Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

This was my devotional today.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
January 8

Divinely Chosen and Called​

“I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, entreat you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called” (Ephesians 4:1).

We didn’t choose God; He chose us.

What is “the calling with which [we] have been called”? It is simply the position we have now as Christians. Paul said the Christians at Corinth were “saints by calling” (1 Cor. 1:2). Peter instructed his readers to make certain about God’s calling and choosing them (2 Peter 1:10). Our calling is a high calling (Phil. 3:14), “a holy calling” (2 Tim. 1:9), and “a heavenly calling” (Heb. 3:1).
Who called us? Jesus has the answer: “No one can come to Me, unless the Father who sent Me draws him” (John 6:44). Jesus also said, “You did not choose Me, but I chose you” (15:16). Those “whom [God] predestined, these He also called; and whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified” (Rom. 8:30). God called out to us, we responded in faith, and He saved us.

Suppose after investigating all the different religions of the world, a person chose Christianity. If Christianity were nothing more than a simple, personal choice to be saved, this person would have a certain level of commitment—that is, “Since I’ve decided to do it, it’s worth doing.” But if I’m a Christian because before the world began, the sovereign God of the universe chose me to spend eternity in His presence, that creates a much greater level of commitment.

If a single woman approached a bachelor, told him he had characteristics she admired, and asked him if he would be interested in marrying her, there would be something missing in that courtship. But suppose he approaches this woman first and says, “I have gone from one end of the world to the other, and your character and beauty surpass all others. Will you marry me?” We know then that nothing is missing.

Magnify that illustration by considering God’s perspective. We didn’t ask God if we could get in on a salvation deal. Out of all the people in the world, He chose us to receive His mercy! That’s a high, holy, heavenly calling. Such a calling demands a response of commitment, doesn’t it?

Suggestions for Prayer
Thank God for His grace in choosing and calling you.

For Further Study
Read Romans 8:29-39.
  • How did Paul respond to the knowledge of God’s calling for his life?
  • How should God’s calling affect your attitude?

From Strength for Today by John MacArthur

Romans 8:29-39

Because those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers; 30 and those whom He predestined, He also called; and those whom He called, He also justified; and those whom He justified, He also glorified. 31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? 32 He who indeed did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him graciously give us all things? 33 Who will bring a charge against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies; 34 who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. 35 Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will affliction, or turmoil, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 Just as it is written, “FOR YOUR SAKE WE ARE BEING PUT TO DEATH ALL DAY LONG; WE WERE COUNTED AS SHEEP FOR the SLAUGHTER.” 37 But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Do you know what a Strawman argument is? You just made one here.
Not my concern.

I understand Soteriology very well and looking at the link you provided, it would have no impact on my thoughts. I used to think as the Arminian does.

There are to many debates on this topic already in this forum.

Please feel free to jump in one of those.

In all honesty I should have posted this devotion in one of those threads.

Grace and peace to you.

Not my concern.

It is if you want to be a reasonable person arguing well for your perspective.

I understand Soteriology very well and looking at the link you provided, it would have no impact on my thoughts. I used to think as the Arminian does.

There are more soteriological perspectives than the Armenian one, as the content at the website I linked to reveals. But, since you've already shown you're thinking in Strawman terms about these other perspectives, it isn't really surprising that you think there is only this one basic alternative to your soteriological view.

There are to many debates on this topic already in this forum.

Please feel free to jump in one of those.

No, thanks. I've done all the wrangling I want to do over this matter. Dr. Flowers does an excellent job of countering Reformed doctrine and so it makes more sense just to link to his stuff.

It is if you want to be a reasonable person arguing well for your perspective.

There are more soteriological perspectives than the Armenian one, as the content at the website I linked to reveals. But, since you've already shown you're thinking in Strawman terms about these other perspectives, it isn't really surprising that you think there is only this one basic alternative to your soteriological view.

No, thanks. I've done all the wrangling I want to do over this matter. Dr. Flowers does an excellent job of countering Reformed doctrine and so it makes more sense just to link to his stuff.
There is no need to debate or argue a point. I am not a full fledged Apologist.

In all honesty, if this was a real debate, we would not be sitting behind computers hashing it out.

Grace and peace to you.

If that isn't among the most egoistic prayers I ever heard on a par with, "God, I thank you that I am not like other men."
Please explain oh wise one.

Your comparison to the Pharisee (Luke 18:11) is not even close.

Is it because it does not line up with your opinions of the Bible?

Thank God for His grace in choosing and calling you.

How is that egotistical. That is thanking God and giving Him glory for His election of us.

Last edited:
Funny. The other member does not do man-centered soteriology or doctrines.
I guess John Calvin and John McArthur are not men.

As you likely already know, the "doctrines of grace" (a poor description of Reformed beliefs if I've ever heard one) hold, among other things, that every person is, from birth, profoundly disposed to wickedness and utterly blind to the saving truth of the Gospel (the "T" of "TULIP" - Total Depravity). Of course, this complete incapacity to respond to the Gospel is read into Scripture, not stated explicitly in any passage of the Bible (not even Ephesians 2:1). From this Total Depravity doctrine arises the idea that no man can do anything to save himself. Except God first regenerates him spiritually, a man is just too "dead in trespasses and sins" to take in, and respond to, the truths of the Gospel in even the slightest degree.

As a person who stands somewhere between Molinism and Provisionism on the soteriological spectrum, I agree that, without God, no man can come to a saving faith in Christ (John 6:44; 1 Corinthians 2:10-16; John 16:8; 2 Timothy 2:25). There isn't any place in God's word, however, that forbids what the Reformed proponent calls "synergism" - a cooperation of some kind between saved and Savior. As Dr. Leighton Flowers puts it, the Bible teaches that we are responsible for what we do with the Gospel; that is, we are "response-able" toward the Gospel, which is, itself, the "power of God unto salvation." (Romans 1:16)

Matthew 23:37 (NASB)
37 "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling.

John 5:39-40 (NASB)
39 "You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me;
40 and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

Matthew 22:2-3 (NASB)
2 "The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son.
3 "And he sent out his slaves to call those who had been invited to the wedding feast, and they were unwilling to come.

Acts 7:38-39 (NASB)
38 "This is the one who was in the congregation in the wilderness together with the angel who was speaking to him on Mount Sinai, and who was with our fathers; and he received living oracles to pass on to you.
39 "Our fathers were unwilling to be obedient to him, but repudiated him and in their hearts turned back to Egypt,

"Unwilling" is not the same as "unable." A blind man, for example, is not unwilling to see, he's unable to see; but a man who refuses to see (ie. - he just ran over a cat with his car and doesn't want to see what he's done to the cat) is not unable to do so, he is merely unwilling. Typically, in the Reformed view (which, admittedly, encompasses a sometimes wide and baffling spectrum of perspective), a person is not merely unwilling to respond positively to God's invitation of salvation but is entirely unable to do so. As the verses above (and others unmentioned besides) indicate, however, people refuse God and His offer of salvation, not because they are utterly unable to accept His offer, but because they are unwilling to do so.

The idea, then, that a non-Reformed view of salvation is "man-centered" (and thus a horrible diminishment of God) is silly. A man who has a cancerous brain tumor removed from his skull by a brain surgeon is not diminishing the utter necessity and value of the brain surgeon to the man's being saved by pointing out that, had he not first believed the diagnosis of a brain tumor, and trusted in the suggested remedy of brain surgery, and lain down on the operating table and submitted to brain surgery, he would not have been saved from the deadly effect of his tumor. While all of these things were necessary predicates to being saved from a brain tumor, to the final removal of the tumor the diseased man could contribute nothing. All he could do was receive from the surgeon the life-saving surgery he needed. How, then, is the response of the sick man to the saving work of the surgeon a diminishment of the surgeon's work?

Matthew 18:2-4 (NASB)
2 And He called a child to Himself and set him before them,
3 and said, "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.
4 "Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 11:28-30 (NASB)
28 "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.
30 "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

James 4:10 (NASB)
10 Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you.

Luke 18:13-14 (NASB)
13 "But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, the sinner!'
14 "I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Do these verses diminish God's saving work? They indicate that a man must respond to God by humbling himself before Him, and when the man does, he may enter into relationship with God. The Reformed believer, though, holds that no man can do so except God forces him into a place of humility - in stark contradiction to the verses above. In each of them, the responsibility for being humble is placed upon the individual, not God. A man must humble himself, not wait on God to force him into humbleness.

Anyway, the whole Reformed "man-centered" doctrinal boogey-man is only a troubling thing from inside Reformed thinking, not from outside of it.

This thread is about a devotional I posted about Election.

I love how everyone here thread is flying off the mouth how unbiblical the doctrine is.

But not one of you so-called educated bible scholars (gasp) have yet to debunk this doctrine.

I have made a thread specifically for this doctrine. wondering was supposed to discuss the doctrine there. I have called her out several times and she finally said she will not participate. Fair enough.

If you people believe the doctrine of Gods sovereign election is truly heretical and unbiblical, I encourage you to partake in this thread. The thread has been around for 7 days and not one person has replied in it.

Show proof God does not elect His people, corporately and individually.

https://christianforums.net/threads/a-parable-about-gods-sovereign-election.94552/

Grace and peace to you.

This thread is about a devotional I posted about Election.

I love how everyone here thread is flying off the mouth how unbiblical the doctrine is.

But not one of you so-called educated bible scholars (gasp) have yet to debunk this doctrine.

I have made a thread specifically for this doctrine. wondering was supposed to discuss the doctrine there. I have called her out several times and she finally said she will not participate. Fair enough.

If you people believe the doctrine of Gods sovereign election is truly heretical and unbiblical, I encourage you to partake in this thread. The thread has been around for 7 days and not one person has replied in it.

Show proof God does not elect His people, corporately and individually.

https://christianforums.net/threads/a-parable-about-gods-sovereign-election.94552/

Grace and peace to you.
You're not an apologist, your own words, so why would I care to speak to someone that does not even understand their own doctrine, or, that is not even honest about it.

No one here ever claimed to be a bible scholar.
You have little regard for real bible scholars, apparently.

Also, your use of the phrase "you people" does not inspire good conversation.

You're not an apologist, your own words, so why would I care to speak to someone that does not even understand their own doctrine, or, that is not even honest about it.

No one here ever claimed to be a bible scholar.
You have little regard for real bible scholars, apparently.

Also, your use of the phrase "you people" does not inspire good conversation

But here you are in my threads trying to refute them and failing miserably.

Are you not one of the many here trying to teach things you clearly have no knowledge of?

Grace and peace to you.

Back