Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The meaning of the Last Supper

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The last supper is a gathering together ( as Jesus loved His disciples to the end)

John 13:1 Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.

That is why Jesus gave His body and His blood, because there is no love and no life without it. Then it is the meaning of love, to love God beyond our bodies and our lives, as God gave His body and life for us, so we believe in only Him, only He died for us, nobody else did, nobody else shows love, but by words only.

Reactions: JLB
Here is a fact that many do not know. The last supper was not the Passover Seder, but only the last supper Jesus would eat with His disciples. Passover meal would not begin until after sunset on Friday the 14th of Abib/Nisan when the 15th day begins at sunset at the end of the 14th.

Just thought I would throw this in here.

The Last Supper is the final meal that, in the Gospel accounts, Jesus shared with his apostles in an upper room in Jerusalem before his crucifixion. Christians commemorate the Last Supper especially on Holy Thursday. The Last Supper provides the scriptural basis for the Eucharist, also known as "Holy Communion" or "The Lord's Supper".Jesus Lords Last Supper Painting
The "last supper" is the NT version of Passover. That's how the Lord wants us to keep that feast, as the others in Leviticus 27 have a NT equivalent.

Here is a fact that many do not know. The last supper was not the Passover Seder, but only the last supper Jesus would eat with His disciples. Passover meal would not begin until after sunset on Friday the 14th of Abib/Nisan when the 15th day begins at sunset at the end of the 14th.

Just thought I would throw this in here.

I think you should probably throw it out, as three of the Gospels clearly indicate that it was the Passover dinner.

Matthew 26:18-21, " He [Jesus] replied, “Go into the city to a certain man and tell him, ‘The Teacher says: My appointed time is near. I am going to celebrate the Passover with my disciples at your house.’” So the disciples did as Jesus had directed them and prepared the Passover.

When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve. And while they were eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me.”

Mark 14:16-18, " The disciples left, went into the city and found things just as Jesus had told them. So they prepared the Passover.

When evening came, Jesus arrived with the Twelve. While they were reclining at the table eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me—one who is eating with me.”

Luke 22:13-16, "They left and found things just as Jesus had told them. So they prepared the Passover.

When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table.
And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. 16 For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.”

I think you should probably throw it out, as three of the Gospels clearly indicate that it was the Passover dinner.

Matthew 26:18-21, " He [Jesus] replied, “Go into the city to a certain man and tell him, ‘The Teacher says: My appointed time is near. I am going to celebrate the Passover with my disciples at your house.’” So the disciples did as Jesus had directed them and prepared the Passover.

When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve. And while they were eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me.”

Mark 14:16-18, " The disciples left, went into the city and found things just as Jesus had told them. So they prepared the Passover.

When evening came, Jesus arrived with the Twelve. While they were reclining at the table eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me—one who is eating with me.”

Luke 22:13-16, "They left and found things just as Jesus had told them. So they prepared the Passover.

When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table.
And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. 16 For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.”
I could be wrong and will check into it further when I get home from vacation.

Where is "up north"? I was born in New York City, grew up in Connecticut, and got married in Vermont.

The Last Supper is the final meal that, in the Gospel accounts, Jesus shared with his apostles in an upper room in Jerusalem before his crucifixion. Christians commemorate the Last Supper especially on Holy Thursday. The Last Supper provides the scriptural basis for the Eucharist, also known as "Holy Communion" or "The Lord's Supper".Jesus Lords Last Supper Painting
Probably going to get the large framed Canvas. Like the colors and softness of it.

Going back to the issue of the Last Supper and the Passover I came across an interesting suggestion on this.

First the problem.
The traditional view is that Jesus celebrated the Passover/Last Supper on the Thursday, was arrested Thursday night and crucified on the Friday. However this has a few problems

Jesus eats the Passover with his disciples, yet according to Mark he was crucified on the day before the Sabbath (i.e. Friday) which was also the preparation day for the Passover which was therefore the Saturday. So the Jesus celebrated Passover on the Thursday, two days before the actual Passover.

Now Matthew & Mark say Jesus was at Bethany two days before the Passover (i.e. on Thursday), so he had to move fast to get from Bethany to Jerusalem for the Passover in the evening. Then he was arrested late Thursday night and brought before the high priest. That trial finished at daybreak (when the cock crowed). When morning came the whole Sanhedrin assembled and then they handed him over to Pilate. According to Luke Pilate sent him off to Herod, who eventually sent him back to Pilate, who then condemned him. That’s a lot to pack into a few hours.

Then there is the problem that John says he was at Bethany six days before the Passover.

Now here is the suggested solution.
The Temple kept a lunar calendar of (basically) 354 days. However Judaism in Jesus time wasn’t a unified religion and there was a large group called the Essenes. When the dead sea scrolls were found it was discovered that the Essenes kept a solar calendar of 364 days, and on that calendar the Passover fell on a Tuesday every year. Moreover recent excavations have shown that the Essenes lived not only by the dead sea, but also lived in a part of Jerusalem.

The suggestion is that Jesus, knowing he would be dead by the time of the Temple Passover, celebrated Passover according to the Essene calendar on the Tuesday evening.

So when the synoptic gospels said the anointing at Bethany was two days before the Passover they were referring to the Essene Passover, which Jesus actually celebrated. Whereas John saying the anointing was six days before the Passover was referring to the Temple Passover date – which would have been the Saturday.

This would also give more time for Jesus to be shuttled around between the High Priest, Sanhedrin, Pilate, Herod and back to Pilate. It would also push back the anointing at Bethany to the Sunday, giving two days to get from there to Jerusalem for the Passover on Tuesday.

One further bit of information. The traditional site of the upper room where Jesus celebrated the Passover is actually in the Essene part of Jerusalem.

Going back to the issue of the Last Supper and the Passover I came across an interesting suggestion on this.

First the problem.
The traditional view is that Jesus celebrated the Passover/Last Supper on the Thursday, was arrested Thursday night and crucified on the Friday. However this has a few problems

Jesus eats the Passover with his disciples, yet according to Mark he was crucified on the day before the Sabbath (i.e. Friday) which was also the preparation day for the Passover which was therefore the Saturday. So the Jesus celebrated Passover on the Thursday, two days before the actual Passover.

Now Matthew & Mark say Jesus was at Bethany two days before the Passover (i.e. on Thursday), so he had to move fast to get from Bethany to Jerusalem for the Passover in the evening. Then he was arrested late Thursday night and brought before the high priest. That trial finished at daybreak (when the cock crowed). When morning came the whole Sanhedrin assembled and then they handed him over to Pilate. According to Luke Pilate sent him off to Herod, who eventually sent him back to Pilate, who then condemned him. That’s a lot to pack into a few hours.

Then there is the problem that John says he was at Bethany six days before the Passover.

The Temple kept a lunar calendar of (basically) 354 days. However Judaism in Jesus time wasn’t a unified religion and there was a large group called the Essenes. When the dead sea scrolls were found it was discovered that the Essenes kept a solar calendar of 364 days, and on that calendar the Passover fell on a Tuesday every year. Moreover recent excavations have shown that the Essenes lived not only by the dead sea, but also lived in a part of Jerusalem.

The suggestion is that Jesus, knowing he would be dead by the time of the Temple Passover, celebrated Passover according to the Essene calendar on the Tuesday evening.

So when the synoptic gospels said the anointing at Bethany was two days before the Passover they were referring to the Essene Passover, which Jesus actually celebrated. Whereas John saying the anointing was six days before the Passover was referring to the Temple Passover date – which would have been the Saturday.

This would also give more time for Jesus to be shuttled around between the High Priest, Sanhedrin, Pilate, Herod and back to Pilate. It would also push back the anointing at Bethany to the Sunday, giving two days to get from there to Jerusalem for the Passover on Tuesday.

One further bit of information. The traditional site of the upper room where Jesus celebrated the Passover is actually in the Essene part of Jerusalem.
For years I heard and looked into all sorts of calendar issues, and another thing when approaching this type pf problem is to not assume things took place on certain days of the week. Hint: the book of John called that Sabbath a High Day i.e. the 15th of Nisan Unleavened Bread. Now for a lighter side of things, since we are talking about the traditional Upper Room, I had the desire to look for a picture of the Upper Room a few months back as a background on my desktop here. I found one. It has a lone cat just standing there looking toward one of the entrance ways. I actually got attached to this cat and now refuse to switch it to another picture on my computer. It makes me wonder what this cat is looking at, as if pondering something and maybe we should do the same... somehow.

For years I heard and looked into all sorts of calendar issues, and another thing when approaching this type pf problem is to not assume things took place on certain days of the week. Hint: the book of John called that Sabbath a High Day i.e. the 15th of Nisan Unleavened Bread. Now for a lighter side of things, since we are talking about the traditional Upper Room, I had the desire to look for a picture of the Upper Room a few months back as a background on my desktop here. I found one. It has a lone cat just standing there looking toward one of the entrance ways. I actually got attached to this cat and now refuse to switch it to another picture on my computer. It makes me wonder what this cat is looking at, as if pondering something and maybe we should do the same... somehow.
I was recently in Florence, Italy (a.k.a. Firenze) and saw a painting of the "last supper" in the San Marco Monastery, as well as many other incredible works of art. It's truer name is Museo Nazionale di San Marco. It is an art museum housed in the monumental section of the medieval Dominican friary dedicated to St Mark, situated on the present-day Piazza San Marco.

Here is that painting...

1668276172887.png

It is worth reading and seeing this article: https://www.thegeographicalcure.com/post/guide-to-florence-s-san-marco-monastery.

I was recently in Florence, Italy (a.k.a. Firenze) and saw a painting of the "last supper" in the San Marco Monastery, as well as many other incredible works of art. It's truer name is Museo Nazionale di San Marco. It is an art museum housed in the monumental section of the medieval Dominican friary dedicated to St Mark, situated on the present-day Piazza San Marco.

Here is that painting...

View attachment 14672

It is worth reading and seeing this article: https://www.thegeographicalcure.com/post/guide-to-florence-s-san-marco-monastery.
Here's the picture I was talking about. Found it again on the Internet (I can't upload my computer's pictures and almost could not find this on the Internet)
UpperRoom1.jpg

First the problem.

How to explain the difference of exactly 240 years in the Jewish calendar?​

From Adam to the 1st coming of Jesus passed around 4000 years
From Jesus to our days (according Christian Calendar 2022 years
..................................................................................................Total 6022 years

The current Jewish Calendar is pointing year ............... 5782
........................................................................ Diference 240 years

Last edited:
Regarding the magnificent and significant celebration of the Lord's Supper, on the other hand there is a very intriguing detail which is the choice of Judas Iscariot to be one of the 12 Apostles. JESUS said to the twelve - John 6:70-71:
70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?
71 He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

Well, JESUS knew that Judas was a devil. The question is: What would have been the reason for Jesus to have chosen/ called the devil to be Apostle, being even one of His twelve Apostles?

Regarding the magnificent and significant celebration of the Lord's Supper, on the other hand there is a very intriguing detail which is the choice of Judas Iscariot to be one of the 12 Apostles. JESUS said to the twelve - John 6:70-71:
70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?
71 He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

Well, JESUS knew that Judas was a devil. The question is: What would have been the reason for Jesus to have chosen/ called the devil to be Apostle, being even one of His twelve Apostles?
Jesus knew that Judas was "a devil", not "the devil". "The devil is in the details".

BTW, Judas was an important disciple, being the treasurer.

John 6:66-71, "Because of this many of his disciples turned back and no longer went about with him. So Jesus asked the twelve, “Do you also wish to go away?” Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom can we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and know that you are the Holy One of God.” Jesus answered them, “Did I not choose you, the twelve? Yet one of you is a devil.” He was speaking of Judas son of Simon Iscariot, for he, though one of the twelve, was going to betray him."

a) Jesus had to be betrayed in order for Scripture to be fulfilled.
b) Peter, who said "You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and know that you are the Holy One of God", later was called "Satan" and "a stumbling block" by Jesus. Peter also denied knowing Jesus three times.
c) They all ran away from Jesus when He was arrested.

Obviously, some of the 12 had real problems.

Jesus knew that Judas was "a devil", not "the devil". "The devil is in the details".
BTW, Judas was an important disciple, being the treasurer.
Yes, Judas was the treasurer , he had the bag-John 13:29, and according John 12:6, Judas was a thief, and used to steal from it.
John reveals that Mary took a very expensive perfume of pure nard and anointed Jesus' feet, and Judas, the betrayer, said:
Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor? This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief-John 12:v.3-6. This attitude of Judas reveals that in addition to the treacherous spirit with which was possessed, he was also hypocritical, cynical, stealthy, indeed a bad character.

By the way, there was one betrayer, a devil, among the twelve apostles of the Lord, and now, how many betrayers-demons- would there be in the Churches among non-betrayers as JESUS warned? Also John 2:v.19 and 4:1.
I ask because JESUS said that many shall be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another, and many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
But he that shall endure unto the END, the same shall be saved. Matthew 24:v.10-13. This devilish spiritual environment of the end of the times, or of this current time of the Apocalypse, it will be very hard for the true believers for sure. Who is ready to cross the last week of years of this satanic world of Devil, which must start very soon, perhaps in the next year, with the appearance of the ruthless MAN Beast of the earth?-Revelation 13:11-18 combined with Ezekiel 21:25. Take a look.

Let us be ready or get ready

Back