Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the first commandment?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. Matthew 22:37-
Sorry I mean of the Ten Commandments
What’s the first from the “Bible alone”

I believe JLB answered your question for in the following verse 40 Jesus said, "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.” (NKJV)

We can look further back into Deuteronomy 5:6-21 where Moses reviews the 10 Commandments with Israel. Then read further into chapter 6:1-4 where Moses sums it it up saying...

“Now this is the commandment, and these are the statutes and judgments which the Lord your God has commanded to teach you, that you may observe them in the land which you are crossing over to possess, that you may fear the Lord your God, to keep all His statutes and His commandments which I command you, you and your son and your grandson, all the days of your life, and that your days may be prolonged. Therefore hear, O Israel, and be careful to observe it, that it may be well with you, and that you may multiply greatly as the Lord God of your fathers has promised you—‘a land flowing with milk and honey.’ Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength." (NKJV)

Does this help answer your question?

I believe JLB answered your question for in the following verse 40 Jesus said, "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.” (NKJV)

We can look further back into Deuteronomy 5:6-21 where Moses reviews the 10 Commandments with Israel. Then read further into chapter 6:1-4 where Moses sums it it up saying...

“Now this is the commandment, and these are the statutes and judgments which the Lord your God has commanded to teach you, that you may observe them in the land which you are crossing over to possess, that you may fear the Lord your God, to keep all His statutes and His commandments which I command you, you and your son and your grandson, all the days of your life, and that your days may be prolonged. Therefore hear, O Israel, and be careful to observe it, that it may be well with you, and that you may multiply greatly as the Lord God of your fathers has promised you—‘a land flowing with milk and honey.’ Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength." (NKJV)

Does this help answer your question?
Thanks no

I was referring to the Ten Commandments specifically
What is the first one and how do you know?

In the 10, it depends on how you divide them. Some traditions have "I am the Lord thy God" as the first command, and other traditions have "Thou shalt have no other gods ..." as the first. See the Wikipedia page on the 10 commandments for the breakdown on how the various traditions divide them. There is a nice chart there.

In order
Why does the scripture not say what each commandment is? Instead is has the whole content of the ten in ex 20
And Deut 5.
There are minor differences between the 2 lists; like "Remember the Sabbath" and "Observe the Sabbath."

First in chronology or first in importance?

First in chronology:

Genesis 1:28
God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

First in importance:

Deuteronomy 6:5
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.

Those are the First commandments.

This is the first commandment according to Jesus Christ.

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. Matthew 22:37-38

JLB

Thanks no

I was referring to the Ten Commandments specifically
What is the first one and how do you know?

Where are the 10 Commandments mentioned in the New Testament.

Do you obey this 4th Commandment?

Here are a few passages that describe the Sabbath requirements under the law of Moses —

Then he said to them, “This is what the Lord has said: ‘Tomorrow is a Sabbath rest, a holy Sabbath to the Lord. Bake what you will bake today, and boil what you will boil; and lay up for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until morning.’ ” So they laid it up till morning, as Moses commanded; and it did not stink, nor were there any worms in it. Then Moses said, “Eat that today, for today is a Sabbath to the Lord; today you will not find it in the field. Six days you shall gather it, but on the seventh day, the Sabbath, there will be none.”
Now it happened that some of the people went out on the seventh day to gather, but they found none. And the Lord said to Moses, “How long do you refuse to keep My commandments and My laws? See! For the Lord has given you the Sabbath; therefore He gives you on the sixth day bread for two days. Let every man remain in his place; let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.” So the people rested on the seventh day. Exodus 16:23-30

And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, “Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you. You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
Exodus 31:12-15

Then Moses gathered all the congregation of the children of Israel together, and said to them, “These are the words which the Lord has commanded you to do: Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh day shall be a holy day for you, a Sabbath of rest to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death. You shall kindle no fire throughout your dwellings on the Sabbath day.”Exodus 35:1-3

Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. They put him under guard, because it had not been explained what should be done to him.
Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man must surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” So, as the Lord commanded Moses, all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died. Numbers 15:32-36

And on the Sabbath day two lambs in their first year, without blemish, and two-tenths of an ephah of fine flour as a grain offering, mixed with oil, with its drink offering— this is the burnt offering for every Sabbath, besides the regular burnt offering with its drink offering. Numbers 28:9-10

In the 10, it depends on how you divide them. Some traditions have "I am the Lord thy God" as the first command, and other traditions have "Thou shalt have no other gods ..." as the first. See the Wikipedia page on the 10 commandments for the breakdown on how the various traditions divide them. There is a nice chart there.

Scripture does not say so they are all according to the “tradition of men” like the five Protestant dogmas (Solas) mere human tradition all attacking Christ and his holy church
Any attack on the church is an attack on Christ acts 9:4

Scripture does not say so they are all according to the “tradition of men” like the five Protestant dogmas (Solas) mere human tradition all attacking Christ and his holy church
Any attack on the church is an attack on Christ acts 9:4
???????

How is defining where the 10 are divided an "attack on Christ?"

???????

How is defining where the 10 are divided an "attack on Christ?"
It’s the second called reformation that gave us the five Protestant dogmas and eliminated whole books and chapters and f the Bible and oppose the list of commandments all by the “tradition of men” without any authority

The first commandment God gave is to not worship idols.

www.jewfaq.org

Noahic (Noah) Commandments are seven commandments first given to Adam by God before the flood and brought to remembrance by God to Noah after the flood, which are binding on both Jew and Gentile as there were no Jew or Gentile in the days of Noah. Abraham was the first one to be called a Hebrew, Genesis 14:13.

Beginning with Genesis 2:16 the Babylonian Talmud listed six commandments given first to Adam and then again to Noah after the flood. The seven make up the first parts of the ten that God gave to Moses on Mt Sinai in Exodus 20. Below is a comparison list of the seven and the full ten which are all a part of the 613 laws given to Moses as some were for the Hebrews pertaining to the rituals of the Temple, sacrifices, festivals, Torah, Kohanim and Levites, the King and the Nazarite and then there are the existing moral laws (commandments) for all, Jew and Gentile to follow. Christ did not come to destroy all the laws, but to fulfill the parts of the Temple and sacrifices, Matthew 5:17-22.

Noahic Laws:
Not to worship idols.
Not to curse God.
To establish courts of justice.
Not to commit murder.
Not to commit adultery or sexual immorality.
Not to steal.
Not to eat flesh torn from a living animal.

Mt. Sinai Laws:
You shall have no other gods before Me.
You shall not make idols.
You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Honor your father and your mother.
You shall not murder.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
You shall not covet.

Part of the ten laws broken down to various commands within one law:
Other gods and idols are as one not to worship, but broke down into two commands
Remember the Sabbath was added to the ten commandments by God as a remembrance of all God did in six days (Gods timing) and rested on the seventh, Genesis 2:1-3; Matthew 12:1-13
To establish courts of justice was only given to Noah for the new generations to come after the flood
Honor your father and mother was not given to Noah, but was added to the ten commandments by God as the generations grew.
Not to covet was added to the ten commandments by God, but broke down into seven commands as your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.

Are they mutually exclusive?

I am a Christian Believer with a Jewish ancestry who is in the Messianic Jewish movement.

Peter nor any of the Apostles ever mentioned a Messianic Jewish movement.

Peter considered himself and others as Christian.

Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this matter.
1 Peter 4:16

It seems that Messianic Jewish Movement is just another label to divide the body of Christ; who are called Christians, followers of Christ.

Back