Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

THE SABBATH

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

GodsGrace

Staff member
CF Ambassador
There's a difference regarding the Sabbath.
Reformed theology and Calvinist theology differ somewhat.

One believes the Sabbath was CHANGED.
One believes the Sabbath was ABOLISHED.

Could anyone here inform me which is which,
and what the difference is between CHANGED and ABOLISHED?

If not,
No problem.

If not,
No problem.
I think this is an issue that will generate more heat than light.
But for what it's worth this is my opinion:
The Sabbath was part of the Old (Sinai) Covenant that was only for the Jews. It was a sign of that Covenant and never applied to gentiles, so whether it was changed or abolished is not relevant to Christians.
However as the Old Covenant ended and replaced by the New Covenant I suppose we could say it was abolished.

The Sabbath was part of the Old (Sinai) Covenant that was only for the Jews. It was a sign of that Covenant and never applied to gentiles, so whether it was changed or abolished is not relevant to Christians.
However as the Old Covenant ended and replaced by the New Covenant I suppose we could say it was abolished.
I don't mean this to be another thread on the Sabbath - by no means.
My question is very specific and this CANNOT become a Sabbath thread because it's in CALVINISM.

I could add here something that I forgot to mention.

Do the respondents consider the 4th commandment to be
MORAL
or
CEREMONIAL
?

My question is very specific and this CANNOT become a Sabbath thread because it's in CALVINISM.

MORAL
or
CEREMONIAL
?

I'm wanting to respond too, and since the rest of what's going on is boring me, not being able to post is a little cruel.

What if I impersonate a Calvinist, and then throw you off really bad with my answer? Lol.

I'm wanting to respond too, and since the rest of what's going on is boring me, not being able to post is a little cruel.

What if I impersonate a Calvinist, and then throw you off really bad with my answer? Lol.
Yeah. I know you. You love this.
Maybe you should really start a thread on the Sabbath?
I'm not 100% convinced either way.

But as to the above...
Yeah. Make up a good reply....
just make sure to put a smiley face at the end so our Calvinist friends don't get too upset.

Or
There may not be any that care to get involved in this.

Good night C,
keep an eye on the place.

MORAL
or
CEREMONIAL
?
How does this query of yours relate to calvinism ?

How does this query of yours relate to calvinism ?
I’m guessing she’s alluding to the fact that the Catholic Church officially changed the Sabbath day from the 7th day of the week to the 1st day of the week (the early church having merely added the first day of the week meeting), eventually outlawing the 7th day observance altogether and declaring anyone who keeps it anathema (accursed). Essentially saying the fundamental requirement for rest and convocation continue but just on a different day. While Protestants generally understand the Sabbath observance to have been abolished (laid aside) altogether.

Last edited:
Deuteronomy 5:14

”neither the foreigner within your gates”

It’s better to to say it was for God’s people, rather than the Jews when referring to the old covenant of law.

If not,
No problem.
The Sabbath is the same today as it was during Creation Week....but some might argue, "No no no, the Sabbath didn't exist until Sinai because it wasn't called 'Sabbath' until Exodus."

Proof the Sabbath indeed goes all the way back to Eden:

1 Chronicles 17:27 says when God blesses something, it's blessed forever.
At Sinai, Exodus 20 says God blessed the Sabbath day - the 7th day - and hallowed it.
QUESTION: When did He bless the Sabbath day?
Not at Sinai!
Why?

Because the blessing of the Sabbath day
had to have taken place all the way back in Eden on the 7th day - unless we're willing to deny 1 Chronicles 17:27 KJV and insist God's blessing in Eden was somehow deficient and needed a *mountaintop booster shot*.

But, thankfully, "Thou blessest and it shall be blessed forever". That 7th day blessing from Eden remained as potent and as eternal as ever, at the time of Sinai, at the time of Jesus, in the here and now, and for all eternity we'll worship on that eternally blessed 7th day Sabbath.

Last edited:
The same Ten Commandments, which Scripture declares existed before Israel got to Sinai, applies to both covenants - the only difference being where the law is written.

"I will put My laws in their minds and write them on their hearts".

"Written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God. Not on tables of stone, but on the fleshly tables of the heart."

I’m guessing she’s alluding to the fact that the Catholic Church officially changed the Sabbath day from the 7th day of the week to the 1st day of the week (the early church having merely added the first day of the week meeting), eventually outlawing the 7th day observance altogether and declaring anyone who keeps it anathema (accursed). Essentially saying the fundamental requirement for rest and convocation continue but just on a different day. While Protestants generally understand the Sabbath observance to have been abolished (laid aside) altogether.
J,
I know catholic theology!

I'll wait to see if
atpollard or Fastfredy0 have an answer and then I think it'll be closed.

…what the difference is between CHANGED and ABOLISHED?
Changed means the official Sabbath day and observance is now on Sunday, not Saturday.

Abolished means the Mosaic law of Sabbath with it’s requirements is now laid aside having become unneeded and obsolete by virtue of God’s people having been brought near to God in Sabbath Rest and holy convocation one time for all time through the new way of faith in Christ.

I suppose reformists/Calvinists believe both of these are true.

I know catholic theology!
Then you know that it is the Catholic Church that changed the Sabbath day from Saturday to Sunday and made it unlawful to keep a 7th day Sabbath. Most Protestants don’t know this and think God changed it. Or just think it’s always been on Sunday. As we can see, the Reformists carried this teaching with them into the Reformation.

If you don't know, I can't explain it to you.

I'M asking You to explain it to me.
Lets keep the threads on items that are traditionally viewed as calvinism in this forum if you dont mind, unless you can show the connection. And Just so you know, I consider items such as Total inability of man Spiritually, Unconditional Election, Limited Atonement, Irresistible Grace, and Preservation of the Saints such Items, or matters derived from them. Thanks

So far we've got one Calvinist who obviously isn't particularly interested in answering the question, one Catholic who readily gave his within the first fifteen minutes, one Protestant who soon countered it with his own, one Seventh Day Adventist who is already hammering away at the SDA position to no end, and the guy with the best answer of all biting his lip because he's abiding by the OP's wishes to limit the scope of the discussion....

Love it when a plan comes together. :thumb

Then you know that it is the Catholic Church that changed the Sabbath day from Saturday to Sunday

The Catholic Church did NOT change the Sabbath to Sunday.

Back