Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Views on Taxation

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

WIP

Staff member
I dunno 🤷‍♂️

I find rich USA Christians a bit ridiculous at times. Go on mission trips all kinds of outreach to the poor in other countries…

Here at home? Vote Republican, hatred of so called welfare bums…

Ugh 😑
Likewise, when the poor demand that the government impose higher taxes on anyone they deem rich in order to give it to them is also greed for we are commanded not to covet.

In today's economy there is almost no excuse for not being employed. Businesses are crying for help in all sectors from entry level to highly educated and skilled.

1 in 6 children in the USA face hunger and food insecurity. Homelessness is a huge problem. Suicides overdoses and other deaths of despair are rampant largely because of stagnant wages and rising costs of living. I’m wondering…

How can believers bring the Good News to those most in need? Or…

I guess continuing to shame label and punish the poor is cool too.

Likewise, when the poor demand that the government impose higher taxes on anyone they deem rich in order to give it to them is also greed for we are commanded not to covet.

In today's economy there is almost no excuse for not being employed. Businesses are crying for help in all sectors from entry level to highly educated and skilled.
I look at it not from a point of forcing the rich to pay for the poor. I look at it more as the government investing in the population. I would rather we as a nation fo us on infrastructure, medecine, and education more.

Anyone they deem rich? Ok ✅

There are now multi multi multi billionaires in the USA…

And a shredded safety net pockets of deep poverty homelessness underfunded schools and medical services…

Although somehow there’s always enough money for prisons.

1 in 6 children in the USA face hunger and food insecurity. Homelessness is a huge problem. Suicides overdoses and other deaths of despair are rampant largely because of stagnant wages and rising costs of living. I’m wondering…

How can believers bring the Good News to those most in need? Or…

I guess continuing to shame label and punish the poor is cool too.
Jesus talked a lot to the poor, less to the rich. Poor and rich in the world’s eyes have to do with material matters, having or lacking. For the Kingdom of God poor and rich are quite different. Jesus taught to set your eyes on His kingdom and doing His righteousness and material needs will be supplied.

I look at it not from a point of forcing the rich to pay for the poor. I look at it more as the government investing in the population. I would rather we as a nation fo us on infrastructure, medecine, and education more.
I can agree with that.

Greed is a big problem.
Yes, and it isn't delegated just to the rich. I've said it before and I'll say it again. When you really get down to where the rubber meets the road, rich is defined as anyone that has more than [fill in your name] do. Its the same old parable of the workers in the vineyard. See Matthew 20:1-16. We get jealous when we learn that someone else is doing better than we are and we covet what they have. Scripture tells us to be content with what we have and to work for what we want.

11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.
12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.
13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Philippians 4:11-13 NKJV

5 Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
Hebrews 13:5 ESV

31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’
32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.
33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
Matthew 6:31-33 ESV

6 Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is walking in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us.
7 For you yourselves know how you ought to imitate us, because we were not idle when we were with you,
8 nor did we eat anyone's bread without paying for it, but with toil and labor we worked night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you.
9 It was not because we do not have that right, but to give you in ourselves an example to imitate.
10 For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.
11 For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies.
12 Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living.

2 Thessalonians 3:6-12 ESV

Yes, and it isn't delegated just to the rich. I've said it before and I'll say it again. When you really get down to where the rubber meets the road, rich is defined as anyone that has more than [fill in your name] do. Its the same old parable of the workers in the vineyard. See Matthew 20:1-16. We get jealous when we learn that someone else is doing better than we are and we covet what they have. Scripture tells us to be content with what we have and to work for what we want.

11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.
12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.
13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Philippians 4:11-13 NKJV

5 Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
Hebrews 13:5 ESV

31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’
32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.
33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
Matthew 6:31-33 ESV

6 Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is walking in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us.
7 For you yourselves know how you ought to imitate us, because we were not idle when we were with you,
8 nor did we eat anyone's bread without paying for it, but with toil and labor we worked night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you.
9 It was not because we do not have that right, but to give you in ourselves an example to imitate.
10 For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.
11 For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies.
12 Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living.

2 Thessalonians 3:6-12 ESV
Well there actually are terms “middle class” and “upper middle” and “upper class” and they are not relative to the one using those words. They are based on income as compared to the general population. The middle aren’t called “rich” because they have more than others otherwise those words would mean nothing.

There are people ignorant of those words, I suppose, who only use themselves as the measure. But ignorance doesn’t change the meaning.

No…

Economists and sociologists do extensive studies on social class. My only problem is not even with the rich but rather the extremely wealthy. Back in the 50s to 70s or so the very wealthy were heavily taxed past a certain point. That was part of the inspiration for the Beatles song the tax man. And…

That sort of taxation helped provide more for the masses…roads and schools and healthcare…

And also kept inequality from going crazy insane. Out of control inequality has detrimental effects on democracy and society as a whole.

No…

Economists and sociologists do extensive studies on social class. My only problem is not even with the rich but rather the extremely wealthy. Back in the 50s to 70s or so the very wealthy were heavily taxed past a certain point. That was part of the inspiration for the Beatles song the tax man. And…

That sort of taxation helped provide more for the masses…roads and schools and healthcare…

And also kept inequality from going crazy insane. Out of control inequality has detrimental effects on democracy and society as a whole.
PersonLly, I feel this is a very simplistic way to view the situation. Nit kno king ya, just used to hearing this subject put this way.

Taxation in and ofnitself isn't a good plan. There needs to be a plan for what taxes are used for. Many wealthy people built libraries, hospitals, etc. Because they could recieve a tax write off. Hey, if it works, it works.

I think it's better to examine how money moves and how it is impacted on our infrastructure. Tax that way and give incentives to do charitable work.

Because we were derailing another thread, it was decided to make a new thread where we can discuss our various understandings or viewpoints about taxes. I have moved the relevant posts here.

I'm not finding an option to move posts anymore. Maybe that was a function I had as an administrator and I don't have it as a moderator. I will have to do more research. Sorry about that.

Aside from putting about 20% of farmers out of business in a few years, does anyone know how taxing a cows fart saves the planet?.

Does the government tax the farmer and then give that money to Mother Nature who in exchange for the cash lowers the worlds emmisons?.

I remember saying taxed for farting and breathing, but taxing humans for breathing to suck more cash and rob people more hasnt been talked about. Humans breathe in oxygen and breath out carbon dioxide. Don't tell the climate tax lovers that. They be wanting to claim on that one.

This world has gone insane.

I cant even be a natural human being without being labeled a problem because I didn't want some companies product inserted inside my body.

And a cow can't just be a natural cow it has to pay tax because it burps and farts.

Back