Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What was the role of Constantine in shaping Christianity ?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Rajesh Sahu

2024 Supporter
I was surprised to hear from a brother in Christ the other day that Constantine played a major role in selecting / colonizing books of Bible. On doing some due diligence on Constantine, I couldn't get much information. Since I have great regard for our website and some extraordinary contributions by members here, I thought it may be prudent to post a question about Constantine and his role in selecting books of Bible and in shaping the early Church . All views and information will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance and may the Lord's blessings and wisdom be with you ?

I was surprised to hear from a brother in Christ the other day that Constantine played a major role in selecting / colonizing books of Bible. On doing some due diligence on Constantine, I couldn't get much information. Since I have great regard for our website and some extraordinary contributions by members here, I thought it may be prudent to post a question about Constantine and his role in selecting books of Bible and in shaping the early Church . All views and information will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance and may the Lord's blessings and wisdom be with you ?
My apologies its not colonizing but Canonizing.

Constantine has always been a questionable figure in Christianity. Some believe he really became a Christian. But others do not. They say he just used Christianity for his political purposes. Whether he did or not, the Lord used him to relieve much of the persecution against Christians.

The draw back to that was the origin of the merger of church and state as Constantine would preside over several of the Church councils.

The question of Constantine's influence in determining the Canon of Scripture can be asked equally as well concerning the Councils. Did these councils determine what books were to be the Canon of Scripture? It all goes back to the question of what makes a writing or letter a member of the Canon.

I don't think Constantine would or could offer anything as to which books were to be identified. But he perhaps could pressure the Church into coming to a consensus concerning the Bible for unities sake. Unity is always a big factor and goal in politics.

The Bible is a miraculous Book. It's origin is equally miraculous. No council or man ever made a book of the Bible the Word of God. They simply recognized it. Each book carries it's own authority of inspiration from God. It's formation was impossible to resist.

Quantrill

Try creation.com use search type battle for Bible in early church.
You will get a scholarly article that demonstrates that Constantine's council did not determine what formed the Bible, but merely confirmed what had been established for some time as the books that made up the Bible.

Constantine has always been a questionable figure in Christianity. Some believe he really became a Christian. But others do not. They say he just used Christianity for his political purposes. Whether he did or not, the Lord used him to relieve much of the persecution against Christians.

The draw back to that was the origin of the merger of church and state as Constantine would preside over several of the Church councils.

The question of Constantine's influence in determining the Canon of Scripture can be asked equally as well concerning the Councils. Did these councils determine what books were to be the Canon of Scripture? It all goes back to the question of what makes a writing or letter a member of the Canon.

I don't think Constantine would or could offer anything as to which books were to be identified. But he perhaps could pressure the Church into coming to a consensus concerning the Bible for unities sake. Unity is always a big factor and goal in politics.

The Bible is a miraculous Book. It's origin is equally miraculous. No council or man ever made a book of the Bible the Word of God. They simply recognized it. Each book carries it's own authority of inspiration from God. It's formation was impossible to resist.

Quantrill
Thank you Q for the detailed/ informative reply. That's much appreciated ?

Try creation.com use search type battle for Bible in early church.
You will get a scholarly article that demonstrates that Constantine's council did not determine what formed the Bible, but merely confirmed what had been established for some time as the books that made up the Bible.
Thank you for pointing to the resource?? I will check it out

Back