Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Used Coffee Grounds

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

WIP

Staff member
I find that I prefer coffee made without using paper filters. It seems the paper filters out more than just grounds but also flavor. So I have been using a screen type filter. I also find that I like using a French press with my fresh ground coffee.

This creates a small challenge - what to do with the spent grounds.

For a while I have been just rinsing the screens and sending the grounds down our sink drain. We live on a farm and have our own septic system. I have been reading that it is not recommended to dispose of coffee grounds down the drain because doing so can result in lowering the pH of the septic system which could kill the needed bacteria.

Today, I searched for the question, "What to do with used coffee grounds" and one common solution is to sprinkle them as fertilizer for the garden or potted plants. But, if adding coffee grounds to the septic system could potentially lower pH, wouldn't it do the same for garden soil? Some plants may like that to a point but others may not.

I also found quite a few articles stating that the acid in coffee is water soluble and ends up in the coffee. The used grounds are pretty much neutral between 6.0-6.5. Other articles I read say they can continue brewing in the septic system which can extract more acid.

:whirl

Anybody have any knowledge of this chemistry?

Back