Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The First Communion

When was the first communion celebrated?

• Emmaus

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

GodsGrace

Staff member
CF Ambassador
There is differing opinion as to when the first communion was celebrated.

Was it at the Last Supper...

Luke 22:13-20
13 They left and found things just as Jesus had told them.(H) So they prepared the Passover.

14 When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles(I) reclined at the table.(J) 15 And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer.(K) 16 For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.”(L)

17 After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and divide it among you. 18 For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”

19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it,(M) and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant(N) in my blood, which is poured out for you.

Or when Jesus broke the bread with His two disciples at Emmaus...

Luke 24:28-32
28 As they approached the village to which they were going, Jesus continued on as if he were going farther. 29 But they urged him strongly, “Stay with us, for it is nearly evening; the day is almost over.” So he went in to stay with them.

30 When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it(P) and began to give it to them. 31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him,(Q) and he disappeared from their sight. 32 They asked each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us(R) while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures(S) to us?”

13 They left and found things just as Jesus had told them.(H) So they prepared the Passover.

14 When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles(I) reclined at the table.(J) 15 And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer.(K) 16 For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.”(L)

17 After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and divide it among you. 18 For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”

19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it,(M) and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant(N) in my blood, which is poured out for you.

28 As they approached the village to which they were going, Jesus continued on as if he were going farther. 29 But they urged him strongly, “Stay with us, for it is nearly evening; the day is almost over.” So he went in to stay with them.

30 When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it(P) and began to give it to them. 31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him,(Q) and he disappeared from their sight. 32 They asked each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us(R) while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures(S) to us?”
Luke 24 is speaking about after the Resurrection of Christ from the tomb, so no, vs. 28-32 is not talking about partaking of the bread and the wine with His disciples on the evening of Passover, which would be the first communion.

It's interesting to note that for forty days before Christ ascended up to the Father that those who Christ walked with and talked to did not recognize Him at first. If I knew that someone died and all of a sudden they were before me I think I would recognize them and probably be very confused.

Maunday Thursday
Maundy Thursday (Holy Thursday) is the day during Holy Week that commemorates the washing of the feet and the last supper of Christ with His disciples. It is the fifth day of Holy week, preceded by Holy Wednesday and followed by Good Friday.

Maundy Thursday (Holy Thursday) is the day during Holy Week that commemorates the washing of the feet and the last supper of Christ with His disciples. It is the fifth day of Holy week, preceded by Holy Wednesday and followed by Good Friday.
Please note that "Good Friday" cannot be the day He died. The day following Jesus' death was a "High Day" (John 19:31). That means that it was a Sabbath that was not on a Saturday. This happened when a particular day of the month (rather than a day of the week) was designated as a Sabbath.

The day of crucifixion could not have been Friday. I have heard arguments that it could have been Wednesday, but I don't think the timeline works for it. I think Jesus died on Thursday, and His body laid in the tomb all of Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and He rose shortly after sunset on Saturday night/Sunday morning (modern reckoning vs Jewish reckoning). This would fulfill the statement in Matt 12:40 that He would be in the grave three days and three nights. There are not three nights between Friday evening and Sunday morning, so Friday would be way too late for it to fit fully into Scripture.

Please note that "Good Friday" cannot be the day He died. The day following Jesus' death was a "High Day" (John 19:31). That means that it was a Sabbath that was not on a Saturday. This happened when a particular day of the month (rather than a day of the week) was designated as a Sabbath.

The day of crucifixion could not have been Friday. I have heard arguments that it could have been Wednesday, but I don't think the timeline works for it. I think Jesus died on Thursday, and His body laid in the tomb all of Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and He rose shortly after sunset on Saturday night/Sunday morning (modern reckoning vs Jewish reckoning). This would fulfill the statement in Matt 12:40 that He would be in the grave three days and three nights. There are not three nights between Friday evening and Sunday morning, so Friday would be way too late for it to fit fully into Scripture.
I never said Jesus was put to death on a Friday. I was explaining what Maundy Thursday meant. I would love to discuss this further, but will not derail the OP so we need to stay on topic.

It was at the so-called "last supper". Jesus established the ritual then, not with two men at dinner. He didn't tell them to have bread and wine -- His body and blood -- in remembrance of Him.

It was at the so-called "last supper". Jesus established the ritual then, not with two men at dinner. He didn't tell them to have bread and wine -- His body and blood -- in remembrance of Him.
OK. This is one of the options.

Just want to say that Jesus didn't tell the 2 disciples anything regarding the bread and wine....but when He took the bread, He BLESSED it, just as He did at the Last Supper, and then He broke it, just like He did at the Last Supper, and this is when the 2 disciples recognized Him.

And isn't the bread and wine blessed and broken at Communion?

Just a thought.

Luke 24 is speaking about after the Resurrection of Christ from the tomb, so no, vs. 28-32 is not talking about partaking of the bread and the wine with His disciples on the evening of Passover, which would be the first communion.

It's interesting to note that for forty days before Christ ascended up to the Father that those who Christ walked with and talked to did not recognize Him at first. If I knew that someone died and all of a sudden they were before me I think I would recognize them and probably be very confused.
I agree with the second paragraph.
Also, His appearance probably changed somewhat.

So we have 3 for the Last Supper.
Personally, I'm undecided.

IOW,,,could Jesus have been offering His very own body and blood while He was still alive?
Would He say, DO THIS IN MEMORY OF ME,,,,before He died?

Just thoughts.

Isn't Maundy Thursday when the Last Supper was eaten??
Then Jesus was taken to the Sanhedrin and Herod (Antipas) and Pilot (after the supper)
and was crucified on Friday.

Then Jesus was taken to the Sanhedrin and Herod (Antipas) and Pilot (after the supper)
No. The Last Supper was eaten on Wednesday evening, and He was arrested on Thursday morning (before sunrise) and tried/crucified on Thursday morning/afternoon.

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread. Just answering the question. I will start a new thread (tomorrow) to begin a more in-depth discussion.

No. The Last Supper was eaten on Wednesday evening, and He was arrested on Thursday morning (before sunrise) and tried/crucified on Thursday morning/afternoon.

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread. Just answering the question. I will start a new thread (tomorrow) to begin a more in-depth discussion.
I don't mind some derail,,,but this would REALLY take it off-track.
I've heard this before ... the 15th of Nissan, or something like that.
Start the thread! I'll be checking it out.

You could still answer, however.
Was the first communion at the Last Supper? (whenever that was).

Please check off on the vote feature. (I'm losing count!)
There's no right or wrong to this --- there is differing opinion theologically.
I just thought this would be interesting.

IOW,,,could Jesus have been offering His very own body and blood while He was still alive?
Would He say, DO THIS IN MEMORY OF ME,,,,before He died?
A little confused by your statement as Jesus did offer up His body and His blood on His own accord as no man could take it from Him.

John 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
John 10:18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

It's odd to me that only Luke and Paul, who were not at the Passover meal with Jesus and His Disciples, wrote Jesus saying, "do this in remembrance of me". Being that it was a Passover meal as a memorial of the exodus they were to keep every year, Exodus 12:14, and Jesus knowing it was time to fulfill the sacrificial law of the Temple, when He said do this in remembrance of me it was like that of the exodus where the Israelites were set free by the hand of God and now through the last sacrificial Lamb being Christ Jesus all can be set free from sin. As we partake of the bread and of the wine we do this in remembrance of the body and the blood of Christ.

As oft as you do this, do it in remembrance of me as I led you out of the exodus of sin being the Good Shepherd.

Paul gives directions regarding the Lord’s Supper in 1Corinthians 11:23-29. Some have misunderstood verse 26, which says: "As often as ye eat this bread and drink this cup," and interpret it to say "take it as often as you please" But it does not say that! It says "as often" as we observe it, "ye do show the Lord’s death till He come." And Jesus commanded, "This do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me." We do it in remembrance of the Lord’s death as a memorial of His death. And memorials of momentous occasions always are observed annually, once a year, on the anniversary of the event they commemorate.

Jesus instituted this New Testament ordinance on the eve of His death. It was the 14th Abib/Nisan, March/April Hebrew Lunar calendar. He was our Passover, sacrificed for us and He was sacrificed on the same exact day of the year that the Passover lambs always had been slain, Exodus 12:1-6. As the Old Testament Passover commemorated Israel’s deliverance from Egypt, a type of sin, so the New Testament Lord’s Supper is a continuation of the Passover with different emblems commemorates Jesus' death, and our deliverance from sin. Immediately after the last Supper, Jesus and His disciples went out to Gethsemane, where later that night, Judas Iscariot led the bloodthirsty mob who seized Jesus, and led him away to be crucified during the morning of the 14th day of the month of Abib. Matthew 26:1-5.​

The Passover is described in Exodus 12 being the 14th of the first month of the new year being Nisan (March April) according to the Jewish Lunar Solar Calendar. The Feast of Unleavened Bread is the 15th day of Nisan/April, Exodus 12:6, which begins Thursday after sundown and ends Friday at sundown. Nisan 15 being a Sabbath never changes even if current dates do not match up year after year.

Exodus 12:1-12 God gives instruction for the meal before He passes over Egypt killing the firstborn beginning at midnight. Notice they were to be fully dressed with staffs in their hands as they sat inside their dwellings and at this meal in the evening. If anything was left over from their lambs it was to be burnt up in the morning before they began their journey out of Egypt.

Hebrew weekly Sabbath starts Friday night at sunset and ends Saturday night at sunset. This was a different Sabbath called a High Sabbath not like the weekly Sabbath. This High Sabbath began the first day at sunset through the last day at sunset during the Feast of Unleavened Bread, Exodus 12:14, 15. Beginning the 14th at sunset making it Saturday the 15th to Friday the 21st at sunset. Passover is annual and not a weekly Sabbath as it is the High Sabbath that begins the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread and no one was to do any labor on that day as it was a day of holy assembling. Luke 23:52-54; John 19:31, 42; Leviticus 23:6-8.

Seeing that this was a High Sabbath that started at sunset on the 14th making it Saturday, the beginning day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread would have been prepared on Wednesday the 12th that Jesus ate supper with His disciples being the last supper, not the Passover Seder. On the 12th at sunset begins Thursday the 13th being the Fast of the Firstborn.

Wednesday the 12th after the disciples sat and ate with Jesus in the evening being the last supper Jesus would eat with them being in the very place in the upper room where they were told by Jesus to prepare the passover meal. The disciples went with Him that evening, possibly after sunset making it Thursday the 13th (some call it Maundy Thursday) as He went to pray in the garden in Gethsemane.

(Note: this was not the Passover Seder, but only the last supper Jesus would eat with His disciples. Passover meal would not begin until after sunset on Friday the 14th when the 15th day begins at sunset at the end of the 14th)

Wednesday the 12th Jesus was betrayed by Judas then arrested and brought before the Sanhedrin. Thursday the 13th very early in the morning Jesus was brought before Pilate who passed sentence on Jesus and according to Roman law He was scourged and nailed to the cross about the third hour (3:00 PM) and died at the ninth hour (6:00PM) the same day when the Passover lambs were killed, Exodus 12:1-6.

Jesus was laid in the borrowed tomb on Thursday the 13th in the evening before sunset making it the 1st day and the 1st night (14th) that He died. So we have Thursday being the first day and first night – Friday 2nd day and 2nd night – Saturday 3rd day 3rd night being raised sometime between Saturday after sunset and sunrise Sunday morning.​

You do not have to start a new thread as we can discuss it here as it is now part of @wonderings thread she is asking questions of us.

Back