Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who likes short haircuts? poll

Who likes to get a short haircut?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

farouk

Okay so a former coworker of mine used to talk about 'short-haired baptists'. It sounded an interesting term, although I wasn't quite sure what the nuances of the phrase might imply. :chin

But anyway, who likes having short haircuts, gentlemen, ladies?

Poll also...

"Short haired Baptists"? LOL. Don't think I heard that one before. Of course there are lots of Christians from other denominations too that are of the opinion that God requires short hair on men. I'm not of that opinion, but a lot are.

Hey, why'd ya put a smiley face after the "yes" on the poll. Isn't that kind of influencing people to pick that choice?

I wouldn't like my hair super short, but shoulder length is good. My hair is hard to keep brushed, so shoulder length means my job is a lot easier.

"Short haired Baptists"? LOL. Don't think I heard that one before. Of course there are lots of Christians from other denominations too that are of the opinion that God requires short hair on men. I'm not of that opinion, but a lot are.

Hey, why'd ya put a smiley face after the "yes" on the poll. Isn't that kind of influencing people to pick that choice?

Not consciously...

I had long hair in high school and my first year of college, after which I enlisted to avoid the draft and wound up in Vietnam anyway. Then again, I stuck around for 20 years, so I must have liked it. I still wear my hair in a military cut. One of the reasons I love my fiance is she is the first woman who hasn't "encouraged" me to "let it grow." :biggrin

I had long hair in high school and my first year of college, after which I enlisted to avoid the draft and wound up in Vietnam anyway. Then again, I stuck around for 20 years, so I must have liked it. I still wear my hair in a military cut. One of the reasons I love my fiance is she is the first woman who hasn't "encouraged" me to "let it grow." :biggrin

this: ty! so she likes it the way it is, then? and is hers similar or different, maybe?

I think men should look like men, and women should look like women, in todays weird and perverse world, mimicing transgendered and deceived people leads people astray. people spend way to much time concerned with such vanity issues, keeping ones hair clean and somewhat neat is all that is required

I think men should look like men, and women should look like women, in todays weird and perverse world, mimicing transgendered and deceived people leads people astray. people spend way to much time concerned with such vanity issues, keeping ones hair clean and somewhat neat is all that is required

i) It should be obvious that this was intended as a fairly lighthearted thread.

ii) When many men today have a shaved look, what might once have been regarded as short hair on a women does still look long in comparison.

this: ty! so she likes it the way it is, then? and is hers similar or different, maybe?
Yes, she likes my short hair. She says it suits my personality. Don't know if that means she sees me as military strict, or what. Hmm ... :biggrin

Her hair is shoulder length. I like it like that. As a nurse, she has to put it up and out of the way, but she likes it long, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, she like my short hair. She says it suits my personality. Don't know if that means she sees me as military strict, or what. Hmm ... :biggrin

Her hair is shoulder length. I like it like that. As a nurse, she has to put it up and out of the way, but she likes it long, too.

this: Oh well...I guess that many nurses, and with many women in the military, they either like to or are almost obliged to cut it short, too, or keep it tied back, and so it can be kind of short without being 'military strict'... :chin

I wouldn't like my hair super short, ...

questdriven:

Just looking at the matter broadly and theoretically, now, I guess that what might be regarded and defined as 'super short' has altered a lot over the years, back and forth, almost. For example, by the standards of the 1920s, a Louise Brooks cut or an Eton Crop would not have been regarded as unusually short. And today, since a lot of men go completely shaved, a graduated bob or a stylish grandmother's pixie cut would not, either, in comparison, be seen as unusually short, either.

(Two cents'. :chin )

Blessings.

I have had long hair(just below my shoulders) and a beard. Now I'm mostly clean shaven and when I get what's left of my hair cut, it's to about a 1/4 of an inch. Funny, I had always said that I would not have a comb over, and then one morning after my shower, when I had had a bad nights sleep, I was standing in front of the mirror and was talking my self through combing my hair and telling my self, part here and comb over. Part and...comb...over?So I just started getting it cut short.

Since this "poll" was apparently initiated as a discussion generator and is NOT a count gatherer I will add my 2 cents worth. As Christians, how we dress or mark up or "adorn" or maintain our bodies should first be a matter of how does God want us to do such. What does He say in His inerrant and Holy Word about hair?

"Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but if a woman has long hair it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. If anyone wants to be contentious about this we have no other practice-nor do the churches of God." 1 Cor. 11:14-16

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes." 1 Pt 3:3 (1 Tim 2:9)

The only case I know that long hair on a man was OK, by God, was when it was a commitment of a special vow of separation unto the Lord, God Jehovah (Explained in Num ch 6) of being a Nazarite, as Sampson was. That is why when the seductress rendered Sampson with a "haircut" it was a breaking of Sampson's vow and hence the loss of his strength. Remember, that even after they poked his eyes out and had him chained to the columns, in his "haircut" he cried out to the Lord in penitence and repentance and the Lord restored his strength and he collapsed the building that he and all of his heathen conspirators were in. It wasn't the hair which gave Sampson the strength. It was what "not putting a razor to the head" represented; a special personal vow of separation unto the Lord.

Jim:

The opposite also happened.

In Numbers 6, women were included in the Nazarite vow provisions. So participating women would also have been commanded to shave their heads.

Back