Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The Old Man Syndrome

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Soul man

According to Romans 6:6 the old sin nature was destroyed.
What is the body of sin? The body of sin is; when the mind is giving in to the sin nature.
The old sin nature has been totally replaced by a new nature that comes directly from God the father, by Christ in you.
The new nature, Christ in you, does not need to be controlled, Gal. 5:23,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

But the newborn believer is unaware of this and attempts to be good etc.
The first thing most newborn believers do is quit doing all the things that beset them before their new birth.
Religion will be quick to point out all the things, sins of the flesh, that separated you from God.
So newborn believer will try their best to live a godly life and not sin, that is basically what religion teaches.
Not sinning is good, we understand that living a life that is pleasing to God is a worthy cause.
But what is wrong with this kind of teaching? the believer never gets his/her mind renewed to their new nature.
The only way to live life is by nature, the new Christ in you nature, 2 Cor. 5:17,
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Some Christians are able to accomplish the feat of living good.
But, on the other hand some fall short, they have tried their debt level best to live for God, and have failed at every juncture.
I heard a staggering fact the other day, there is a percentage of the born-again believers that say they will never attend another church meeting.
Some go back to their old ways of living, it was natural for them to live by their nature, and they have never learned about the new nature, Christ life-nature they now possess.
We cannot explain this phenomenon, we cast it off as, they were not really saved, they were not fully saved, they could have prayed more and read their Bible more, and gave more to the church.
Every religious cliché that you can think of man tries to explain why this falling away takes place, faith shipwrecked, cast off.
We need revival some cry, others say we need more old time preaching, hell hot and eternity long will be the answer.
Paul would simply say "you better get your mind renewed."
You are going to have trouble in this world anyway, so you better have some understanding of what is going on, and how God is using this world to conform you "to the image of His dear Son, Romans 8:29,
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Hi soul man
I see you're very interested in this subject.

I used to be Catholic.
When I left the C C, I realized that they would teach not to sin and go be nice, of course, but they never told me how.

As you might remember, I do believe we still have the sin nature but it no longer dominates us,,,

If you believe the sin nature dies,,,
Then what is it that makes us still susceptible to sinning?

We haven't been fully sanctified yet...IMO
I certainly agree with that.
But I do believe we still have the sin nature.
SOMETHING has to make us sin...to me it's that.
I learned this in two different churches and it makes sense.
We are BEING sanctified, exactly because we still sin.
So, what makes us sin if not the sin nature??

I certainly agree with that.
But I do believe we still have the sin nature.
SOMETHING has to make us sin...to me it's that.
I learned this in two different churches and it makes sense.
We are BEING sanctified, exactly because we still sin.
So, what makes us sin if not the sin nature??

What makes us sin? Our sin nature...

1st Cor 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

We often don't look for the way of escape.....sometimes we walk in the flesh. Probably more often than not.

Hi soul man

I used to be Catholic.
When I left the C C, I realized that they would teach not to sin and go be nice, of course, but they never told me how.

As you might remember, I do believe we still have the sin nature but it no longer dominates us,,,

Then what is it that makes us still susceptible to sinning?[/QUOTE

Sure and I can understand why many in of the body of Christ would be in agreement with you.
It could possibly be the oldest argument in Christianity.
Believer has to really come to their own understanding of several things that brings any kind of knowledge.
It is the mind we sin from now, I'll give a couple scriptures out of 1 John 3:8-9,
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot

This teachs the believer their completeness in Christ, in spirit.
It is the mind the is being renewed (sanctified) not spirit.
It is the memories of the old man that we sin from, it is not, repeat 'not' the old man. He died the moment Christ died.
It is the residue, if you will, of the old man and manifests itself just like the old man but the old man is dead as Christ was on the cross.
It looks, acts and manifests as the old man did but when we do this it is a dead man acting out on memory.
It is something every believer needs to look at and get some understanding.
It will not be an easy road traveled, the gospel apart from death, burial, and resurrection is not a simple Sunday go to meetn message.
Needs studied thoroughly using the right scriptures given to us to know.

Hi soul man

I used to be Catholic.

Then what is it that makes us still susceptible to sinning?

Maybe you can answer me a question? What do you believe the old man is.

Good morning folks, we had about an inch of snow in SE and South Texas last night. That is the second time in my 73 years.

About that Old Man's Nature. I like to use the example from the History of the Roman Empire. In some states, when a man murdered a man and they caught him right away, he was confined and the dead carcass wasbound to him, on his back. Our Old Nature is like unto that rotting carcass. We carry it and it wants control. It is infuriated because we still, accidentally, sin but, as in my case, no longer plan to go to the Club and entice some 18 year old Cowgirl into our bed with us.

Today I might fall into a sin but I never plan to sin! It is, as mentioned, living a new life style.

Good morning folks, we had about an inch of snow in SE and South Texas last night. That is the second time in my 73 years.

About that Old Man's Nature. I like to use the example from the History of the Roman Empire. In some states, when a man murdered a man and they caught him right away, he was confined and the dead carcass wasbound to him, on his back. Our Old Nature is like unto that rotting carcass. We carry it and it wants control. It is infuriated because we still, accidentally, sin but, as in my case, no longer plan to go to the Club and entice some 18 year old Cowgirl into our bed with us.

Today I might fall into a sin but I never plan to sin! It is, as mentioned, living a new life style.

Yes I just read about the snow
down yonder, I know it's colder than a well diggers cheeks today in Oklahoma.

Yea that is what I call the memories of the old man, but like we have written 'the old man is dead.

Maybe you can answer me a question? What do you believe the old man is.
2 Corinthians 5:17

The old man lived for himself. Did what he liked with regard to nothing other than his own moral values -- which is already something considering some have none.

And what is new? Our new life in Christ. Doing what HE would have us to do is far better than what WE think we should do. Christ invites us to live in the Kingdom He came to set up right here on earth, right now. He meant for us to live a better life, a life more abundant and more joyful.

So if we live with Christ or in Christ, we start a new life.
Our old "self" is passed away,
our new "self" is here.

A self that is united to God.

2 Corinthians 5:17

The old man lived for himself. Did what he liked with regard to nothing other than his own moral values -- which is already something considering some have none.

And what is new? Our new life in Christ. Doing what HE would have us to do is far better than what WE think we should do. Christ invites us to live in the Kingdom He came to set up right here on earth, right now. He meant for us to live a better life, a life more abundant and more joyful.

So if we live with Christ or in Christ, we start a new life.
Our old "self" is passed away,
our new "self" is here.

A self that is united to God.

Thank you, no right or wrong answer I was just wondering (no pun intended) your thoughts.
I enjoy our discussions, appreciate you taking the time to ask.

Back