Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Transfer from one Eastern Rite (Chaldean) to another Eastern Rite (Maronite)

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

cfcfcf

I am baptised Maronite Catholic, and my partner is Chaldean Catholic.

My partner has never been a part of his Chaldean Church, never attended his church and has no involvement in his community. This has been the case since his father died when he was 3 years old in Iraq. Since that time, he fled Iraq with his mother and siblings as refugees and came to Melbourne, Australia. Despite there being Chaldean Churches in Melbourne, his mother would him and his siblings to local (Roman Catholic) churches to pray. Unfortunately, my partner's mother also passed away when he was 15 years old. From that time, he did not attend church at all and started losing his faith.

On the other hand, I am baptised Maronite Catholic and have grown up attended my local Maronite church. Our Maronite priest is very close with my family and we have a strong relationship and bond with our church.

Since my partner and I started dating, he has become heavily involved in the Maronite church and has redeveloped his faith. He considers our Maronite priest to be a strong figure in his life and often reaches out to him for guidance and support.

We are getting married and we both wish to be married in the Maronite church by our Maronite priest. Given my partner was baptised as Chaldean, he is required to obtain 'Permission' from the Chaldean church to marry 'outside' of the Chaldean parish. The Chaldean church is refusing to provide this permission.

According to Msgr. Paul MINGANA from St. Thomas Chaldean Cathedral NSW, from July 2019 Archbishop Amel Nona promulgated a law which stated that no permission will be given to any Chaldean male from that date onwards, to get married in different rite, other than Chaldean Rite.

How is this possible? Is there a way around this? My partner is willing to be baptised as a Maronite if he needs to, but we have been advised that it is not possible to be baptised as a Catholic if you are already a Catholic. He has no involvement or connection with the Chaldean church.

Can he change from the Chaldean rite to Maronite? Can he leave the Chaldean church? What are his options?

Our wedding is only nine weeks away and this is becoming very urgent and causing us both a great deal of anxiety and stress.

Thank you and God bless.

I am not familiar with either of these two rites within the Catholic denominations. It appears, from the research that I have done, that both of your churches are in full communion with the Roman Catholic church so why you are being denied is unknown to me.

We do have some practicing Catholic members here on CFnet and maybe they can offer assistance but my guess would be that your own church leadership might be your best source for information.

Sorry that I am not in a better position to help you.

Thank you for your assistance. Unfortunately my parish is also at a loss as to what they can do. My parish priest has said that in his 40 years of priest hood, he has never had the permission to marry be denied by another church. Hopefully someone on this forum can provide me with some guidance on this issue.

Back