Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

The Law

Paul clearly teaches that the Holy Spirit is the agent that provides moral guidance:

But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

This one text - yes this one statement - should do away with this idea that we need a written law to tell us what is right and what is wrong. No doubt, some readers will disagree with Paul here.

But remember - it's Paul, not me who says that the Spirit is our guide and that the Law has been left behind.

I simply report what he has written.
This is what I was driving at in my last post. We don't fulfill the law through the law. We fulfill, or satisfy the requirements of the law through our faith in the forgiveness of God. That new way hasn't literally removed the moral requirements of the law. It upholds them.

The mistake some make is thinking faith is also obligated, by virtue of what faith is, to literally uphold the ceremonial requirements of the law. Faith does uphold them, but not literally, in the same way the sacrifice of Christ satisfies the lawful requirements for sacrifice for sin but in the new non literal way. But a way that still totally, and completely, and forever satisfies God's requirements with no further literal action on our part required. Unlike the moral laws which do continue in a literal fashion, but through the power of the Spirit, not the power of a written code. Until these differences get clarified law discussions always go nowhere, each person defending one aspect of law while the other person counters with another aspect of law and never noting the difference. Very frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jethro:

We have some points of agreement and some points of disagreement:

Agreement:

1. Although this was not stated in your most recent post, I believe you have said that "loving God and one another" is the moral imperative that "replaces" the written code. I would agree with that.

2. The ceremonial law is done away with. While I agree with this, I also think the "10 Commandments" are done away with as well. I am not sure whether we agree on this. My position is that since we have the Spirit and the guidance from Jesus to love each other and to love God, the list of 10 commandments is not really needed anymore.

Disagreement:

1. I disagree with what seems to be your implication that "no further action" is required on our part. In Romans 2, Paul speaks of a coming judgement at which all humans will appear and at which eternal life will be given to those who, yes, "persist in doing good".

Hi Jethro:

We have some points of agreement and some points of disagreement:

Agreement:

1. Although this was not stated in your most recent post, I believe you have said that "loving God and one another" is the moral imperative that "replaces" the written code. I would agree with that.

2. The ceremonial law is done away with. While I agree with this, I also think the "10 Commandments" are done away with as well. I am not sure whether we agree on this. My position is that since we have the Spirit and the guidance from Jesus to love each other and to love God, the list of 10 commandments is not really needed anymore.

Disagreement:

1. I disagree with what seems to be your implication that "no further action" is required on our part. In Romans 2, Paul speaks of a coming judgement at which all humans will appear and at which eternal life will be given to those who, yes, "persist in doing good".
I've had a lot of practice articulating the law argument and thought I was capable of sharing it plainly and simply so people could understand it. But it seems I'm not getting the case for literal fulfillment of moral laws (through faith in God's forgiveness), and non-literal fulfillment of ceremonial laws (by that same faith) across very well. Like I said, very, very frustrating. I'm wondering why I'm not landing.

So in essence, the spirit replaces the law?

TO be honest I signed up on this forum so that I can try to get a better understanding of it. I was stuck in between both views. However you cleared it up a lot for me Jethro so at least 1 person got it!:clap

I've had a lot of practice articulating the law argument and thought I was capable of sharing it plainly and simply so people could understand it. But it seems I'm not getting the case for literal fulfillment of moral laws (through faith in God's forgiveness), and non-literal fulfillment of ceremonial laws (by that same faith) across very well. Like I said, very, very frustrating. I'm wondering why I'm not landing.

Bahamas242

If Adam never sinned, would he follow a law or a set of rules? If he did, would it be the same Torah or law of God? Therefore if he never sinned would we be following the same law?

What if Pharaoh had destroyed the Jews? What if Nazi Germany had won the war? What if Jesus of Nazareth had never been born? What if Japan had won the war and all of mankind converted to Shintoism? What if alternate universes exist, and God creates a different humanity in every universe? What if God doesn’t exist? What if the Evolutionists are right? What if Richard Dawkins is the true messiah, leading mankind into a new age where science is the true religion? What if Gene Roddenberry was a prophet, and by the 24th century mankind will be going where no one has gone before?

Got enough in real life to occupy me without trying to imagine “what if†scenarios.

FC

Jethro Bodine

I wouldn’t worry about it. Non-Traditional ideas are often never understood by some people no matter how many times they’re stated. And certainly they’re not accepted. I’m a case in point. Don’t you feel you think outside the box? Yet don’t you also think that I’ve abandoned Christianity? Believe me when I say, I feel your pain.

FC

Stormcrow

FC said
Jesus was not a product of his times and culture. He was taught of God, not his culture.
He learned from both.

Perhaps.

But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, Galatians 4:4 (NASB)

Apart from it’s context that would mean only that Jesus is a man. And god sent forth a man.

The Son of God was the Son of Man, too. That phrase, "Son of Man": tell us all what it means, FC?
I dare say you can't unless you understand it from an ancient Jewish perspective.

If the Jehovah’s Witnesses can do it, more effectively than most Trinitarians, why couldn’t I? A man is just a man, whether in the 1st or the 21st century.

FC

Drew

by Former Christian
This is a good point that needs to be addressed. And it is what I was trying to point out originally. Eph 2:15 does in fact refer to the Law that was given by God, the Law of Moses, the Law recorded in the Torah. What other Law could Paul be referring to? And Paul makes a clear statement, on the surface at least, that this Law has been “retired†as you call it.
I do not see how Paul's statement has a meaning other than what you call its "surface" meaning.

Frankly, neither do I. I was hoping one person would come up with an alternate understanding of that verse that makes sense. Hasn’t happened yet. It is a clear contradiction of Rom 3:31. No matter what translation we use. And I know something of the Greek. It seems to me that both verses are rightly translated in the translations that are popular. I have tolerated a lot of bible discrepancies in the past. But this is more than even I can tolerate. Because it has to do with a crucial matter in the bible. This is a first for me.

And one thing I don’t believe in that is a common practice in Christianity. Interpreting discrepancies and then believing in the interpretation and acting as if the discrepancy no longer exists. To me, that’s absurd.

FC

Drew

by Former Christian
In the view I present, as a non-Trinitarian no less, Jesus was not a product of his times and culture. He was taught of God, not his culture.
I suggest the evidence is against you here, even if common sense is not.

Well then, I want to know this evidence. If you’re right, I’m being deceived. By my own mind. Because the only logical conclusion, if you’re right, is that the bible isn’t what I thought it was. And that would be common sense.

Given that Jesus was obviously a man, and given that He had to communicate to his listeners, what other sensible option is there except to speak to them in terms with which they were familiar? Would you expect Him speak as a 21st century American? Or a 14th century Norwegian? I hope the point is clear - given the need to communicate to a particular people in a particular time, Jesus had no choice except to speak to them appealing to concepts and cultural ideas that they, as first century Palestinians, were familiar with.

OK, I’m playing devils advocate from here on.

Assuming that Jesus is a man that needed to communicate to his listeners. He failed miserably didn’t he? And he spoke in parables so that only certain listeners could understand him. Even his disciples had to have the parables explained to them, and they still didn’t understand half to most of the time.

You do seem to be fixated on Jesus not speaking 21st century American. Let that go with reference to me. I agree. I’m not saying the idea is far-fetched. But that he wasn’t speaking according to 1st century culture either. I think of something Peter wrote where he said something like (don’t know where it is), the prophets were saying things they couldn’t understand because it was written to the era of Peter’s time.

And one of these cultural ideas was the use of "end of the world" language to actually refer to socio-political change. This is not speculation on my part - it is well established both Biblically and historically that this is how the Jewish people used such language. Therefore, when a first century Jew hears Jesus say "The law will not pass away until heaven and earth pass away", there is every reason s/he would hear this a metaphorical way of asserting that the law will only pass away when when significant political change takes place.

And such change did indeed take place in 70 AD.

OK, I follow that idea. But I don’t see what that’s got to do with anything as far as the Law is concerned. So the Law ends sooner than some people think. How does that change anything one way or the other? It doesn’t imply that the end is as soon as Jesus or as soon as Paul. One could conceivably say it ended somewhere between the 2nd and 21st century. And is a prophetic matter. What I’m trying to say, is that this isn’t that important an issue. At least to me.

If you are saying that Jesus did not appeal to the symbols, concepts, and images of His own culture, then this implied comparison of John and Herod is acoincidence.
Given that Jesus made a whole whack of other shrewd political statements, this seems incredibly unlikely.

Not at all. So he knew the political climate of his era. Like I say we need to let this go. Even if Jesus is just a man this is quite possible. A god needn’t be involved at all. This argument isn’t persuasive to me.

Show Me the coin used for the poll-tax." And they brought Him a denarius. 20And He said to them, "Whose likeness and inscription is this?" 21They said to Him, "Caesar's." Then He said to them, "Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's.â€
So while Jesus is, on the surface, saying “pay the taxâ€, His more fundamental point is that Caesar’s regime is a blasphemous nonsense and that one day God would overthrow it.

Interesting speculation. But knowing Jesus, he was probably just saying what was evident in the text. Give to Ceasar what belongs to him and to God what belongs to him. And the question didn’t really involve your speculation. The question was,

17 "Tell us then, what do You think? Is it lawful to give a poll-tax to Caesar, or not?" (Matthew 22: NASB)

1. You appeal to a deeply unrealistc "all or nothing" idea re how we take the scriptures. One enounters this idea all the time - "you either have to take it all literally or take none of it literally".

As it happens I do understand the bible literally. Even when Jesus spoke in parables, I understand the parables to literally be parables. But that wasn’t my point. My point was, who determines what is literal and what is metaphorical if we consider the idea that Genesis is a book that contains metaphors? In the case of Evolutionism, the Evolutionists are determining the matter because it’s the Theistic Creationists or whatever who are changing the literal view into a metaphorical view in an attempt to conform the bible to Evolutionism.

And you didn’t catch what I said about the rest of the bible being based on what’s in Genesis. So that if Genesis is metaphorical, then there’s no reason to believe that the rest of the bible isn’t just as metaphorical. It becomes a matter of who is determining what the bible is or is not. So that if you say the bible is metaphorical and I say the bible is literal, it’s just a matter of your word against mine.

Things are nowhere near as simple as you imply. The Bible is a complex, sprawling account embodying many literary devices as well as much "literal" truth. It is an egregious simplification to try to force it into a mold where its either "all literal" or "none of it is literal".

LOL Well, if it’s as complex as you imply, then it has nothing to do with where I’m at right here in the 21st century. If god is only going to save the hardest seekers, the ones who dig the farthest into history and the writings of the “Church Fathersâ€, then I guess that’s not going to be me. Maybe it’s more true than I realized, that it’s better to go to hell since all my friends will be there. Even my Catholic friends don’t go that far.

Well, that's obviously true, but acknowledging this as true is not a reason to take everything in the Bible literally. We know that the Bible uses metaphorical language - "the mountains will clap their hands" and "the trees will sing". Is it my "personal opinion" that these texts are not to be taken literally and are instead a metaphorical way of saying that it will be good news when God sets the world to rights? Of course not!
The obvious problem with your argument is this: just because there may be a host of "incorrect" metaphorical readings of a certain text does not mean that the author is not intending us to interpret the metaphor a certain way.
Metaphor is a powerful literary device and the writers of scripture were not afraid to use metaphor to make certain important claims. No doubt, these authors are spinning in their graves (yes, this too is a metaphor!) when 21st century westerners muzzle their texts by forcing them into a strictly literalistic framework.

Do you think that what a metaphor truly means might in fact be self-evident? Apart from all the historical research and such?

I am not sure I followed the rest of your argument. Here is my position in miniature:

1. The Law of Moses was given to Jews and was for them only;

2. The Law of Moses was retired in the first century;

3. This, of course, does not mean that its OK (i.e. not sin) to murder, commit adultery;

4. It is patently incorrect to argue that if the Law of Moses is retired, then all other laws are entirely arbitrary.

I understand that. But my question is, who then determines what sin is, since there is no biblical Law to reveal it to us? Why should we say that murder or adultery is sin? What Law tells us that? What is sin to you may not be sin to me. Do you see my problem?

And regarding the idea that we are told what is sin by the Spirit. It is part of the view I present. But so also is Jesus Christ and the bible, including the Law. The problem I have is that saying the Spirit tells us, period; really begs the question. In Christianity, the Spirit is saying all kinds of things, but not the same things to different people.

FC

So in essence, the spirit replaces the law?
Yes, the Spirit replaces the law as the vehicle through which we serve God. And in the process the requirements of the law get fulfilled--sometimes literally, sometimes not--as in the case of the law of sacrifice for sin which gets fulfilled through our faith in Jesus' blood, not in the literal way of the law.

TO be honest I signed up on this forum so that I can try to get a better understanding of it. I was stuck in between both views. However you cleared it up a lot for me Jethro so at least 1 person got it!:clap
Thank you! Your encouragement blesses my heart. Thanks for taking the time to let me know you're getting it. It means a lot to me.

I ask this for someone to give me and educated guess on the matter. It's not to prove a point, it's trying to understand things more.

Bahamas242

What if Pharaoh had destroyed the Jews? What if Nazi Germany had won the war? What if Jesus of Nazareth had never been born? What if Japan had won the war and all of mankind converted to Shintoism? What if alternate universes exist, and God creates a different humanity in every universe? What if God doesn’t exist? What if the Evolutionists are right? What if Richard Dawkins is the true messiah, leading mankind into a new age where science is the true religion? What if Gene Roddenberry was a prophet, and by the 24th century mankind will be going where no one has gone before?

Got enough in real life to occupy me without trying to imagine “what if†scenarios.

FC

FC said
Jesus was not a product of his times and culture. He was taught of God, not his culture.
He learned from both.
Perhaps.
No perhaps about it. As a human being, he would have had to learn the same way we do.
Although He was a Son, He learned obedience from the things which He suffered.Hebrews 5:8 (NASB)
As God, He would have known who He was and what His purpose in coming was. He did.

But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, Galatians 4:4 (NASB)
Apart from it’s context that would mean only that Jesus is a man. And god sent forth a man.

He didn't send forth a donkey. :waving

He sent forth a man to die for mankind. He sent forth a Jew to fulfill God's promise to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He sent forth a Son to learn obedience and temptation as all men do, yet He was without sin.

In all of these ways and more, God came as a human being into the world to a particular time, place, people, and culture, to experience the life of a human being. He met mankind when it was right in His eyes to do so and became a man to do it.

No one is arguing Jesus was "just a man." But to come to earth as a man, He had to arrive somewhere, sometime. He chose Israel 2,000 years ago. That is the culture into which God was born a man, and that is the culture in which His words must be seen to be understood.

These facts are indisputable.

The Son of God was the Son of Man, too. That phrase, "Son of Man": tell us all what it means, FC?
I dare say you can't unless you understand it from an ancient Jewish perspective.
If the Jehovah’s Witnesses can do it, more effectively than most Trinitarians, why couldn’t I? A man is just a man, whether in the 1st or the 21st century.

So you can't explain the phrase "Son of Man." Here's a hint:

"I kept looking in the night visions, And behold, with the clouds of heaven One like a Son of Man was coming, And He came up to the Ancient of Days And was presented before Him.

"And to Him was given dominion, Glory and a kingdom, That all the peoples, nations and men of every language Might serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion Which will not pass away; And His kingdom is one Which will not be destroyed. Daniel 7:13-14 (NASB)

It wasn't just a reference to His humanity, but to His Lordship.

Every time Christ used it of Himself to the Jews, He was telling them who He was. Most didn't get it.

Frankly, neither do I. I was hoping one person would come up with an alternate understanding of that verse that makes sense. Hasn’t happened yet. It is a clear contradiction of Rom 3:31.
I know why you say this, but I believe there is no real contradiction once we appreciate the complexity of Paul's thinking about the matter of law. As an aside, but one that may well be deeply relevant, I politely suggest that modern evangelicial Christians have absorbed this "rule" that "things have to be simple". I suggest that it is clear that Paul's thinking is very complex and subtle. The problem is that if we approach Paul having already effectively decided that what he is saying must be simple and straightforward, then we miss out on what he is really saying.

Here is something preliminary for your consideration:

In Romans 10, Paul subtly yet clearly makes the point that saving faith in Jesus – believing and confessing Jesus as Lord (v.9) – is actually a fulfilling of the Law of Moses. This coheres with the arguably mystifying claim of Romans 3:31 about how the Law of Moses is actually established, despite other clear statements in other Pauline letters that the Law of Moses has been abolished. Material in Romans 8 and 9 makes perhaps more subtle allusions about a sense in which the Law of Moses is actually established.

Paul effectively discerns two laws – one that is established and another that is abolished, with both these events occurring at the Cross (or shortly thereafter). This second (abolished) law is the law as normally understood – the Law of Moses given to the Jews. I will denote this as the “Law of worksâ€. I will denote the Torah that is established as the “Law of faithâ€. It is critical to qualify the sense in which the Law of works is abolished – it is abolished in the sense that it has played its role in God’s plan and is now no longer needed.

Continuing this thought, Paul places both these laws in the context of a single overarching story of God’s redemptive plan, showing how the abolition of one and the establishment of the other go together. More specifically, Paul is claiming that God is using the Law of works to bring history to a climactic moment at which a new covenant is established with a new Law – the Law of faith.

Enough for now - I can fully understand that you expect more evidence to support this "double law" theory. But, at the very least, you should admit that it is at least possible that Paul could be thinking this way, and that if he is, we may see a way to reconcile Ephesians 2:15 with Romans 3:31.

These facts are indisputable.

So you can't explain the phrase "Son of Man."
It wasn't just a reference to His humanity, but to His Lordship.

Every time Christ used it of Himself to the Jews, He was telling them who He was. Most didn't get it.
I thought he was making the point that he was a prophet because Ezekiel was called a 'son of man'...

"Then He said to me, “Son of man, I am sending you to the sons of Israel, to a rebellious people who have rebelled against Me; they and their fathers have transgressed against Me to this very day." (Ezekiel 2:3 NASB)

...but the Daniel passage suggests that he meant much, much more than even that. Good point.

OK, I’m playing devils advocate from here on.

Assuming that Jesus is a man that needed to communicate to his listeners. He failed miserably didn’t he? And he spoke in parables so that only certain listeners could understand him. Even his disciples had to have the parables explained to them, and they still didn’t understand half to most of the time.
True, but I suggest that this is a different issue. As you may be aware, the Jews of Jesus' day had a particular vision of what a Messianic figure would accomplish. And Jesus did not fit into such an expectation (for example, He did not lead a military campaign against occupying Rome). Besides, as Paul argues in Romans 9-11 - and most Christians miss this - God decided to harden Israel, just as He hardened Pharoah.

For reasons such as these, most the Jews of Jesus day did not "get" the message that Jesus was promoting. But that does not mean that He "failed" or that He should not have addressed His listeners in a way that would make sense in that culture.

Analogy: In our day, we have voices from the scientific community warning us about global warming. For all sorts of troubling reasons, people choose to ignore such warnings. But that hardly means that the scientists are not making the right argument and in the right "language".

Again, it is eminently sensible that Jesus would address first century Palestinian Jews using the language and cultural ideas of that place and time.

I thought he was making the point that he was a prophet because Ezekiel was called a 'son of man'...

"Then He said to me, “Son of man, I am sending you to the sons of Israel, to a rebellious people who have rebelled against Me; they and their fathers have transgressed against Me to this very day." (Ezekiel 2:3 NASB)

...but the Daniel passage suggests that he meant much, much more than even that. Good point.

It's this very passage (Daniel 7) He cited at His trial that led the Sanhedrin to condemn Him to death for blasphemy:

The high priest stood up and said to Him, "Do You not answer? What is it that these men are testifying against You?" But Jesus kept silent. And the high priest said to Him, "I adjure You by the living God, that You tell us whether You are the Christ, the Son of God." Jesus *said to him, "You have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you will see THE SON OF MAN SITTING AT THE RIGHT HAND OF POWER, and COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF HEAVEN."

Then the high priest tore his robes and said, "He has blasphemed! What further need do we have of witnesses? Behold, you have now heard the blasphemy; what do you think?" They answered, "He deserves death!" Matthew 26:62-66 (NASB)

The high priest and the Sanhedrin "got it." He was equating Himself with God, and using the title "Son of Man" (ben adam) and imagery of Daniel 7:13-14 to do it.

Of course, no one would understand this unless they were to see how offensive such a self-proclamation would be to an ancient Jew. We (21st century Americans) think nothing of the phrase (as was amply illustrated in FC's dismissal of it in a previous post) but, as you can see, it was inflammatory to those who lived at the time of Christ and opposed Him.

You (euphemistically speaking, of course) can't separate the Bible from the people who were inspired to write it and the culture in which they did. To do so destroys its meaning.

Stormcrow

The earth is an oblate spheroid. Go ahead, dispute that.

LOL Not being a scientist myself, I couldn’t adequately dispute it one way or another. But there are those who do. Dispute it I mean.

As do you. We're just trying to get you to see how un-Biblical yours is.

Be careful. I may just have a stroke of genius and prove that it’s your view that un-biblical. And I don’t think you could accept that.

FC

Back