Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What Is Repentance?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
--is repentance just saying I am sorry?

--is repentance making amends for wrongs you have done?

--is repentance just a change of mind or a change of mind and actions?

I believe repentance is a complete change of mind and heart regarding how one feels about the sin. In some cases, it is not possible for us to go back to those we've wronged and make restitution. I'll use myself as an example.

When I was in my late teens I committed many acts of shoplifting. I actually got pretty good at it. I had no remorse for what I did and in fact, I actually took some pride in my ability. So much so that I would often offer my "services" to friends. For me to go back now and attempt to pay restitution would require that I know or remember where I committed my crimes and what it was I took from them. In fact, since it was 30+ years ago, I know that some of those businesses are no longer there.

Make no mistake about it. We use a gentle term of shoplifting to describe this crime but let's not sugar-coat it anymore. I was a thief plain and simple. I believe I have repented from this sin of thievery. Today, I not only stopped committing the crime but I have absolutely no desire to repeat it at all. In fact, I am often ridiculed because of my honesty, especially when it comes to things like income taxes and business tax write-offs. I refuse to use some of those business loopholes by stretching the truth. I'll share some examples.

I operate a small hobby farm and we have livestock in the form of horses. We grow our own hay and I also grow wheat and soybeans. I sell the wheat and soybeans and some of the hay but because we are not actually in business to trade or train horses, I do not claim them, their shelter, or anything else related to their care as a tax deduction against my business income. Legally, this is the letter of the law but I can assure you that I could very easily claim them and get away with it and I am willing to bet that most anyone else would and does exactly that.

When I bought our home computer I could have easily claimed it as a business tax expense but because I also use it for personal use, my conscience wouldn't allow me to do so. I only claimed a percentage of the cost. Same is true with regard to my ATV. I use it for both farm and personal use and therefore I only claim a percentage of its cost against my business. This is correct according to the law but I would bet my next paycheck that most people would claim the entire expense and they would get away with it just the same.

I'm not sharing this information to boast, but to explain what I mean when I say that I have made a complete about turn with regard to stealing. Anytime I am pushed by friends, family, or anyone to something that in my heart I know it is stealing, it turns my stomach and I have no desire to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Romans 2 contains a great treatise from Paul about the nature of and need for repentance. In Mark 1, the Lord Jesus Himself proclaimed repentance and faith in the gospel (Mark 1.15).

In Scripture it is generally linked with faith, and not merely in the abstract.

I see repentance as this:

We realize something is wrong and want to change.

We go into prayer and ask God forgiveness.

We then take action to change, hoping and believing God will help us through it.

The result: Revival!

This is what repentance looks like... it bears fruit.

Ephesians 4:28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

We see that a thief is still a theif until he himself labours for his goods. But it does not end there, he must now give to him in need. This is a picture of true repentance, and it starts with one's heart being pricked by the word of God.

2 Corinthians 7: Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

The Corinthians’ Repentance

2 Open your hearts to us. We have wronged no one, we have corrupted no one, we have cheated no one. 3 I do not say this to condemn; for I have said before that you are in our hearts, to die together and to live together. 4 Great is my boldness of speech toward you, great is my boasting on your behalf. I am filled with comfort. I am exceedingly joyful in all our tribulation.

5 For indeed, when we came to Macedonia, our bodies had no rest, but we were troubled on every side. Outside were conflicts, inside were fears. 6 Nevertheless God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, 7 and not only by his coming, but also by the consolation with which he was comforted in you, when he told us of your earnest desire, your mourning, your zeal for me, so that I rejoiced even more.

8 For even if I made you sorry with my letter, I do not regret it; though I did regret it. For I perceive that the same epistle made you sorry, though only for a while. 9 Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing. 10 For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death. 11 For observe this very thing, that you sorrowed in a godly manner: What diligence it produced in you, what clearing of yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what vehement desire, what zeal, what vindication! In all things you proved yourselves to be clear in this matter. 12 Therefore, although I wrote to you, I did not do it for the sake of him who had done the wrong, nor for the sake of him who suffered wrong, but that our care for you in the sight of God might appear to you.

repentance, n. [F. repentance.].
The act of repenting, or the state of being penitent; sorrow for what one has done or omitted to do; especially, contrition for sin. Chaucer. [1913 Webster]
"Godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation." [1913 Webster]
"Repentance is a change of mind, or a conversion from sin to God." [1913 Webster]
"Repentance is the relinquishment of any practice from the conviction that it has offended God. Sorrow, fear, and anxiety are properly not parts, but adjuncts, of repentance; yet they are too closely connected with it to be easily separated." [1913 Webster] The state of being contrite; deep sorrow and repentance for sin, because sin is displeasing to God; humble penitence; through repentance. [1913 Webster]
"My future days shall be one whole contrition."

Repentance is a change of mind, and it comes from being begotten again.

--is repentance just saying I am sorry?

--is repentance making amends for wrongs you have done?

--is repentance just a change of mind or a change of mind and actions?
Paul tells us to repent and do works commensurate with repentance:

20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance. (Acts 26: KJV)

This shows that actions are the result, or manifestation, of repentance, not necessarily the actions themselves, though I don't think it's improper to refer to the actions themselves as 'repentance'. Repentance is a change of mind about sin, righteousness, and the judgment to come. We are exhorted to act according to our change of mind about sin, righteousness, and the judgment to come.

I know people who say they are Christians and are saved but who really have not changed their minds about various sins and how God will judge mankind in the end. IOW, they are unrepentant. In time, their lack of repentance (change of mind) in regard to those things causes them to do the very things they never came into agreement with God about in the first place (divorce, drinking, abortion, immorality, etc.). Their actions eventually showing their lack of repentance (change of mind) despite what they so confidently affirm about their relationship with God.

Repentance is a change of mind, and it comes from being begotten again.

All whom Christ died for and rose again, by His Resurrection, they were begotten again as per 1 Pet 1:3

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

This begotten again is the greek word anagennao:

to produce again, be born again, born anew

2) metaph. to have one's mind changed so that he lives a new life and one conformed to the will of God

To have ones mind changed is giving repentance !

The word repentnace is the greek word metanoia :

a change of mind, as it appears to one who repents, of a purpose he has formed or of something he has done

So Christ's Resurrection is responsible for giving those He died for repentance, so states Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

It is Christ's Work that gives Repentance, that is why when the Shepherd finds the lost Sheep here Lk 15:5-7

And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.

6 And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.

7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

The repentance was due to the Man finding His Sheep !

I believe repentance is a complete change of mind and heart regarding how one feels about the sin. In some cases, it is not possible for us to go back to those we've wronged and make restitution. I'll use myself as an example.

When I was in my late teens I committed many acts of shoplifting. I actually got pretty good at it. I had no remorse for what I did and in fact, I actually took some pride in my ability. So much so that I would often offer my "services" to friends. For me to go back now and attempt to pay restitution would require that I know or remember where I committed my crimes and what it was I took from them. In fact, since it was 30+ years ago, I know that some of those businesses are no longer there.

Make no mistake about it. We use a gentle term of shoplifting to describe this crime but let's not sugar-coat it anymore. I was a thief plain and simple. I believe I have repented from this sin of thievery. Today, I not only stopped committing the crime but I have absolutely no desire to repeat it at all. In fact, I am often ridiculed because of my honesty, especially when it comes to things like income taxes and business tax write-offs. I refuse to use some of those business loopholes by stretching the truth. I'll share some examples.

I operate a small hobby farm and we have livestock in the form of horses. We grow our own hay and I also grow wheat and soybeans. I sell the wheat and soybeans and some of the hay but because we are not actually in business to trade or train horses, I do not claim them, their shelter, or anything else related to their care as a tax deduction against my business income. Legally, this is the letter of the law but I can assure you that I could very easily claim them and get away with it and I am willing to bet that most anyone else would and does exactly that.

When I bought our home computer I could have easily claimed it as a business tax expense but because I also use it for personal use, my conscience wouldn't allow me to do so. I only claimed a percentage of the cost. Same is true with regard to my ATV. I use it for both farm and personal use and therefore I only claim a percentage of its cost against my business. This is correct according to the law but I would bet my next paycheck that most people would claim the entire expense and they would get away with it just the same.

I'm not sharing this information to boast, but to explain what I mean when I say that I have made a complete about turn with regard to stealing. Anytime I am pushed by friends, family, or anyone to something that in my heart I know it is stealing, it turns my stomach and I have no desire to do it.

Yes, this is an example of true repentence. Turning away from sin because of a change of mind/heart. You were willingly and allowed the Holy Spirit to work in you changing you inside to have the mind of Christ. When He does a work in us it is complete, He doesn't do things half way. It is only us that causes the struggle with repentence. I have struggled with repentence in some areas but I know it is me hanging on to something that the Lord says just let go and give it to Me. This is one of the reasons I do not believe that many people truely understand the saving grace of our Lord.
I don't believe that a person looses their salvation for unrepented sins. I think the Lord would much prefer that we come to Him in honesty. Words spoken do not change a heart and words spoken as a forced repentence out of fear of punishment mean very little if anything.

I too have had a hobby farm for many years and have seen others (especially in the horse industry) cheat on their taxes, claiming feed expenses ect for personal use horses right along with that of inservice stock. The rich are also quite good at it one way by having one of their unrelated businesses own their horses and taking full expenses through the company.

Thank you for sharing and your honesty. A powerful testimony.

This is what repentance looks like... it bears fruit.

Ephesians 4:28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

We see that a thief is still a theif until he himself labours for his goods. But it does not end there, he must now give to him in need. This is a picture of true repentance, and it starts with one's heart being pricked by the word of God.

Yes, this is a picture of what true repentence brings about the end product.

--is repentance just saying Iam sorry?
No

--is repentance making amends for wrongs you havedone?
No

--is repentance just a change of mind or a change ofmind and actions?

No

--is repentance just a change of mind or a change ofmind and actions?

Yes

In all fairness I am not answering the questions asked. I have answered the questions
is to repent just saying I am sorry?
is to repent making amends for wrongs you have done?
is to repent just a change of mind?
is to repent a change of mind and actions?

In both Hebrew and Greek the word repent is defined as achange of mind. Simply that. Our actions are led by our thoughts. If we change our minds about something thenour previous thoughts on the matter must be replaced by other thoughts whichnaturally produce different actions/behaviors. Renewing of the mind by the Word. Putting on the mind of Christ.

When I accepted that Jesus was the Son of God, God come inthe flesh, died for my sins, and was raised from the dead. AND that I was guilty of sinning against Him,therefore a sinner.... I was repentant of those things. This change of mind that was brought about bythe Holy Spirit, was a repentance onto salvation, I was born again. A brand new creature.

However, I did not totally change all my behaviors; become aperfect good little girl, always cheerful, always loving, etc., etc. So....I continue in the repentance process,AKA sanctification. This can only happenby changing my mind and the only way I can do that is to willingly allow theHoly Spirit to make those changes.

Back