Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Understanding Catholicism - Liturgical Colours

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Mungo

Liturgical Colours
Following on from my post about Liturgy:

Different Colours are used for vestments, altar fronts and tabernacle covers on different occasions during the year

White symbolises innocence, purity, triumph and is used for the joyful and glorious feasts of the Lord (such as Christmas and Easter), feasts of Mary, angels and the feasts of Saints that were not martyred.

Red is for blood and therefore feasts of our Lord’s passion. Also used for Pentecost, Masses of the Holy Spirit and feasts of martyrs.

Purple symbolises sadness and grief, and therefore penance and is therefore used during the penitential seasons of Advent and Lent.

Green symbolises life and is used for most other times – called “ordinary” time

There are two other colours that can be used but are optional. Sometimes Blue is used on feasts of Mary, and Rose (pink) on the “rejoicing” Sundays in Advent and Lent.

The above is for Mass. During the sacrament of Reconciliation (confession) a priest will wear a purple stole. Black used to be used for funerals but now purple is used.

Liturgical Colours
Following on from my post about Liturgy:

Different Colours are used for vestments, altar fronts and tabernacle covers on different occasions during the year

White symbolises innocence, purity, triumph and is used for the joyful and glorious feasts of the Lord (such as Christmas and Easter), feasts of Mary, angels and the feasts of Saints that were not martyred.

Red is for blood and therefore feasts of our Lord’s passion. Also used for Pentecost, Masses of the Holy Spirit and feasts of martyrs.

Purple symbolises sadness and grief, and therefore penance and is therefore used during the penitential seasons of Advent and Lent.

Green symbolises life and is used for most other times – called “ordinary” time

There are two other colours that can be used but are optional. Sometimes Blue is used on feasts of Mary, and Rose (pink) on the “rejoicing” Sundays in Advent and Lent.

The above is for Mass. During the sacrament of Reconciliation (confession) a priest will wear a purple stole. Black used to be used for funerals but now purple is used.
Hi Mungo
Nice to have you back.
I was going to post the above....you beat me to it.
Except for the last pp, didn't know this.

Back