Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The name of God

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I don't understand the difference between Yaweh and Jehovah. Could someone explain this to me please?
Sure, it's actually pretty easy.

Yahweh is the English translation and Jehovah is the German translation of the four letters that make of God's name. The letters in Hebrew are YHVH. This is commonly translated as LORD as well.
Tetragrammaton2.jpg

See how easy that was :waving

Last edited by a moderator:
Bolts pretty much answered it, but here's some more information!

The ancient Jews would not pronounce the name Yahweh because it was too sacred. In exodus, when Moses asks God "who shall I say sent me?" God tells him, "I AM WHO I AM." Yahweh is the Hebrew word for I AM.

Bolts pretty much answered it, but here's some more information!

The ancient Jews would not pronounce the name Yahweh because it was too sacred. In exodus, when Moses asks God "who shall I say sent me?" God tells him, "I AM WHO I AM." Yahweh is the Hebrew word for I AM.

actually, and not to be a stickler but I AM is contained within YHVH and I AM is not the same as YHVH. The language is more fluid than our English.

Wanna see something interesting about God's Name?

Hebrew Pictograms (every Hebrew alphabet letter can be represented as a picture)
hebrewpictographchart.gif

YHVH (Yod, Hey, Vav, Hey)

Yod = Arm and Hand/ Work/ Deed
Hey = Lo! Behold! "The"
Vav = Nail/ Peg/ Add/ "And"
Hey = Lo! Behold! "The"

Put it together and what does it say?

Lo! Behold! "The" Hand Lo! Behold! "The" Nail

:nod

wheres jeff when you need him and while cant say that isnt the way its read or wrong there are vowels missing in the name and those do have meaning. but we do have the A sound.

The thing about the Hebrew writing (and where's Cyberjosh when you need him lol), is that each letter, as The Lord's has pointed out really derives from a picture.

I think that it's important that we think in terms of, "A picture is worth a thousand words" because although what The Lord's has posted could be considered correct, we could also say that the name of the LORD is so much more.

And this takes us to Jewish thought. They are expressions which are rich and vast with multiple dimensions waiting to be explored.

This is why every Hebrew letter has a Yud :yes

http://www.chabad.org/multimedia/kabbala_toons/default_cdo/aid/687251/jewish/The-Yud.htm

Aleph Lamed = El Shaddai = Strong Shepherd... But so much more, because this is simply where the picture starts! Amen!

137px-Tetragrammaton_scripts.svg.png
The Tetragrammaton in Phoenician (1100 BC to AD 300), Aramaic (10th Century BC to 0) and modern Hebrew scripts.

YHVH is the name of God, His "personal" name... everything else is one of His titles depicting various aspects of God.

The most important and most often written name of God in Judaism is the Tetragrammaton, the four-letter name of God, also known as יהוה, or YHWH. "Tetragrammaton" derives from the prefix tetra- ("four") and gramma ("letter", "grapheme").
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_God_in_Judaism

1 Kings 2,
With regards to your question, one thing you will notice is that there is still some uncertainty among scholars with regards to YHWH since the Jews considered the name of God too Holy to say. I have read that Yahweh is the result of taking the vowels from Adonai and and inserting them into YHWH forming YaHoWaH which is then pronounced Jehovah. Yahweh is believed to mean "I Am" The names of God are very interesting and revealing as to His nature. The following link has some good info. God Bless!

http://www.blueletterbible.org/study/misc/name_god.cfm#link14

another of God's names...

Rom 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Does He not have many names? Does it matter the language used. French English, or Sign language? He is the Most High the King of Kings the Al Mighty

Back