Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

UK Royalty

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

WIP

Staff member
With the passing of the Queen, it got me curious. For you members that hail from the UK, what does the Royal family actually do? Is the King the supreme ruler of the kingdom? And then, what does the prime minister do? I tried net searching the answers but didn't seem to find a definitive answer.

With the passing of the Queen, it got me curious. For you members that hail from the UK, what does the Royal family actually do? Is the King the supreme ruler of the kingdom? And then, what does the prime minister do? I tried net searching the answers but didn't seem to find a definitive answer.
Start with the magna Carta

The monarch is the legal ruler of the UK, but has no political power.
The King invites who ever has a majority in parlament to form a government.
He signs every bill that has been passed by parlament to make it a law.
The role is ceremonial, but with legal funtions.

The Prime minister is the real governor of the country.
He forms a committe, called the cabinet, whose members head up different parts of the civil service, they together make policy and impliment it.
Parlament debates laws etc and votes on accepting/rejecting them.

The Monarch’s role is part symbolic, part ceremonial and part practical.

He/She is the Head of State for the UK and thus is a sign on unity of the four nations. (He/She is also the Head of State for several ex-colonial countries though that could change.)

He/She formally receives foreign Heads of State, sometimes with a state banquet.

He she is also the head of the Commonwealth and will make good will visits to Commonwealth countries and Dominions outside the UK, and other foreign countries

The monarch also accepts the resignation of a Prime Minister (PM) and invites someone else to run the government. They act in His/Her name. So it is His/Her Majesties Government. All laws enacted by Parliament are given the “Royal Assent”. They only become law when the monarch signs them.

I’ve also read that He/She also receives a copy of new bills before they are released to Parliament so He/She has a chance to discuss them with the PM if they want to.

He/She also has a regular meeting with the PM. Queen Elizabeth had had many PMs oner her 70 year reign and has thus accumulated much wisdom which she could share with a PM.

He/She also closes a session of Parliament and opens a new one. He/She gives a speech outlining what the government will do in the next session of Parliament. The PM actually writes the speech but He/She delivers it to the assembled Parliament. There is much ceremony involved.

The Monarch, and other active Royals also are patrons of various charities and being present at, or opening, various events.

Back