Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What kind of resurrection was it?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

OzSpen

C F Martin D28 acoustic guitar
I have shared with you previously that I sometimes write articles for a secular Australian e-journal.

Today On Line Opinion (23 April 2019) published my article, 'Any old resurrection will not do'.

Would some of you join me with biblical answers, in responding to the antagonism I expect to come? Please remember my culture is very secular.

I expect many opponents to come out of the woodwork. Can you join with me as Christians who make a defence for the hope that we have (1 Peter 3:15)?

You'll need to create your own pen name (non de plume). Mine is the same as here: OzSpen.

Blessings in Christ,
Oz

I believe Jesus went through physical, spiritual, emotional, and mental death. So for Him to be raised by God, the resurrection would have to be physical, spiritual, emotional and mental all at the same time.

I believe Jesus went through physical, spiritual, emotional, and mental death. So for Him to be raised by God, the resurrection would have to be physical, spiritual, emotional and mental all at the same time.

Doug,

Can you provide biblical support for those two statements?

Oz

I have shared with you previously that I sometimes write articles for a secular Australian e-journal.

Today On Line Opinion (23 April 2019) published my article, 'Any old resurrection will not do'.

Would some of you join me with biblical answers, in responding to the antagonism I expect to come? Please remember my culture is very secular.

I expect many opponents to come out of the woodwork. Can you join with me as Christians who make a defence for the hope that we have (1 Peter 3:15)?

You'll need to create your own pen name (non de plume). Mine is the same as here: OzSpen.

Blessings in Christ,
Oz
From what I have read the tomb was empty. Jesus was put to death in the body but made alive in the spirit. So I would state a bodily resurrection. Jesus's spirit was returned to that body. There was importance to show that the very body or person of Jesus that died was raised to life. He appeared alive again to His disciples and they touched Him, as he wasn't a ghost. He even ate fish in their presence.

They got up and returned at once to Jerusalem. There they found the Eleven and those with them, assembled together and saying, “It is true! The Lord has risen and has appeared to Simon.” Then the two told what had happened on the way, and how Jesus was recognized by them when he broke the bread.

Jesus Appears to the Disciples

While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”

They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.”

When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet. And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” They gave him a piece of broiled fish, and he took it and ate it in their presence.

a complete, total -physical- resurrection is described in Scripture. Anything else is not supported by Scripture and...honestly...I think it says more about the increasingly "post-Christian" and (at times...) anti-Christ, or at least...openly hostile to The Good News...nature of the 21st century world we all live in. :)

If Jesus's body was still laying there, would you have believed that there was life after death?
I believe my Mom is in heaven after she passed on, though her physical body is still here.

Doug,

Can you provide biblical support for those two statements?

Oz
We know from Scripture that Jesus had physical, spiritual, mental and emotional capabilities - He was human, just like us, as well as being the express image of God. So far, this is all in Scripture. What is also in Scripture is that Jesus, the whole man, the whole person, died. Everything about Him died. That's what we know about the cross and the sacrifice He offered. This fact is all biblically supported throughout the Scriptures.. So then God raises Jesus from the dead. He physically appeared to his followers, Jesus is alive physically, as well as spiritually. I think we all know that from reading about the resurrection in Scripture. Jesus is now a high priest, interceding on our behalf, sympathizing with our weaknesses (Hebrews). He must have emotions and a mental capacity to do this, so He is alive emotionally and mentally too. God raised Him physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally. He is fully functioning. And I believe that is obvious in Scripture.

I think Christians can make this too hard when it’s really simple. What’s important for us to know is this: that Jesus died and rose again. And since He rose again why wouldn’t God raise Him to a perfect reflection of God’s image?

It is simple. Matthew 28:1-10; Luke 24:36-49; 1 Corinthians 15:3-8.

My favorite: Acts 1:9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. 10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; 11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

From what I have read the tomb was empty. Jesus was put to death in the body but made alive in the spirit. So I would state a bodily resurrection. Jesus's spirit was returned to that body. There was importance to show that the very body or person of Jesus that died was raised to life. He appeared alive again to His disciples and they touched Him, as he wasn't a ghost. He even ate fish in their presence.

They got up and returned at once to Jerusalem. There they found the Eleven and those with them, assembled together and saying, “It is true! The Lord has risen and has appeared to Simon.” Then the two told what had happened on the way, and how Jesus was recognized by them when he broke the bread.

Jesus Appears to the Disciples

While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”

They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.”

When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet. And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” They gave him a piece of broiled fish, and he took it and ate it in their presence.

Randy,

While Jesus' resurrection was a bodily resurrection, there was another dynamic associated with the resurrected Jesus.

Remember what happened on the road to Emmaus (Luke 24:13-35 ERV) and Jesus' appearance to his disciples (Luke 24:36-49 ERV)?

N T Wright calls this dimension the transphysicality of Jesus. "Jesus’ new body as both physical and in a sense as transphysical, possessing new properties but remaining definitely human" (Wright , Early traditions and the origin of Christianity, 1998).

Oz

Randy,

While Jesus' resurrection was a bodily resurrection, there was another dynamic associated with the resurrected Jesus.

Remember what happened on the road to Emmaus (Luke 24:13-35 ERV) and Jesus' appearance to his disciples (Luke 24:36-49 ERV)?

N T Wright calls this dimension the transphysicality of Jesus. "Jesus’ new body as both physical and in a sense as transphysical, possessing new properties but remaining definitely human" (Wright , Early traditions and the origin of Christianity, 1998).

Oz
I have no problem with that. Jesus showed His wounds as their was importance in His resurrection to show that the Jesus on the cross had risen. In regard to myself I don't believe my current body will be raised and transformed to a body in the order of spirit. I just believe I will be clothed with a new body not of the dust of the earth.

Christ's resurrected body was of the same nature, but differed only in its glory. Flesh, bones, blood, hair, etc. are all of the very nature of the human body. Therefore, all of these things were in Christ's resurrected body, without diminution. Otherwise, His would not have been a complete resurrection if whatever was lost by death had not been restored.

Back