Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Protestant Pope and The Passion

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

GodsGrace

Staff member
CF Ambassador
We may be needing a Protestant Pope soon.

There's a new bible out called The Passion Bible.
It has watered down Christianity to make it more attractive perhaps?
I'm posting a link to a discussion regarding this new bible version.

Do we need a protestant Pope?
Someone who will declare what we need to believe in order to be called a Protestant?
Someone who will tell us which are the true doctrines.....
What is right and what is not.

No, really.
Think about it.
We're becoming too splintered - more than in the past.

We have:
The Hyper Grace Movement
The Word of Faith Movement
The Progressive Church
Seventh Day Adventists
Mormons

and what's going to happen with the new generation reading new bible "versions" that are written by only one person?

The Catholic Church has remained united because it has a teaching office....
Here it's the CEI - all children learn the same doctrines.
We may not agree with all of them (I don't), but at least they're united in their beliefs.....
at least t he "real" Catholics are. Some don't even know why they're Catholic.

Just watch a few minutes of the following...I also did not watch more than about 10 minutes, but I got the idea.

Something definitely needs to be done to curve these misrepresentations of Christianity....
but what?

Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:31-32

• If you abide in My word…you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

JLB

Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:31-32

• If you abide in My word…you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

JLB
But are we free to distort God's Word?

I can foresee a couple of generations down the line that will no longer know what God's Word is.
How can a bible be published that is incorrect in its translation...let alone its doctrinal issues - of which some are caused
by the mis-translation (of the Hebrew or Greek).

Doesn't this refer to:

2 Timothy 4:3
3For the time will come when they will not tolerate sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance with their own desires.

Sound Doctrine is waning
People want to hear what they like to hear and would want to be true (easy believism).
There are pastors that are willing to comply in order to fill up their churches.

Here is the BIG problem with The Passion Bible is calling it a translation but words are added ! It is like the author is " juicing up " the text .
https://thinktheology.co.uk/blog/article/whats_wrong_with_the_passion_translation

We have:
The Hyper Grace Movement
The Progressive Church
Seventh Day Adventists
Mormons
And Pentecostal ( but we don't pass the snakes out among us ) :) .
and what's going to happen with the new generation reading new bible "versions" that are written by only one person?
I pray that God gives them the discernment to know the truth .
Just watch a few minutes of the following...I also did not watch more than about 10 minutes, but I got the idea.
I watched the first 10 minutes also , when the author starts talking about his download from God and how we do not have the real Revelation yet 😲 . I will read his version of Revelation and see what is going on . https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation+1&version=TPT

Here is the BIG problem with The Passion Bible is calling it a translation but words are added ! It is like the author is " juicing up " the text .
https://thinktheology.co.uk/blog/article/whats_wrong_with_the_passion_translation

Hi Hawkman...
Right...the author is writing (translating??) his bible as HE wishes to.
I like bibles that were written by a number of theologians...not just one, as he will introduce his own beliefs into the texts.
At least with other bibles we could discuss the meaning of verses - some are not easy.
The NLT (New Living Translation) is not a very good study bible,,,but I've been reading it lately and I like it.
It's easy to read and understand and it seems to be keeping to the translation of the NASB, which is what I'm used to.
Sometimes, if I'm not sure about a verse, I get out my NASB to check it to see if the NLT holds true to the translation!
I guess a bible has to earn your trust,,,just like everything else in life.

And Pentecostal ( but we don't pass the snakes out among us ) :) .

I wouldn't add Pentecostals to the list.
If you check, you'll see that it's either a movement or a denomination that does not understand Christianity like the mainstream Christian theologians do (of the different denominations).

I don't believe I have to speak in tongues to prove the empowerment of the Holy Spirit, or the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
But this might be because I don't speak in tongues....
But, Oy Vey, no denomination is perfect. (except mine of course LOL).

I pray that God gives them the discernment to know the truth .
Are the next generations going to find the truth in the churches?
I'm beginning to wonder.
But God said there will always be a remnant...
Romans 11:5

I watched the first 10 minutes also , when the author starts talking about his download from God and how we do not have the real Revelation yet 😲 . I will read his version of Revelation and see what is going on . https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation+1&version=TPT
Yes. Pretty shocking. I thought Jesus was the last real revelation.
Good.
Please report back with your findings.

JLB
P.S. I know what you mean by ABIDING in the Word....
What my fear is regards the fact that the Word may be changing!
I believe the Holy Spirit will not allow this to happen.

Over 5000 different religions in the world and who are we to believe is teaching truth by that of the Holy Spirit as they all have their own doctrines they believe in. I will let scripture speak for me as what Jesus taught and the warnings He gave to all of us.

Mat 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
Mat 24:25 Behold, I have told you before.

1John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.
1John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
1John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
1John 2:21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.
1John 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
1John 2:23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.
1John 2:24 Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.
1John 2:25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.
1John 2:26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
1John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

1John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
1John 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
1John 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
1John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
1John 4:5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.
1John 4:6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

Over 5000 different religions in the world and who are we to believe is teaching truth by that of the Holy Spirit as they all have their own doctrines they believe in. I will let scripture speak for me as what Jesus taught and the warnings He gave to all of us.

Mat 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
Mat 24:25 Behold, I have told you before.

1John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.
1John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
1John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
1John 2:21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.
1John 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
1John 2:23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.
1John 2:24 Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.
1John 2:25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.
1John 2:26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
1John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

1John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
1John 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
1John 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
1John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
1John 4:5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.
1John 4:6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
Hi FHG
Thanks for the above.

I think it's addressing individuals and how they are to know and keep God's word.

What about the church in general?
Do you have any fear that the Word is being watered down and misrepresented?

I had considered doing some work by listening to the entire video that was linked...2 hours long...and then comparing it to the NASB, which I trust.

But this thread is not particularly about The Passion version of the bible, but how the church may be very different in the future due to movements that are accepted and diluted versions of the bible, written by one man, and how this might change the knowledge t hat future generations will have about God.

It made me question if there shouldn't be some type of authority that could state , for example , that this version of the bible is not acceptable.

P.S. I know what you mean by ABIDING in the Word....
What my fear is regards the fact that the Word may be changing!
I believe the Holy Spirit will not allow this to happen.
This world became corrupt from the time of Adam through disobedience continuing through out the generations. This world will never change as it will wax worse and worse until the last day when Christ returns and makes an end of evil casting it into the lake of fire. Our hope is in Christ as we are no longer of this world even though we have to live in it.

2Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2Timothy 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
2Timothy 3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
2Timothy 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
2Timothy 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
2Timothy 3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
2Timothy 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

The true Church is the body of Christ through the Spiritual rebirth as we are baptized in the Baptism of Christ for receiving the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Christ Jesus is the head of the body of His true congregation that makes up the church of Christ.

God does not recognize organized religions as He is about us having that relationship with Christ as we fellowship with one another walking in obedience to God's commands and statures and He being in the midst of the fellowship.

James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Hi FHG
Thanks for the above.

I think it's addressing individuals and how they are to know and keep God's word.

Do you have any fear that the Word is being watered down and misrepresented?

I had considered doing some work by listening to the entire video that was linked...2 hours long...and then comparing it to the NASB, which I trust.

But this thread is not particularly about The Passion version of the bible, but how the church may be very different in the future due to movements that are accepted and diluted versions of the bible, written by one man, and how this might change the knowledge t hat future generations will have about God.

It made me question if there shouldn't be some type of authority that could state , for example , that this version of the bible is not acceptable.
We can read the beginning of God's true Church being founded on the day of Pentecost when Peter started preaching to the crowds and telling them to repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. , Acts 2.

From that time forth many false prophets had gone out distorting the word God adding to it and taking away from it as they have already damned themselves to the lake of fire on judgement day. The spirit of Jezebel runs rampant through many churches as they will believe everything that comes out of the pulpit as they kick Jesus to the curb as they believe the doctrines of devils.

for a while there, my general region had the "Popes of the Carolinas." young(ish), celebrity megachurch pastors. and...

-sigh- not to come down too, too hard on the Protestant megachurch concept, but...things fell apart, let's put it that way. :-(

I kind of think the Protestant Reformation, all by itself...kind of helps foster the sort of hyper-individualistic Christianity that lends itself well to denominational splits and church splits and occasional heretical movements, rarely a cult or two. not that I'm knocking Protestantism-- I'm not churched right now, but I'm Protestant -- its just..."the nature of the beast," I think is the saying. Or "it is what it is." That, too.

I dunno. Speaking from a personal perspective, I kind of crave...if not a Pope, then a Protestant Magisterium. You know...a bunch of amazingly well educated, well traveled experts in all things Scriptural who could/would put a stamp of approval on quality material. again...I'm Protestant, but when I crave some quality info on anything related to the Christian life, I often jump for Catholic sources. Nothing too crazy....the online version of the Catholic encyclopedia was a go-to for a while, there, just as an example...

not because I'm 110% down with all their doctrine, but because they -do- have the well educated experts and such going over material before it gets the stamp of approval. Honestly, I've learned alot from -free- online Catholic sources (Magisterium approved, of course) that I would have had to shell out $$$ to learn from books in (Protestant) Christian bookstores. "it is what it is..."

ok. interesting idea, and as always, forgive me for rambling. :)

I guess a bible has to earn your trust,,,just like everything else in life.
I do you use a KJV the most because it is what I have heard and read the most . But I have I read others as well , NIV would be second . The Message is a one man Bible too and I have read it and some of it is kind of odd .
I wouldn't add Pentecostals to the list.
If you check, you'll see that it's either a movement or a denomination that does not understand Christianity like the mainstream Christian theologians do (of the different denominations).
Ahhh ! I got what you are saying now .

We may be needing a Protestant Pope soon.

It has watered down Christianity to make it more attractive perhaps?
I'm posting a link to a discussion regarding this new bible version.

Do we need a protestant Pope?
Someone who will declare what we need to believe in order to be called a Protestant?
Someone who will tell us which are the true doctrines.....
What is right and what is not.

No, really.
Think about it.
We're becoming too splintered - more than in the past.

We have:
The Hyper Grace Movement
The Progressive Church
Seventh Day Adventists
Mormons

The Catholic Church has remained united because it has a teaching office....
Here it's the CEI - all children learn the same doctrines.
We may not agree with all of them (I don't), but at least they're united in their beliefs.....
at least t he "real" Catholics are. Some don't even know why they're Catholic.

Something definitely needs to be done to curve these misrepresentations of Christianity....
but what?

True christians/messianics are all united/One in Jesus/Yeshua and "all passed through the same sea and cloud".
And we have the Bible/Word including the authority writings of Paul, Peter, John.
And the Spirit of Truth.
And the NT does say we have bishops, pastors, elders, deacons, and that we have respect for them.

It was prophesied that there would be infiltrators, wolves in sheeps clothing, birds in the tree, tares among the wheat, itching ears, Nicolatines, lukewarm, love grown cold.
On the "cults" there are some good books like Spirit of Truth & Spirit of Error, and Challenge of the Cults by Maurice Burrell.
Apostles Creed? 95 Theses? 39 articles? Lusanne covenant?
And messianic Jews have helpful knowledge and understanding.

All religions and political movements in history have splinterings, and true/good and false/bad followers. Eg there are quite a lot of Muslim sects in addition to the major split between Shiite and Sunnite.

It is true and sad that there are so many different churches/denominations and bible translations.
English translations are often pretty poor and inaccurate (I've seen this with Bible (eg "Zerah the Cushite/Ethiopian"), Atlantis Account, King Arthur texts, etc).
I've found the NIV misleading in some verses I researched.
I like these original languages helps:
The Dead Sea Scrolls showed how accurately the bible has been preserved.

There is a problem in modern world of people having too much faith in "experts" (or "science"). People are lead to accept the experts are all right gods and "non-experts" are all wrong. But experts can be wrong or lying.

The Jehovah's Witnesses have a governing body of experienced elders which oversee branch offices and translation and printing of bible study material.

We can know who are true christians/messianics or not by whether they follow Jesus or not. Jesus never lead crusades or inquistions or witch burnings or child abuse etc.

Btw I don't call myself a "Protestant", though I'm not a Catholic either, though I like some things in Catholicism.
There are some false "Roman" theological beliefs in christianity and catholicism.
Gibeonites?

Btw I don't call myself a "Protestant", though I'm not a Catholic either, though I like some things in Catholicism.
There are some false "Roman" theological beliefs in christianity and catholicism.
Gibeonites?
Could you shed some light on what you are talking about when you say " false beliefs " ? :?

Could you shed some light on what you are talking about when you say " false beliefs " ? :?

Unfortunately I didn't write the seeming "Roman" false theological beliefs all down at the times so its not easy to remember on the spot.
There are of course the well known things like popes, Christmas, Easter, saints, Sunday "sabbath", Mary, confession, clerical celebacy, etc. These things even occur in Protestant churches to some extant. But I don't just mean these things.
There are other "theological"-like things I noticed in pastors sermons etc but its hard for me to remember examples. It is sort of like not being much about Jesus or God or bible etc but being more fake artificial human worldly efforts/morals (like the human traditions and legalism of the Scribes and Pharisees), and individualism. And a sort of false dualistic views of what is "good"/orthodox and "evil"/heretical. And as I said in another topic/thread how there is so much negative-like self-suffering poverty-gospel slave-mentality. Sort of like using religion as a "straight jacket" way to control people, and/or mixing with pre-christian pagan (Roman) or evolution, or wolves in sheeps clothing.
And I could maybe also add many christians relegating people to "mental health" services.
I also noticed a sort of Communistic or Atlantean or globalistic trend/strain in some churches eg Peoples Assemblies in Wales, Jehovahs Witnesses.

Cain - Abel
works/earn - faith
law - grace
sacrifice - mercy/lovingkindness
flesh/carnal - spirit
heavy/hard - light/easy
Mammon/world - God
old/666 - new/888
shallow/external - deep/internal
slave/bond - free
cold/lukewarm - hot
goat - sheep