Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Primacy of Peter

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Mungo

Jesus Christ left no written legacy, no theology book, no catechism. Instead he founded a Church and he entrusted his teaching to twelve men who he had selected, were his constant companions during his years of ministry, and whom he specially trained to carry on his mission. One of these, Peter, was appointed leader, and was recognised as such by others.

Jesus and Peter
1. Jesus had an inner circle of three special disciples, Peter, James and John. These were the only ones whom he took up mount Tabor for the Transfiguration and to his place of prayer into the Garden of Gethsemane.

2. Right at the beginning of Jesus ministry he singled out Peter and gave him special status by changing his name. This was a significant act and did not happen to any other apostle.
He [Andrew] brought Simon to Jesus, who looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You are to be called Kephas” (which is translated Peter). (Jn 1:42)

3. Jesus gave Peter a special commission:
In Matthew 16:19 he uniquely gives Peter the keys to the kingdom of heaven.
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven,…

4. And he then continued, giving him (singly) the power of binding and loosing
…..and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

He later gives all the apostles the power of binding and loosing
Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. (Mt 18:18)
This is in the same gospel so it is clearly two separate incidents.
In one he uniquely gives Peter authority to act in his stead, represented by the keys and singly gives him the power to bind and loose.
He then gives he apostles collectively the power to bind and loose.
So the apostles can act collectively to bind and loose, or Peter can act alone to bind and loose. It is quite clear.

5. To support his brothers
“Simon, Simon, listen! Satan has demanded to sift all of you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your own faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.” (Lk 22:31-32)

6. To be universal shepherd
When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep” (Jn 21:15-17)

The Father and Peter
7. When Jesus asked the apostles who they said he was, it was Peter who responded:
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven.” (Mt 16:16-17)
The Father could have chosen any of the twelve apostles to give this revelation, but he chose Peter.

8. It was Peter that God addressed in a vision to tell him to go to the gentiles (Acts 10). By his giving the vision and instruction to Peter to go to the gentiles, he was indicating that Peter had the right to act alone.

Peter’s Leadership
9. On many occasions it was Peter who acted as spokesman for the apostles.
But Peter said to him, “Explain this parable to us.” (Mt 15:15)
Then Peter came and said to him (Mt 18:21)
Then Peter said in reply (Mt 19:27)
Then Peter remembered and said to him (Mk 11:21)
Then Jesus asked, “Who touched me?” When all denied it, Peter said … (Lk 8:45)
Peter said, “Lord, are you telling this parable for us or for everyone?” (Lk 12:41)
Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom can we go?” (Jn 6:68)

10. And at the beginning of the Church it was Peter who led.
In those days Peter stood up among the believers (Acts 1;15)
But Peter, standing with the eleven, raised his voice and addressed them (Acts 2:14)
“Ananias,” Peter asked (Acts 5:3)
But Peter and the apostles answered (Acts 5:29)
After there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them. (Acts 15:7)

Note that in all these examples all the other apostles are with Peter. I have not included occasions where Peter is with just another one or two apostles, such as with the cripple (Acts 3) or before the Sanhedrin (Acts 4)

Others and Peter
11. It was to Peter that the collectors of the temple tax came.
When they reached Capernaum, the collectors of the temple tax came to Peter and said (Mt 17:24)

12. John defers to Peter at the empty tomb
The two [Peter and John] were running together, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. He bent down to look in and saw the linen wrappings lying there, but he did not go in. Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb.

13. In the New Testament when two or more people are mentioned they are listed in order of precedence or importance. I have not checked all instances, but this seems to be the norm.

For example James and John are listed in that order, presumable because James is the elder, or possibly because when it was written down James had been bishop of Jerusalem and a martyr. See also “James son of Zebedee and John the brother of James” (Mk 3;17) which shows that James took precedence. Out of 17 examples I have only found 2 where John is mentioned before James.

An interesting example of this is Barnabas and Paul. Barnabas was an early disciple who first appears in Acts 4 giving money to the apostles (Acts 4:36-37). He must have a valued disciple as he was given the name Barnabas which means son of encouragement. It was Barnabas who brought Paul to the apostles Jerusalem after his conversion when other disciples were afraid of him (Acts 9:26-27). And it was Barnabas who was sent to lead the Church at Antioch. Barnabas went and brought Paul from Damascus where he had been living quietly for (some say) about 10 years. From this point Luke always uses the order Barnabas and Paul, until their mission in Cyprus. It was there that Paul begins to show his anointing rebuking Elymas the magician and addressing the synagogue at Antioch in Psidia . Then the sequence varies between Barnabas and Paul, and Paul and Barnabas. By their return to Antioch it had settled to Paul and Barnabas.

When Peter is involved his name almost always comes first. For example Peter, James and John (10 instances), Peter and John (12 instances). There is only 1 instance where Peter is not given first and that is right at the beginning of Jesus ministry (Jn 1:44).

14. In the lists of apostles (Mt 10:2-4, Mk 3:16-19, Lk 6:14-16) it is Peter who is named first.

Jesus Christ left no written legacy, no theology book, no catechism. Instead he founded a Church and he entrusted his teaching to twelve men who he had selected, were his constant companions during his years of ministry, and whom he specially trained to carry on his mission. One of these, Peter, was appointed leader, and was recognised as such by others.

Jesus and Peter
1. Jesus had an inner circle of three special disciples, Peter, James and John. These were the only ones whom he took up mount Tabor for the Transfiguration and to his place of prayer into the Garden of Gethsemane.

2. Right at the beginning of Jesus ministry he singled out Peter and gave him special status by changing his name. This was a significant act and did not happen to any other apostle.
He [Andrew] brought Simon to Jesus, who looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You are to be called Kephas” (which is translated Peter). (Jn 1:42)

…..and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. (Mt 18:18)
In one he uniquely gives Peter authority to act in his stead, represented by the keys and singly gives him the power to bind and loose.
So the apostles can act collectively to bind and loose, or Peter can act alone to bind and loose. It is quite clear.

“Simon, Simon, listen! Satan has demanded to sift all of you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your own faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.” (Lk 22:31-32)

When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep” (Jn 21:15-17)

The Father and Peter
7. When Jesus asked the apostles who they said he was, it was Peter who responded:
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven.” (Mt 16:16-17)
The Father could have chosen any of the twelve apostles to give this revelation, but he chose Peter.

8. It was Peter that God addressed in a vision to tell him to go to the gentiles (Acts 10). By his giving the vision and instruction to Peter to go to the gentiles, he was indicating that Peter had the right to act alone.

Peter’s Leadership
Peter said, “Lord, are you telling this parable for us or for everyone?” (Lk 12:41)

But Peter, standing with the eleven, raised his voice and addressed them (Acts 2:14)

Note that in all these examples all the other apostles are with Peter. I have not included occasions where Peter is with just another one or two apostles, such as with the cripple (Acts 3) or before the Sanhedrin (Acts 4)

Others and Peter
When they reached Capernaum, the collectors of the temple tax came to Peter and said (Mt 17:24)

The two [Peter and John] were running together, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. He bent down to look in and saw the linen wrappings lying there, but he did not go in. Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb.

13. In the New Testament when two or more people are mentioned they are listed in order of precedence or importance. I have not checked all instances, but this seems to be the norm.

For example James and John are listed in that order, presumable because James is the elder, or possibly because when it was written down James had been bishop of Jerusalem and a martyr. See also “James son of Zebedee and John the brother of James” (Mk 3;17) which shows that James took precedence. Out of 17 examples I have only found 2 where John is mentioned before James.

An interesting example of this is Barnabas and Paul. Barnabas was an early disciple who first appears in Acts 4 giving money to the apostles (Acts 4:36-37). He must have a valued disciple as he was given the name Barnabas which means son of encouragement. It was Barnabas who brought Paul to the apostles Jerusalem after his conversion when other disciples were afraid of him (Acts 9:26-27). And it was Barnabas who was sent to lead the Church at Antioch. Barnabas went and brought Paul from Damascus where he had been living quietly for (some say) about 10 years. From this point Luke always uses the order Barnabas and Paul, until their mission in Cyprus. It was there that Paul begins to show his anointing rebuking Elymas the magician and addressing the synagogue at Antioch in Psidia . Then the sequence varies between Barnabas and Paul, and Paul and Barnabas. By their return to Antioch it had settled to Paul and Barnabas.

When Peter is involved his name almost always comes first. For example Peter, James and John (10 instances), Peter and John (12 instances). There is only 1 instance where Peter is not given first and that is right at the beginning of Jesus ministry (Jn 1:44).

14. In the lists of apostles (Mt 10:2-4, Mk 3:16-19, Lk 6:14-16) it is Peter who is named first.
I don't think any person of the faith has a problem with a good shepherd. Whether he is called papa (pope), Rabbi, pastor, Bishop etc... It's the Shebna that is the problem. The faithful want strong, fearless, faithful shepherds. The three ring circus is the problem. But we know what happen to Shebna......can't wait.

Jesus and Peter

The Father and Peter

Peter’s Leadership

Others and Peter

If you want to us to know more about Peter please include all the scenario.

Mat 26:69-75 : Peter deny Jesus 3 times.
Mark 8:31-38 : Jesus rebuke Peter.
Mat 14:22-33 : Peter's weak faith.

A lot you did not include, we need to understand who Peter is.

They aren't relative to the topic.

You left out that Jesus called Peter "Satan". "But he turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me, because you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but on man’s.” Matthew 16:23

Also, Paul reprimanded him for his hypocrisy in Antioch. "But when Cephas [Peter] came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he had clearly done wrong. Until certain people came from James, he had been eating with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he stopped doing this and separated himself because he was afraid of those who were pro-circumcision. And the rest of the Jews also joined with him in this hypocrisy, so that even Barnabas was led astray with them by their hypocrisy. But when I saw that they were not behaving consistently with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas [Peter] in front of them all, “If you, although you are a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you try to force the Gentiles to live like Jews?” Galatians 2:11-14

You left out that Jesus called Peter "Satan". "But he turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me, because you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but on man’s.” Matthew 16:23

Also, Paul reprimanded him for his hypocrisy in Antioch. "But when Cephas [Peter] came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he had clearly done wrong. Until certain people came from James, he had been eating with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he stopped doing this and separated himself because he was afraid of those who were pro-circumcision. And the rest of the Jews also joined with him in this hypocrisy, so that even Barnabas was led astray with them by their hypocrisy. But when I saw that they were not behaving consistently with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas [Peter] in front of them all, “If you, although you are a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you try to force the Gentiles to live like Jews?” Galatians 2:11-14

That does not disprove anything in the OP.

The chief apostle to the Gentiles wasn't Peter, it was Paul.

Romans 11:13, "Now I am speaking to you Gentiles. Seeing that I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry,"

Galatians 2:8, "(for he who empowered Peter for his apostleship to the circumcised also empowered me for my apostleship to the Gentiles)"

Nor does anything you have written prove anything in the OP.

I think the OP clearly shows that Peter was given leadership of all the other apostles - and others recognised that.
Peter was a deeply flawed man. That's what the Bible clearly shows. If there is an apostle who is to be considered the highest it must be Paul.
No Peter wasn't deeply flawed. He had faults - as we all do.

The chief apostle to the Gentiles wasn't Peter, it was Paul.

Romans 11:13, "Now I am speaking to you Gentiles. Seeing that I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry,"

Galatians 2:8, "(for he who empowered Peter for his apostleship to the circumcised also empowered me for my apostleship to the Gentiles)"

That noway shows that Paul was the chief apostle to anyone.
Gal 2:8) "for he who worked through Peter for the mission to the circumcised worked through me also for the Gentiles".
It says God worked through both of them, not that one was a leader and the other wasn't

In my Bible, Peter wrote 17 pages; Paul wrote 124 pages. Clearly Paul was used by God to a far greater extent than Peter in communicating His words to all people.

In my Bible, Peter wrote 17 pages; Paul wrote 124 pages. Clearly Paul was used by God to a far greater extent than Peter in communicating His words to all people.

Again that is irrelevant. You are not addressing the OP.

I think the OP clearly shows that Peter was given leadership of all the other apostles - and others recognised that.

No Peter wasn't deeply flawed. He had faults - as we all do.
That's just your opinion. I disagree. How many people did Jesus call "Satan"? How many people did Jesus rebuke for drawing his sword? How many people were cited as hypocrites by Paul?

Not to many of us have been called "Satan", have been reprimanded for our violent behavior, and have been cited for our hypocritical behavior as church leaders?

I was a church elder until I retired a few years ago. Nobody called me "Satan" or even implied it, I have never harmed anyone with a weapon, or was accused of behaving hypocritically. I have my faults as we all do, but Peter was deeply flawed.

Again that is irrelevant. You are not addressing the OP.
I think it is reasonable to judge how much of the Bible was written by a single individual as a measure of primacy. Paul communicated God's words more than seven times as much as Peter.

That's just your opinion. I disagree. How many people did Jesus call "Satan"? How many people did Jesus rebuke for drawing his sword? How many people were cited as hypocrites by Paul?

Not to many of us have been called "Satan", have been reprimanded for our violent behavior, and have been cited for our hypocritical behavior as church leaders?

I was a church elder until I retired a few years ago. Nobody called me "Satan" or even implied it, I have never harmed anyone with a weapon, or was accused of behaving hypocritically. I have my faults as we all do, but Peter was deeply flawed.

And that is just your opinion.
The OP clearly shows that that Peter was given leadership of all the other apostles - and others recognised that.
It's not about faults.
It's not about how much someone wrote.
It's about leadership.
You have made no attempt to address the points I made in the OP about Peter's leadership.

And that is just your opinion.
The OP clearly shows that that Peter was given leadership of all the other apostles - and others recognised that.
It's not about faults.
It's not about how much someone wrote.
It's about leadership.
You have made no attempt to address the points I made in the OP about Peter's leadership.
And that is just your opinion. I believe what the Bible clearly says, not individuals' opinions. Sola scriptura!

And that is just your opinion. I believe what the Bible clearly says, not individuals' opinions. Sola scriptura!

If you believed what the Bible clearly says then you would agree that Peter was appointed leader of the apostles.

That does not disprove anything in the OP.
Just proves your men can be fallible. One difference concerning Peter, he unlike most men, received his correction and became better for it. That humbleness before God thing that most in religious pursuits wouldn't know about 😉😉 People could really stand to learn a lot by Peter's example. As it stands PRIDE goes before a fall, Peter stands because he was humble. What a Cepha!❤️

Back