Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Where Is the Lake of Fire?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
OK Orion, excluding Dr. Martin's new creation theory and his UR slant on what takes place after Revelation.21:5, what's the joke? :-? His meteorological and archaeological background is well known in both the Biblical and secular "world".

I skimmed through the referenced link, and, IMO, a lot of it is his imagination! and cannot be backed up by the Scriptures!

As for the location of the lake of fire, since we are not told where it is, then God doesn't want us to waste time to speculate.

When it happens, the citizens of the earth will know.

Bick

Bick said:
I skimmed through the referenced link, and, IMO, a lot of it is his imagination! and cannot be backed up by the Scriptures!

Me: I think in cases like this, historical and cultural references back up scripture more than scripture could back up the historical references.

As for the location of the lake of fire, since we are not told where it is, then God doesn't want us to waste time to speculate.

Me: Now you're taking all the fun out of extra-Biblical studying. ;-) Besides, I'm certain the folks of the 1st. century; you know, the actual audience of Revelation, would know exactly what all of this meant and where it was located.

When it happens, the citizens of the earth will know.

Me: :onfire:

Bick

People, I'm not dogmatic 'bout this; I'm not dismissing it either.

1. Is God, being omnipresent, even in Hell right now? If you say 'yes', then His presence is there, and one can find hope in God even in Hell. If you say 'no', then God isn't omnipresent.

2. When the "new heavens and new earth" is created, will a "new hell" be created as well?

All that to say, what would be the point of having Hell (if there even is such a place) on THIS planet? I find the notion ridiculous.

Orion said:
1. Is God, being omnipresent, even in Hell right now? If you say 'yes', then His presence is there, and one can find hope in God even in Hell. If you say 'no', then God isn't omnipresent.

2. When the "new heavens and new earth" is created, will a "new hell" be created as well?

All that to say, what would be the point of having Hell (if there even is such a place) on THIS planet? I find the notion ridiculous.
Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Does that answer your quastion? (I get the feeling it doesn't :-? )

Define omnipresent. Spectulation... It is "possible" that God is omnipresent in this realm and in His Heavenly realm, but that doesn't exclude the idea that He can create other realms where He is not omnipresent.

Orion said:

Can God be omnipresent but choose not to be in certain areas?

It was Satan that went to God to ask permission to sift Job - not the otherway around.

aLoneVoice said:
Can God be omnipresent but choose not to be in certain areas?

It was Satan that went to God to ask permission to sift Job - not the otherway around.
*slaps forehead*

Good one. :)

Doesn't "omnipresent" mean being present everywhere at once? If God chooses not to be in a specific location, then that means that God wouldn't be omnipresent. God wouldn't be everywhere.

Omnipresent is the ability to be everywhere at once. It doesn't imply God has no choice but to be omnipresent.

God is sovereign, but that doesn't mean HE exerts HIS sovereignty each and every moment. HE does have a permissive will too.

NO God in a box, please. 8-)

Anyways, we are veering off course and off topic. :-?

Yes we did. But I saw a connection.

"The ability to be everywhere at once" . . . . . seems like a (forgive me for lack of a better term) a cop out. I say that with as much respect as I can muster.

I just don't see "the lake of fire" as a real place, but more of an idealogy that may have gained influence in the early church, perhaps catholicism, and the age of Dante's Inferno.

Orion said:

"The ability to be everywhere at once" . . . . . seems like a (forgive me for lack of a better term) a cop out. I say that with as much respect as I can muster.

I just don't see "the lake of fire" as a real place, but more of an idealogy that may have gained influence in the early church, perhaps catholicism, and the age of Dante's Inferno.

Let's pray that you don't find out that you are wrong huh.. What a horrible deception if you are wrong..

Orion said:

No cop out at all. It's actually Scriptural. Scripture has places where HE reveals His omnipresence and places where HE chooses not to be omnipresent.

I just don't see "the lake of fire" as a real place, but more of an ideology that may have gained influence in the early church, perhaps catholicism, and the age of Dante's Inferno.

Dante was WAY after Revelation was written. Hey, I showed evidence that it DID exist and that the people of 1st. century Biblical times would have known exactly what Revelation and the Lake of Fire would have meant... to them. We 2,000 years later, have a very hard time grasping 1st century imagery. Please prove to us that Martin's info is wrong.

Orion, try going back to basics and study scripture from a historical perspective. You may find it more rewarding and discover things you never knew.

Hey vic, can you point me to some scriptures that show where there are times when God chooses not to be present? I'm curious to read them. I will look them up and leave this topic to the original thought, where Hell is.

Thanks.

Atonement said:
Let's pray that you don't find out that you are wrong huh.. What a horrible deception if you are wrong..

I'm a Christian, Atonement. I don't believe that me having such thoughts about "Hell's existence" is going to cause me to go there because of it. If I'm wrong, . . I'm wrong and I'll tell you that you were right when I see you in Heaven. I'm sure there will ba many people in Heaven that will have to admit, "Well, I really missed that one!"

Orion said:
Hey vic, can you point me to some scriptures that show where there are times when God chooses not to be present? I'm curious to read them. I will look them up and leave this topic to the original thought, where Hell is.

Thanks.
np, it's worth the minor sidetracking of the topic.

Three quickies that come to mind:

The Garden -

Gen 3:9 And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
Gen 3:10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
Gen 3:11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?

The Tower of Babel -

Gen 11:5 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.

The Cross-

Mat 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Oh, there is Genesis 18:21 too.

Back