Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Bible Study Tips on how to memorize bible verses?

I need some tips on memorizing bible verses. Beside John 3:16, I could never seem to memorize any verses. Yes, I knew them roughly but I forgot the verses they came from. And when trying to encourage someone with bible verses, can have a hard time locating the verses I want to encourage the Christians with.

So, share with me your tips. How do you manage to memorize bible verses? What tools do you use? Are the tools useful? Do you recite them until you can memorize them, or do you play bible verse games? What do you do? I tried to recite, I tried to play games, but they don't work. I can't memorize the scriptures. Maybe my memory is just bad... yet I can memorize John 3:16.

Unless one has a photographic memory I don't think anyone could memorize all the scriptures that are contained in the Bible. John 3:16 is the most memorable as we see this verse all over the place and have repeated it to memory. I'm not very good at retaining much, but when I need a certain scripture the Holy Spirit will bring it back to my memory, but most of the time I have to consistently look up the scriptures I need for the moment I need them.

We learn by repetiton.

Pick a verse and read it outloud while writing it down several dozen times a day for a week.

Each day find a quiet secluded spot and use an index card with that verse and use it as a reference to memorize while repeating it outloud.

I used to do this while walking. For me, moving and talking worked really well. Romans 8:29 was my first verse.

My best prayer comes form verbally speaking while driving. I seem to concentrate so much better while driving.

In my mid 50's now so it can be a challenge to remember.

Grace and peace to you.

I need some tips on memorizing bible verses
There is only one way to memorise anything and that is to train ones mind to remember.
One does this by repetition.
Try the navigator memory aides:-
https://www.navigators.org/resource/topical-memory-system/

Then work at memorises the first 5 verses, as already suggested write each verse out in full.
The verse, the book, chapter and verse.

Cover the verses and try to recite them, check, read out loud the verse, cover and recite.
Spend an evening doing this and you will learn those 5 verses.
Carry a card wallet with those 5 verse cards and at odd quiet moments recite the verse, check, read through and recite again.

It takes real hard work to kick start ones memory, but it can be done.
At church challenge the Sunday school to recite last week's memory verse, which you have learnt, offer a sweet as a prize.

Back