Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Disciples Did Not Know Him

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

for_his_glory

Fight the good fight of faith
2024 Supporter
The disciples had no clue they had the Messiah before them until the day of Pentecost when their Spiritual eyes and ears were opened as they only knew Him as a prophet sent by God. Before the crucifixion of Jesus they all fled in fear they too would be taken by the Roman guards as being followers of Jesus and be killed as He was killed. Even Peter denied knowing Him three times, even after stating He was the son of God. They did not wait by the tomb, Matthew 27:57-61, as only one man begged for the body of Jesus, wrapped Him in linen and laid Him in his own tomb, Matthew 27:57-61.

They didn't even recognize Him when He came to them and told them to cast their nets on the right side of the boat as they went in the evening to fish and then gathered themselves in the upper room behind locked doors in fear the Jews would siege them, John 21:1-14.

There are three times written in the scriptures where Jesus appeared unto His disciples and they didn't even recognized Him until He proved to them who He was as they had no understanding at that time that God would raise them from the dead. , Luke 24:36-49 John 20:19-20; 21:1-12

None, but John, Mary the mother of Jesus, Mary Magdalene and other women followers of Christ were present during the crucifixion. Only one man begged Pilate for the body of Jesus and wrapped Him in linen and laid Him in the tomb while Mary and Mary Magdalene were sitting over against the sepulcher, Matthew 27:57-61.

Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

Rev 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Will we stand in faith giving no thought of our life when the guillotine is before us, or in fear for our own life seeing the guillotine will He hear us say I denounce Jesus to spare my life.

Are we truly recognizing Christ as our Lord and Savior trusting Him in all things giving no thought for our own life? It's easy to say we are, but in the face of greater persecutions even to death what will come out of your mouth.

Examine yourself if you are truly ready for the Lord's return and if you do not know Jesus then I ask you to accept Him as your Lord and Savior before it's to late for you.

Act 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, (the word of God being preached to them) they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Even Peter denied knowing Him three times, even after stating He was the son of God.

Isn't the Power of God amazing in that He could change Peter's Heart (mind)? Peter went from slicing off an ear of a Roman soldier so as to protect his Master . . . completely ready to die, yet later his heart was hardened (not by himself) so as to fulfill the Plan of God. Had Peter maintained his idea of protecting Jesus, the Plan of God would have potentially failed, hence:

Matthew 16:23 NKJV - "But He turned and said to Peter, "Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men."

The Jews were waiting for a Kingly Messiah that would literally take his seat on the throne of David and rule over Israel and sadly they still are not knowing that their Messiah came to them, left and will return again.

What amazes me is that Peter even told Jesus that He was the Son of God as only the Holy Spirit could have reveal that to Peter, but yet in fear denied Him three times.

What amazes me is that Peter even told Jesus that He was the Son of God as only the Holy Spirit could have reveal that to Peter, but yet in fear denied Him three times.

100%

These are the things that I have thought about hundreds of times over the past several years. What happened to Peter's thinking is a New Testament reflection of what God was doing to individuals, groups of people, and even entire Nations in the Old Testament. What we see with Peter is a demonstration of the Power of God. The denial of Peter [was] going to take place, and it didn't matter if the Spirit had been revealed or not . . . Peter's heart would somehow become hardened, though previously it was not hardened whatsoever.

Prophesy had to be fulfilled; thus the Power of God is what we are ultimately looking at, here. And it is simply mind-boggling . . . His Raw, Almighty Power. Peter was ashamed of himself after his denials of Christ, and even Judas Iscariot came to his senses and ultimately killed himself for what he had done (to Jesus) with the assistance of the Devil. Imagine that . . . Judas does the will of Satan, and what's his reward? Hell.

Anyway, in reading the Old Testament, from here on out, note how many times our God takes responsibility for controlling the way entire Nations think and behave. God isn't shy about taking responsibility for Nations being nearly wiped out. At times, the Lord would control the minds of the enemies of Israel and turn themselves and their swords against each other. Israel didn't need to lift a finger, nor be frightened . . . et . . . all. They would certainly all have stood, and watched in utter disbelief as they witnessed their attackers begin killing and maiming each other. They knew what happened . . . the Lord God Almighty fought their battle for them once again. And how did the Lord do it? By changing they way they thought. And by changing the way these people thought, their behaviors followed their new path.

That is how Powerful God is. Not only can He part entire seas, but control the way humans think . . . and even make a doney speak human language.

Fear of the Lord (We should all have it)

Coming to knowledge & trust in Jesus as Savior, makes us no less immune to falling into the same trap that Peter & other apostles may have .
It is no different than me or you being present for one reason or another, employment, social gathering , etc,etc, among a group of people who are not believers when something wrong is said concerning Christ, but instead of speaking up for Christ as we should, we decide to just keep our mouth shut out of FEAR.
The same sin of fear that Peter had.
Fear that what we say might affect our employment, fear that we may become looked upon as a fanatic , fear that we may be ostracized.
The Good News is that these instances in scripture were given to us by God in His Word that we should not lose heart and become discouraged when we stumble and fall as Peter did, but that we grow stronger from the experience just as Peter did, and face future instances with a resolute boldness for Christ that is unshakable .

This suggests they did believe in Him.
John 17
I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. 7 Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. 8 For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me.

Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

There where a few noted that doubted after Jesus was crucified but before the resurrected Jesus appeared to them alive.

Such as Thomas and Cleopas.

The disciples had no clue they had the Messiah before them until the day of Pentecost when their Spiritual eyes and ears were opened as they only knew Him as a prophet sent by God. Before the crucifixion of Jesus they all fled in fear they too would be taken by the Roman guards as being followers of Jesus and be killed as He was killed. Even Peter denied knowing Him three times, even after stating He was the son of God. They did not wait by the tomb, Matthew 27:57-61, as only one man begged for the body of Jesus, wrapped Him in linen and laid Him in his own tomb, Matthew 27:57-61.

They didn't even recognize Him when He came to them and told them to cast their nets on the right side of the boat as they went in the evening to fish and then gathered themselves in the upper room behind locked doors in fear the Jews would siege them, John 21:1-14.

There are three times written in the scriptures where Jesus appeared unto His disciples and they didn't even recognized Him until He proved to them who He was as they had no understanding at that time that God would raise them from the dead. , Luke 24:36-49 John 20:19-20; 21:1-12

None, but John, Mary the mother of Jesus, Mary Magdalene and other women followers of Christ were present during the crucifixion. Only one man begged Pilate for the body of Jesus and wrapped Him in linen and laid Him in the tomb while Mary and Mary Magdalene were sitting over against the sepulcher, Matthew 27:57-61.

Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

Rev 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Will we stand in faith giving no thought of our life when the guillotine is before us, or in fear for our own life seeing the guillotine will He hear us say I denounce Jesus to spare my life.

Are we truly recognizing Christ as our Lord and Savior trusting Him in all things giving no thought for our own life? It's easy to say we are, but in the face of greater persecutions even to death what will come out of your mouth.

Examine yourself if you are truly ready for the Lord's return and if you do not know Jesus then I ask you to accept Him as your Lord and Savior before it's to late for you.

Act 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, (the word of God being preached to them) they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
There are two or three reasons for Jesus not being recognized.

The physical:
Jesus was so physically changed by the Crucifixion that he was not recognized except by voice and doctrine.

The mindset of the Law:
The prophets spoke of things they really did not fully understand, and longed to understand (especially suffering).

The law placed in hearts and minds at Pentecost:
You are right there is a change to a higher level at Pentecost.

The last change yet to come:
At the last trump we shall see him face to face and the through a glass darkly will be gone.

Excellent subject.

eddif

There are two or three reasons for Jesus not being recognized.

The physical:
Jesus was so physically changed by the Crucifixion that he was not recognized except by voice and doctrine.

The mindset of the Law:
The prophets spoke of things they really did not fully understand, and longed to understand (especially suffering).

The law placed in hearts and minds at Pentecost:
You are right there is a change to a higher level at Pentecost.

The last change yet to come:
At the last trump we shall see him face to face and the through a glass darkly will be gone.

Excellent subject.

eddif
They perhaps didn't have a complete understanding in the crucifixion and resurrection redemption plan until after Jesus had risen and appeared alive to Him. That's a far cry from didn't have a clue He was the Christ. And we know Peter was a disciple so when he denied knowing Jesus that was a lie prompted by fear for his life as God allowed Peter to be sifted by evil spirits. Beforehand Jesus prayed that Peter's faith might not fail and when he returned to he was instructed to strengthen his brothers. Cleopas and his companion who thought Jesus was the one who would redeem Israel and were shocked at the crucifixion at first didn't recognize the one speaking to them because God kept them from knowing who was speaking to them until that vail was lifted.

So it was a learning process for even the pillars of the faith such as the Apostles.
As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus gave them orders not to tell anyone what they had seen until the Son of Man had risen from the dead. 10They kept the matter to themselves, discussing what “rising from the dead” meant

There were so many things unknown to them that caused them to faulter even though they knew Jesus.
We have so much advantage over the disciples today in having the written gospel with us to fill in those blanks .
The apostles having to figure it out from scratch.
Remember Jesus telling them that " there are many things I wish to tell you, BUT YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO BEAR THEM NOW".
One thing that they eventually came to know is that it was all done in coordination with God's final purpose.
Helpful information for us in the midst of our trials .

Again, the circumstances with Peter and the other Disciples are a demonstration of God's Power. Isn't it obvious?

Luke 9:43-45 CSB - "And they were all astonished at the greatness of God. While everyone was amazed at all the things he was doing, he told his disciples, "Let these words sink in: The Son of Man is about to be betrayed into the hands of men." But they did not understand this statement; it was concealed from them so that they could not grasp it, and they were afraid to ask him about it."

Power. We are supposed to recognize the Power of God first and foremost throughout the Bible, for in by doing so, genuine Fear of the Lord might actually exist (within a person's heart).

Proverbs 9:10 CSB - "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. "

100%

These are the things that I have thought about hundreds of times over the past several years. What happened to Peter's thinking is a New Testament reflection of what God was doing to individuals, groups of people, and even entire Nations in the Old Testament. What we see with Peter is a demonstration of the Power of God. The denial of Peter [was] going to take place, and it didn't matter if the Spirit had been revealed or not . . . Peter's heart would somehow become hardened, though previously it was not hardened whatsoever.

Prophesy had to be fulfilled; thus the Power of God is what we are ultimately looking at, here. And it is simply mind-boggling . . . His Raw, Almighty Power. Peter was ashamed of himself after his denials of Christ, and even Judas Iscariot came to his senses and ultimately killed himself for what he had done (to Jesus) with the assistance of the Devil. Imagine that . . . Judas does the will of Satan, and what's his reward? Hell.

Anyway, in reading the Old Testament, from here on out, note how many times our God takes responsibility for controlling the way entire Nations think and behave. God isn't shy about taking responsibility for Nations being nearly wiped out. At times, the Lord would control the minds of the enemies of Israel and turn themselves and their swords against each other. Israel didn't need to lift a finger, nor be frightened . . . et . . . all. They would certainly all have stood, and watched in utter disbelief as they witnessed their attackers begin killing and maiming each other. They knew what happened . . . the Lord God Almighty fought their battle for them once again. And how did the Lord do it? By changing they way they thought. And by changing the way these people thought, their behaviors followed their new path.

That is how Powerful God is. Not only can He part entire seas, but control the way humans think . . . and even make a doney speak human language.

Fear of the Lord (We should all have it)
Who can truly know the mind of God!!!

Nope, I'm not a screamer the !!! was just emphasis only on how any of us can truly know the mind of God in all He does and His purposes. We be good :)

Good to hear.

The Mind of God is something inconceivable, for the Lord is so utterly Powerful, we must be absolutely Purified before we can withstand His Holy presence. In fact, His presence is so Powerful, I almost died the most amazing and incredible death by that Power. I wish that He had taken me that day.

Good to hear.

The Mind of God is something inconceivable, for the Lord is so utterly Powerful, we must be absolutely Purified before we can withstand His Holy presence. In fact, His presence is so Powerful, I almost died the most amazing and incredible death by that Power. I wish that He had taken me that day.
To know Him is to love Him and can't wait to be with Him in the New Jerusalem. :sohappy

and can't wait to be with Him in the New Jerusalem.

In the blink of an eye, we will be there my friend. What awaits us is absolutely shocking. Being in the Holy presence of God isn't something that we can effectively describe with human words. We can do our very best, but mere human descriptions of the Powerful Peace and Love of God is difficult to come by. As the years go by, I still find new ways of describing what happened to me . . . human words can never convey the True Power of God.

Just wait . . . and all of your sacrifices, the denial of self in order to obey . . . it will be worth it. Believe me.

My understanding is that at the moment before the blade falls (or as it's falling) that the Lord snatches us out of our body to be with Him. So there will be no pain, and there is the Lord.

When Stephen was being stoned, scripture says the Heavens opened for him. Stephen was in no pain at that point. Just the joy of the Lord.

In the blink of an eye, we will be there my friend.

That's not what it says, lol. It says in the twinkling of an eye. The twinkling of an eye is much faster than the blink of an eye!

A twinkling of the eye, technically means, the amount of time that it takes light to travel through the cornea of your eye and be projected onto our visual screen behind it. The distance is close and light travels very fast.

Lol.

Back