Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The Gift Of Repentance

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

WalterandDebbie

Sabbath Overseer
Saturday 5-14-22 7th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Iyar 12, 5782 56th. Spring Day

Day 27 ― Yesod of Netzach: Bonding in Endurance

Bonding is an essential quality of endurance. It expresses your unwavering commitment to the person or experience you are bonding with, a commitment so powerful that you will endure all to preserve it. Endurance without bonding will not endure.

Exercise for the day: To ensure the endurance of your new resolution, bond with it immediately. This can be assured by promptly actualizing your resolution in some constructive deed or committing yourself to another.

The Gift of Repentance

[IMG]

Read: Joel 2:12–14 | Bible in a Year: 2 Kings 19–21; John 4:1–30
Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and compassionate. Joel 2:13

“No! I didn’t do it!” Jane heard her teenage son’s denial with a sinking heart, for she knew he wasn’t telling the truth. She breathed a prayer asking God for help before asking Simon again what happened.

He continued to deny he was lying, until finally she threw her hands up in exasperation. Saying she needed a time out, she began to walk away when she felt a hand on her shoulder and heard his apology. He responded to the convicting of the Holy Spirit, and repented.

In the Old Testament book of Joel, God called His people to true repentance for their sins as He welcomed them to return to Him wholeheartedly (2:12). God didn’t seek outward acts of remorse, but rather that they would soften their hard attitudes: “Rend your heart and not your garments.” Joel reminded the Israelites that God is “gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love” (v. 13).

We might find confessing our wrongdoing difficult, for in our pride we don’t want to admit our sins. Perhaps we’ve fudged the truth, and we justify our actions by saying it was only “a little white lie.” But when we heed God’s gentle yet firm prompting to repent, He’ll forgive us and cleanse us from all our sins (1 John 1:9). We can be free of guilt and shame, knowing we’re forgiven.

How did you feel when you told a “little white lie?” How did the realization of what you did bring conviction and ultimately repentance?

Jesus, You died on the cross so I’d be able to live in harmony with You and the Father. May I accept Your gift of love as I speak truthfully.

INSIGHT
Describing a coming “day of the Lord” (Joel 2:1) in which God would both decisively deal with evil and bring salvation to the world, Joel urged God’s people to repent and pray. For those in rebellion against God, the “day of the Lord” is a cause for alarm and fear (v. 1), “a day of darkness and gloom” (v. 2).

“The day of the Lord is great; it is dreadful. Who can endure it?” (v. 11). But soon after these ominous words, Joel described an entirely different way God’s people could experience this “day.”

Joel reminded his hearers of who God revealed Himself to be to Moses—“gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity” (v. 13). This was a God who would respond to their repentance not by bringing destruction but by providing restoration and abundance (vv. 14, 21–25).

By Amy Boucher Pye|May 14th, 2022

Repentance Joel Two:12-14

12 Therefore also now, saith the Lord, turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning:

13 And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the Lord your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil.

14 Who knoweth if he will return and repent, and leave a blessing behind him; even a meat offering and a drink offering unto the Lord your God?

Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie

I used to have a strong emphasis on repentance, but did not understand the emotional freedom of love made true in ones heart, with all the boundaries and protections that make it work.

In evangelical churches the altar call was very common, but the relationships often did not reflect the application of love set free in ones heart, reigning in Christ but rather sadness and failure at our weakness. But saying sorry is all about establishing a relationship, it is not the sorry that is the relationship rather the sin that is the thing that blocks it.

I spent sometime with a relative in law, who does not know how to express their own feelings or respond to others in one on one situations. It is amazing how a lack of response is draining and difficult because it leaves you wondering how things actually came across and how things are going or likely to go in the future. The feeling soon becomes if you do not care for me, why should I put more effort in.

It made me think of the Lord and how much effort He puts in. How often do we say or hear, I want to hear from the Lord. It is odd because scripture is full of His heart, His desire, His way, His love, His giving, His being and support. But we have heard the words often thousands of times, without the feeling of what they actually mean and how gracious He really is. He took 3 years to make friends with the apostles, and that was enough. It was enough because He gave His all and said all that needed to be said. But we in our confusion want so much more, or we think we do, because we are so lost and confused we cannot see what we really need and to know how to "Be still and know that I am God"

The charismatic movement learnt what happens when we begin to grasp this eternal reality. And the first step is repentance, yet it is to establish this open door to the King of Kings. God bless you

The scriptures says not to lean on our own understanding/thoughts

What understanding and thoughts did the author of the link rely upon since I know there is no scripture that says, "repentance is a gift of God not of yourselves nor your own choice."
Walter: I have also come unto this below understanding.

Is Repentance a Command or a Gift?​

“I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes.” Ezekiel 36:26–27We need to pray for repentance.

But you may be asking, “Isn’t repentance something God tells us to do?” In other words: Is repentance something God commands, or is it something he gives?

Repentance is a command. God “commands all people everywhere to repent” (Acts 17:30).

But repentance is also a gift. In Acts 11:18, we read that “to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.” And in 2 Timothy 2:25, Paul says that we must gently instruct those who oppose us in the hope that “God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth.”
God grants repentance.

So you can ask God to give you a contrite heart. You can ask him to change your heart. You can cry out to him “Lord, restore repentance!”

This is the promise of the gospel: God will give you a new heart (Ezek. 36:26–27).

That’s why we can pray for God to restore repentance. In this prayer, you are asking God to change your stubborn heart. You are asking God, “Pour out your Spirit on me. Cause me to hate what you hate and love what you love. I can’t get there on my own.”

Knowing that repentance is both a command and a gift from God, how might this change the way you pray?

Love, Walter

Last edited:
Walter:

Is Repentance a Command or a Gift?​

“I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes.” Ezekiel 36:26–27We need to pray for repentance.

But you may be asking, “Isn’t repentance something God tells us to do?” In other words: Is repentance something God commands, or is it something he gives?

Repentance is a command. God “commands all people everywhere to repent” (Acts 17:30).

But repentance is also a gift. In Acts 11:18, we read that “to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.” And in 2 Timothy 2:25, Paul says that we must gently instruct those who oppose us in the hope that “God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth.”
God grants repentance.

So you can ask God to give you a contrite heart. You can ask him to change your heart. You can cry out to him “Lord, restore repentance!”

This is the promise of the gospel: God will give you a new heart (Ezek. 36:26–27).

That’s why we can pray for God to restore repentance. In this prayer, you are asking God to change your stubborn heart. You are asking God, “Pour out your Spirit on me. Cause me to hate what you hate and love what you love. I can’t get there on my own.”

Knowing that repentance is both a command and a gift from God, how might this change the way you pray?

Love, Walter
Thank you Walter, this is at least a dialogue.

The problem with calling repentance “a gift” is still
that no one in the Bible views repentance as a gift. It is a work that comes from the conviction of the Holy Spirit.

“When he (the HS) comes he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment:”

Repentance is then our choice. He doesn’t enable some to repent and not others. None of the scriptures above establish that repentance is a gift. A gift implies you do nothing as gifts are not earned.

Repentance above all interactions with the Lord is something we yield to and embrace. It is definitely NOT something done to us and we are passive. I have received gifts from God and beyond asking, one is amazingly passive. The gifts of God are all received passively. Repentance is very actively. One can refused to repent even.

So I think saying repentance is a gift communicates false understanding. We are commanded to love but love is not a gift. We are commanded to
forgive but forgiving others is not a gift.

Otherwise we can ask for a clean heart. We can ask to hate what he hates. All that is very good.

Blessings
D

Thank you Walter, this is at least a dialogue.

that no one in the Bible views repentance as a gift. It is a work that comes from the conviction of the Holy Spirit.

“When he (the HS) comes he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment:”

Repentance is then our choice. He doesn’t enable some to repent and not others. None of the scriptures above establish that repentance is a gift. A gift implies you do nothing as gifts are not earned.

Repentance above all interactions with the Lord is something we yield to and embrace. It is definitely NOT something done to us and we are passive. I have received gifts from God and beyond asking, one is amazingly passive. The gifts of God are all received passively. Repentance is very actively. One can refused to repent even.

So I think saying repentance is a gift communicates false understanding. We are commanded to love but love is not a gift. We are commanded to
forgive but forgiving others is not a gift.

Otherwise we can ask for a clean heart. We can ask to hate what he hates. All that is very good.

Blessings
D
Thank you Dorothy for your input.

Love, Walter and Debbie

Repentance is not a gift.
18 When they heard this, they had no further objections and praised God, saying, "So then, God has granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life."
Acts 11:18

25 Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,
26 and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will
2 Tim 2:25-26

These verses imply God has to grant people the ability to repent before they can come to faith.
New birth is a gift of God, born of the Holy Spirit. One cannot enter the Kingdom unless born from on High.

Many are called, few are chosen. Now if I look at these words on an emotional level rather than analytical, it suggests different forces at work at the same time, with different views. I am not a calvanist, but the Lord calls all but chooses a few. But this choice is about the seed taking root and growing, the open heart walking in faith, and transformation taking place.

I am personally torn between the idea of a seed growing into a plant and saying at this point or that point it is truly a developed plant, when over a period of time it is clear that which is fully developed and that which fails. Paul was very aware of this perspective as he declared

22 But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation--
23 if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.
Col 1:22=23

So when we say God granted them to repentance, we are just talking about the start of the path of communion and fellowship, tested over time and situation to bring to the completion at a later time. So I would suggest calling repentance a gift is true, but all may be given a sense of unworthiness and desire for cleansing, but be unable to find this release. You see this in many religions and groups who desire to find God and prove themselves worth of acceptance etc. And everything God gives us is a gift, the gift of writing this post, of continued life and blessing to continue to share. God bless you

In Acts 11:18, we read that “to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.”
Acts 11:18 calls to mind an earlier passage of Acts (5:30-32):
The God of our fathers raised Jesus, whom you killed by hanging him on a tree. God exalted him at his right hand as Leader and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins. And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.
First repentance was granted to Israel in 5:30-32, and then to the Gentiles in 11:18. Repentance itself is not a gift because not all Gentiles have repented, so the Calvinistic concept of irresistible grace is not supported by the Scripture. So what then does it mean? Recall John 12:32:
And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.
To be "lifted up" is crucifixion (see 3:14; 8:28). It is very similar to Acts 5:30-32, wherein Christ is exalted and gives repentance. Clearly not all repent, so the drawing must be resistible. John Wesley comments on John 6:44 ("No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day"):
Not by compulsion, not by laying the will under any necessity; but by the strong and sweet, yet still resistible, motions of his heavenly grace.
Calvinists view 6:44 as irresistible for the elect only, but because of 12:32, it is clear that the drawing is for the non-elect.

Therefore, the granting of repentance in Acts 11:18 refers to the opportunity to repent, since Christ "draws all people" to himself, that is, grants them the opportunity.

As for 2 Tim. 2:25, we see the Lord's servant must be able to
correct his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.
Remarkably, some Calvinists think that the "capturing" is where God captures Christians to do his will. But that's definitely not true; it comes just after the "snare of the devil." It is the devil who captures, and God is the opposite. The granting of repentance clearly depends on man, since the prerequisite is to be able to correct the opponents with gentleness.

God speaks through the preacher, so when the preacher grants to unbelievers the opportunity to repent (granting it to them via their preaching; one cannot repent without hearing), it can be said to be God who is granting repentance.
The scriptures says not to lean on our own understanding/thoughts
Yet in saying this, one excludes their position from rational discussion.

18 When they heard this, they had no further objections and praised God, saying, "So then, God has granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life."
Acts 11:18

25 Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,
26 and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will
2 Tim 2:25-26

These verses imply God has to grant people the ability to repent before they can come to faith.
New birth is a gift of God, born of the Holy Spirit. One cannot enter the Kingdom unless born from on High.

Many are called, few are chosen. Now if I look at these words on an emotional level rather than analytical, it suggests different forces at work at the same time, with different views. I am not a calvanist, but the Lord calls all but chooses a few. But this choice is about the seed taking root and growing, the open heart walking in faith, and transformation taking place.

I am personally torn between the idea of a seed growing into a plant and saying at this point or that point it is truly a developed plant, when over a period of time it is clear that which is fully developed and that which fails. Paul was very aware of this perspective as he declared

22 But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation--
23 if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.
Col 1:22=23

So when we say God granted them to repentance, we are just talking about the start of the path of communion and fellowship, tested over time and situation to bring to the completion at a later time. So I would suggest calling repentance a gift is true, but all may be given a sense of unworthiness and desire for cleansing, but be unable to find this release. You see this in many religions and groups who desire to find God and prove themselves worth of acceptance etc. And everything God gives us is a gift, the gift of writing this post, of continued life and blessing to continue to share. God bless you
That God grants “an ability” is a huge assumption not in the text. “Granted” is vague and does not include ability. To assume so is to make God the one solely responsible for salvation is as bad arbitrarily deciding. I hate others insulting his character and this is one of those.

God shows people their sin and they respond in humility and repent or harden their hearts and refuse. That is most likely the “granting” he does.

Acts 11:18 calls to mind an earlier passage of Acts (5:30-32):

First repentance was granted to Israel in 5:30-32, and then to the Gentiles in 11:18. Repentance itself is not a gift because not all Gentiles have repented, so the Calvinistic concept of irresistible grace is not supported by the Scripture. So what then does it mean? Recall John 12:32:

To be "lifted up" is crucifixion (see 3:14; 8:28). It is very similar to Acts 5:30-32, wherein Christ is exalted and gives repentance. Clearly not all repent, so the drawing must be resistible. John Wesley comments on John 6:44 ("No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day"):

Calvinists view 6:44 as irresistible for the elect only, but because of 12:32, it is clear that the drawing is for the non-elect.

Therefore, the granting of repentance in Acts 11:18 refers to the opportunity to repent, since Christ "draws all people" to himself, that is, grants them the opportunity.

As for 2 Tim. 2:25, we see the Lord's servant must be able to

Remarkably, some Calvinists think that the "capturing" is where God captures Christians to do his will. But that's definitely not true; it comes just after the "snare of the devil." It is the devil who captures, and God is the opposite. The granting of repentance clearly depends on man, since the prerequisite is to be able to correct the opponents with gentleness.

God speaks through the preacher, so when the preacher grants to unbelievers the opportunity to repent (granting it to them via their preaching; one cannot repent without hearing), it can be said to be God who is granting repentance.

Yet in saying this, one excludes their position from rational discussion.
And those not given the “gift” just go to hell and the theology say, “bad luck!”

But it’s not a gift and no writer of the Bible thought so. Modern Christians like to call every thing an unearned “gift” so they bear no responsibility.
Sure, I'm just covering my butt bases. The Calvinist fails on two fronts: even if were a gift (which it isn't), it still would not prove their theology because no one thinks a gift is forced "irresistibly."

That God grants “an ability” is a huge assumption not in the text. “Granted” is vague and does not include ability. To assume so is to make God the one solely responsible for salvation is as bad arbitrarily deciding. I hate others insulting his character and this is one of those.

God shows people their sin and they respond in humility and repent or harden their hearts and refuse. That is most likely the “granting” he does.
I have learnt grace. You say people are insulting Gods character.
In a real way sin against the Lord and Jesus is part of what we see in our walk.

But I am called to almost be passive, in the sense point it out and move on.
I have learnt words and their definition is always a summary of something more profound, and often shows one aspect of the whole, maybe in some peoples background in error, while others as a complement to the whole.

I have been accused by some of denigrating Gods holiness by claiming Jesus purifies us through repentance and the Holy Spirit, walking in love. How dare I suggest God would dwell with man, that is exalting man up to the level of God.
It is ironic that this is the very accusation people made against Jesus. These folk who accused me got very angry.

It struck me wherever we stand, if we get angry it is often our miss-understanding of the Lord and others.
A pastor friend of mine who I was blessed through many years ago got involved with Benny Hinn and the prosperity gospel. It makes me wonder at my friends experience in the Lord and the foundation upon which he stands. I wanted to cut him off and suggest he had lost his way. I now see that the Lord is very gracious and at the right time will judge as He desires. I am just here to praise the Lord and share the folly of greed over money and influence rather than love and following the Lord. I cannot see anothers heart but I can share His love. Those who are called will prosper and grow and the rest does not need to be dealt with, because that often would cause more problems than resolution.

Jesus's people hear His voice and follow. Praise the Lord.
So I love the fact God speaks to people, and if He can give me gifts to serve and help His work, Amen.

God bless you

I have learnt grace. You say people are insulting Gods character.
In a real way sin against the Lord and Jesus is part of what we see in our walk.

But I am called to almost be passive, in the sense point it out and move on.
I have learnt words and their definition is always a summary of something more profound, and often shows one aspect of the whole, maybe in some peoples background in error, while others as a complement to the whole.

I have been accused by some of denigrating Gods holiness by claiming Jesus purifies us through repentance and the Holy Spirit, walking in love. How dare I suggest God would dwell with man, that is exalting man up to the level of God.
It is ironic that this is the very accusation people made against Jesus. These folk who accused me got very angry.

It struck me wherever we stand, if we get angry it is often our miss-understanding of the Lord and others.
A pastor friend of mine who I was blessed through many years ago got involved with Benny Hinn and the prosperity gospel. It makes me wonder at my friends experience in the Lord and the foundation upon which he stands. I wanted to cut him off and suggest he had lost his way. I now see that the Lord is very gracious and at the right time will judge as He desires. I am just here to praise the Lord and share the folly of greed over money and influence rather than love and following the Lord. I cannot see anothers heart but I can share His love. Those who are called will prosper and grow and the rest does not need to be dealt with, because that often would cause more problems than resolution.

Jesus's people hear His voice and follow. Praise the Lord.
So I love the fact God speaks to people, and if He can give me gifts to serve and help His work, Amen.

God bless you
OK

I don’t think your fully understanding Walter.

You and I are discussing Gods righteousness in another thread. In it I mentioned that if we continue to harden our heart, God may very well turn around and harden ours.
When God hardens our heart, Gods gift of repentance is no longer available.

Back