Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

The Law

E

elijah23

There seems to be disagreement over what constitutes the law. As one grows older, they learn the unpleasant consequences of certain actions, which we call sins. Therefore, they avoid repeating these actions, or sins, so as to avoid the unpleasant consequences that undoubtedly will result. Practically speaking, this is the law.

Some people read and obey the teachings of Jesus and avoid committing these sins, in the first place.

You might want to say, "There is no longer a law." However, I find the law helpful in guiding my actions, because I want to avoid those unpleasant consequences.

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Mat 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Gal_5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Gal 5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

The law is established in the heart by a faith that works by love.

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

The righteous shall live by faith.

Heb 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

The righteous requirements of the law are thus fulfilled by those who walk after the Spirit by this faith.

Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Those that are truly in Christ thus need not the law. The law is written on their hearts.

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

The rebellious heart of a sinner is purged through godly sorrow which works the chage of mind (repentance) which results in a total change in conduct (conversion).

Act 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

God will then regenerate (Eph 2:5, Rom 8:11, Col 2:13) that person and cleanse them of all unrighteousness through the blood (Rom3:25, 1Jn 1:7).

Striving, obedience, repentance, faith, salvation, holding steadfast, overcoming, the cross and Jesus Christ all fit together in perfect harmony.

The modern false gospel is the total opposite and is full of contradictions.

Mat 22:35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
Mat 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

I know we have read these scriptures over and over again, but has one truly pondered it's meaning! We know the greatest commandment in the law is love, but have you really considered that if we love we will not transgress all the laws love contains.

There seems to be disagreement over what constitutes the law. As one grows older, they learn the unpleasant consequences of certain actions, which we call sins. Therefore, they avoid repeating these actions, or sins, so as to avoid the unpleasant consequences that undoubtedly will result. Practically speaking, this is the law.

Some people read and obey the teachings of Jesus and avoid committing these sins, in the first place.

You might want to say, "There is no longer a law." However, I find the law helpful in guiding my actions, because I want to avoid those unpleasant consequences.

I feel Christians are under the law in the OT.

Irony,that most would follow the Ten Commandments but disregard everything else...

Matthew 5:17:Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

I think if Christians want Jesus as their example then all the law in the OT should be obeyed and not only the Ten Commandments...

Irony,that most would follow the Ten Commandments but disregard everything else...

Matthew 5:17:Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Hebrews explains how Jesus' sacrifice has fulfilled (kept, satisfied, etc...) various first covenant laws so that they are no longer recurring obligations for God's people to perform. Jesus' work on the cross is so thorough, so complete, and so everlasting that no debt of law in regard to those things remains. So those laws no longer have to be literally carried out by the followers of God.

Our faith in Jesus' work on the cross has, in effect, fulfilled the first covenant laws for sacrifice, temple, and priesthood. Those laws were made obsolete (no longer needed--not destroyed) for a people perfectly and forever cleansed and brought near to God through the sacrifice and ministry of Jesus. That is the fulfillment Jesus said must happen before the least stroke of a pen could disappear from the law. And now the remaining debt of law we owe is "love your neighbor as yourself" (see Romans 13:8-10). And even that is fulfilled (kept, satisfied, etc.) through our faith in God's forgiveness as we give the love we ourselves have received from God to our neighbor. Amen, amen, and amen.

Hebrews explains how Jesus' sacrifice has fulfilled (kept, satisfied, etc...) various first covenant laws so that they are no longer recurring obligations for God's people to perform. Jesus' work on the cross is so thorough, so complete, and so everlasting that no debt of law in regard to those things remains. So those laws no longer have to be literally carried out by the followers of God.

Our faith in Jesus' work on the cross has, in effect, fulfilled the first covenant laws for sacrifice, temple, and priesthood. Those laws were made obsolete (no longer needed--not destroyed) for a people perfectly and forever cleansed and brought near to God through the sacrifice and ministry of Jesus. That is the fulfillment Jesus said must happen before the least stroke of a pen could disappear from the law. And now the remaining debt of law we owe is "love your neighbor as yourself" (see Romans 13:8-10). And even that is fulfilled (kept, satisfied, etc.) through our faith in God's forgiveness as we give the love we ourselves have received from God to our neighbor. Amen, amen, and amen.

What about the Ten Commandments?

I think only the wrath/condemning part of the law is finished,but not all of the law as the wrath/condemning part of the law was against us.

Romans 4:15:Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

Romans 5:16:And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

Romans 5:18:Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Romans 8:1:There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Romans 5:9:Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

1 Thessalonians 5:9:For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

Since the wrath/Condeming part of the law was against....that was done away with as been nailed to the cross.

Colossians 2:14:Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

The wrath/Condemning part of the law in the OT for example...

Exodus 19:12 ''whosoever toucheth the mount shall be surely put to death''
Exodus 21:12:He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death.
Exodus 21:15:And he that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death.
Exodus 21:16:And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death.
Exodus 21:17:And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.
Exodus 22:!9:Whosoever lieth with a beast shall surely be put to death.
Leviticus 20:13:If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
Leviticus 24:17:And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death.

If we have no law then we are very lawless people....

Since those laws are now obsolete and we are just to love our neighbor, who decides how and what loving our neighbor is? Seems to me that the first four tell us how to love God and the last six tell us how to love our neighbor.

What about the Ten Commandments?

I think only the wrath/condemning part of the law is finished,but not all of the law as the wrath/condemning part of the law was against us.

Romans 4:15:Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

Romans 5:16:And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

Romans 5:18:Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Romans 8:1:There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Romans 5:9:Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

1 Thessalonians 5:9:For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

Since the wrath/Condeming part of the law was against....that was done away with as been nailed to the cross.

Colossians 2:14:Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

The wrath/Condemning part of the law in the OT for example...

Exodus 19:12 ''whosoever toucheth the mount shall be surely put to death''
Exodus 21:12:He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death.
Exodus 21:15:And he that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death.
Exodus 21:16:And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death.
Exodus 21:17:And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death.
Exodus 22:!9:Whosoever lieth with a beast shall surely be put to death.
Leviticus 20:13:If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
Leviticus 24:17:And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death.

If we have no law then we are very lawless people....

Amen!

Of the posts on this thread I like this one best. It is true that we are not under the Law. Following it isn't going to save us, but having faith in Jesus does save us. I've told people this at times and they immediately come to the conclusion that I was saying don't obey the law - go out and break in on purpose. That's wasn't what I was saying.

Following the Law will indeed keep you out of upleasant circumstances. However, we aren't to believe that is what is making us holy in His eyes. It is faith in Christ that makes us holy in His eyes.

All of the law, what is called Moses law, ceremonial and that of the priesthood was taken away. I am willing to discuss this with anyone in the one-on-one forum.

All of the law, what is called Moses law, ceremonial and that of the priesthood was taken away. I am willing to discuss this with anyone in the one-on-one forum.

All of the law?

"The law" in scripture almost always refers to the Law of Moses, a written code given to Jews and Jews only and which was "retired" at the cross.

So no one - neither Jew nor Gentile is under the Law of Moses at this time.

And, no, this does not (of course) mean that I am saying its ok to commit murder and adultery.

We don't need a law to tell us these things are wrong.

"The law" in scripture almost always refers to the Law of Moses, a written code given to Jews and Jews only and which was "retired" at the cross.

So no one - neither Jew nor Gentile is under the Law of Moses at this time.

And, no, this does not (of course) mean that I am saying its ok to commit murder and adultery.

We don't need a law to tell us these things are wrong.

The Law was given to Israel,no where in Genesis,Exodus,Leviticus,Numbers or Deuteronomy is Israel referred to as the Jews.
Israel and Jews is not used interchangeably,like it is for the state of Israel.

Since , when? Since the establishment of the new covenant of our Lord Jesus Christ, and, the homosexuals are made even more unhappy.

God bless

Since when?

I'm sure that would make the homosexuals happy,right?

The 'professed ones' on earth when Christ comes again are in for a real awakening,:thumbsup huh!

Matt. 7
[21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
[22] [[Many will say to me]] in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
(and then there are these ones here all over the place, who say 'l'ord I do not need to do any Obedient Work, just believe something!!:sad)

[23] And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
[24] Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and [[doeth them,]] I will liken him unto a wise man, which [[built his house]] upon a rock: ..' (more WORK, huh!)

Back