Christian Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Christian Forum aspires to be an online community where Christians can come together in fellowship with the purpose to encourage, inspire and build up our faith in Christ Jesus. John 13:34-35
  • Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the difference between love and sex?

kathydixon

Supporter
From
usa
My desire to have children has long since passed; I am a grandfather several times over, but I still enjoy the company of a woman. Having said the above, I now wonder if my joy of having the company of a women; a feeling of “sex” or one of “love”; or is there a difference-?

In short is it sinful to enjoy the company of a woman knowing marriage is not an option.

Just asking

No animosity intended or implied

Just curious

Seasoned by Grace

Staff member
From
Pacific Northwast
kathydixon
I too am a grandfather and also a great grandfather.
My wife is gone.
Scripture says God judges the intentions of the heart and the mind;
I Sam 16 (v. 7) ...."For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."
Jeremiah 17:9-10 “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it? “I the Lord search the heart and test the mind, to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds.”
Proverbs 16:25 “There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.”

According to these verses, our mind and our heart can be full of all kinds of evil and wickedness.
Each of us in all kinds of situations must analyze our thoughts and intentions, and ask ourselves if we are trying to justify walking in the flesh, instead of walking in the Spirit.

God always has the right answer, but we have to decide if we are willing to accept that answer, and do as God says. If you have a conscience, it will speak to you, or maybe it already has, and that's why you're here asking.

Matthew 5:28 "You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. "

At your age, I would guess you already know the answer to your posted threads question.

Last edited:

Serving Zion

From
New Zealand
My desire to have children has long since passed; I am a grandfather several times over, but I still enjoy the company of a woman. Having said the above, I now wonder if my joy of having the company of a women; a feeling of “sex” or one of “love”; or is there a difference-?

In short is it sinful to enjoy the company of a woman knowing marriage is not an option.

Just asking

Just curious
I have never been married but I understand the principle of the scriptures in that God said "it is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper for him", and "the man will go out from his parents and be joined to his wife, the two becoming one flesh" (flesh of course incorporates the heart and mind: sensualities etc). In a healthy functioning relationship (which is actually pretty rare), they really are of one mind. So I can understand that if you have had that feeling of completion before, you will feel like you aren't complete without it. It is God's design, because "God is love. Whoever abides in love abides in God and God in him" - that's His intention for a relationship, so that one can always look to Him and confide in his other half. Without that the world really is a lonely place...

But having said that there is a difference between love and sex, and although love can lead to sex, most sex is self-centered, which is opposite of love (1 Corinthians 13). Love is self-less, and it always does good to the other person, but the way people do sex is more often selfish and it takes from another person to get one's own pleasure. So that's the difference between sex coming from the spirit vs sex coming from the flesh (love vs lust).

As to why you are feeling that you shouldn't be having an intimate relationship with this woman, do you understand where the guilt is coming from?

Who Me

From
London England
Sex is a discription of ones gender as well as a form of short hand for the act of sexual intercourse.

Love is both a feeling as well as an action.

We love our families, friends etc with many different degrees of intensity.

So it real depends what you mean by love for your friend.
It also depends how your 'love' is seen by the world.

Rollo Tamasi

Warrior for Christ
Supporter
From
Inverness Florida

Just asking

Just curious
I've never had any children.
You are a grandfather.
Enjoy it and teach your family the ways of the Lord.

Seasoned by Grace

Staff member
From
Pacific Northwast
kathydixon
It all comes down to what's in your heart and what are your intentions.

If you are sexually interested, don't get involved.
On the other hand, If you just need a friend, and there are no sexual desires about that person - MAYBE.
I am older, and alone and love it.
I have had plenty of women interested and I tell them I love my single life.
A few of the women in my neighborhood feel like I do, and I can go to their house and we visit, without any drama of trying to establish a relationship, or being in one.
I have found that many OLDER women want a relationship with most anyone, and are so in need of someone to share their life with. They are lonely and social, and I get that.

I've been there having a woman for a friend, but that just didn't work out, so if you choose to, BE CAREFUL !!!

jaybo

Supporter
From
Santa Fe NM
I have been married for 53 years. We stopped having sex recently, whether because of fatigue or lack of interest or ..?

That said, I have had many female friends over the decades and I have never been unfaithful (nor has my wife). Sex has never entered into any of those relationships, regardless of the opportunity.

D-D-W

From
Maryland

I have 4 kids and 7 grandchildren. Been married 44 years.

To your question: there is a big difference. First off, there are several types of "love." There are 3 words in Hebrew (ahavah, chesed, chavav and dod) and 4 in Greek. (phileo, eros, storge and agape)

Dod and eros are similar in that they include both romantic love and sexual function.

All of the other types of love have little or nothing to do with sex.

So to the other question about enjoying the company of women; it entirely depends on what kind of enjoyment you are talking about. Friendship and family (brother/sister) relationships are fine. But if it starts to get romantic or sexual, then it becomes a problem.

kathydixon

Supporter
From
usa
I might have said this earlier and maybe not, so I am going to say it again.

When I was growing up, I believed intercourse was for the procreation of children and none other. Now I am a divorced 72 years old.

I believe a woman is God’s greatest creation. Having said that, I enjoy the company of a women. I enjoy conversing with a woman; etc., etc,

I have never had intercourse other than my wife. Now all I see on cable TV are romances and the term “sex” used as if it is a common term.

I am one very confused old man, and I will leave it at that.

It is time to change the subject

later