Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The benefits of honey

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
G

I've avoided honey my whole life, and I've been hearing pretty good things about it. Does anyone have any stories of their own about the benefits of it, or any websites to check out. I actually checked the bottles at the store and all of them have 16g of sugar, that was ok. Is honey actually better for you than just plain sugar. Is honey better alone or used with green tea or white tea. Is there benefits to swallowing a tablespoon of honey once a day. I've already heard that honey helps with scratchy throats, colds, immune systems, energy level and skin tissue healing. I'm just recently getting into more knowledge of this. so yeah.

When I have a cold, or feel like I'm getting one, I'll drink a glass of honey mixed with apple cider vinegar. I believe it's supposed to get rid of the cold before it really starts. But it doesn't work if you're already in the middle of it.

Moved this thread to health & nutrition.

Local honey is best for you, if you can find a local bee keeper.

Using honey instead of sugar is advocated by many honey fans. Below is a link & opening paragraph about using honey in a recipe instead of sugar. The site offers some good basic info.

http://www.pickyourown.org/SusbtitutingHoneyForSugar.htm :

There are no hard and fast rules to substituting honey and sugar in recipes, but this page should help you quickly decide how much you will want to use in your particular recipe, instead of table or cane sugar. In general, substituting honey for sugar seems to be a matter of taste. Some people use it cup for cup, others prefer 1/2 cup - 2/3 cup of honey per cup of white sugar. Reduce the amount of other liquids by 1/4 cup for every cup of honey used. Lower the oven temp about 25 degrees F to prevent over-browning and add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda for each cup of honey to your batter. (Honey is naturally acidic and the baking soda tempers it.)

Manuka honey is good for healing burns, something in it acts as an anti-bacterial, and the bacteria also get caught in the viscous sugary liquid.

I just learned that you should get it raw and not processed, but i think processed honey is better for babies. RAW honey is for adults.

Honey isn't recommended for babies these days, raw or processed. Supposedly, it can cause allergies.

I didn't know that when my children were babies; they loved honey (fresh from the comb) spread on their breakfast toast. But then, we always bought honey from a known source.

From what I've been told consuming local honey can help you build up a tolerance of local allergens, since honey is processed pollen after all.

Do be very sure of where your honey is coming from though. Like with "maple syrup", a lot of what you get in the store isn't pure honey (most "maple syrups" are just cooked HFCS :tongue) or is from china or other non-local places.

RAW local honey is soooooooooooo good! I tried it for the first time, and I love it. I also mixed it in with tea. Way better than grocery store processed crap. haha.

Wow, all good information here. Thank you everyone, time to go find a bee hive I guess....... :)

Mike.

It is a natural antiseptic and makes a good salve for burns and wounds.

Greetings Edward. Would you by any chance have info about wounds and how to use honey on wounds. That sounds like an interesting topic. Blessings.

I saw a program on health and a guy had a bad tropical skin ulcer which would not completely heal using all sorts of antibiotics. They then covered his wound with Manuka honey and redressed it over time with it and the ulcer was healed completely. Manuka 10+ medical honey, you can eat it too just the 10+ is the one loaded with the goodies that have the strongest healing properties. There is also a 5+. There is straight Manuka then you get 5+ and 10+ which are the ones recommended for healing of wounds and fighting infection. Tastes different from normal honey, very strong taste. I don't like it personally and prefer to eat normal honey but do have it now and then medicinally.

I saw a program on health and a guy had a bad tropical skin ulcer which would not completely heal using all sorts of antibiotics. They then covered his wound with Manuka honey and redressed it over time with it and the ulcer was healed completely. Manuka 10+ medical honey, you can eat it too just the 10+ is the one loaded with the goodies that have the strongest healing properties. There is also a 5+. There is straight Manuka then you get 5+ and 10+ which are the ones recommended for healing of wounds and fighting infection. Tastes different from normal honey, very strong taste. I don't like it personally and prefer to eat normal honey but do have it now and then medicinally.

Good stuff here. I assume 10+ and 5+ are hard to find, as in doctors only have access?

I just got back from town and bought a 5lb bucket of raw, local honey. Both my son and I have allergies and I've been encouraged to try mixing 1 tsp raw, local honey, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar and 6 oz. of cold water together and drinking it... doing this about twice a day.

Hey, I've spent a fortune in dr's bills for both him and I... general practitioner, allergist, ear-nose-throat guy, shots and prescriptions that don't come cheap... I'm willing to give it a try.

But, I've heard from a lot of people now, really for such a low populated area, a rather significant percent, about how raw, local honey will help with both allergies and asthma.

I just got back from town and bought a 5lb bucket of raw, local honey. Both my son and I have allergies and I've been encouraged to try mixing 1 tsp raw, local honey, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar and 6 oz. of cold water together and drinking it... doing this about twice a day.

Hey, I've spent a fortune in dr's bills for both him and I... general practitioner, allergist, ear-nose-throat guy, shots and prescriptions that don't come cheap... I'm willing to give it a try.

But, I've heard from a lot of people now, really for such a low populated area, a rather significant percent, about how raw, local honey will help with both allergies and asthma.
[MENTION=4376]handy[/MENTION]:

Honey is good. (As long as you don't have glucose intolerance...)

Blessings.

I've avoided honey my whole life, and I've been hearing pretty good things about it. Does anyone have any stories of their own about the benefits of it, or any websites to check out. I actually checked the bottles at the store and all of them have 16g of sugar, that was ok. Is honey actually better for you than just plain sugar. Is honey better alone or used with green tea or white tea. Is there benefits to swallowing a tablespoon of honey once a day. I've already heard that honey helps with scratchy throats, colds, immune systems, energy level and skin tissue healing. I'm just recently getting into more knowledge of this. so yeah.

:thumbsup yes, i tried honey for my skin, really helps . Thanks:)

Hi Dave. We buy it here in Australia 5+ and 10+ in our supermarkets and health food shops. The best is supposed to be the New Zealand Manuka honey. You should be able to get it in a health food shop where you are, if not in a supermarket maybe. I reckon if you couldn't find it then someone at a health food shop could source some for you easily enough. You can get blended Manuka but its the straight pure ones with 5+ and 10+ on the labels which are the go. Cheers.

Handy, our neighbour does the bee thing ,,, Most folks here say they have benefited from the honey on the allergy side .... One cowboy says it doesn't help but he is so full of beer nothing helps....

When I visit my daughter in Hawaii, everyone assures me the best honey is "Big Island Honey." When my dad was still alive, we insisted nothing was better, or better for you, than New York State "Buckwheat Honey."

My opinion, whatever is local to where you live is the best honey, it's all good.

Back