Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Trusting the Lord and giving him praise

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Shema

CF Ambassador
png_20220208_182609_0000.png
An Emoji Devotions for Tue, Feb 8, 2022

Topic: Trusting the Lord and giving him praise

By H.U. Wenger

Recently I had to prepare a message for Sunday morning. I felt kind of empty and was not really aflame for any topic. In such situations I normally turn to the pastor’s guide that gives suggestions for every Sunday. The Bible verse that was given as theme for the very Sunday reads: “Come and see what God has done, his awesome deeds for mankind!” (Psalm 66:5) For the preaching the text out of Matthew 14:22-33 was suggested and for the Bible reading they proposed Mark 4:35-41. As a start I read the Bible portions and suddenly a multitude of ideas flooded my brain. The Matthew text depicts the events straight after the feeding of the five thousand people. From the report John gives us about the happening, we know that the feeding caused people to make Jesus the King against his will. He therefore forced his disciples to take a boat and sail to the opposite shore. He then dismissed the crowd and went into the hills for prayer. Meanwhile the disciples experienced adverse weather conditions on the see. In the early morning hours they were still in the middle of the sea of Galilee. Already afraid for their lives and exhausted, their horror culminated, when they saw a human shape walking on the unsteady water. Jesus immediately told them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” Peter, who recuperated‘’ first from the shock, responded: “Lord, if it’s you, tell me to come to you on the water.” Jesus called him and Peter experienced totally against his experience and knowledge that he could walk on the water. The wind was, however, strong and the water stormy and Peter looked away from Jesus and began immediately to sink into the waves, crying out for the Lord’s help. Jesus took him by the hand and helped him out, telling him: “You of little faith, why did you doubt?“

In the report from Mark, Jesus had been preaching all day from a boat close to the shore and was craving for a break. He therefore asked his disciples to bring him across the Sea of Galilee. They took him into their boat and set out. Exhausted, as he was, Jesus fell immediately in a deep sleep, while the disciples came into a furious squall. The waves broke over the boat so that it was nearly swamped. It seems that they got angry at him and finally they woke him reproachfully up: “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?” He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, ‘Quiet! Be still!’ Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, ‘Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?’ (Mark 4:38b- 40)

The two events show us that the power of Jesus comes out of his trustful relationship with the Father. Although he will be the long promised King of the world, he does not want it to be before he has redeemed and saved his creation, you and me. He escapes to be with the father, to confess and proclaim his word and to show the people the character of the father. He does not want to exert power over the people he has created – he just wants to invite them into a close relationship with him. He is the living word of God and through him the whole creation is made, inclusive you and me. In full concordance with the father even the laws of physics are void. The Almighty God is above them and they have to listen to his command. In concordance with the Godhead even the stars have to listen and to bow to his command (Joshua 10:12)

In the presence of our storms of anxiety, insecurity and distractions we easily forget that there is no power above the power of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Jesus does not want to be King prematurely. First he wants to open up the way back to the Father for all of us. That is why he dies on the cross to pay for our sins and iniquities and to redeem us with the Father. He loves you like nobody has ever loved you and he is for you. You can trust him fully. Nobody in heaven and on earth has more power to save you than him. Call on him in all of your situations. He promises: “Whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me.” (John 6:37b-38)

Call on him not only in times of troubles, but as well in your good times. Try to word out your personal Psalm according to the Psalm 66. Praise him for all the protection he has given you and praise him for all the challenges you have faced. His love is present in your life, look for it.

Prayer: Dear Lord Jesus, I worship you for who you are and for your love for me. Help me not to doubt, when things get rough. I know that nothing can separate me from your love. Help me to cling to you in my good and my bad times. To you belongs the glory, and all power in heaven and earth and it fills me with immeasurable joy to be your child. Amen.

Back