Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Galatian Suppositions

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

netchaplain

Paul was admonishing the Galatian Churches by informing them that the admixture of the Law with the Gospel of Christ was an attempt by the false teachers to “pervert” the Gospel of Christ (1:7), and nowhere in this Epistle does there exist any conclusions that suggests the Galatian Christians accepted and followed them. Since this Epistle is absent of any confirmation of such, the phrase “soon removed” can be understood in the sense of only considering their enticement. Therefore, the meaning of “you are fallen from grace” (5:4) can be paraphrased as “it would be as though you have fallen from grace.”

“Whosoever of you are justified by the law” - On the supposition that any of you are justified by the Law; or if, as you seem to suppose, any are justified by the Law (Act 13:39; Gal 3:11; 5:4). The apostle does not say that this had in fact ever occurred; but he merely makes a supposition. If such a thing should or could occur, it would follow that you had fallen from grace. – Albert Barnes (1798-1870)

The following is to show that though some of the Galatian believers were deceived (“bewitched” – 3:1) enough to at least consider accepting the error, it never became acceptable to them:

Gal 1:6: “So soon removed” is Paul’s reproving them here and it seems fair enough to carry the sense that they were only considering the false doctrine; which is shown below, that no conclusion is ever made that they did so.

Vs 7-9: One wouldn’t think the Galatian disciples would give false teachers much heed after Paul let them know that they were teaching a perverted doctrine, which was to attempt an admixture of the two dispensations of law and grace (which would doctrinally detract from both).

2:5: So “that the truth of the Gospel might continue with you” displays that they have yet to follow them.

3:1: “That ye should not obey the truth”; if this was in a conclusive sense, it could have been stated, “that you do not obey the truth, instead of “that you should not.”

Vs 2-5: Paul establishes they have the Holy Spirit by asking the redundant questions, which I think exemplifies indecisiveness, esp. considering the statement, “if it be yet in vain,” of which clearly shows (in my opinion) the undecided position of these believers.

Gal 4:9: The phrase, “why do you want to go back again” (NLT), only establishes a “desire” and not a completed action.

V 11: “Unless I have labored for you in vain,” is also demonstrative of an inconclusive position, which could otherwise be, “I have labored in vain.”

V 12: Establishes that though they were saved (had the Spirit – 3:2), he was urging them you to become like him, which I believe was to mature in Christ – v 19.

V 21: Again, “ye that desire to be under the law” indicates an inconclusive position.

Gal 5:1: Paul admonishing them to remain or “stand fast in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free” is indicative they have not yet turned to the false teaching. Same for v 2, “if ye be circumcised,” instead of “since you are circumcised.”

V4: A hyperbolic phrase, as one cannot “fall from grace” any more than one can be justified by the Law (3:11)!

V 7: “That you should not obey the truth” would be “that you do not obey the truth!

V10: “I have confidence in you through the Lord, that ye will be none otherwise minded.” Confirming evidence that they have not capitulated their Christion position.

Gal 6:12: “They constrain you to be circumcised,” instead of “they have constrained you to be circumcised.”

V13: They “desire to have you circumcised,” and not they “you were circumcised” (most of those in the churches in Galatia were Gentile Christians, and so were not circumcised).

Well, that just tears the whole letter to the Galatians to threads.
I'll have to consider each statement.
Thanks for giving me something worthwhile to do.

Paul was admonishing the Galatian Churches by informing them that the admixture of the Law with the Gospel of Christ was an attempt by the false teachers to “pervert” the Gospel of Christ (1:7), and nowhere in this Epistle does there exist any conclusions that suggests the Galatian Christians accepted and followed them. Since this Epistle is absent of any confirmation of such, the phrase “soon removed” can be understood in the sense of only considering their enticement. Therefore, the meaning of “you are fallen from grace” (5:4) can be paraphrased as “it would be as though you have fallen from grace.”

“Whosoever of you are justified by the law” - On the supposition that any of you are justified by the Law; or if, as you seem to suppose, any are justified by the Law (Act 13:39; Gal 3:11; 5:4). The apostle does not say that this had in fact ever occurred; but he merely makes a supposition. If such a thing should or could occur, it would follow that you had fallen from grace. – Albert Barnes (1798-1870)

The following is to show that though some of the Galatian believers were deceived (“bewitched” – 3:1) enough to at least consider accepting the error, it never became acceptable to them:

Gal 1:6: “So soon removed” is Paul’s reproving them here and it seems fair enough to carry the sense that they were only considering the false doctrine; which is shown below, that no conclusion is ever made that they did so.

Vs 7-9: One wouldn’t think the Galatian disciples would give false teachers much heed after Paul let them know that they were teaching a perverted doctrine, which was to attempt an admixture of the two dispensations of law and grace (which would doctrinally detract from both).

2:5: So “that the truth of the Gospel might continue with you” displays that they have yet to follow them.

3:1: “That ye should not obey the truth”; if this was in a conclusive sense, it could have been stated, “that you do not obey the truth, instead of “that you should not.”

Vs 2-5: Paul establishes they have the Holy Spirit by asking the redundant questions, which I think exemplifies indecisiveness, esp. considering the statement, “if it be yet in vain,” of which clearly shows (in my opinion) the undecided position of these believers.

Gal 4:9: The phrase, “why do you want to go back again” (NLT), only establishes a “desire” and not a completed action.

V 11: “Unless I have labored for you in vain,” is also demonstrative of an inconclusive position, which could otherwise be, “I have labored in vain.”

V 12: Establishes that though they were saved (had the Spirit – 3:2), he was urging them you to become like him, which I believe was to mature in Christ – v 19.

V 21: Again, “ye that desire to be under the law” indicates an inconclusive position.

Gal 5:1: Paul admonishing them to remain or “stand fast in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free” is indicative they have not yet turned to the false teaching. Same for v 2, “if ye be circumcised,” instead of “since you are circumcised.”

V4: A hyperbolic phrase, as one cannot “fall from grace” any more than one can be justified by the Law (3:11)!

V 7: “That you should not obey the truth” would be “that you do not obey the truth!

V10: “I have confidence in you through the Lord, that ye will be none otherwise minded.” Confirming evidence that they have not capitulated their Christion position.

Gal 6:12: “They constrain you to be circumcised,” instead of “they have constrained you to be circumcised.”

V13: They “desire to have you circumcised,” and not they “you were circumcised” (most of those in the churches in Galatia were Gentile Christians, and so were not circumcised).

Interesting. I see it more as a balance between His grace and our obedience through a deep personal relationship with God rather than grace vs Law. Do I have it right?

Interesting. I see it more as a balance between His grace and our obedience through a deep personal relationship with God rather than grace vs Law. Do I have it right?
Hi, and thanks for the comment! I see no problem with it, but I see it not as a balance concerning our obedience, but that our obedience is the result or manifestation of the grace received. Obedience doesn't effect salvation but shows we possess it, as it requires the work of grace to become obedient. Christ's expiation for us is only what imparts forgiveness.

Back