Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What would you do, if you were Called by the Highest Authority....

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
As kids in school, being called up to the principle's office was rarely thought of as an honor, but was a sign you were in trouble. Later in life the same is kind of true if your boss calls you into his or her office, but sometimes it's not for a bad reason. If you were called by the president, the prime minister, or otherwise the leader of your nation, would you be as afraid of why you were called, excited and honored to meet the leader of your nation, or in general anticipation of what was going to happen?

Just a little to go on based on if you are called by authorities of mankind. But here's the real question. How would you think you would react if God called you, Jesus visited you, or even if an angel came to you with a message from God?

In my opinion the reaction of the people in the bible who've had this occure is something to consider. From Adam and Eve hiding, when God came, and only coming out when He said "where are you?" And from Saul who perscuted Christians before Jesus spoke to him, blinding him and Sending Him another direction. One reaction that I think is fair is fear. You've just been called up to the ultimate principle's office and either know what you've done wrong, or are worried about any number of things it could be. In Isaiah 6:5 this is Isaiah's first reaction. "It’s all over! I am doomed, for I am a sinful man. I have filthy lips, and I live among a people with filthy lips. Yet I have seen the King, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.” After An angel reassures Isaiah, his second reaction might be the best way to respond, but at least this first reaction is worth considering. If you were called up by God would you be afraid? If you read the first 5 chapters of Isaiah you will read one of God's many rebukes to Israel. And a rebuke from the highest authority would be something to fear, and to try and straighten your ways.

That brings up a second response. If God calls you and gives his decrees to settle your account and your sins, a good reaction is to repent of our sins. Be like the people that Jonah was sent to prophesy to. They were told of God's coming judgment and their destruction, and they mourned and repented. Though Jonah was angry of God's forgiveness, the response of the city of Nineveh cooled God's judgment, and they were spared.

A third response I've read is what I worry would be my response. Disbelief even to say, "God you must have the wrong person." In Luke 1:18, Zechariah (John the Baptist's father) was visited by an Angel to promise him a child. Zechariah's response was one of doubt, saying how can this be I am so old. This also seems to be one reaction Moses had when God called Him also, saying to God that he couldn't do what God ask of Him, he's the wrong person to choose. I hope anyone reading this will have a better reaction, but honestly it takes courage to believe God sometimes. Because what He says He will do, or what He tells us to do, are sometimes the things that seem impossible.

The last reply that I can think of is probably the best one, it's found in Isaiah 6:8. After an angel reassured Isaiah that he would be would be ok, God asked "Whom should I send as a messenger to this people? Who will go for us?” Isaiah responded in that vision, "Here I am. Send me."

Do you have any guesses of how you might react if God called you? Or those of you who have an account of God talking to you, do you remember your first few reactions? Who knows until it happens, if it ever does. Hopefully we all have the lessons of the bible learned. So that we don't act in doubt like John the baptist's father. Nor act by running from God's direction like Jonah did before he finally gave God's message to the people of Nineveh. Hopefully with humility, we will be sanctified, even if we are afraid. Or hopefully we will be courageous and brave, and say "here I am Lord."

I would humble myself and bow before Him and say "here I am Lord, let your will be done". That began back in 1997 when I first had an encounter with the Lord speaking verbally to me. Whether it was actually God or an angel it was still His instruction. Anytime the Lord has to correct me I accept it with a glad heart that I remain pleasing unto Him.

I don't know how I would react. That is scary, but I would have to rely on the Holy Spirit. If God calls us to do something we know He will work through us therefore we would be able to do it. I would have to remind myself of that.

I would humble myself and bow before Him and say "here I am Lord, let your will be done". That began back in 1997 when I first had an encounter with the Lord speaking verbally to me. Whether it was actually God or an angel it was still His instruction. Anytime the Lord has to correct me I accept it with a glad heart that I remain pleasing unto Him.

If you're willing to say. What was His instruction?

I don't know how I would react. That is scary, but I would have to rely on the Holy Spirit. If God calls us to do something we know He will work through us therefore we would be able to do it. I would have to remind myself of that.

I don't know how I'd react either. I hope I'd do ok. But
I have my doubts.

Do you have any guesses of how you might react if God called you? Or those of you who have an account of God talking to you, do you remember your first few reactions? Who knows until it happens, if it ever does. Hopefully we all have the lessons of the bible learned. So that we don't act in doubt like John the baptist's father. Nor act by running from God's direction like Jonah did before he finally gave God's message to the people of Nineveh. Hopefully with humility, we will be sanctified, even if we are afraid. Or hopefully we will be courageous and brave, and say "here I am Lord."

I have an account of God talking to me. I remember my reactions. It was audible like He was in the room with me. First, or maybe at the same time time that He began to speak the most powerful presence of God came into the room that I have ever felt before or since. He said Pray for your Brother (withheld) because he needs help. My reaction was one of curiosity and stupidness. I sort of did a Zachariah and questioned Him. I said, why what happened is he ok?...and the Lord did not like me questioning Him. I should have simply said, yes Lord, and obeyed.

He didn't say anything bout me questioning Him, but He did take on a tone with me. That same tone that parents use with their children that says, just do it and do it now...He said He needs help right now pray now for him. That tone scared me and I was like, yes Lord, and immediately went into prayer for the Brother. Then the presence was gone and I was sitting there still wondering what had happened to the Brother that he needed help. So I went online and sent him a private message on the forum and asked him what happened and told him what had happened, that the Lord told me to pray for him to get help.

He got back to a few hours later after he had returned home. He said he did need help that day and did get it. He was collapsing from a medical condition and suddenly a stranger wearing a suit was there and helped him, then he was gone. He said based on the time stamp of my private message to him, that was pretty much right then when it was going on and he needed the help. So it was real all right. But it turned out good for all involved. He got the help he needed, God got glorified, and I felt real good to have been allowed to participate in helping a Brother in Christ, and that I was not struck dumb or something for questioning the Lord!

If you're willing to say. What was His instruction?

I'll try to nutshell it. It was a time when I was contemplating suicide. I prayed to God and told Him if things did not change for me I was going to go through with it. While praying and pouring my heart out to the Lord I was overtaken by the Holy Spirit. As I laid there on the ground it was like dark clouds rolling over me, engulfing me. Like when a storm is coming and the clouds start rolling together. Then all of a sudden the brightest warmest light began to engulf me. It's then when I heard a voice speak to me. Not sure if it was an angel God sent to me or actually the voice of Jesus as all there was was a bright light.

Anyway, the voice was so comforting that all I could say is that I wanted to be with Jesus that I didn't want to live anymore. The voice told me that it was not my time yet and that God had greater plans for me. After saying that the voice disappeared and I just sat there for awhile trying take it all in.

About a year later being absorb in the word, God's plan came to be. I started dating this guy I met in church and God shortly united the two of us in marriage. We were both asked by the Pastor to be part of the prison ministry. We had to take state certified classes and got our Evangelist license and began to go into the local jail. God's plan was for me to take His word out into the world after He prepared me and I have been doing this ever since.

This is a very interesting thread. Very thought provoking. I like what people are saying too. Boy. this sure isn't what the church was talking about 30 years ago. It's like the church is changing from how it was before. Knowledge about God is being increased in the world! Just like scripture says it would in the last days.

Anyway, There is much talk about this subject, and more people are giving more testimonials of hearing God and more people seem to be inquiring, how do I hear the Lord's voice? Maybe we should touch on that a bit? I'll give my experience and thoughts on it. We all know that the Lord (Holy Spirit if you would) is a still small voice inside of you which speaks to your heart and it is not always easy to perceive this voice...

Or is it? As far as I am concerned, I do hear the still small voice many times, and also the Lord has spoken to me audibly, one time also. (I got challenged on this by a Brother one time. He made the point that we hear inside of our head so I could not have heard the voice over there in the room.) Ok. Point well taken, however, it was the most loudest that the Lord has ever spoken to me. It sounded audible. It was different than the still small voice. SO at least, it was, as if someone were right in the room talking to me. (He was.) There was no possible way that it was a thought of my own because I was doing something on the computer and the Lord interrupted me and spoke. He changed the subject that was in my mind at the time.

I have been making efforts to be able to hear the voice of the Lord more. It must be an acquired skill where you get better at it. Because I am getting better at it. When the still small voice speaks to me it is not like someone is in the room talking to me, but rather like, a quiet thought that "occurs to me" (Lol). I figured that was the Lord because He said, those who seek me, WILL find me. So I latch onto that thoughtand embrace it, staying focused on the Lord. It's like tuning my spirit to the frequency of the Kingdom, then the words become clearer and more easily heard. It becomes a train of thought so to speak. A stream of consciousness...from the Lord! (And why wouldn't it be? For there is the mind of Christ within us. Christ within us, just like it says!) It is true.

He is within me and beside me. I speak to Him directly as if my best buddy was standing right beside me, because He is! I like to speak and pray audibly to the Lord and not so much inside my head. It helps me to stay focused upon the Lord.
(Remember Peter, walking on water. As soon as he stopped focusing upon the Lord...he began to sink.)

I wish I had more to say about hearing from God, but honestly I don't know what is from Him and what is from me. In my mind there are two worries. One is attributing something to God that is not from Him, which could be a stumbling block that lasts for a while. The other opposing worry is to have something from God and not recognize it, which is probabley what I do, or what I would do. I know God from a feeling He's given me a few times. Love and peace a few times, sorrow at one time when I was younger and questioned if He was real (by then I should have already known without a doubt), and a few prayers that I recognize God answered or responded to. Those fill me with hope that I cling to. With that my hope is that I am part of His flock. And my hope is that He leads my thoughts even if I am not aware it is Him.

But as far as I can tell, for hearing God, I don't know. Once might be the only time I know of, and I still wonder if it was just me. Other times that could be from Him could be just my hopes or my fears reflecting as if they can speak on their own accord.

Hearing from God is something I hope for, and probably fear a little. Fear due to reasons like not sure why I haven't realized who's voice is who's. Or if there is a reason I don't hear Him due to my sins, my focus, dovotion, or a reason like "be careful what you ask for," and God keeping me from a burden and responsibility that the prophets shared in. All reasons come down the reasoning similar to not being a true Christian, or not among His flock.

Instead I hope on others who say they've heard from God. Hope that maybe one day I will know God's voice too, and glad that he still talks to some of us in this era. Hope to know what's from Him and what's from me. Or just hear Him in any way because it might be that I never have yet.

Edward, if you have any insight on hearing God, I'm all ears. I read a lot of K2Christ's posts for the same reason.

Due to the uncertainty factor of knowing God's voice, and probabley any doubt in me to stifle me from hearing Him, what I've spent my efforts to is reading or understanding the bible. Letting that be my foundation. More then experience, theology, or philosophical views, if the bible says it then it must be reliable and worth considering. The lasting question though is bible study enough? Or does it still lack the Holy Spirit. Become a Pharasee that says they know the truth but are from from it.

Sorry for the rambling...

Last edited:
As kids in school, being called up to the principle's office was rarely thought of as an honor, but was a sign you were in trouble. Later in life the same is kind of true if your boss calls you into his or her office, but sometimes it's not for a bad reason. If you were called by the president, the prime minister, or otherwise the leader of your nation, would you be as afraid of why you were called, excited and honored to meet the leader of your nation, or in general anticipation of what was going to happen?

Just a little to go on based on if you are called by authorities of mankind. But here's the real question. How would you think you would react if God called you, Jesus visited you, or even if an angel came to you with a message from God?

In my opinion the reaction of the people in the bible who've had this occure is something to consider. From Adam and Eve hiding, when God came, and only coming out when He said "where are you?" And from Saul who perscuted Christians before Jesus spoke to him, blinding him and Sending Him another direction. One reaction that I think is fair is fear. You've just been called up to the ultimate principle's office and either know what you've done wrong, or are worried about any number of things it could be. In Isaiah 6:5 this is Isaiah's first reaction. "It’s all over! I am doomed, for I am a sinful man. I have filthy lips, and I live among a people with filthy lips. Yet I have seen the King, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies.” After An angel reassures Isaiah, his second reaction might be the best way to respond, but at least this first reaction is worth considering. If you were called up by God would you be afraid? If you read the first 5 chapters of Isaiah you will read one of God's many rebukes to Israel. And a rebuke from the highest authority would be something to fear, and to try and straighten your ways.

That brings up a second response. If God calls you and gives his decrees to settle your account and your sins, a good reaction is to repent of our sins. Be like the people that Jonah was sent to prophesy to. They were told of God's coming judgment and their destruction, and they mourned and repented. Though Jonah was angry of God's forgiveness, the response of the city of Nineveh cooled God's judgment, and they were spared.

A third response I've read is what I worry would be my response. Disbelief even to say, "God you must have the wrong person." In Luke 1:18, Zechariah (John the Baptist's father) was visited by an Angel to promise him a child. Zechariah's response was one of doubt, saying how can this be I am so old. This also seems to be one reaction Moses had when God called Him also, saying to God that he couldn't do what God ask of Him, he's the wrong person to choose. I hope anyone reading this will have a better reaction, but honestly it takes courage to believe God sometimes. Because what He says He will do, or what He tells us to do, are sometimes the things that seem impossible.

The last reply that I can think of is probably the best one, it's found in Isaiah 6:8. After an angel reassured Isaiah that he would be would be ok, God asked "Whom should I send as a messenger to this people? Who will go for us?” Isaiah responded in that vision, "Here I am. Send me."

I would imagine I wouldn't be able to look at Him in all His glory and holiness. He would have to enable me to. On top of that I would be filled with fear.

Each night when I pray and confess my sin, I don't always remember every little wrong thing that I may or may not have done at the end of the day. So I usually just say: "and anything else I may have missed the mark on: I own it. If you say I did it, then I did it." So I would think I wouldn't try to deny it. As for whether or not I would enthusiastically say "HERE I AM!" I couldn't say lol. But I wouldn't refuse to do what He commanded.

Edward, if you have any insight on hearing God, I'm all ears. I read a lot of K2Christ's posts for the same reason.

Well, listen to your gut. Your mind thinks, but so does your gut. You ever get a gut feeling about something that you should do ro not do? Most of the time hearing God is as easy as listening to our conscience. He speaks to us through our conscience very much.

Most people seem to shy away from, intuition, premonitions, gut feelings and so forth. We've been taught that, it's only your imagination dismiss it as nothing. Of course they taught us in that way because there is where we do hear God most of the time.

It's sort of the opposite of the thinking logical carnal mind. Spooky, unseen, but very real and very true. Did you know that your stomach has more brain cells in it than your brain does? it is more than a feeling. Try to learn to be able to grab onto it when it comes to you and receive it, approach it within yourself. Does that make sense?

Well, listen to your gut. Your mind thinks, but so does your gut. You ever get a gut feeling about something that you should do ro not do? Most of the time hearing God is as easy as listening to our conscience. He speaks to us through our conscience very much.

Most people seem to shy away from, intuition, premonitions, gut feelings and so forth. We've been taught that, it's only your imagination dismiss it as nothing. Of course they taught us in that way because there is where we do hear God most of the time.

It's sort of the opposite of the thinking logical carnal mind. Spooky, unseen, but very real and very true. Did you know that your stomach has more brain cells in it than your brain does? it is more than a feeling. Try to learn to be able to grab onto it when it comes to you and receive it, approach it within yourself. Does that make sense?

I think so. Hopefully with time, I'll try it and be able to listen to it better. Thanks.

Back