Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Three person God identified in the Bible?

Where is the three person God identified in the Bible?

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Adams son

Does the Bible really mention a three person God or is this notion imagined into the Bible?

Where does the Bible mention a three person God?

We know from the scriptures that God is one.

We know from the scriptures that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. he is also shown as being the Word of God and, by virtue of this He is God.

The scriptures also show us that the Holy Ghost/Spirit is God.

By virtue of this we believe that the Father is God, The Son is God and the Holy Ghost/Spirit is God. All three are God.

The risen and ascended Jesus states that he will intercede on the behalf of people with His Father, so we conclude that this Father/Son relastionship continues within the Godhead..

evanman said:

We know from the scriptures that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. he is also shown as being the Word of God and, by virtue of this He is God.

By virtue of this we believe that the Father is God, The Son is God and the Holy Ghost/Spirit is God. All three are God.

The risen and ascended Jesus states that he will intercede on the behalf of people with His Father, so we conclude that this Father/Son relastionship continues within the Godhead..

Show me ONE place in the Bible where a three person God is identified without asking me to imagine an extraneous notion into the text.

Acts 5
3Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? 4Didn't it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn't the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied to men but to God.â€Â

Lying to the Holy Spirit is lying to God.

Adams son said:
evanman said:

Show me ONE place in the Bible where a three person God is identified without asking me to imagine an extraneous notion into the text.

Hi there!

I'm editing this, I had the wrong passage... In the Bible, there are three words in Greek that refer to the Godhead. The use of "theios" is a reference to the trinitarian Godhead. The use of "theiotes" is a more general deity or divinity, and the use of "theotes" is the state of being God, a close second to the trinitarian Godhead.

theios - Godhead

2Pe 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Ac 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Strong's Number: 2304 Browse Lexicon

Original Word Word Origin
qei'oß from (2316)

Transliterated Word TDNT Entry

Theios 3:122,322
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
thi'-os
Adjective

Definition
1. a general name of deities or divinities as used by the Greeks
2. spoken of the only and true God, trinity
a. of Christ
b. Holy Spirit
c. the Father

King James Word Usage - Total: 3
divine 2, Godhead 1

theiotes - Godhead

Ro 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Strong's Number: 2305 Browse Lexicon

qeiovthß from (2304)

Theiotes 3:123,322
thi-ot'-ace
Noun Feminine

Definition
1. divinity, divine nature

King James Word Usage - Total: 1
Godhead 1

:

theotes – Godhead

Col 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

Strong's Number: 2320 Browse Lexicon

qeovthß from (2316)

Theotes 3:119,322
theh-ot'-ace
Noun Feminine

Definition
1. deity
a. the state of being God, Godhead

Godhead 1

DIME Ministries said:
Acts 5
3Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? 4Didn't it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn't the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied to men but to God.â€Â

Lying to the Holy Spirit is lying to God.

Maybe that is because our God who is spirit is a Holy God who is Holy Spirit.

The fact that God the Father is the Holy Spirit is not exactly a far reaching idea is it?

But beware of men, for they will hand you over to the courts and scourge you in their synagogues; and you will even be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles. "But when they hand you over, do not worry about how or what you are to say; for it will be given you in that hour what you are to say. For it is not you who speak, but it is the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you. (Matthew 10)

When they bring you before the synagogues and the rulers and the authorities, do not worry about how or what you are to speak in your defense, or what you are to say; for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say." (Luke 12).

Who conceived Jesus? His Father or some other person called the third person of the Trinity?

The angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy Child shall be called the Son of God.

As it is you still have not presented a single verse which mentions a three person God. Don't you find that a bit strange that God is mentioned thousands of times in the Bible but not once is there a verse which identifies this alleged three person God ? Do ya think just maybe that some people made up this three person God to account for some verses they just wouldn't otherwise know what to do with... like John 1:1 et al?

/

serapha said:
Adams son said:
evanman said:

Hi there!

I'm editing this, I had the wrong passage... In the Bible, there are three words in Greek that refer to the Godhead. The use of "theios" is a reference to the trinitarian Godhead. The use of "theiotes" is a more general deity or divinity, and the use of "theotes" is the state of being God, a close second to the trinitarian Godhead.

theios - Godhead

2Pe 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Ac 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Strong's Number: 2304 Browse Lexicon

qei'oß from (2316)

Theios 3:122,322
thi'-os
Adjective

Definition
1. a general name of deities or divinities as used by the Greeks
2. spoken of the only and true God, trinity
a. of Christ
b. Holy Spirit
c. the Father

King James Word Usage - Total: 3
divine 2, Godhead 1

theiotes - Godhead

Ro 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Strong's Number: 2305 Browse Lexicon

qeiovthß from (2304)

Theiotes 3:123,322
thi-ot'-ace
Noun Feminine

Definition
1. divinity, divine nature

Godhead 1

:

theotes – Godhead

Col 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

Strong's Number: 2320 Browse Lexicon

qeovthß from (2316)

Theotes 3:119,322
theh-ot'-ace
Noun Feminine

Definition
1. deity
a. the state of being God, Godhead

Godhead 1

And all this is to show what? Where is the three person God mentioned?

/

DIME Ministries said:
Each person of God is identified clearly in the Bible.

Yet there is only one God.

Here is a question:

Who raised Jesus from the dead?

God the Father.

Did you think you had something with John 2:19? Give it a whirl and see what happens.

Now here is a question for YOU. Was Jesus and God the Son the same person? If so, was GOD that dead flesh in the tomb? If not, who was dead in the tomb? I do not ask what was dead but WHO.

I await ONE single verse which mentions this three person God. Just ONE.

Something rather interesting.

1 John 5:6-8 (New King James Version):
6This is He who came by water and blood--Jesus Christ; not only by water, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is truth. 7For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. 8And there are three that bear witness on earth: the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and these three agree as one.

Nocturnal_Principal_X said:
Something rather interesting.

1 John 5:6-8 (New King James Version):
6This is He who came by water and blood--Jesus Christ; not only by water, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is truth. 7For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. 8And there are three that bear witness on earth: the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and these three agree as one.

Unfortunately, verse 7 is a well know forgery which is why scholars can no longer bring themselves to place it in the most modern translations.

Even IF it did belong there you still have not accomplished anything. It says the Father Word and Spirit are one. So what? Christians the Father and Jesus are one. And it also says the Spirit water and blood are one. How are they one? John tells you. They are one united testimony. It would have nothing to do with three persons being one God but three entities having a unified testimony just as the Spirit water and blood.

But as it is, this verse was inserted into the Bible likely by an overzealous scholar. It was never mentioned even once by Augustine even though he wrote a HUGE work on the Trinity completed about 425 A.D. The first place we ever find a verse resembling verse 7 is about 380 A.D. in Latin Spain by a Manichean apostate priest named Priscillian who was executed for sorcery. This error was perpetuated in the western Latin speaking church, especially in Spain and North Africa, from about this time.

There are NO early Greek manuscripts before the 16th century with this verse in the original script. Everyone that does have it before the 16th century is a gloss (a marginal insertion). There are about 8 of these pre-16th century glosses dating from about the 11th century to the 16th. Now do you really thing the Eastern half of the Greek speaking Christian church, from the earliest times until recent times, would have let this verse slip out of their Bibles unnoticed? Think about that carefully.

Now don't you find it just a wee bit strange that if a three person God is the God of the Bible that you have such a hard time finding him mentioned anywhere in the Bible?

Here is how I see the trinity of God, let me make an analogy.

God has three distinct but unified centers of conscioussness.

A person's brain has several different areas that perform various functions and tasks and have peticular purpose. Conscioussness is existent throughtout the entirity of the brain.

However, all the various parts of the brain work together, and form one being.

So, I see the The trinity of God as a brain that has distinct parts, but is combined into one being.

Hope that was clear, just my perspective. :fadein:

Darck Marck said:
Here is how I see the trinity of God, let me make an analogy.

A person's brain has several different areas that perform various functions and tasks and have peticular purpose. Conscioussness is existent throughtout the entirity of the brain.

So, I see the The trinity of God as a brain that has distinct parts, but is combined into one being.

Well that is interesting but it does not do much to demonstrate that the Bible ever even mentions a three person God. I am still waiting for one single verse where this three person God is mentioned. Else I must conclude that someone just made this God up because they did not otherwise know what to do with a handful of verses in the Bible.

Adams son said:
[quote="Darck Marck":85fad]Here is how I see the trinity of God, let me make an analogy.

Well that is interesting but it does not do much to demonstrate that the Bible ever even mentions a three person God. I am still waiting for one single verse where this three person God is mentioned. Else I must conclude that someone just made this God up because they did not otherwise know what to do with a handful of verses in the Bible.[/quote:85fad]

I don't think the word "trinity" is mentioned in the Bible. But, I don't think the words "Omnipotent God", "Omniscient God", etc are mentioned either.
But you'd kinda get that impression.

Marck

Darck Marck said:
[quote="Adams son":c2a99][quote="Darck Marck":c2a99]Here is how I see the trinity of God, let me make an analogy.

Well that is interesting but it does not do much to demonstrate that the Bible ever even mentions a three person God. I am still waiting for one single verse where this three person God is mentioned. Else I must conclude that someone just made this God up because they did not otherwise know what to do with a handful of verses in the Bible.[/quote:c2a99]

I don't think the word "trinity" is mentioned in the Bible. But, I don't think the words "Omnipotent God", "Omniscient God", etc are mentioned either.
But you'd kinda get that impression.

Marck[/quote:c2a99]

Wasn't looking for the word "Trinity." Where can you find this three person God mentioned anywhere in the Bible?

The term "three person God" isn't mentioned anywhere in the Bible to my knowledge either. I'm not sure what exactly you are searching for, or if you just like to argue.

• 2 Corinthians 13:14. The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.[/*:m:1d8dd]

Darck Marck,

It's definitely the latter.

Adams son,

If you take the totality of Scripture that speaks directly of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, it is unmistakeably clear that there is a threeness in the oneness of God.

Darck Marck said:
The term "three person God" isn't mentioned anywhere in the Bible to my knowledge either. I'm not sure what exactly you are searching for, or if you just like to argue.

I am not looking for the term "three person God" to be explicitly stated in Scripture. I just want ONE Scripture where this three person God is even mentioned without asking me to imagine something into the text which is not there. Where is this Three person God mentioned in the Bible? I can't seem to find a single mention of this God.

God is mentioned thousands of times in the Bible. Show me ONE single verse that identifies God as a three person being.

Free said:
Darck Marck,

It's definitely the latter.

Adams son,

If you take the totality of Scripture that speaks directly of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, it is unmistakeably clear that there is a threeness in the oneness of God.

Yeah if you use your imagination.

One would think that is in a very large book that is specifically about a three person God, one might find at least one mention of this three person God somewhere in it. Dontcha think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back