Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Gift Of Tounges.

Is the Gift of Tounges relevant to Our Generation?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Recently many threads have been discussing different aspects of the Gift of Tounges. Due to the popularity of this topic, I'm making this thread For this topic alone.

The First Question we should address, Does it still exist?

Second, Why do we discourage those with the gift of Tounges from using their Gift?

Go for it everyone.

The First Question we should address, Does it still exist?

I voted no, becuase tongues as we read in the NT are simply not what we hear in the churches today, even with so called interpretation, they are babble followed by a horoscope type interpretation. Perhaps God dopes use them from time to time, anything is possible however 99.99% of the time, they are nothing more then emotionally driven babble.

Second, Why do we discourage those with the gift of Tounges from using their Gift?

Sort of silly question, when God uses tongues HE is doing it. Not we...you can not encourage or discourage a beleiver from being used by God, any more then you can tell him to stop breathing.

We are taught in the bible however, to be aware of and to protect against false teachings and false spiritual things. So, if people are speaking in tongues and what they are doing is not in line with the bible, we are obligated to dispute, question and refute it.

I semi agree with the second point, the first I'm with. I really do feel that many Christians condemn thse with the gift of tounges, making them afraid to use the gift God gives them.

The Gift of Tongues was specigically given to the early church and it was not a senseless babble whihc so many people think that it is today. We see clearly in scripture that it was a spoken languege, God gave the ability to speak in a forieng tongue to the early believers so they could pread his gospel to people of all tongues. This gift doesn't exist any more.

What christain are doing today that they call tongues and sounds like sensless babble is nothing more than that. Senseless babble. Do you undertsand what it means (the person useing the 'tongues')? No? Of course not, and neither does God.

Frodo B. said:
The Gift of Tongues was specigically given to the early church and it was not a senseless babble whihc so many people think that it is today. We see clearly in scripture that it was a spoken languege, God gave the ability to speak in a forieng tongue to the early believers so they could pread his gospel to people of all tongues. This gift doesn't exist any more.

What christain are doing today that they call tongues and sounds like sensless babble is nothing more than that. Senseless babble. Do you undertsand what it means (the person useing the 'tongues')? No? Of course not, and neither does God.

I, my opinion, would not make such a blanket statement and go as far as to say the Gift of tounges does not exist anymore, but I agree that it's become very rare to see someone with the real gift and not a cheap knock off version. I do agree that many christians claim to have the gift of tounges but in fact are just mumbling. I will not agree, that all Christians are like this.

As I've said before, I've witnessed actual tounges, and I actually believe I have a video of a pastor refuting someone for speaking in tounges out of tern, not for speaking in false tounges. This is a tough issue, I'll agree to that, but I don't think the gift is gone. I also feel that the more we claim it is gone, the more we are stopping those with the gift from growing in their gift because they are afraid of the ridicule it will bring them. God's Blessings.

Is the Gift of Tounges relevant to Our Generation

Yes, now more than ever it is needed. There are those who hold this Gift in contempt, apparently. There will be churches who will reject this gift altogether and yet think they are doing God's work. Revelations talks about them. You will not receive this Gift unless you have his Spriit. You must be born again of the spirit. If you have not his Spirit, you are none of his, I don't care how many time you go to church or pray. If you do not have this connection with God, your prayers are in vain.

There are at least 23 verses that indisputably mention speaking in tongues. Moreover, another dozen names, such as "praying in the Spirit" (cf. Rom. 8:26-27; Eph. 6:18; Jude 20).

By carefully studying these passages, we can learn much about this gift of the Spirit. One conclusion stands out clearly: there exist at least three different dimensions to tongues.

SIGN OF THE SPIRIT'S COMING--

as on the day of Pentacost and at other times when those who believed had hands layed on them and began to speak in tongues.

A FORM OF PRAYER--

"A man who speaks in a tongue is talking not to men but to God. No one understands him because he utters mysteries in the Spirit" (1 Cor. 14:2). "Talking to God" defines prayer pretty accurately. Notice that in this case the language does not appear to be an intelligible one.

A FORM OF PROPHECY

"If any are going to talk in tongues let it be at most two or three, each in turn, with another to interpret what they are saying. But if there is no one to interpret, there should be silence in the assembly, each one speaking only to himself and to God" (1 Cor. 14:27-28).

Nowhere in the New Testament does it even hint that this manifestation of the Spirit was intended only for the first years of the church’s existence. They have always been around to those who believe.

"Tongues, did not entirely die out. From time to time the phenomenon re-emerged in individuals or groups, only to vanish again. That is, until 1901. In that year was born the movement which is termed Pentecostalism. Christians studying the Acts of the Apostles perceived the close link between the coming of the Holy Spirit in power and speaking in tongues. With expectant faith, they prayed for the gift.

Their prayers were answered. Not only did many receive tongues, but also they discovered that this gift was a door way into Charismatic realm that included many other works of the spirit, such as prophecy, healing and miracles. A new current gathered momentum in Christendom, starting as a trickle around the turn of the century and swelling to a torrent in recent years." quoted from another source...Jim Sculley

Millions of Christians today use the gift of tongues regularly in their private prayer. Do those of you who do not believe, really think all these millions of people are under some spell of the Devil? I would be very careful telling these people that the language God gave them is of the Devil. Never attibute a Gift of God to the Devil.

"If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will you heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!" Luke 11:11-13 - NKJV.

I asked God to give me the Holy Spirit while down on my knees in prayer and praise to him, so I am absolutely confident that what I have received is a good gift with no possibility of there being either serpent or scorpion in it!

Eve777 said:
If you do not have this connection with God, your prayers are in vain.

So are you saying that the Jews who will cry out to God in the end time, yet are not filled with the Spirit, will not be heard by God... that their prayerful cry will be in vain?

Eve, this is not true. A man can cry out to God and God will hear that man if He so choses.

Don't turn the freedom found in the Spirit into an unholy law.

You say you asked God to give you the gift of tongues, but Paul said it is better that you prophesy.... so why did you not first ask God to give you to be one who can prophesy?

cj

People say that tongues is a heavenly language that the angels use, or a private prayer language. There is no evidence that the angels used a heavenly language, or that there even is one. When God communicated with humans is was always in HUMAN language. No where in the bible does it say that tongues is anything other than human language.

In 1 Corintians Paul is not condoning the use of tongues, instead he is condemning the improper use of the gift.
1 Peter 4:10 "As each one has recieved a special gift, employ it in serving one another"

Tongues is NOT benificial to the body. Paul is condemning them saying "you are not edifying the body, even to yourselves you speak mysteries!"

In the terms of personal prayer...1 Corinthians 14:14-15 "For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful, what is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also...

Paul is asking of what benifit is it to pray with your spirit if your mind is unfruitful. Rather pray with your mind AND your spirit, in a language that you understand.

Now I would not go as far as to say that tongues today are "From the Devil" But I do believe that people are looking for the wrong way for the spirit to manifest Himself. When you want the outpouring of the spirit don't look for an emotional high or manifested gifts(tongues, healing) look to the scripture and allow the spirit to show you the love of God. He will manifest himself to you, with a 'still, small voice' and it will stir your heart, and excite you!

I do believe that tongues does not exist anymore. Both Ephesians and Roman's talk about the gifts, but they don't mention tongues.
1 Corinthians 13:8 ....If there are tongues, they will cease.

Tongues was a sing to unbelieving Israel of the new work that encompassed the gentiles. Meaning that the Lord would now speak to all nations in all languages.

One more comment.
1 Corinthians 14:4 "one who speaks in a tongue edifies himself;

Edifying yourself while in the midst of the body is not a good thing, but a very selfish thing.

So are you saying that the Jews who will cry out to God in the end time, yet are not filled with the Spirit, will not be heard by God... that their prayerful cry will be in vain?

A prayer unto repentance is always herad by God.

I did not say I prayed for tongues. I never prayed for tongeus. I asked for his Holy Spirt. I prayed in tongues when the spirit entered my body. Yes I knew when he came.....Sweet Peace and Joy flooded my soul.

"1 Corinthians 13:8 ....If there are tongues, they will cease".

That same scripture says knowledge will cease too. Has knowledge ceased?

"Edifying yourself while in the midst of the body is not a good thing, but a very selfish thing".

According to the scripture we are to pray in tongues to build up our most Holy faith.

In verse 20 Jude says, “But you, beloved, building up yourselves in your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit.â€Â

Eve777 said:
"1 Corinthians 13:8 ....If there are tongues, they will cease".

That same scripture says knowledge will cease too. Has knowledge ceased?

No knowledge has not ceased, but it has always existed too.
There was no such thing as 'the gift of tongues' during like the middle ages and the renaissance. It is just during the last century that it is here again.
If the gift of tongues had ceased, Paul never said that it would be resurrected :o

Jordanthedutchy said:
People say that tongues is a heavenly language that the angels use, or a private prayer language. There is no evidence that the angels used a heavenly language, or that there even is one. When God communicated with humans is was always in HUMAN language. No where in the bible does it say that tongues is anything other than human language.

First, Jordan, think about this logically, if god or his angels had spoken to us in the heavenly language would we have been able to understand them? As for there being a heavenly language, just as Peter's reversed crucifixtion, history suggest such a language.

Jordan said:
In 1 Corintians Paul is not condoning the use of tongues, instead he is condemning the improper use of the gift.
1 Peter 4:10 "As each one has recieved a special gift, employ it in serving one another"

Tongues is NOT benificial to the body. Paul is condemning them saying "you are not edifying the body, even to yourselves you speak mysteries!"

Come on Jordan, if it were such a bad gift, then why did Paul include it in the list in 1 Cor 12. Not only did he include it on the list, but Paul wrote at the end of his list that these gifts all serve the same spirit.

Jordan said:
In the terms of personal prayer...1 Corinthians 14:14-15 "For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful, what is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also...

Paul is asking of what benifit is it to pray with your spirit if your mind is unfruitful. Rather pray with your mind AND your spirit, in a language that you understand.

If you understand the context when Paul wrote this passage you can see that your mind is speaking in your language, what your spirit is speaking in the tounge. Both are praying at the same time yes, but the context of what Paul wrote suggests both are using a different language. Many feel he's giving those with the gift of tounges a hint as to how you may begin to interpret your gift.

Jordan said:
Now I would not go as far as to say that tongues today are "From the Devil" But I do believe that people are looking for the wrong way for the spirit to manifest Himself. When you want the outpouring of the spirit don't look for an emotional high or manifested gifts(tongues, healing) look to the scripture and allow the spirit to show you the love of God. He will manifest himself to you, with a 'still, small voice' and it will stir your heart, and excite you!

Two points Here:

1. Real tounges are only of the Spirit. Later in your post you suggest that tounges is no longer in existence. If that is true, than today's tounges a lie and therefore of the Devil. You can't be on the fence here. It's either real, existing, and of the Spirit; or it's fake, non existing, and of the Devil. I hope you don't mind clarifying what you mean.

2. What if you are meditating on the Word and god decides to reveal to you a tounge. Did God do something wrong by exciting you with the gift of tounges instead of a still small voice?

Jordan said:
I do believe that tongues does not exist anymore. Both Ephesians and Roman's talk about the gifts, but they don't mention tongues.
1 Corinthians 13:8 ....If there are tongues, they will cease.

Tongues was a sing to unbelieving Israel of the new work that encompassed the gentiles. Meaning that the Lord would now speak to all nations in all languages.

Eve777 already explained that, so I won't repeat it.

Jordan said:
One more comment.
1 Corinthians 14:4 "one who speaks in a tongue edifies himself;

Edifying yourself while in the midst of the body is not a good thing, but a very selfish thing.

This is the truth, but that is why God gave Paul rules for the using of tounges with the body. I am with you all the way, If a person uses tounges out of tern, then they are selfish. God's blessings, Brutus.

Brutus/HisCatalyst said:
First, Jordan, think about this logically, if god or his angels had spoken to us in the heavenly language would we have been able to understand them? As for there being a heavenly language, just as Peter's reversed crucifixtion, history suggest such a language.
Think about it logically yourself, why would God have us speak to ourselves in a language we don't understand? What benifit is it to Him? He can understand us just fine in our own language.

Come on Jordan, if it were such a bad gift, then why did Paul include it in the list in 1 Cor 12. Not only did he include it on the list, but Paul wrote at the end of his list that these gifts all serve the same spirit.

I never said that it was a bad gift, I said that the way it is used now adays is wrong. It was used for the purpose of spreading the gospel to the gentiles and now it has ceased. It WAS a wonderful gift.

Jordan said:
Think about it logically yourself, why would God have us speak to ourselves in a language we don't understand? What benifit is it to Him? He can understand us just fine in our own language.

What benefit is it to him, I don't know. He was here before us, and it suggested by the tower of babel that before that incident man and God spoke the same language. When man decided they wanted to be special like God, he confused there language. This is where we get the different languages from. This is where it's suggested that men no longer spoke the same language as God, i.e. the angelic language. The Bible doesn't flat out tell us this, but it makes a lot of sense. Ofcoure God can understand our languages, he made them. But is that the only reason for there being no angelic language. Besides If God can only talk in our language, who is really in charge?

Think about it logically yourself, why would God have us speak to ourselves in a language we don't understand? What benifit is it to Him?

Who said it is for God's benefit?

1 Cor. 14:2,4-5, "2 For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries....4 One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church. 5 Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying."

and now it has ceased. It WAS a wonderful gift.

And your proof of this is...

history suggest such a language.

Whos history, still it does not matter. It is not found in the bible, and to compair this to peters death is apples and oranges anyways.

There is no such thing as heavenly prayer languase, that is a lie of satan.

Come on Jordan, if it were such a bad gift, then why did Paul include it in the list

What Paul was talking about is not the same gibberish that we hear today. He was not talking about this heavenly lanuage bit which is so sadly taught in many churches.

What nonesence all this tongues stuff is, this stuff we hear today just is not what Paul was talking about. Babble and nonesence that is all.

Henry said:
history suggest such a language.

Whos history, still it does not matter. It is not found in the bible, and to compair this to peters death is apples and oranges anyways.

There is no such thing as heavenly prayer languase, that is a lie of satan.

[quote:83823]Come on Jordan, if it were such a bad gift, then why did Paul include it in the list

What Paul was talking about is not the same gibberish that we hear today. He was not talking about this heavenly lanuage bit which is so sadly taught in many churches.

What nonesence all this tongues stuff is, this stuff we hear today just is not what Paul was talking about. Babble and nonesence that is all.[/quote:83823]

1. I gave you the example of the tower of Bable, or did you miss that.
2. As I said before why must God speak in our languages, doesn't that put us above God?
3.As for tounges not existing, as Free said, support your opinion.

1. I gave you the example of the tower of Bable, or did you miss that.

The tower of Bable was a judgement of God. This has nothing to do with nonesence bable and this unbiblical prayer language stuff.

2. As I said before why must God speak in our languages, doesn't that put us above God?

Oh brother, put us above God? Silly arguement here guy, proves nothing.

3.As for tounges not existing, as Free said, support your opinion.

I have, I have shown for example that in the case of the day of pentecost they spoke REAL languages that were understood, we are even given a list. It was not just babbling nonesence that made no sence at all.

My problem is not with tongues as they are taught to us in the bible, my problem is with the nonesence that is sadly called tongues, under the guise of a prayer language. Which simply isn't found in the bible.

A biblical tongue, merely referes to one speaking a REAL language that is understood by someone else, which they do not speak. For example if I went to Unganda and spoke the native tongue, since I do not know that language, I would be speaking in an unknown tongue.

Free

Paul was very educated man, he was not your average joe. He was a jew and a roman, it is very likely that he knew and understood several languages, or tongues, which would have certainly made him a great person to go and preach to the gentiles.

I am convinced that when he said I speakin tongue more then you all, that he was saying that he knew more languages then they all did. And when he said I wish that you would all speak in tongues, he meant that they would learn new languages to better spread the gospel.

I am convinced that this jibberish we here today is not what Paul was talking about at all.

And, especially in a church like the Oneness Church that teaches a whole multitude of heresy.

Henry,

I am convinced that when he said I speakin tongue more then you all, that he was saying that he knew more languages then they all did. And when he said I wish that you would all speak in tongues, he meant that they would learn new languages to better spread the gospel.

No doubt Paul was intelligent and well educated, but that simply cannot be the case. It completely misses the whole context of the spiritual gifts he is talking about.

1 Cor. 14:1-2,"1 Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries."

I am convinced that this jibberish we here today is not what Paul was talking about at all.

But yet it is implied throughout 1 Cor. 14 that neither the hearer nor listeners understand what is said without an interpretation. This is consistent with much of tongues today.

Back