Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Law and Grace

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The law was important, grace is important. True grace is followed by following the law in Jesus 2 commandments, which are love for God and love for people. Jesus shorted requirements and got rid of the traditions of the law which had no spiritual value and added value to what is important, intentions and actions based on good intentions.

Does Grace nullify the Law? (Romans 3:31)
I would say Grace renders the Law useless. Just like a physically challenged person needs a wheel chair but, if they are healed, the fact that they can walk makes their wheelchair useless. In the same way, Grace is a healing at the spiritual level and it makes the Law useless. It doesn't mean one doesn't abide by the Law any more; it simply means one does the will of God without needing to know the Law.

The law of Christ is just as it has always been...Love God with all your might, and love your neighbor as you love yourself.
On these two things hang all of the Law and profits.
So, does not eating ham allow us to love any more than if we do eat ham?
No...so it is surely OT only.
Does allowing your crops to go fallow every seventh year allow us to love God and neighbor more?
No, though the wisdom of God is shown in doing so before fertilizers were developed.
Very good point! I would point out, though, that fertilizers are bad for our health and for ecology so fallow is also a matter of love :)

More importantly, the two extra commandments Jesus gave us and you quoted (Matthew 22:36-40 / Mark 12:28-31) are the very reason why Jesus said he is the lord of the Sabbath (Matthew 12:8) and, if a sheep has fallen into a pit on the Sabbath, we should save it (Matthew 12:11). This means that the "Law of Love" prevails over the Law as it is written. This is why I say Grace renders the Law useless. This is still true nowadays and this is why Jesus warned us many Christians wouldn't enter the Kingdom of Heaven (Matthew 7:21-23), because they would be stuck in an intellectual understanding of the Law preventing them from doing God's will which, as you pointed out, comes down to Love, not as it can be understood but as it can spontaneously flow from the heart of someone who has been graced by God.

I would say Grace renders the Law useless. Just like a physically challenged person needs a wheel chair but, if they are healed, the fact that they can walk makes their wheelchair useless. In the same way, Grace is a healing at the spiritual level and it makes the Law useless. It doesn't mean one doesn't abide by the Law any more; it simply means one does the will of God without needing to know the Law.

Very good point! I would point out, though, that fertilizers are bad for our health and for ecology so fallow is also a matter of love :)

More importantly, the two extra commandments Jesus gave us and you quoted (Matthew 22:36-40 / Mark 12:28-31) are the very reason why Jesus said he is the lord of the Sabbath (Matthew 12:8) and, if a sheep has fallen into a pit on the Sabbath, we should save it (Matthew 12:11). This means that the "Law of Love" prevails over the Law as it is written. This is why I say Grace renders the Law useless. This is still true nowadays and this is why Jesus warned us many Christians wouldn't enter the Kingdom of Heaven (Matthew 7:21-23), because they would be stuck in an intellectual understanding of the Law preventing them from doing God's will which, as you pointed out, comes down to Love, not as it can be understood but as it can spontaneously flow from the heart of someone who has been graced by God.
Romans 3:31 kjv
31. Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

wondering posted the above scripture.

I will add this:
1 Timothy 1:8 kjv
8. But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
9. Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

A gentile does not have a hint about God apart from the scriptures, and I can agree that a gentile can have the law written on their heart and mind supernaturally.

If we care about the Jewish nation, it might help to see the law as shadows of things to come. The Jew and gentile were made one new man. Using the law correctly gives the opportunity to communicate.

Do I understand everything? No.

Hebrews 4:3 kjv
3. For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Stretches my redneck brain, but if God rested we enter his rest.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Back