bound to the body of Christ. Prophecy convicts, it reveals what has been covered up. Prophecy has the potential to heal the body by showing what has to be changed, where we erred from the sound path and it convicts unbelievers and brings them to a turn around. (Compare Chapter 14, verses 24, 25)

5. If you have received the gift of tongue, use it for yourself as it will strengthen you, and use it in the church, when there is somebody present who can interpret. It is just crucial that the rules Chapter 14 gives us are followed. Paul uses the prayer in tongues intensely (Vers 18) and gives the credit to the Lord. Now event of the church is to serve the gifts of the spirit, but the gifts of the spirit are to best serve every event of the church for the call to faith, for the sanctification of the saints and for the outreach to the unsaved.

Some conservative Christians believe that the gifts mentioned in 1. Corinthians 13:8 do not exist anymore today and consider them therefore as an ensnarement of the enemy. They believe that with the completing of the New Testament Canon, the completeness mentioned in Chapter 13:10 has arrived. The argument is for me too week, as it is not confirmed by scripture in any way.

Nevertheless I am convinced that the gifts of the spirit are a huge battlefield for Satan today. We should not forget that he can well appear as an Angel of light. It is therefore crucial that we double check our gifts. Nothing should be attributed to the Holy Spirit that does not come from the Holy Spirit. If you are unsure about your gift, talk with your elders. Implore God together with them to confirm your gift or take it away, if he is not the giver of it.

Prayer: Lord God, I do thank you that you have made me a member in the body of your son Jesus Christ. Thank you for all the gifts you have entrusted me with. Let me faithfully fulfill the part you have assigned to me, lead me to proficiency in love and bestow me with every gift with which I can be of help for the body of Christ and for your Kingdom. Help me to live in humility and holiness. Amen

Last edited:
Good write up !

As not everybody receives the gift of tongues, charismatic movements have encouraged praying first for the gift. Then they should open their mouth and make sounds, till it somehow begins to flow like a language. Please understand that this practice does not lead to the gift of tongues, but to a kind of childish gibberish that does not make any sense. The gift of tongues has always to do with a language that is somewhere spoken and can be understood.
It makes me cringe if I see a video of this happening , so wrong . The Holy Spirit will give you real words from a language , no gibberish .

I will agree on one point and vehemently disagree on another.

AGREE:
I consider the act of SOME charismatics and pentecostals as described to be abusive and a work of the enemy. I have had to pray for some to be delivered from a demon spirit of "false tongues," which can come about from said practice. It is the Spirit that gives utterance, not something we can work up ourselves.

DISAGREE:
That the gift of tongues MUST be a known spoken language. (known by someone) In fact, ONLY in Acts 2 is that gift described that way. In 1 Cor 14.2 says praying in this tongue is speaking "mysteries to God," There is no intended human audience. And if every utterance was in the native language of someone present, WHY is there the gift of interpretation of tongues? There would be no need.

Since the day of Pentecost this is a theme, which has occupied, unified and divided the Christian community all over the world. Before Jesus ascended to the heavens he promised several times the outpouring of the Holy Ghost, latest in Acts 1:8: “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” And then on the day of Pentecost it happened: “Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.”
I believe that this is the main reason why someone becomes baptised in the Holy Spirit to give their lives to support and do His work.

View attachment 12769

An Emoji Devotional for Sat September 11, 2021

Topic: Talking in unknown tongues …

By Pastor H.U. Wenger

Highlights: Acts 1:8

This was a sensation as Jews from all over the world were present in Jerusalem and each of them heard the gospel preached in his own language. Peter finally cleared the situation with his Pentecost-Sermon in Acts 2:14ff.

The disciples were promised to be empowered with the Holy Spirit in order to be witnesses for Christ. In this original situation the gift of tongues, which is often combined with the gift of prophecy, made the greatest possible impact. Later on several charismatic oriented Christian began to declare that speaking in tongues would be the sure sign that a follower of Christ has received the Holy Spirit.

Paul has been aware that the church in Corinth had many questions and misuses of the gift of tongues and he therefore brings clarity to it in Chapters 12 to 14 of his first epistle to the Corinthians. It is crucial that you read through these chapters to understand what I am trying to say here.

1. There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. (1. Corinthians 12: 4 – 7)
None of the spiritual gifts is the sure sign of being filled with the holy spirit. If there is a sure sign for that it is a life of holiness and humility in Christ likeness.

2. In verses 8 to 10 Paul lists the different power-working gifts and concludes in vers 11: All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

3. The church is the body of Christ. Everybody has many cells and organs and every part has an important task. No part in the body has all the gifts, no part is without gift and we better just fill the part the spirit has given us, lest we are paralyzing the body. Paul encourages us to earnestly covet the best gifts, but tells us at the same time that the most excellent way is to bring love to the same perfection as God loves us. (1. Corinthians 12; especially 12,31 and all of Chapter 13)

4. We are all supposed to follow the way of love and charity. (1. Corinthians 14:1) As it comes to the gifts, Paul wants us to foremost covet the gift of prophecy. With prophecy is not meant that we should tell what will be going to happen in the world. It is again bound to the body of Christ. Prophecy convicts, it reveals what has been covered up. Prophecy has the potential to heal the body by showing what has to be changed, where we erred from the sound path and it convicts unbelievers and brings them to a turn around. (Compare Chapter 14, verses 24, 25)

5. If you have received the gift of tongue, use it for yourself as it will strengthen you, and use it in the church, when there is somebody present who can interpret. It is just crucial that the rules Chapter 14 gives us are followed. Paul uses the prayer in tongues intensely (Vers 18) and gives the credit to the Lord. Now event of the church is to serve the gifts of the spirit, but the gifts of the spirit are to best serve every event of the church for the call to faith, for the sanctification of the saints and for the outreach to the unsaved.

Some conservative Christians believe that the gifts mentioned in 1. Corinthians 13:8 do not exist anymore today and consider them therefore as an ensnarement of the enemy. They believe that with the completing of the New Testament Canon, the completeness mentioned in Chapter 13:10 has arrived. The argument is for me too week, as it is not confirmed by scripture in any way.

Nevertheless I am convinced that the gifts of the spirit are a huge battlefield for Satan today. We should not forget that he can well appear as an Angel of light. It is therefore crucial that we double check our gifts. Nothing should be attributed to the Holy Spirit that does not come from the Holy Spirit. If you are unsure about your gift, talk with your elders. Implore God together with them to confirm your gift or take it away, if he is not the giver of it.

Prayer: Lord God, I do thank you that you have made me a member in the body of your son Jesus Christ. Thank you for all the gifts you have entrusted me with. Let me faithfully fulfill the part you have assigned to me, lead me to proficiency in love and bestow me with every gift with which I can be of help for the body of Christ and for your Kingdom. Help me to live in humility and holiness. Amen

I agree that biblical tongues is a language that is known somewhere. This interpretation follows the proper hermeneutical rule of biblical precedent: where a subject is mentioned (1 Cor. 14), it is defined by the whole of scripture, and especially the first mention of it. Therefore, Acts 2 defines the kind of tongues that 1 Cor. 14 is talking about.

The need for interpretation is for those locations like Corinth where the spoken language was not known by anyone (or someone) in the congregation. Interpretation completes the edification for the WHOLE body in that case, according to the text.

I spent 25 years among Pentecostals and Charismatics (part of my heritage), and heard modern tongues many times. Not once did I hear anything that sounded like a language that had language structure and sufficient vocabulary that could convey meaning. Every time it was a repetition of random syllables.

I had a vested interest in knowing the truth about this subject, so I spent many hours over the years reading, studying, and observing this subject matter. I'm convinced that modern tongues is a human ability that anyone can do if they try hard enough. This is also suggested by the doctrine of the Pentecostals, which states that every person who receives the Spirit will speak in tongues (which doctrine is contrary to what Paul wrote in 1 Cor. 14).

Expert linguists have analyzed modern tongues over the years, and concluded that it doesn't convey meaning, because it doesn't have the vocabulary or structure to convey any meaning. Therefore, it is proper to describe it as meaningless gibberish.

I suppose it is possible that someone somewhere in modern times has spoken authentic tongues, since I haven't heard every one of them. I'm open to believing that God may be doing it somewhere, but up to now, I've not heard one single authentic case. I've heard several claims to it, but my doubts stem from the typical exaggerations of Pentecostals and Charismatics who are quick to invent urban legends. Even now, I'm thinking that someone will respond to this with a snide remark.

I have had to pray for some to be delivered from a demon spirit of "false tongues," which can come about from said practice.
Praise God you could help them ! " False tongues " is the terminology I like best . When someone says " modern tongues" I think it introduces confusion .

It is the Spirit that gives utterance, not something we can work up ourselves.
Exactly ! IMO Someone that is not gifted with tongues will have difficulty understanding what it is like to speak in tongues as the Spirit gives the utterance . Once you have spoken in true tongues you will understand .

Back