Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What did the OT Israelites believe about hell?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
What did the OT Isrealites believe about hell and why?

David had quite a lot to say about the effects of Hell after he made this 'confession'! Psalms 73:1-16. Then the way that he came to the Truth was.. (and remember that this is INSPIRATION!) found in the next verse.

verse 17
'Until I went into the Sanctuary of God; THEN I UNDERSTOOD THEIR END.'

All of the Lord's way, are documented in His Sanctuary. Psalms 77:13

--Elijah

Last edited by a moderator:
Acts 23:8

For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both.

Like Christianity, the various sects of Judaism disagreed on theological issues.

Some believed in hell. Some believed only in the grave.

Of course it is a lie. God invented the notion of "everlasting torment"

That verse just goes to show that they have always disputed this matter.

Thanks for that. I really have to be careful when being taught by atheists :rolleyes:

An atheist told you this? I would have thought they would at least know enough to convince you it came out of Greek Hellenism. ;)

Yeah, my Western Civ. I teacher said it. It irked me and stayed with me, and when I saw Ashua's response it hit me, why am I putting weight into what an atheist has just said to me? :screwloose

why am I putting weight into what an atheist has just said to me?
LOL, I don't know why. There are some Christians and non Christians who are of the belief that if anything, the idea of an eternal hell came out of Greek Hellenistic thinking.

To say it is a Christina idea shows a bit of ignorance on the subject... and coming from a teacher no less!

TL, It's not going to take you all the way back to OT times, but it is non-canonical, Jewish literature. A couple of the pseudepigraphical books describe Sheoul or Hades. The Apocalypse of Zephaniah gives a description much the same as Luke 16 does with Dives and Lazarus. There are 2 compartments, one for the righteous and one for the un-righteous.
The Book of Enoch (Chapter 22) gives a description much closer to what we consider eternal punishment. This book describes 4 compartments- 1 for the faithful servants awaiting their reward- 1 for the moderately faithful awaiting their reward- 1 for the wicked awaiting judgement- and 1 for the wicked who do not warrant resurrection and are tormented.
I believe both books were written in the first century B.C.
God bless, Westtexas

Back