Christian Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• We stand with Ukraine. Please consider supporting Ukraine through a qualified organization.
  • Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is Easter? The Origin and Meaning of Easter.

JLB

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life
Supporter
From
Houston Texas
If the body dies when the spirit leaves it and Jesus IS God and can not be killed, then Jesus didn't really die on the cross. His Spirit just left His flesh body and went to Paradise to declare victory to the saints and set them free. Right?

Yes, He led captivity captive when He descended into the heart of the earth, and ascended to heaven, even the highest heaven, at the right hand of God.

Therefore He says:
“When He ascended on high,

He led captivity captive, and gave gifts to men.”

(Now this, “He ascended”—what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth? He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.) Ephesians 4:8-10

Paul is quoting Psalms 68:18

JLB

JLB

Supporter
From
Houston Texas
Some may, but not Catholics - or Orthodox.

Do you speak for all Catholic people?

I know Catholics who celebrate Easter as well as Protestants and unbelievers.

JLB

Mungo

Catholicism Overseer
Catholicism Overseer
From
England
see post #13

The Catholic Church celebrates Easter as follows:
There are three services over the Triduum, or as someone put it - one service spread over 3 days.
On Thursday evening is the Mass of the Last Supper where we celebrate the Last Supper.
On Friday Afternoon there is the Good Friday service where we remember the Passion and Death of Christ.
On Sunday evening we celebrate Christ's Resurrection.
What is the problem with that?

WIP

Staff member
From
Central Minnesota, USA
Christian
Yes
Do you speak for all Catholic people?

I know Catholics who celebrate Easter as well as Protestants and unbelievers.

JLB
Appropriate or not, I have never met a Catholic or Protestant that I am aware of that does not celebrate Easter without including Easter eggs, Easter bunnies, and in many cases, even the giving of gifts. They also may celebrate worship services on Maundy Thursday (Holy Thursday), Good Friday, and Easter Sunday.

JLB

Supporter
From
Houston Texas
Appropriate or not, I have never met a Catholic or Protestant that I am aware of that does not celebrate Easter without including Easter eggs, Easter bunnies, and in many cases, even the giving of gifts. They also may celebrate worship services on Maundy Thursday (Holy Thursday), Good Friday, and Easter Sunday.

I agree.

Edward

2022 Supporter
From
USA
Christian
Yes

I don't celebrate commercial Easter but we did when we was raising kids. But nowadays I go all out if I cook a ham on Easter. If it has its roots in paganism then we should not observe the commercial holidays I think is the best way.

for_his_glory

Fight the good fight of faith
Staff member
Administrator
From
South Carolina
Christian
Yes
Easter Bunny and Eggs. The rabbit is well known as a sexual symbol of fertility. In various parts of the world, religions which developed from Babel also associate the rabbit with periodicity, both human and lunar (Egypt, China, etc.). As you may remember, the Mother Goddess Semiramis (Easter) is associated with the Moon. In other words, the Easter bunny symbolizes the Mother Goddess. Annual Spring time fertility rituals are associated worship of the Mother Goddess and Tammuz, the reincarnation of her husband Nimrod.

The Easter Egg

Most children and families who color or hide Easter eggs as part of their Resurrection Sunday tradition have no knowledge of the origin of these traditions. Easter egg activities have become a part of Western culture. Many would be surprised and even dismayed to learn where the traditions originated.

“The egg was a sacred symbol among the Babylonians. They believed an old fable about an egg of wondrous size which was supposed to have fallen from heaven into the Euphrates River. From this marvelous egg - according to the ancient story - the Goddess Astarte (Easter) [Semiramis], was hatched. And so the egg came to symbolize the Goddess Easter.

The idea of a mystic egg spread from Babylon to many parts of the world. In Rome, the mystic egg preceded processions in honor of the Mother Goddess Roman. The egg was part of the sacred ceremonies of the Mysteries of Bacchus. The Druids used the egg as their sacred emblem. In Northern Europe, China and Japan the eggs were colored for their sacred festivals.

The egg was also a symbol of fertility; Semiramis (Easter) was the goddess of Fertility. The Easter egg is a symbol of the pagan Mother Goddess, and it even bears one of her names.

Most reference books say that the name “Easter” derived from the Eastre, the Teutonic goddess of Spring. Although this relationship exists, in reality, the origin of the name and the goddess are far more ancient - going all the way back to the Tower of Babel. The origin begins not long after the biblical Flood.​

And baskets with plastic grass and various candies.

Indeed. What is in scripture is God liberating the Jews from slavery in Egypt, and the parallel of our Lord liberating us from slavery to sin.
I love how Easter is how/when Jesus opened the Kingdom to all us gentile mutts that we may be saved as well.