Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What does it mean to be saved?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
What does it mean to be saved? I was raised Catholic and there was never any mention of being saved. Is being saved simply accepting and believing in Jesus?

I suppose when most say, "I'm saved." or, "To be saved." they mean that you have accepted Jesus into your life.

Many make the mistake and think that's where being saved ends. I believe that being saved means that you are committed to following God and Jesus. This means prayer, studying God's word, fulfilling His will for our lives, etc.

What does it mean to be saved? I was raised Catholic and there was never any mention of being saved. Is being saved simply accepting and believing in Jesus?
In my view, to be saved means that we have been set free from the bondage of our sinfulness, justice has been served, and we have been released from our debt. Christians demonstrate their salvation through what they believe, how they live and act toward each other, and in whom they place their faith and trust so it's a little more than just believing. In James 2:19 it says the demons believe but I doubt they are saved.

Here are a couple links to numerous Scripture references that may be helpful.

This can be viewed from the aspect of initial salvation, which refers to being born again; regeneration, saved by faith, in contrast with receiving the salvation of our soul at the end of our faith; as an end result of our faith.

Saved -
  • The eternal preservation of our entire being, spirit, soul, and body, from all enemies, including death.
  • The saving, delivering and rescuing of our entire being from the wrath of God, which is the second death, the lake of fire.

Other phrases such as “inheriting the kingdom of God” or
“inheriting eternal life” or “reaping everlasting life” are also used to refer to the final outcome of our faith.

Much to be discussed here.

Amen. Good question.

JLB

Hi dashboardchic19
You are right.
It is believing that Jesus Christ is The Son of God, that He died on the cross to save us from our sins and that He was buried and God rose Him up from the dead.
Accepting Jesus means you believe that, confess your sins to God with a contrite heart and they are forgiven. It also means that you have now chosen to follow Jesus and keep His commandments

Last edited:
Being saved is God's plan of salvation through the finished works of Christ on the cross as our soul has been delivered from sin and the consequences of sin. This is God's grace extended to all who will believe in Him and confess with their mouth and believe in their heart that Jesus is truly their Lord and Savior in whom through Him we have eternal life with the Father in the New Jerusalem. John 3:5-7, 16; Romans 10:9, 10; Ephesians 2:8

I know Matthew 5. What about Matthew 5:17-18?

What does the law have to do with being saved as we are now redeemed from the curse of the law through the finished works of Christ who died that we can have eternal life through Him to all who will believe and confess Him as Lord and Savior. Christ only fulfilled the sacrificial parts of the law as we still have to follow the moral parts on the law until Christ returns and fulfills all the law.

How many of us will be perfectly sanctified at the time of our deaths? I dare say most of us will be in need of further purification in order to enter the gates of heaven after we die

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:9

Forgive us our sins

Cleanse us from all unrighteousness

If we are cleansed of all unrighteousness then we are certainly clean and pure, because His blood is pure.

We can have fellowship now with God, and be joined to Him, being one spirit with Him.

But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.
1 Corinthians 6:17

JLB

It sounds like you are referring to the colloquial expression that is common among protestants.

What they basically mean to say, is "I call myself a Christian". What that actually means to them is that when they face the final judgment by God, they will go to heaven and if Jesus comes back before they die, He will take them with Him into the new world. So because they believe that they will pass the judgment, that it is as good as done, that is why they say that they are already saved. I personally don't use that expression though except for in a context of a future event.

Having said that, there is three main ways that scripture speaks of being saved:

1. We shall not perish
There is a reality that when we begin walking in the way of sin, we become guilty according to the truth - and yet because a sinner has developed a preference to do the sin despite the conviction of the truth, they become liable for the indignation of God (Psalms 5:4-6). So just as the story of Adam and Eve tells us, our sinfulness causes us to hide from God because when a person who is gripped by sin is forced into His presence, they are not naturally inclined to repent but rather forced to confess against their will (John 3:20). In turn, they reach for deceit and blame and thereby yield their soul to the devil because the devil is the father of lies (John 8:44, 1 John 2:21, Romans 6:16, 1 John 1:5).

The concept of perishing in this sense, is all about the fact that a person who is evading the light is being pushed further and further into the devil's grip every time the truth comes near to them. Every time the truth causes them to ask or answer in a way that would force them to admit their wrongness, they need to come up with another answer that twists the truth so that they are justified by their words instead. Then they actually need to believe the lie in order to escape the conviction of their conscience! .. and so, sin leads a person further and further away from having any standing in the truth. The outcome for those people, is that they are never aware of how blind they are to their own hypocrisy, and consequently they reside on the side of spiritual blindness and darkness (1 Peter 2:9, 1 John 2:8-11).

Conversely however, there is a side of judgment whereby we walk in the light (John 3:21), having turned away from sin and having been forgiven by God's mercy (Ephesians 2:4-8, John 14:21).We are comfortable with the truth and never afraid to give an honest answer, and we can see those who are of an honest spirit compared to those who have been made blind (1 Corinthians 2:15), and it is on the side of the pure in mind that the Word of God resides (John 8:47, 1 John 2:14).

2. We shall endure
But you have faithfully followed my teaching, way of life, purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, persecutions, and sufferings that happened to me in Antioch, in Iconium, and in Lystra, what sort of persecutions I endured, and the Lord delivered me from all of them. And indeed, all those who want to live in a godly manner in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. But evil people and imposters will progress to the worse, deceiving and being deceived. But you continue in the things which you have learned and are convinced of, because you know from whom you learned them, and that from childhood you have known the holy writings that are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. (St. Paul, 2 Timothy 3:10-15)
There is no compromise between God and the devil: each is in the war for a total victory, and what that means is that the devil will use all manner of devices to bring people against us in their sinfulness, because they are the ones who are literally unable to love us as God loves us - they do those things because they do not belong to God and neither do they know God (John 15:18-23). But God's purpose in justice is to save (Isaiah 54:17), and it is imperative that we are found to be innocent in His eyes before our accusers (1 John 2:1-2, Revelation 12:10). It is through remaining free of sin by trusting in God through the persecutions (Romans 8:28, Philippians 4:6-7), that He is able to ultimately complete His judgment of those who do their sin against us (Psalms 92:5-9, Romans 12:1, 1 Peter 2:20-24, Hebrews 12:25-29).

3. We shall be raised up
The one who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. (Jesus Christ, John 6:54).
Christianity teaches that there is an awareness of the self that endures even after the body has expired. The parable of Lazarus and the rich man in Luke 16:19-31 tells us that there is an impassable chasm between those who are on the side where the saints reside, and those who are cut off forever. This is the most common meaning that Christians have in mind when they talk about being saved: they believe that they will be on the side of heaven rather than hell. As I have explained already, John 3:16 speaks about the erosion of an intrinsic spiritual life that is within us (John 1:4), whereas the state of the soul in an afterlife speaks more about becoming aware of who we have become when we finally are unable to evade the judgment of God (Matthew 25:31-46, Ecclesiastes 9:5-6, 2 Corinthians 4:3-4, John 8:21-24).

So I think it is best to speak of "being saved" as a Christian doctrine that speaks of an ongoing salvation: that we have already come out of the bondage of sin and have seen the truth of the reality of the gospel of Jesus Christ, but the day that we can finally say "yes, we have been saved" is a day when the threat of persecution and the power of death and sin have become a thing of the past (1 Corinthians 15:54, Revelation 21:3-4).

In one sense, yes. But it is at that point that, hurrah! I will be in Heaven with my Lord and be saved...but scripture makes it clear that there is rank in heaven. Some will be called the least in the Kingdom of God...lay up your treasures in heaven?...

So we're saved and are at the bottom rung in Heaven. Do we start out as a new believer as the least in Heaven? But we have been given the power to become, sons of God...so there is opportunity to advance. Through our obedience and dedication.

Interesting how many explanations of salvation state a bunch about what we do and very little about what God does. My own experience was very much an act on God's part. I don't even remember saying a coherent prayer, but I left the experience a new creation in Christ. Just sayin.... :)

Reactions: JLB
It's a good question and just look at the variety of answers. Which says to me that it is not as simple as accepting Jesus as your Lord and saviour on a particular time and day.
I don't know about saved but I think we will be held to account on a Judgement Day . We don't get away with anything. Bad attitude not acceptable.
That's why the Catholic teaching on Purgatory makes perfect sense. Like purifying metal in a furnace. Any lack of goodwill can be burnt off. Most of us will still be blemished at our time of death. We might have lived a relatively kind and loving life , trying to do good, but will need further polishing before entering the holy of holies, Heaven.
Being saved is just the start of our Christian life. With grace, comes responsibility. Effort and discipline required, for grace to be more effective.

There is a hierarchy in Heaven? That's a bit of a turn off to be honest.

Everything I've heard and read seems to substantiate it. There's, God, Arch Angels, Messenger Angels, Guardian Angels, Warring Angels, Saints...Lay up for yourself treasures in Heaven? Some could be called the least in the Kingdom of heaven? Some will be called great? So, there will be more or less for us there, depending on what we do here?

I don't think that there will be any disappointment in heaven for anyone. I think it's more how much our spiritual capacity is to be able to withstand more of the glory of God, or less. That capacity and spiritual growth depends on how much we press in to God while here. So if one servant had say, five talents of investment from the Lord and gained another five talents...he did good, enter thou into the joy of the Lord. Another servant gained his Lord 10 talents, and was given more.

Or imagine one's cup being the size of a thimble, and anothers the size of a water glass...both of their cups will runneth over and there will be joy for all in that way. But some will be more profitable servants to the Lord than others. And have a better position than others. Loosely speaking...I don't want to be the plumber again, lol. I don't want to show up alone! I want...Lord, look who I was able to bring with me through my efforts! More fruit for the Kingdom.

Advancing gets more difficult. Be sure it's what you would really want before praying for it.

What does the law have to do with being saved as we are now redeemed from the curse of the law through the finished works of Christ who died that we can have eternal life through Him to all who will believe and confess Him as Lord and Savior. Christ only fulfilled the sacrificial parts of the law as we still have to follow the moral parts on the law until Christ returns and fulfills all the law.
Revelation 12:17. and Revelation 14:12. This is the meaning of salvation. The person that GOD HAVE DECLARED.

Revelation 12:17. and Revelation 14:12. This is the meaning of salvation. The person that GOD HAVE DECLARED.

These two verse need to be presented in the full context of what is written as they are about the command of God to be patient and endure until the end as then we will be saved, Matthew 24:13. Matthew 24 Jesus gave us the signs to watch for in the end of the age and and all those things which must come first before His return. Not every command of God has to do with the ten commandments or that of any of the moral laws we are to keep. What many do not understand, including me at first until I understood it, is that we are not saved until Christ returns on the last day as then we are caught up to Him, Matthew 24:29-31; John 5:28; 29; 6:40; 1 Corinthians 15:51-58; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18. For now we are living by God's grace through His plan of salvation through Christ Jesus who is our faith we trust in.

Satan Thrown Down to Earth
Rev 12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
Rev 12:8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
Rev 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
Rev 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
Rev 12:12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.
Rev 12:13 And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child.
Rev 12:14 And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.
Rev 12:15 And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood.
Rev 12:16 And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.
Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

The Messages of the Three Angels
Rev 14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
Rev 14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
Rev 14:8 And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.
Rev 14:9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
Rev 14:10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
Rev 14:11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
Rev 14:13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

It's a good question and just look at the variety of answers. Which says to me that it is not as simple as accepting Jesus as your Lord and saviour on a particular time and day.
I don't know about saved but I think we will be held to account on a Judgement Day . We don't get away with anything. Bad attitude not acceptable.
That's why the Catholic teaching on Purgatory makes perfect sense. Like purifying metal in a furnace. Any lack of goodwill can be burnt off. Most of us will still be blemished at our time of death. We might have lived a relatively kind and loving life , trying to do good, but will need further polishing before entering the holy of holies, Heaven.
Being saved is just the start of our Christian life. With grace, comes responsibility. Effort and discipline required, for grace to be more effective.

I found this one day searching about purgatory, but never listed where I found it so this is not my work but have the Jerusalem Bible that has the books of Macabbes in and read the scriptures there. After death there is no more a chance to be saved when Christ returns.

John 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
John 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

2 Macabbes is where Catholics get their idea of a purgatory and that everyone will go to be with Christ when He returns. There is no purgatory as this is just something that man dreamed up and is not of God. In Psalms 88 we see Heman was asking God these three questions in vs. 10-12 as he was sore plexed in approching his own death and was not sure that he would escape the wrath of God in judgement and was wondering if those who died who are in the grave could hear Gods voice. Psalms 6:5; Hebrews 9:27; Matthew 8:21,22; 2 Corinthians 5:8-11; Revelation 14:13 are just for a few scriptures all state the grave is a place of unconscienceness where there is no memory and souls are not capable of anything as it is dark silence waiting that of Gods judgement at the end of time when Christ returns and separates the sheep from the goats. They have no knowledge, no comfort, no praise of God, and most assuredly, no power of intercession.

2 Macabbes 12:38-45 Judas Maccabaeus is speaking about the sacrifice for the fallen who were found to have pagan idols on them when they died and this was the reason for their death as it is against God to have such idols in ones posession. It was clear to everyone why these men lost their lives. All of them blest the Lord and gave themselves to prayer begging that the sin commited by those who died would be blotted out. Judas urged the people to keep themselves free from sin, seeing with their own eyes the effects of the sin of those who had fallen. Judas then took a collection of money and sent it to Jerusalem to have a sacrifice for sin offered. although a fine and nobel action in which he took full account of the resurrection. For if he had not expected the fallen to rise again it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead. Whereas if he had in view the splendid recompense reserved for those who made a pious end, the though was holy and devout. This was why he had this atonement sacrifice offered for the dead so that they might be released from their sin.

This is where the Roman Catholic Church came up with the concept of purgatory. Hopefully this will clear some things up we have been discussing. Also here is a good website that explains why the two books of Maccabees are not found in the KJV Bible

Back