Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Where was the water to baptize the Ethiopian eunuch?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Cyberseeker

The book of Acts recounts the baptism of the Ethiopian eunuch following a revival in Samaria with Philip the evangelist.

Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, “Go south to the road—the desert road—that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” (Acts 8:26)

So, the encounter is located on a desert road between Jerusalem and Gaza. The narrative suggests that it happened somewhat further along the road than Jerusalem because Philip met a traveling chariot and ran with it before being invited up. Then their conversation included the Eunuch’s question and Philip’s explanation. It would not have been brief because the conversation began with Isaiah’s prophecy and ended with Jesus being the ‘Son of God.’ So, we can fairly assume a pool of water was found some miles along the desert road.

As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, “Look, here is water. What can stand in the way of my being baptized?” And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. When they came up out of the water … (Acts 8:36-39)

So, my question is, “Where might it have been?” Is there a good water spring or wadi between Jerusalem and Gaza?

Philip told him the Gospel of Jesus and the Ethiopian asked to be baptized. They went down into the water traditionally thought to be the Dhirweh fountain near Halhul and Philip baptized him. It's located southwest of Jerusalem near Gaza.

NatGeoPalestineMap.jpeg

ein-el-dirweh-.jpg

Yes Ive heard of the Dhirweh fountain but it shows on maps as fairly close to Jerusalem to my mind. I was searching through topographical maps and find a 'Lachish stream' that starts in the Hebron mountains then flows out to the Mediterranean sea. I can't get information if it goes dry in summer though.

I noticed it was close to Gaza. I did find one pic of the fountain being full but forgot to save it. You can google it.

Back