Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

watching Saturday Night Live (SNL)

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Alright folks!!

In keeping with the spirit of things, that's republican political skits that would make for fine SNL tv, we now have found the answer to how the Republican leadership thinks we can make the government stop sending money to Ukraine:

Hold on to your belly straps 'cause this one's a belly buster.

And of course, this will mean absolutely nothing to the flow of money to the Ukraine even if the GOP breaks the all time American record of 33 days. But yes, what a fine way to rule the country. Maybe we should just send all of them home, both democrat/republican and independent, since they aren't allowed to do any work anyway.

God bless,
Ted

Hi hawkman
"They" , Politicos at their finest . California has these problems too .
Yes, I was sad to read that CA also is not big on nuclear. Of course, truth be told, a very large number of Americans fear nuclear energy because the media scared us all to death 70 years ago about it.

In my research, I find that of all means of energy production, nuclear is the safest when rated by number of deaths caused within each industry type. It has a much smaller footprint than any windfarm that could replace it or solar array for that matter. The U.S. has created its own problems with disposal by making it illegal to refuel spent rods. France has been doing it for decades and hasn't had a single accident or even near miss or threat. So yes, in my book, nuclear should be a viable alternative with any energy production plan. And yes it is green.

But Europa is Latin for the word Europe
Oh, sorry jasonc, I didn't get the memo that we had changed to Latin. However, all that I wrote about the issue can be verified if anyone cares to.

God bless,
Ted

I have called Europe,Europa since my military career started .

I'm not anti nuke ,the climate change movement as a group is despite contrary evidence .

It doesn't need to to take 20 years to build a nuke plant ,months if that .red tape blocks that .

These also need fossil back up .

All power plants must be able at moments notice provide power should ft.pierce nuke plant go offline .which did occur

Hi jasonc
I'm not anti nuke ,the climate change movement as a group is despite contrary evidence .
I'm not sure it can be wholly declared that the 'climate change movement as a group' is against using nuclear power. I believe it's really a much, much smaller group that is just afraid that they're going to suffer some physical damage if nuclear power plants are built. But, as I see the issue, they're wrong. Nuclear energy is very, very safe. But it does have that basic understanding, since we used it to destroy two of Japan's largest cities, that it can, if there were an accident, wipe out whole areas of a state, or several states.

However, it's also true that a coal fire can burn for years underground. Even water, used improperly can flood and kill people. Consider the Johnstown Flood of 1889.

Most of our hydroelectric production requires some kind damn that generally backs up a pond of water that is held in by earthen berms to keep the water in. If those dams or berms are breached, literally hundreds and thousands of lives can be at risk.

Coal is not only dirty, even when using the 'clean' coal. You know the stuff that they wash with soap and water. LOL! The production of coal is where most of the deaths occur in the coal fired power units.

The official toll of the Chernobyl accident is 31. The Three Mile Island breach was a pretty serious event, and yet not a single life was lost. So, despite all the fear and clamoring, nuclear power has been extremely safe, as regards loss of life. The U.S. engineered and designed structures are built with a massive amount of safety and double protection controls. Pretty much anyone with knowledge of the subject will tell you that the Russian built Chernobyl was built pretty much how all Russian products were being made in that day...Cheap-Crap. But yes, there is a fairly good sized group that is just afraid of it.

It doesn't need to to take 20 years to build a nuke plant ,months if that .red tape blocks that .

Absolutely! But just like the many pipelines that crisscross our nation, nuclear power is just feared and that creates most of the red tape. I agree, that without all the back and forth between detractors and contractors, we could likely build really nice nuclear power plants all over the nation within a mere matter of 3-4 years.

God bless,
Ted

The loudest ones do otherwise the fact is we wouldn't have a hard time buildibg them.

In fact I talk to nuke plant operators locally .most are navy vets and say working at these is like working with crude plants as the navy swaps the cores out of their subs and ships every five years and they do it in days.

We already have the ability to remove an entire core like that with power plants .

The media on ignorance makes it sound like you gonna die from radioactive test materials from cooling canals .

Turkey point ,fpl was fined for a thing like that they use that tracer to see if it has a core leak .it didn't .we love nasa and NASA has been using plutonium in probes since casinni.

Now if the biggest voices aren't not the climate change foundations ,then who resists it?

I posted a leak that said Germany and Europe should simply put more solar and wind and not nuclear .

France is 100 percent nuke but those are very small ,st Lucie one or two is able to power much of France .

2.25 gwh for each unit ,it has two .France units are .50 gwh .

Chernobyl,well the soviets need I say more . With Japan that was stupid and unprotected wood frame building for back up generators on the shore line versus running the power higher up in elevation.

Yes, I was sad to read that CA also is not big on nuclear. Of course, truth be told, a very large number of Americans fear nuclear energy because the media scared us all to death 70 years ago about it.
You mentioned Three Mile Island and that incident was not good advertising for nuclear power . Even the rock&rollers took a swipe at nuclear power back then . http://waddywachtelinfo.com/NoNukes.html
“No Nukes” Concerts
September 19-23, 1979
Madison Square Garden, New York

Musicians United for Safe Energy, or MUSE, was an activist group founded in 1979 by Jackson Browne, Graham Nash, Bonnie Raitt, and John Hall. The group advocated against the use of nuclear energy, forming shortly after the Three Mile Island nuclear accident in March 1979. MUSE organized a series of five No Nukes concerts held at Madison Square Garden in New York in September 1979. On September 23, 1979, almost 200000 people attended a large rally staged by MUSE on the then-empty north end of the Battery Park City landfill in New York.
Coal is not only dirty, even when using the 'clean' coal. You know the stuff that they wash with soap and water. LOL! The production of coal is where most of the deaths occur in the coal fired power units.
Coal is a good power source if you need a power increase in a big hurry like a deep freeze or heatwave . Back-up like jasonc said , nuclear is great for steady demand power needs . Fly ash is one of coals problems, very toxic stuff .
Absolutely! But just like the many pipelines that crisscross our nation, nuclear power is just feared and that creates most of the red tape. I agree, that without all the back and forth between detractors and contractors, we could likely build really nice nuclear power plants all over the nation within a mere matter of 3-4 years.
I imagine part of the red tape is this , " Yes ! Yes ! we need more power for our country ! But don't build that nasty plant anywhere near where I live ! ":sad

Red tape seems to be problem here along with funds .
Why Won’t the US Reprocess Spent Nuclear Fuel?

Hi hawkman
You mentioned Three Mile Island and that incident was not good advertising for nuclear power . Even the rock&rollers took a swipe at nuclear power back then
Absolutely!! But people are scared of nuclear because of all the fear even then that they'd have to evacuate dozens of hundreds of square miles and the area would be unlivable for centuries. We've actually got people living within 10 miles of Chernobyl now. They've just, in the last couple of years, built a kind of sarcophagus to cover the contaminated structure itself, and so, even with an accident the magnitude of Chernobyl, these fears of having land unusable for centuries and thousands of people being killed within an area of any accident, just don't stand up. And the chance of something on the scale of Chernobyl happening is practically 0.
But don't build that nasty plant anywhere near where I live ! ":sad
Right. Same problem with prisons and landfills. However, I'm just about 5 miles from Oconee Nuclear station and it has two units and you can't even see anything of the entire place, except when you pass the entry gate, you can see lots of cars and the units, but foliage and being kind of in a depression area, they really aren't seen unless you're right up on them.

Duke did a really good job with building it and the water resources needed to insure cooling got our area a couple of really, really nice lakes. Lake Keowee and Lake Jocassee are both a part of the original build of the plant.

God bless,
Ted

St Lucie one and two ,shoot I can't miss that large cooling towers for them.visible even from the alma Lee loy bridge in Vero .I have used my zoom lense at Max and magnified the images to see them.if I had a 1000m zoom I probably would have a good photo.hmm I need to play with that .

You can use cng for a direct turbine .Vero beachs unit 5 was the only self starting cng turbine that was directly tied to a turbine .it was installed to replace the ft Pierce tie in as well as the diesel plant .it could use power from other plants to fire up.

Ted might recall when fpua lost power and Vero tried restarting the much older power plant that was original coal plant that was converted to cng/diesel /oil.

Germany ended their green program and are building coal plants.
Yes due to the huge loss of natural Gas from Russia. It's a short term solution until more sustainable sources can be brought online.

The uk shit down the largest hospital thst performs sex changes .
No, a family sued a group of clinics and political organizations in the UK are creating a huge mess in the legal and medical system. I have friends and acquaintances over there that have explained that traditionalist Tories and trans exclusionary feminists have formed an alliance and are going after every legal and medical avenue for the UK trans demographic

Yes due to the huge loss of natural Gas from Russia. It's a short term solution until more sustainable sources can be brought online.

That's what happens when countries sell out to other countries and rely on them to run there country and keep everyone clothed, fed, and warm. They have the power and control.

They can just cut your power off at any time or stop giving you all your supplies at any time.

You think of what China could do if they wanted. They basically own the world's manufacturing.

I will tell you what is sickening where i live. They shut down the only oil refinery we had in the country that was also feeding a city, and are now going to import it from I think they said somewhere in Asia, I can only guess its China. And i tell you they didn't shut it down because of lack of profit. I acturally cant remember the excuse, probably like saving the planet or something, like China is a good example when it comes to emmisions so just import from them. Lol.

Asia is a big continent and there are many countries I can guess. I mean Saudi Arabia, probably not, Thailand, probably not, India, probably not, Afganistan, probably not, Iraq, probably not. Phillipines probably not. China, probably.

Milk drops that's the point .cng is needed abs since when nimby is full effect and well it it's exactly green tech and well it can happen here.
Wind and solar are two internment .

Imagine Florida not using nukes and cng and four hurricanes come in and wipe out those solar farms .

Like I said you can't just up and build a power plant then shittter it In a few years hoping a despot will die and another will not be in place .

Sadam Hussein and the Taliban we toppled them and wel look who came back and Iraq isn't exactly a free country .

Hi jasonc
St Lucie one and two ,shoot I can't miss that large cooling towers for them.visible even from the alma Lee loy bridge in Vero
Yes, well, having lived in Florida for many years, you can't hide anything taller than an outhouse in Florida. Here I'm in the foothills of the mountains and so there are thousands of little valleys and lots of very, very tall trees that can hide stuff that's fairly large. There are many homes around that are set off on wooded lots and when the trees are leafy you can't see them from the road either. Oconee Power Station Map
If you open the link I think you'll get an aerial shot of the power plant. It's hard to actually see, but the cooling towers in the center along the long building, that entire 10 acres or so is in a depression that's down by the lake. Also it's well away from most homes so no one sees it much.

God bless,
Ted

There are air cooled and water cooled towers .it would help that they didn't build this one on the barrier island

Hi jasonc
There are air cooled and water cooled towers .it would help that they didn't build this one on the barrier island
Yes, I agree. However, at the time it was built, that section of Hutchinson Island was probably little populated and considered the safest place to provide a buffer zone. I don't know, but it's a possibility. I'm sure the engineers looked at the entire area before deciding where to stick their shovel. The second consideration is the need for water. You are correct that there are air and water cooled facilities, but it's my understanding that the water cooled are more stable, should something occur.

Nuclear reactors come in many different shapes and sizes. Most are large enough to power major cities, and small reactors are being developed to complement them. Most use water to cool their cores, whilst others use gas or metals.

However, that could likely be that, at the time these current reactors were planned, it was easy to find cheap, abundant water resources.

God bless,
Ted

Back