Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Friendly African Ground Squirrel

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Vince

On another computer, I'm upgrading Linux from "Wily Werewolf" to "Xenial Xerus" ("Friendly African Ground Squirrel"). It should take a few hours, and then we can discuss it on this thread.
PS. I'm not the one who invents these names, okay?

You have to admit that it's a great name.

It took about two hours to install and I am having no problems. All my downloads survived the trip.

It runs faster, although I can't figure out why.

I seriously hope you come up with something. My wife is running Vista, and it is a slow mess.

Xenial Xerus is running well, but it wants me to update some drivers. Is there a "System Restore Point" that I can set first?

On another computer, I'm upgrading Linux from "Wily Werewolf" to "Xenial Xerus" ("Friendly African Ground Squirrel"). It should take a few hours, and then we can discuss it on this thread.
PS. I'm not the one who invents these names, okay?
LOL! And in my best Texan, "Me either!"

Xenial Xerus is running well, but it wants me to update some drivers. Is there a "System Restore Point" that I can set first?
No, and you will not need it. The old drivers are available through Synaptic and the Terminal. And the Terminal Commands can be found with a Google search or by asking in the beginners forums at the Ubuntu, the Linix, and the LinuxQuestions Forums.

You have to admit that "Friendly African Ground Squirrels" is one of the best names ever for an operating system.

Bill, are you saying that I can download the Gnome desktop on top of my current Linux system, or do I have to install a whole new Linux system?

You can go either way but it is much faster and a lot less trouble to just install the Gnome, or the Cinnamon, or the desktop of choice from Synaptic or the Ubuntu Software Center. After it is downloaded and installed reboot and if you did not bypass logging in with the password, before entering the PW you will now see a small icon in the right, top corner of the login box. Click the box and select the desktop you wish to log into, enter the PW and it will take a few seconds but only the first login as it changes the Desk Top settings.

With the Gnome Desktop you will have four desktops to select from. One is Unity (Ubuntu default) and three versions of Gnome, one of the similar to but way different from Unity.

If I were you I would use the Software Center to install Gnome.

Oh, SPIT! I am getting decrepit! If you chose not to Log In, do not fret. Log off and to log back in you need your password and change desktops there. Someone needs to bar me from any Tech forum... I'm getting to old, ask any of the kids, they'll tell you!

I was thinking Vince, Deja Vu I believe is the Back-up preferred for Ubuntu and though I have never used it, it might make you fell better about updates.

I seriously hope you come up with something. My wife is running Vista, and it is a slow mess.
Vista is a resource hog, that is why it is slow and even slower without it being kept defragged and other factors such as not enough RAM for multitasking and the age of the computer can make it run slow.

Back