Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

There is no God

JM

With all the talk about logic and pseudo intellectual posturing going on, I thought I bring this important point up.

The idea of atheism is logically false. For someone to claim to be an "atheist" they're claiming to know everything. You have to know everything [all things] to know there is no God and since the human mind is finite the atheist cannot know all things.

If you don't believe in God, what is the evidence for not believing? What logic are you using to come to this conclusion?

If you know there isn't a God, what is the evidence for knowing? Where's the proof?

I'd like to have a look at the evidence. If the atheist is able to disprove evidence for God, this doesn't mean God doesn't exist, only the proof presented was disproved. Logically, we cannot disprove God based on proof of God, you have to present proof that God doesn't exist.

Ok, I'm taking off. Back to my dusty theology books.

JM

Once again, you demonstrate a misunderstanding about atheism.

Please, JM, I'm begging you! Read a book about this, before you post! Read a website! Read the Wikipedia entry on atheism! Read something so you're not making false claims!

For someone to claim to be an "atheist" they're claiming to know everything. You have to know everything [all things] to know there is no God and since the human mind is finite the atheist cannot know all things.

You are correct - the position of strong atheism is that there is no God. However, this is by no means the only kind of atheism.

...but if you had read about atheism before you posted, you would have known that already.

Novum said:
You are correct - the position of strong atheism is that there is no God.

Yes, I know I'm correct. What you write of is called agnostic atheism. Is it possible you're not sure of what you believe?

Any comments on the questions I posted?

JM said:
Yes, I know I'm correct. What you write of is called agnostic atheism. Is it possible you're not sure of what you believe?

Thanks, I'm quite sure what I believe. I'm a weak atheist (agnostic atheist).

Your comments read as strawmen based solely on your interpretation of strong atheism. I am not a strong atheist, therefore it'd make no sense for me to comment.

Novum said:
JM said:

Thanks, I'm quite sure what I believe. I'm a weak atheist (agnostic atheist).

Your comments read as strawmen based solely on your interpretation of strong atheism. I am not a strong atheist, therefore it'd make no sense for me to comment.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. :-? I guess that's your last post then? [probably not]

JM said:
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. :-? I guess that's your last post then? [probably not]

I'd of course be interested in talking about atheism, you merely need to ask non-strawman questions. I just won't defend a position (strong atheism) that I do not endorse.

When I was an atheist, I used this on my hindu ex-girl friend: "I am god almighty. Prove me that I am not".

The conversation used to go something like this.
Her: god created the great universe.
Me: Well thank you. Glad you like it.
Her: You didnt create it.
Me: You have proof I didn't?
Her: Well you create something infront of me and I will believe.
Me: Actually, you show me your god who created the universe and I will show you that I am him.

To say that an atheist is wrong because he can't prove that a god doesn't exist is like saying my ex-gf was wrong and I am god because she couldn't prove otherwise.

Atheism is not always belief that there is no god but also unbelief for the lack of a personal proof that there is.

But
Romans 1:20 said:
Ever since the creation of the world his invisible nature, namely, His eternal power and deity, has been clearly perceived in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse;

JM said:
With all the talk about logic and pseudo intellectual posturing going on, I thought I bring this important point up.

The idea of atheism is logically false. For someone to claim to be an "atheist" they're claiming to know everything. You have to know everything [all things] to know there is no God and since the human mind is finite the atheist cannot know all things.
Why is the idea of atheism logically false? Do you have a reason to believe that a God exists outside of the default you have no other answers for lifes mysteries? Not having an answer or solution at this time does not default to the existance of a God. On the contrary it is theists that claim thay know everything by defaulting every unknown reality to the existance of an unproven supernatural being.

If you don't believe in God, what is the evidence for not believing? What logic are you using to come to this conclusion?
You have your logic bass ackward. In your world if something cannot be proven to NOT EXIST then it must. Is this logical? Atheists don't need reasons to not believe they need reason too believe. That is what atheism is , a lack of belief based on the evidence or in this case lack of evidence.

If you know there isn't a God, what is the evidence for knowing? Where's the proof?
Again the lack of evidence is the reason to not believe. Those that believe and plead for others to believe need to show the evidence that what they want to believe is in fact real and provable.

I'd like to have a look at the evidence. If the atheist is able to disprove evidence for God, this doesn't mean God doesn't exist, only the proof presented was disproved. Logically, we cannot disprove God based on proof of God, you have to present proof that God doesn't exist.
You need to look at the evidence for your beliefs. The one making the claim bears the burden of proof and in this case it's not the atheist. Just like I can't prove Santa doesn't exist somewhere in the universe I can't prove God doesn't exist either. It's called proving a negative so the ball is in your court not the unbelievers.

Ok, I'm taking off. Back to my dusty theology books.

JM

Re: captain

reznwerks said:
gingercat said:
Atheists don't realize that you are your own god.

Captain of my own ship might be a better analogy.

You have confidence in yourself too much. God calls it arrogance and self righteousness. :sad

Re: captain

reznwerks said:
gingercat said:
Atheists don't realize that you are your own god.

Captain of my own ship might be a better analogy.

You have confidence in yourself too much. God calls it arrogance and self righteousness. :sad

I look at it this way. There is no way we can prove that God exists. But I look at the flowers, the trees, the universe, and I just can't see how there cannot be a God.

Gendou Ikari said:
I look at it this way. There is no way we can prove that God exists. But I look at the flowers, the trees, the universe, and I just can't see how there cannot be a God.

Sounds like selective observation to me. If you're going to look at the world around you, look at the whole thing. While you look at flowers, take note of leprosy and the bubonic plague. When you see the trees, note the food shortages, cancer, AIDS, and hepatitis. If you admire the universe, know that this Earth is an insignificant speck in a small corner of a vast space and know that all it takes is an asteroid just a few miles wide to impact this planet and kill us all off - and there's nothing we can do about it. And if we should die out in that way or nuke ourselves to death, the universe won't care.

I don't mean to sound doom-and-gloom, but picking and choosing what we look at doesn't get us very far. ;)

see

Gendou Ikari said:
I see the same flowers , universe and trees that you do. I don't see a God and neither do you. Are you saying you can't possibly think of any other possibility that may be responsible for our existance? Even possibilities that we are not aware of as yet? Is it necessary that we have an answer to our beginnings? Do you realize that we may never know the true origins of our beginnings and that is OK. You see accepting the possibility of a creator is one thing then it's another matter altogether to link him to the Christian god.

Re: see

reznwerks said:
I don't see a God and neither do you. [/b]

I don't see the air and neither do you but it exists! We have feelings, but we cannot see. Just because we cannot see do not mean they don't exist.

We have buildings and we have builders. We have trees and who is the creator?

Just time to link to what I think is a series to air soon on Christian freeview TV stations, @ how Jesus fulfils so many OT prophecies

I know @ 100 referred to His 1st Advent - of which 30 were @ Calvary

& there are @ 300 @ His return, as the 'consummation of all things' has been uppermost in God's thinking since even before He made the world

The Bible says that He planned the way of salvation back then, even knowing the great pain & cost of choosing to make free-will humans, not robots incapable of love:-

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/200 ... 3.107.html

God bless!

Ian

Re: see

gingercat said:
I don't see the air and neither do you but it exists! We have feelings, but we cannot see. Just because we cannot see do not mean they don't exist.

We have buildings and we have builders. We have trees and who is the creator?

False analogy. Please provide evidence that all buildings require builders and all trees require creators.

Back