Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the best study bible for prophecy?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Avalon1

I'm interested in getting a study bible, I would primarily be using it to read the book of Revelation and other prophecy verses. I'm mostly interested in the commentary, commentary really helps me out a lot especially when it comes to Revelation and sometimes I take a shot at reading it without it.

Which study bibles would you recommend for prophecy?

I seems like what you are looking for are commentaries on Revelation.
There are hundreds of them.
I suggest that you look up what is available and get several commentaries written by scholars from a variety of backgrounds. (Baptist, Episcopal, Pentecostal, Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc. ...)
By doing so you will get a wide spectrum of interpretation.

If I may ask, why Revelation?

Well I finally decided on the Jeremiah Study Bible (NIV) (Baptist), by Dr. David Jeremiah and I'm very happy with it.

The best study Bible is one that has cross reference to other scriptures that gives you the OT and NT scripture for the whole context. I'm not into man's commentaries as they can be misleading. Your best teacher is the Holy Spirit that will guide you and teach you that of what you need to learn.

Your best teacher is the Holy Spirit that will guide you and teach you that of what you need to learn.
I see that a lot.
It's only true if you can discern the "voice" of the Holy Spirit.
We've gotten tens of thousands of denominations that don't agree on what the Bible says all claiming to be led by the Holy Spirit. oh well ....:shrug

I see that a lot.
It's only true if you can discern the "voice" of the Holy Spirit.
We've gotten tens of thousands of denominations that don't agree on what the Bible says all claiming to be led by the Holy Spirit. oh well ....:shrug

This is why it is important to learn to discern so you will not be deceived by all the deceptive teachings that are out there, 1 John 4:1-6.

I would be most interested in the commentary furnished by John's Disciple, Irenaeus, in Against Heresies. Or maybe he's a disciple of John's disciple? Either way, he's much closer to the author, and thus his opinion would be far more likely to reveal original intent than someone's opinion from 1,000+ years later. Or so I would think ...

This is why it is important to learn to discern so you will not be deceived by all the deceptive teachings that are out there, 1 John 4:1-6.
That learning comes with a lot of time, a lot of scripture reading, and a lot of prayer. Many imagine that they "have arrived" when, in fact, their journey has just begun.
It's good to see so many people at least trying.

might i add jay Vernon McGee has free audio teaching on rev and rest of the books of the bible . just google search you can find it

Yeah I figured. I like a couple of pre-trib teachers even though their rapture timing is off but otherwise spot on with everything else, but no teacher is 100% accurate.

Yeah I figured. I like a couple of pre-trib teachers even though their rapture timing is off but otherwise spot on with everything else, but no teacher is 100% accurate.
well personally when the Bible says NO MAN KNOWS THE HOUR OR DAY then there is no timing other than His

Hi and welcome!

Your starting your studies in one of the most difficult books of the Bible. My prayer is that you dont lock in one perspective and then read the whole of scripture through that lense. Many have made that mistake.

My starting point is Deuteronomy 17 where it lists the attributes for the King. Then take that list and read 1 Kings chapters 9, 10 and 11. Study these chapters in depth. This gives you the backdrop of important events in Revelation, including 666 etc.

Keep in mind Israel's purpose in Deuteronomy 4.

Good luck and God be with you.

might i add jay Vernon McGee has free audio teaching on rev and rest of the books of the bible . just google search you can find it

I always loved his radio show! Now there's a guy on that sounds like him and almost seems good until he reels me in and then I'm like "what's this guy peddling?"

Hi and welcome!

Your starting your studies in one of the most difficult books of the Bible. My prayer is that you dont lock in one perspective and then read the whole of scripture through that lense. Many have made that mistake.

My starting point is Deuteronomy 17 where it lists the attributes for the King. Then take that list and read 1 Kings chapters 9, 10 and 11. Study these chapters in depth. This gives you the backdrop of important events in Revelation, including 666 etc.

There are so many applications for the Revelation of Jesus Christ to St John the Divine. Squeezing newspaper headlines into it's verses is not one of them, imho.

Your perspective here is one I have not come across before! I'll have to look into that ... it deserves it's own thread

There are so many applications for the Revelation of Jesus Christ to St John the Divine. Squeezing newspaper headlines into it's verses is not one of them, imho.

Your perspective here is one I have not come across before! I'll have to look into that ... it deserves it's own thread
End times is a topic I generally stay away from in public and it can really turn into a mess quickly lol!

Hi and welcome!

Thank you I'll do that.

Back