Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The 70th Week of Daniel/2555 days

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

guysmith

The 70th Week of Daniel/2555 days

The 70th Week of Daniel is a seven year period which beings with the confirmation of a covenant and ends
with the advent of Christ and the start of the Millennial rule of Christ. This seven year period can further be divided into four smaller periods of time. These period are outlined by Christ in Matthew 24:

1. The Beginning of Birth Pains (The first 3 ½ years) Matt24:1-14

2. The Great Tribulation (The second 3½ years) Matt 24:15-28

3. The Wonders in the Heavens Matt 24:29

4. The Day of the Lord

2555 days

The Bible provides us with the durations of these four periods which total 2555 days exactly. Start by multiplying the seven years that make up the tribulation period by 365 days that make up a year (7 x 365= 2555 Days).

(Though the Jewish calendar was made of 360 days, ancient scholars were aware of 365 days years. To make their calendar work, they would add, every six years, an additional 30 day month.)

We begin with the two periods that is recognized by most.

The Great Tribulation Period which has a duration of 1260 days. Rev12:6

The Day of the Lord is one day. 2 Peter 3:10c.

The duration of the Wonders in the Heavens can be found in the account of the two witnesses Revelation 11:3. It is the 3 ½ days that they lay dead on the streets of Jerusalem. Notice that they do their works for the 1260 days of the GT, lay dead in Jerusalem for 3 ½ days then are resurrected on The Day of the Lord.

The remaining 1290 days of The Beginning of Birth Pains can be found in Daniel 12:11.

In review:

1. The Beginning of Birth Pains 1290 days

2. The Great Tribulation 1260 days

3. The Wonders in the Heavens 3 ½ rounded up to 4 days

4. The Day of the Lord 1 day

Grand total of 2555 days or seven years to the day.

Leap years. Every four years we add a day because a year is actually 365 1/4 days (+-), therefore it would be at least 2556 days in a 7yr period.

Leap years. Every four years we add a day because a year is actually 365 1/4 days (+-), therefore it would be at least 2556 days in a 7yr period.
Do you think this following scripture might apply to that time?

Matthew 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

in most cases the days, weeks, months and years in the biblical prophecies are not literal, but symbolic(-al)

Blessings

Do you think this following scripture might apply to that time?

Matthew 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

Not in any way that would correct for the difference.

Daniels 70th week is Messianic and Christocentric. It was fulfilled by 34ad. The 70 weeks were 70x7 or 490 consecutive years. The 70th week is not future. There is no "gap" in this prophecy!

Hope of glory

Daniels 70th week is Messianic and Christocentric. It was fulfilled by 34ad. The 70 weeks were 70x7 or 490 consecutive years. The 70th week is not future. There is no "gap" in this prophecy!

Hope of glory

26 "And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself; And the people of the prince who is to come Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end of it shall be with a flood, And till the end of the war desolations are determined. Daniel 9:26

... after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off - 33 Ad

... And the people of the prince who is to come Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. - 70 AD

In verse 26 we have come to the year 70 AD and yet the 70 th week has not commenced.

Hmmmmm...

JLB

JBL
You said "... after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off - 33 Ad

Don't get ahead of yourself my friend.
33ad? How do you arrive at 33ad for the end of the 69th week? From what date the begin the 70 weeks (490yrs).

I will say this right up front, the reference in v26 to 70ad is parenthetical to the prophecy and not included in the 70 weeks. I will show why this is true in due time. For now please answer my above question.

I will respond tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get ahead of yourself my friend.
33ad? How do you arrive at 33ad for the end of the 69th week? From what date the begin the 70 weeks (490yrs).
First let's use day/year counting at 360 days per year. Ezekiel 4:6 . . . I have appointed thee each day for a year.

Where do we start? Daniel 9:25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.

Nehemiah 2:6 And the king said unto me, (the queen also sitting by him,) For how long shall thy journey be? and when wilt thou return? So it pleased the king to send me; and I set him a time.

This beginning in troublesome times was 444 B.C. and ends 483 years later as Jesus enters Jerusalem on an ass. The additional seven years began immediately when they had all things in common until 40 Ad and the stoning of Stephen.

Enough! This will be discounted and therefore of no value here. :)

Eugene

No need for a 360 day calendar, just use years. The prophecy was given in years not days.
1 year = 1 year
490 years = 490 years

444 bc + 483 years = 39ad = wrong date

457 bc. The decree of Artaxerxes (Longimanus) of Persia (Ezra 7)
457bc + 483 years = 26ad
When going from ad to bc a year must be added
26ad + 1 year = 27ad.

The decree was issued in 457 bc and 483 years later in 27ad Jesus was baptized in the Jordan and was "revealed" as the Christ. This was his "appearing" or "coming" to Israel.
...."until the Messiah the Prince..." (Dan.9:25)
Math.13:16-17 "And Jesus, when he was baptized....and he saw the Spirit of God
descending like a dove, and lighting upon him, and lo a voice from heaven saying, This is my beloved Son in who I am well pleased".

Mark 1:14-15 "....Jesus came into Galilee preaching the gospel if the kingdom of God. And saying, the time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand, repent Ye and believe the gospel"

Luke 3:21-23 "...Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened....and a
voice came from heaven which said Thou art my beloved Son, in thee I am well pleased. And Jesus BEGAN to be about thirty years of age..."

V25 of Dan.9 "....unto the Messiah the Prince..." refers to Jesus' public coming and revealing as King and Christ by the words of the Father at his public baptism!

John 1:29,32,34 "the next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the
Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world...I saw the spirit descending from heaven like a dove and it abode upon him....and I saw and bare record that this is the Son of God"

No need for a 360 day calendar, just use years. The prophecy was given in years not days.
The biblical year of ancient Israel was lunar-solar and contained only 360 days.

A 360 day year x 24 hrs. = 8640 hrs. per year

Our Gregorian calendar is 365 1/2 days. 365 x 24 hrs. = 8772 hrs. per year.

The difference in 490 years is:

Lunar - 8640 x 490 years is 4,233,600 hrs./ 24 = 176,400 days

Gregorian - 8772 x 490 years is 4,298,280 hrs./ 24 = 179,095 days

179,095 days minus 176,400 days = 2695 days/360 = 7.496 years taken from your calculation I think. If I'm wrong show me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artaxerxes_I_of_Persia
Wikipedia - In Artaxerxes' 20th year (444 BCE),Nehemiah, the king's cupbearer, apparently was also a friend of the king as in that year Artaxerxes inquired after Nehemiah's sadness. Nehemiah related to him the plight of the Jewish people and that the city of Jerusalem was undefended. The king sent Nehemiah to Jerusalem with letters of safe passage to the governors in Trans-Euphrates, and to Asaph, keeper of the royal forests, to make beams for the citadel by the Temple and to rebuild the city walls.

Eugene

The prophet covers a time period of 70 "shabuwa's" (seventy sets of seven years) or 490 years.
Their is no need to calculate the number of days based upon a gregorian calendar.
Daniel and the Jews would not have done this, and neither should we.

According simple calculations of the date you propose:
444bc + 483 years = 39 ad + 1 year to go from bc to ad = 40 ad
This far exceeds the time Jesus' ministry.

444bc + 483 years does not bring us to 33 ad (the year you say Jesus rode in Jerusalem on an ass). 444bc to 33ad is only 470 years, far short of 70x6 or 69 shabua's (483 years)

Once again, Daniel nor the Jews would have used your dating method, they would simply have counted 483 years from the decree of Artaxerxes, and so should we. (Seventy years in Babylon meant 70 years in Babylon to them in that day and it means the same to us also. 70 years = 70 years and 490 years = 490 years)

457 bc + 483 (plus 1) = 27ad
I have already shown how at Jesus' baptism he was publicly revealed as both King and Christ, by both the Father and by man. (..."in the mouth of two or three witnesses let every word be established)

There were 483 years "until the Messiah the Prince" at which time He was revealed to Israel, was anointed by the Spirit, and began his Messianic ministry. This took place at the river Jordan in 27 ad exactly 483 years after Artaxerxes decree in 457bc.

Hope of Glory

This post is a comprehensive rendering of the biblical 70 weeks [Jewish heptads] of years decreed for national Israel .... this time frame is specifically related to Daniel's people and reaches from the release of the Babylonian captives to return to re-build the city of Jerusalem to the Lord's cutting off at the cross bringing the end of the 69th week .... the balance [the 70th week] is still pending today just after the fullness of the Gentiles has been added to the Lord's church [Romans 11:25-36] .... then He will turn His focus upon a regathered remnant part of ethnic Israel for the purpose of pressuring the nation [the time of Jacob's trouble] [Jeremiah 30; Ezekiel 38;39; Daniel 9:24-27; 12:1-7; Joel 2; 3; Zechariah 12:13:14] and bringing His wrath and judgment upon an intransigent unbelieving world [Psalms 2; Revelation 6:12-17; 11:18]

The time frame of all unfulfilled visionary prophecy is still future. All fulfilled prophecy has been fulfilled through the end of the 69th week of the 70 weeks of years decreed for national Israel. A week of years is the Jewish “heptad”. Each year represents 360 literal prophetic days. This calculates to a 7 year period of time or 2,520 days. The 69 weeks of years represent a time period of 173,880 prophetic days or 483 years:

This time frame began at the decree to return and build the city Jerusalem from the Babylonian captivity [under Persian rule] in 445 B.C. 483 prophetic years lapsed in about 33 A.D. and the Lord was then cut off at His first coming. There is one “heptad” (one 7 year period) remaining for the completion of the decreed amount of total time of 490 years and this 7 year period is still future. [Daniel 9; 12]

It is significant that the nation of unbelieving Israel is existing as an independent political entity in the land of Israel today after many centuries of domination by the Gentiles and exile from their land. They are there to experience the coming 70th week decreed for the nation which is still pending.

Israel's continuous intransigence against the Lord's providence and direction has resulted in the loss of His personal guidance and direction. Israel is still in this condition at the present time. His long term preservation of Israel's national identity is specifically for His ultimate plans and purposes ..... not Israel's self-generated nationalism. [Jeremiah 30; Ezekiel 36; 37; 38; 39]

The years following the reign of Israel's prominent kings David and his son Solomon included political division of the nation and subsequent invasion and assimilation of ten of the tribes of Israel by the Assyrians. Successive dominance of the remainder of the nation followed by the three empires of neo-Babylon, Persia, and Grecia.

The neo-Babylonians conquered what was left of the remnant, took many captives, and relocated the population. It was under the rule of the next empire, Persia, that a remnant of Israel was allowed to return to the land of Israel [445 B.C.]. This began the count down of the 70 weeks of years [490 literal prophetic years]. 483 years have lapsed with one 7 year period yet to be experienced by Israel after their second return from the nations of the Gentiles to the land of Israel. [Daniel 9:24-27]

If the death of Jesus occurred around 33 A.D. then the following calculation can be made. The time lapse would be 444 calendar years to the first century from 445 B.C. plus 33 additional years to equal 477 years. The conversion factor for 360 day prophetic years can be calculated by dividing 365 by 360 which is 1.0138. Prophetic years are shorter so there are more of them included in the time frame of 477 calendar years.

There are 483.5826 [477 x 1.0138] prophetic years in the time frame. If one adjusts this result by leap year days, the final calculation is very close to 483 years [69 weeks of years]. Daniel's vision of the time frame allows for this amount of time to lapse after which the Messiah Prince would be cut off and have nothing.

The last segment of 7 years [1 week of years] is still yet future and requires Israel's return in part to the Land of Israel from the nations. This final 7 years will include future prophetic events leading up to the visible return of Israel's Messiah who is Jesus Christ.

The covenant of 70 weeks of years is described in the 9th chapter of Daniel. The Lord will confirm this covenant by executing the last 7 years including the 6 objectives that will be met for national Israel at the time of the end which is still pending. These objectives must be met for national Israel at that time since most of the nation has been and is in the state of unbelief. Some will turn and accept their Messiah and King, Jesus Christ.

This period of the 70th week will be exactly 2,520 prophetic days long and there will be another 30 days and 45 days added. The Lord will turn on satan's beast and his kingdom of followers and destroy it during the 30 day period ending with the battle of Armageddon. The Lord will then appear to the world and gather all of the mortal survivors of the tribulations of the 70th week and separate them for entrance into His kingdom during the next 45 days.

Satan and his fallen angelics are coming to the earth at the beginning of the 70th week and it will take the first 1,260 days for him to develop his kingdom in the Middle East including the invasion and occupation of Israel, Jerusalem, and the temple mount. He will also gain a large human following and these will worship him as a god. He will then rule over the Middle East for the next 1,260 days [42 months]. The Lord will then force him and his human followers to Armageddon and destroy his kingdom within the next 30 days.

There is nothing of earthly events recorded in the scope of visionary prophecy between the end of the 69th week and the beginning of the 70th. The end time frames of the O.T. visions of the prophets, the Lord’s discourse in Matthew 24, Mark 13, Luke 21, and Revelation beginning in chapter 4 are all about the 70th week which is still pending.

The Lord’s discourse in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21 concerning the time of the end is all focused upon the generation of national Israel that will be living during the 70th week. No known events on the earth are included in the time lapse between the end of the 69th week [about 33 A.D.] and the beginning of the future 70th week. There have been many attempts to insert them, but they are not there. All of the time lapse of last 2,000+ years up to this very day is not included in the visions.

For example, the Roman invasions of Israel in 70 A.D. are not presented in the scope of the visions. These events occurred long after the 69th week and were certainly not part of the 70th which is still pending. The people of the prince that shall come [satan's beast in the little horn, king of the northern Middle East] were not the Romans in the first century.

These will be the followers of the this king during the 70th week. The 6th king "position" that John sees, the king that "is", will be the little horn of Daniel's visions and not a Roman king in the first century. John sees the "things that shall be hereafter" .... the coming 70th week.

The Lord also addresses the mystery kingdom of the Church [composed of a few Israelites and many Gentiles] in the parables of Matthew 25. His focus is on His “harpazo” action which will divide professing christianity into those that are ready .... and those that are not. The first [both dead and living together] will be immortalized and the balance will remain to experience the tribulations of 70th week.

Some of national Israel and of the nations will repent and turn to the Lord during His hour of trial and judgment, but most will not. Many of these who turn will be martyed for their faith and a few will survive the period. The development of this mystery kingdom [the church] was revealed at Pentecost and will be completed when the fullness of the Gentiles are added. [Romans 11:25]

The precept of the time frame of the 70 weeks of years decreed for national Israel must be applied to all unfilled prophecy written in scripture for correct and accurate exegesis of the prophetic scriptures. All of the content of future events can be identified and these will fit exactly into this time frame.

Most traditional interpretations do not incorporate this method of exegesis and all of them have difficulties that require some level of apologetics, selective allegory, contextual extraction, misapplication of scriptures, and or elimination of the same. I would suggest the student of Bible prophecy test the precept of the 70 weeks decreed against all known scriptural passages related to visionary prophecy. I will be glad to assist any one with reconciliations related to the pre-conceptions of other views.

Reply to post 15

Your dating scheme does not add up to 483 years "until the Messiah the Prince" nor 490 years which is the full scope of this prophecy.

The biblical year of ancient Israel was lunar-solar and contained only 360 days.

A 360 day year x 24 hrs. = 8640 hrs. per year

Our Gregorian calendar is 365 1/2 days. 365 x 24 hrs. = 8772 hrs. per year.

The difference in 490 years is:

Lunar - 8640 x 490 years is 4,233,600 hrs./ 24 = 176,400 days

Gregorian - 8772 x 490 years is 4,298,280 hrs./ 24 = 179,095 days

179,095 days minus 176,400 days = 2695 days/360 = 7.496 years taken from your calculation I think. If I'm wrong show me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artaxerxes_I_of_Persia
Wikipedia - In Artaxerxes' 20th year (444 BCE),Nehemiah, the king's cupbearer, apparently was also a friend of the king as in that year Artaxerxes inquired after Nehemiah's sadness. Nehemiah related to him the plight of the Jewish people and that the city of Jerusalem was undefended. The king sent Nehemiah to Jerusalem with letters of safe passage to the governors in Trans-Euphrates, and to Asaph, keeper of the royal forests, to make beams for the citadel by the Temple and to rebuild the city walls.

The mean tropical year is 365.242189 days.

490 x 365.242189 - 178,969 days.

490 "prophetic" years is 176,400 days.

The difference is 2569 days.

This is the exact number of days in seven biblical years beginning in 27 AD and ending in 34 AD.

We would not start the 70 weeks in 444 BC. Only the events of 457 BC meet the conditions laid down in Daniel 9:24-27.

From the going forth of the decree Nisan 12 (April 26) in 457 BC, to restore (Hebrew; shuv, return (of the people)) on Av 1, and to build (establish the civil authority) is clearly marked out in the Journey from Babylon to Jerusalem as given in Ezra 7-10.

The mean tropical year is 365.242189 days.

490 x 365.242189 - 178,969 days.

490 "prophetic" years is 176,400 days.

The difference is 2569 days.

This is the exact number of days in seven biblical years beginning in 27 AD and ending in 34 AD.

We would not start the 70 weeks in 444 BC. Only the events of 457 BC meet the conditions laid down in Daniel 9:24-27.

From the going forth of the decree Nisan 12 (April 26) in 457 BC, to restore (Hebrew; shuv, return (of the people)) on Av 1, and to build (establish the civil authority) is clearly marked out in the Journey from Babylon to Jerusalem as given in Ezra 7-10.

The Jewish biblical year is 360 days.

Dan 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

God gave Israel 490 years to repent after their 70 year captivity in Babylon when the Medes and Persians conquered Babylon (Chaldean's) around 538 B.C. They were allowed back in the land and to rebuild the city of Jerusalem, however, they still did not repent for their sin of idol worshiping as they continue to follow Judaism and receive punishment from God as the kingdom was taken away and eventually taken over by the Roman Empire. Malachi Chapter 1-4.

The people were allowed back in the land and Israel was again formed; however, the people did receive punishment as the kingdom was taken away. Additionally, for approximately 2500 years, from 586 BC until 1948, the nation was under the authority of a foreign power. Israel never again had a king from the messianic line of David to sit and rule.

Israel was given 490 years to deal with the sin of the nation and prepare for the coming of King Messiah. The prophecy would start with the command to restore and rebuild Jerusalem. Messiah, the prince, would come exactly 483 years (69 weeks) after the command was given. Then the Messiah would be cut off or killed for others. After the 69 weeks, Messiah would be killed, and Jerusalem and the temple would once again be destroyed and made desolate. There would be wars and desolation's of Jerusalem for an unspecified period of time and then the end would come. This prophecy allows for the exact time for the first coming of Messiah to be determined.

Daniel separated the 70th week, the last seven years, from the previous 69 weeks. The 70th week was specially separated from all the other years. This prophecy gives conclusive proof that only Jesus of Nazareth can be Israel ’s King Messiah, the Savior of mankind.​

Daniel 9:25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.

This was Ezra rebuilding the literal Temple, but also prophetic of the Spiritual Temple making it ready for Messiah to return.

Daniel 8:14 And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed. (Full 70 weeks/ 490 years which end with the return of Christ)

God speaks to us in scripture of a 3 1/2 year tribulation period (not a seven year) as being time, times and half time which equals 1260 days = 3 ½ years or 3 ½ Times – Hebrew calendar only had 30 days for each month and this is where you get 1260 days or 3 ½ years. (First half and second half of the 2300 days)
[Scripture reference]
Revelation 12:14; Daniel 7:25; Daniel 12:7
1260 days – Revelation 11:3; Revelation 12:6
42 months – Revelation 11:2; Revelation 13:5
2300 days – Daniel 8:13, 14

The 70th week (490 prophetic years) begins with the commandment to restore and rebuild Jerusalem.

Ezra 1: 2 Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia, The LORD God of heaven hath given me all the kingdoms of the earth; and he hath charged me to build him an house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah.

Messiah is cut-off at the crucifixion which is the 69th week (483 prophetic years). God set aside the wrath that will come in the 70th week (490 prophetic years) and revealed the revelation of the mystery to the apostle John and we will be in that gap between the 69th week and the 70th week until God pours out his wrath upon those who refuse to repent during the seven trumpet and seven vial judgments then will Jesus return and sends His angels out to the four corners of the earth to gather His bride to Him.

The command to rebuild Jerusalem was in 457BC. Daniel 9:25 says it took 7 weeks (49 years) to rebuild. This brings us to 408BC.

Daniel says 62 weeks later (434 years) Messiah will arrive. This brings us to 27AD which is the end of week 69 and start of week 70. (408 -343 = 26. Add 1 year for year “0” and you come to 27AD)

Daniel 9:26, 27 says Messiah is cut off and in the midst of week 70th Jesus shall confirm the covenant (grace) and that which is determined (judged) will be that of Gods judgment of those not found written in the Lamb’s book of life.

Note 1: There are different opinions on who “the people of the prince” refers to in Daniel 9:26 but the majority of scholars however do agree that the destruction of the city and the sanctuary applies to the second destruction of Jerusalem and the rebuilt sanctuary by Roman armies under Prince Titus in 70 A.D.

Note 2: Remember the 70 weeks or 490 years was the time God gave His chosen nation to end their rebellion where they would then be forgiven for their transgressions. Now note that Jesus references this prophetic time period while conversing with Peter on the topic forgiveness. 70 times 7 is of course 490.

Matthew 18:21 “Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Till seven times? 22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.”

For those wondering, the well known and accepted day for a year rule is correct or otherwise the entire ministry of Jesus would have only been 3.5 days instead of 3.5 years and the entire prophecy would have only lasted about 1.3 years. That would be from 457 B.C. to approximately 455 B.C. The temple and the streets and the walls of Jerusalem etc would have had to have been rebuilt in 49 days. This would be an impossible task and it certainly did take every bit of the 49 years as one would expect.

So let’s just clarify these times again. Daniel 9:24 “Seventy weeks are determined upon your people” Seventy weeks is 70 x 7 days which is 490 prophetic days, which on the day for a year rule is 490 years.

Daniel 9:25 “Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.”

Daniel 9:25 states that from the decree to rebuild the temple until the Messiah (means anointed one), which can only be Jesus, is 7 weeks and threescore and two weeks, Three score is 60, plus two equals 62 weeks. So this is 7 + 62 = 69 weeks from the decree to rebuild Jerusalem until the beginning of Christ’s ministry. The ministry of Jesus began with His baptism around the age of thirty.

Luke 3:22 And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.
Luke 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,
So how do we get the year of baptism to be 27 A.D. when it states Jesus was about thirty years old? When the time of this was first calculated there was an error of 4 years made as many now know. Herod was still alive when Christ was born and did all he could to try and kill Jesus at that time. But History records Herod’s death to be in 4 B.C. After the error was recognized, the historic facts became even clearer. Jesus was born in 4 B.C. and then baptized in 27 A.D. at the age of 30.

The 7 weeks (49 days = 49 years) was the time it took to rebuild the Temple and streets etc and the remaining 62 weeks brings us to the Baptism of the Messiah. Note that Christ means the “anointed one” in Greek while Messiah means the “anointed one” in Hebrew.

Daniel 9:26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.”

This leaves only the final 70th week, which is 7 years to complete the 70 weeks of Daniel, (7 + 62 + 1 = 70 weeks or 490 years). We are told that after the threescore and two weeks (60 + 2 = 62) that the Messiah would be cut off. In other words, cut off from the land of the living, that is, killed by crucifixion. This happens after the 62 week period which follows the 7 weeks, so this is 69 weeks into the prophecy. Note that is says “after” this time period and not at the end of the 69 weeks exactly. So how long after the 62nd week was it when Jesus was crucified?

Daniel 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.”

Daniel 9:27 shows us exactly when after the total of 69 weeks (483 days/483 prophetic years in the day as a year principle) Jesus was cut off, but not for Himself for He was cut off for us as He died for our sins. Note that it states that He, Jesus, caused the sacrifice and the oblation to cease in the middle of the final week (7 years), which is 3.5 years of course. When Jesus, the Lamb of God, died on the cross, He became our one and final perfect sacrifice and put an end to the temple sacrifices. This was signified by the temple curtain being torn from top to bottom.

Matthew 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent.

This still leaves 3.5 years before the end of Daniel’s 70 weeks (490 years) and the close of probation for Israel. The Gospel was still to go to the Jews exclusively for this remaining time. So what happened at the end of the 490 years? Stephen gave one immense and very significant speech before the Sanhedrin. This was God giving the Jews their final chance to repent. How did they respond and what did they do?

Back