Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What does it mean to be Born-Again?

Is it okay to post my website's posts here?

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The following is from my website. Here's the post.

P.S: it is okay to post posts from my website, isn't it? Thanks! :)

John 3:7

“Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.”

That verse is when Nicodemus had come to Jesus and said “Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.”

Jesus went on to say that you MUST be born again to enter into Heaven. What does it mean to BE born again?

To be born again means to have your sins forgiven- and you can only have your sins forgiven if you believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

You see, we are all sinners. We are born with a sin nature which makes us give in the devil’s many temptations. Our earthly bodies are no good.

That is why Christ dies for us. He died on the Cross, sprinkled His perfect Blood on the Mercy Seat in Heaven and then rose again so you could have the forgiveness for your sins. As soon as you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and what He has done for you, all your sins, past, present and future, are forgiven- washed away- never to be remembered again. You have become born again.

Basically this
2 Corinthians 5:17 New King James Version (NKJV)
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

A person who has been saved is a new creation, they are born again. But this time with no sin, because it has all been wiped away by Jesus.

Basically this
2 Corinthians 5:17 New King James Version (NKJV)
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

A person who has been saved is a new creation, they are born again. But this time with no sin, because it has all been wiped away by Jesus.

With no sin. If that's what u believe, who am I to argue.

Anyway, the church I grew up in believes that being born again happens in baptism

With no sin. If that's what u believe, who am I to argue.
What I mean is that it is like we have never sinned because we have been justified by Christ. Not that we won't ever sin again.

Anyway, the church I grew up in believes that being born again happens in baptism
I don't believe in baptism for salvation. I believe that being baptized is a command but not a requirement for salvation.

What I mean is that it is like we have never sinned because we have been justified by Christ. Not that we won't ever sin again.

Ok fair enough that makes sense

I don't believe in baptism for salvation. I believe that being baptized is a command but not a requirement for salvation.

The more i've learnt about our different views on salvation the more i see that it's the same outcome. U guys get baptized, right, so its the same outcome.
And we have faith in Christ, right, so it's the same outcome also.

And we all agree that without good works we aren't saved either despite nuances in the way we view that.

Do you agree with this?
"By grace alone, in faith in Christ’s saving work and not because of any merit on our part, we are accepted by God and receive the Holy Spirit, who renews our hearts while equipping us and calling us to good works"

It's the doctrine that the Catholic and Lutheran churches come to an agreement on in 1999, endorsed by the "reformed churches"

I was born in my mother's womb. Then I was baptized and born into the fellowship of God. Then I was born a third time into the fellowship of Jesus Christ. Each time I was a little older. To me being "born again" means I get a second chance. The conversion experience changes us. We feel different. We think differently. We act differently and we are given a chancee to grow up because we failed to do that when we were you.ng. I am a "born again" Christian. I needed this to believe because I was a Doubting Thomas. God bless those who do not need so much drama. LOL

"By grace alone, in faith in Christ’s saving work and not because of any merit on our part, we are accepted by God and receive the Holy Spirit, who renews our hearts while equipping us and calling us to good works"
Yeah that's basically it I believe.

you sin and be born again at the same time?
It depends what you mean by sinning. Is it a pattern of unrepentant sin that you don't even have a sliver of remorse for? Is it the occasional slip up? Or is it backsliding heavily and falling in all sorts of habitual sin but you are still trying to actively get out of it?

It depends what you mean by sinning. Is it a pattern of unrepentant sin that you don't even have a sliver of remorse for? Is it the occasional slip up? Or is it backsliding heavily and falling in all sorts of habitual sin but you are still trying to actively get out of it?

Addiction for example can be hard for a born again believer in God and his Word Jesus Christ.

Is that what Paul was taking about when he said what he wants to do he does not do and what he wants to do he does not?.

We all struggle in the flesh, we are only human and born into sin and our parents are not perfect role models even they may love us unconditionally. Some don't but hey that's the way it is and what im saying. In the end The Father and Son show there perfect love for all. That is God.

Jesus was born of the Spirit and his Father was God himself, so he was raised in perfection.

All Mary did was pop Jesus out. He was born of a virgin. God planted his seed of perfection and gave me a life of choice and learning and responsiblity.

Last edited:
The following is from my website. Here's the post.

P.S: it is okay to post posts from my website, isn't it? Thanks! :)

John 3:7

“Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.”

That verse is when Nicodemus had come to Jesus and said “Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.”

Jesus went on to say that you MUST be born again to enter into Heaven. What does it mean to BE born again?

To be born again means to have your sins forgiven- and you can only have your sins forgiven if you believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

You see, we are all sinners. We are born with a sin nature which makes us give in the devil’s many temptations. Our earthly bodies are no good.

That is why Christ dies for us. He died on the Cross, sprinkled His perfect Blood on the Mercy Seat in Heaven and then rose again so you could have the forgiveness for your sins. As soon as you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and what He has done for you, all your sins, past, present and future, are forgiven- washed away- never to be remembered again. You have become born again.
It is a bad translation to say "born again". If you look at the Strong's use of the word, you can see its primary meaning is to say "born from above" or "from the top", (uppermost). You can see some of the examples of the same word used in other scriptures too, and it gives more weight to that fact.

There is research that explains that the Greek word does have potential to carry the double-meaning, but I am inclined to view that as John's theological efforts:

When Nicodemus asks in verse 4 "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born, can he?" (NASB), it shows us that he hasn't heard Jesus mention a second birth, because Nicodemus himself is introducing that idea of his own dexterity.

Jesus holds the course, without speaking an idea of a rebirth, explaining that there is a birth of the flesh and a birth of the spirit. It is the birth of the spirit that Jesus is teaching to Nicodemus: "what is born of flesh is flesh, but what is born of spirit is spirit" (John 3:6).

This whole conversation comes about because Nicodemus approaches Jesus to enquire of Him, saying "we know that you are a teacher from God because nobody could do the signs you are doing unless God was with him". Jesus took hold of the opportunity to teach Nicodemus, by saying (paraphrase) "You are looking at the signs because you don't see the kingdom of God. Truly, I tell you, nobody can see the kingdom of God unless they are born from above".

The main thrust of the passage, is to reinforce the doctrine of the spiritual reality, as found in 1 Corinthians 2:14-15 and Luke 17:20-21.

Furthermore, in John 15 we read Jesus speaking to His disciples, warning them to not slip back to their old ways. He says "remain in me and you will produce much fruit". One very interesting thing in this, is where He has said "you are clean because of the word I have spoken to you". So, it is His word that cleanses us, because "my words are spirit and life". The words of the spirit are sharp, discerning the very intentions of the heart. By following the words that give life, it brings our mind out of the darkness (the blindness caused by sin), and puts us in the right spirit to continue growing in His likeness (Romans 11:16).

The expression "you have been made clean" is directly related to the expression "unclean spirit" found in Matthew 12:43. The words Jesus was speaking to them, was bringing their mind and heart out of the corrupted way of thinking that they had been taught by the world, and into the pure way of thinking that is characteristic of Christ, the true vine. Only that spirit can produce fruit that glorifies God.

One final thing I have to say about this, is where you have said we are born with a sin nature, it isn't right. We are born with a flesh nature, that Adam and Eve had too (Genesis 2:16), but a baby has neither done right nor wrong, and it doesn't have any desire to do right or wrong because it doesn't yet know right from wrong (iow "law").

James writes about sin in James 1:14: that we are "tempted by our desires" (that is provided by the flesh nature being enticed by the ideas from the spirits in the culture around us) "and dragged out by them. When sin has conceived," (ie: sin does not exist in us until the moment it is conceived - when our desires have lured us from obedience into unrighteousness), "then when sin has matured" (ie: by repeated decisions to keep denying the Holy Spirit's pleas to do what is right in accordance with our conscience), "it brings forth death".

That is the spiritual death that is responsible for the doctrines of salvation (eg: Psalms 23:4). Notice how James says in v13 "let nobody say they are being tempted by God when they are tempted to sin" - that is consistent with the meaning found in John 10:10 "the thief comes to steal/kill/destroy, but I have come that they may have life".

Whenever we choose to enter into sin, not through the fact that a sinful desire has happened, but the fact that we have allowed that desire to conceive and bring forth sin, then we are in fact choosing to not follow the Holy Spirit that pleads with us to remain pure. For example, do you remember what you had to overcome internally before you could kiss a girl? It is through peer pressure that the temptation to sin (ie: pride) takes root (Romans 5:12).

So it is not good doctrine to say that we are born as sinners, and when you look at what the original scriptures say, it becomes obvious that most English translations are missing the point. Romans 7:9 is a particularly strong statement to that effect, and maybe that's why no translator has yet succeeded to change what it says.

It is a bad translation to say "born again". If you look at the Strong's use of the word, you can see its primary meaning is to say "born from above" or "from the top", (uppermost). You can see some of the examples of the same word used in other scriptures too, and it gives more weight to that fact.

There is research that explains that the Greek word does have potential to carry the double-meaning, but I am inclined to view that as John's theological efforts:

When Nicodemus asks in verse 4 "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born, can he?" (NASB), it shows us that he hasn't heard Jesus mention a second birth, because Nicodemus himself is introducing that idea of his own dexterity.

”Born again”, or ”born from above” would be the same thing.

Born of the Spirit.
Born of God.

Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”
John 3:5-8

• So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.

But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. John 1:12-13

Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God. 1 John 3:9

JLB

Addiction for example can be hard for a born again believer in God and his Word Jesus Christ.

Is that what Paul was taking about when he said what he wants to do he does not do and what he wants to do he does not?

To be honest that is me. 20 years away from God gave the evil one all that time to set up his residence in me, unchallenged.
Paul was also away from God and even persecuted Christ, im almost certain the evil one had a similar stronghold in him as well. Nome of the other apostles wrote about having this struggle like Paul did. That's why never leave God, for Satan will move in

Those verses u speak of are in Romans 7:14-26. Im not sure what sin Paul was struggling with but it describes my situation like only Paul can. Its almost like he wrote that for me.

16 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
18 For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.
19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do – this I keep on doing

24 What a wretched man I am! ?

It makes me hang my head in shame.:shame

To be honest that is me. 20 years away from God gave the evil one all that time to set up his residence in me, unchallenged.
Paul was also away from God and even persecuted Christ, im almost certain the evil one had a similar stronghold in him as well. Nome of the other apostles write about having this struggle like Paul did. That's why never leave God, for Satan will move in

Those verses u speak of are in Romans 7:14-26. Im not sure what sin Paul was struggling with but it describes my situation like only Paul can. Its almost like he wrote that for me.

16 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
18 For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.
19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do – this I keep on doing

24 What a wretched man I am! ?

It makes me hang my head in shame.:shame

Amen bro.

Im right there with you.

JLB

Amen bro.

Im right there with you.

JLB

On the flip side I was living in sin without any remorse what so ever. I had suppressed God's will and was living off the will of the evil one. I think God did give me over to a depraved mind, a sinful live like Paul explains in Romans 1.

Now at least i can discern God's will, i feel terrible when I sin and pray for forgiveness. I know this war will be with me till I die, just like Paul says. Spiritual warfare is real over here and im behind enemy lines. So although at times i will loose some battles and i may feel like im loosing the war I must keep on carrying this cross and stand firm against his attacks. I feel like i must endure this suffering and keep faith in our Lord until my death. It's my narrow gate, my difficult path to eternal life in the glory of God.

A problem i just recently learnt about is my hatred of Satan. I despise him so much i would love to slit his throat. But this mentality is actually no good. So now im trying to figure out how to purge this hatred of Satan and be more stoic. Because showing hate towards the evil one is exactly what he wants, through hatred he can control me easier... Anyway

May God's mercy, grace and peace be with us all through our Lord Jesus Christ

On the flip side I was living in sin without any remorse what so ever. I had suppressed God's will and was living off the will of the evil one. I think God did give me over to a depraved mind, a sinful live like Paul explains in Romans 1.

Now at least i can discern God's will, i feel terrible when I sin and pray for forgiveness. I know this war will be with me till I die, just like Paul says. Spiritual warfare is real over here and im behind enemy lines. So although at times i will loose some battles and i may feel like im loosing the war I must keep on carrying this cross and stand firm against his attacks. I feel like i must endure this suffering and keep faith in our Lord until my death. It's my narrow gate, my difficult path to eternal life in the glory of God.

A problem i just recently learnt about is my hatred of Satan. I despise him so much i would love to slit his throat. But this mentality is actually no good. So now im trying to figure out how to purge this hatred of Satan and be more stoic. Because showing hate towards the evil one is exactly what he wants, through hatred he can control me easier... Anyway

May God's mercy, grace and peace be with us all through our Lord Jesus Christ

Blessings to you.

JLB

You are good up to here.

John has a theme in his Gospel account...sonship.
John 1:12-13 testifies to this.

The expression "Born from above" also had significant meaning amongst the theologians. It was a group of people who were foretold about, before they were born, to accomplish tasks for God. IE Sampson, Samuel, Isaac, Jacob and Esau.
Which is why Nicodemus is in a state of unbelief and Jesus is stating facts.

This story is more about God's foreknowledge and fore-ordination than anything else.

”Born again”, or ”born from above” would be the same thing.
"above" and "again" are two very different words. They don't say the same thing. The rest of what you wrote does fit with what I wrote, so I suggest you read me again and then explain why you have addressed me.

Back