Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

To the Jew first, then the Gentile... a personal experience

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I was born in the midwest, and had a mother who hid her Jewish roots from us kids because of the persecution in Europe where her great grandparents came from (her last name was a form of Jacob, and I never put two and two together). So I always had a calling from God in my life, from the womb I believe, as like David did in Psalm 71:6. I was raised in a Baptist style gentile believing church. I don't remember a time where I didn't have a tremendous attraction to the idea of God, of course until I fell away from my call like the Jews did when they broke the old covenant with God. My zeal for God drove me to find God after my sins took hold of me, but I found insanity and impossibility instead. Eventually Jesus through His Spirit reached out to me. It was only years later I found out my mom had strong Jewish roots.

So with that all being said, I have a question maybe some smarter people than me can answer. I see one difference between the Jew and Gentile today. It's the nature of the calling. Jews are called at birth, they fall away, and Jesus saves the ones who have faith by His grace ultimately. Gentiles are called later in life according to election of grace, if they respond in faith they will also be saved. To the Jew first, then the Gentile. This is the only difference I see. Neither is a favorite, or loved more, or saved more, since in Christ our new identity is neither Jew nor Gentile, male nor female, etc.. Both are born in sin, both must be born again. But the origin of the call differs in time for the Jew (at birth) and for the Gentile (at the age of accountability).

The question: Does this sound right? The answer to this would help me put some pieces of the puzzle of my past into place.

But the origin of the call differs in time for the Jew (at birth) and for the Gentile (at the age of accountability).

Please share the scriptures where this idea comes from?

Most of the time we see “calling”, it refers to being called for purpose, not called for salvation.

JLB

I was born in the midwest, and had a mother who hid her Jewish roots from us kids because of the persecution in Europe where her great grandparents came from (her last name was a form of Jacob, and I never put two and two together). So I always had a calling from God in my life, from the womb I believe, as like David did in Psalm 71:6. I was raised in a Baptist style gentile believing church. I don't remember a time where I didn't have a tremendous attraction to the idea of God, of course until I fell away from my call like the Jews did when they broke the old covenant with God. My zeal for God drove me to find God after my sins took hold of me, but I found insanity and impossibility instead. Eventually Jesus through His Spirit reached out to me. It was only years later I found out my mom had strong Jewish roots.

So with that all being said, I have a question maybe some smarter people than me can answer. I see one difference between the Jew and Gentile today. It's the nature of the calling. Jews are called at birth, they fall away, and Jesus saves the ones who have faith by His grace ultimately. Gentiles are called later in life according to election of grace, if they respond in faith they will also be saved. To the Jew first, then the Gentile. This is the only difference I see. Neither is a favorite, or loved more, or saved more, since in Christ our new identity is neither Jew nor Gentile, male nor female, etc.. Both are born in sin, both must be born again. But the origin of the call differs in time for the Jew (at birth) and for the Gentile (at the age of accountability).

The question: Does this sound right? The answer to this would help me put some pieces of the puzzle of my past into place.
1. God chose Abraham to become a great covenant nation because he would teach his children to follow God
2. God said throughout scripture right from the beginning anyone could join this covenant people/nation
3. God said all through scripture right from the beginning that disrespecting God and His covenant aka no faith aka no obedience/lawlessness would result in being cut off from the covenant and the people
4. so God always intended there to be one covenant people all could join through faith - and any could be cut off for lack of faith aka disrespecting God and His covenant - and no matter where you look in scripture you will find this message being clearly declared

here is a vision that talks about what happens when everyone comes to this one covenant people state - start at minute 11:30 for just the vision this rabbi had - it goes for about 2 minutes:

This is interesting, but I question where you get the idea that Jews are called at birth and Gentiles are called later in life? I was born a Jew, Bar Mitzvah at 13, and born again at 34.

This is interesting, but I question where you get the idea that Jews are called at birth and Gentiles are called later in life? I was born a Jew, Bar Mitzvah at 13, and born again at 34.

The big questions to me are these:

1. Are Jews called to be taught repentance from sin from birth on, or from Bar Mitzvah on?
2. Are Gentiles called to be taught repentance from sin from birth on, or at an age of accountability?
3. And how does the election of grace fit into all this?

The big questions to me are these:

1. Are Jews called to be taught repentance from sin from birth on, or from Bar Mitzvah on?
2. Are Gentiles called to be taught repentance from sin from birth on, or at an age of accountability?
3. And how does the election of grace fit into all this?
Jews are taught that one becomes an "adult", meaning that they are capable of thinking as an adult rather than a child, at age 13. The Bar Mitzvah (or Bat Mitzvah) is the ceremony that makes one a full participant in Judaism. I can't answer the question for Gentiles,

Back