Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who made God?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

OzSpen

C F Martin D28 acoustic guitar
To my brothers and sisters in Christ,

I live in a secular, godless society where people deny the existence of God.

Too often they can't get to the basics and ask: You talk so much about God and his evidence in creation, but who made God?

If you were talking to a secular person in your country, how would you answer the question: Who made God?

Blessings,
Oz

You and I are made from the Earth. We are the dirt in a way, made from the elements from the earth. But God is not made out of dirt. No more then a potter is made of clay like the vases the potter would create.

The question "who made God" from our perspective is like a clay pot asking what oven did the potter come out of.

There is no answer on Earth for what created God, because God created the earth and everything in it. He also created the heavens and everything in them.

They might not accept this answer, but what alternative is there but to stand by the truth, even if it isn't accepted, perhaps hearing it and seeing you not budge on the stance might make them waiver enough to someday consider God more and be saved.

All we can do is plant the seeds. God is in charge of the rest.

Too often they can't get to the basics and ask: You talk so much about God and his evidence in creation, but who made God?

If you were talking to a secular person in your country, how would you answer the question: Who made God?

Blessings,
Oz
You can only describe what we understand. To make something you have to know what it is and what it is not.
We cannot describe either, so have no means to answer or know what this means.
Eternal means outside time, which is both God and without beginning or end. But where does one begin and the other end.
Existence is defined as action, doing something that can be defined as happening. But without space and time how can anything happen?
Our language and reference points stop here because all we know is through observation and theory.....

You can only describe what we understand. To make something you have to know what it is and what it is not.
We cannot describe either, so have no means to answer or know what this means.
Eternal means outside time, which is both God and without beginning or end. But where does one begin and the other end.
Existence is defined as action, doing something that can be defined as happening. But without space and time how can anything happen?
Our language and reference points stop here because all we know is through observation and theory.....

Peter,

Are you saying the Christian has no rational answer to the question: Who made God?

You say existence is defined as action. Since God made space and time, isn't this an example of God in action?

If 'eternal means outside time', are you saying that a person cannot experience eternal life that begins in time?

How's the London weather? I have a friend who lives in Sloth, Berkshire.

Oz

Who made God?
Depending on the reason for asking it is a good question.
But if all they are doing is seeking to score points, show that you don't know what your talking about then.
One does not seek to answer that question but ask one of your own.
Most atheist are materialist, they deny the reality of the immaterial.
So one asks them. How is it that they are able to reason, use immaterial logic when the immaterial does not exist?
Other examples of the immaterial are maths, morals and, beauty.
Once they accept that the immaterial does exist one can move on to the kalam.... logical arguement for a creator.
Everything that has a begining has a cause.
The universe had a begining.
Therefore is a cause for the universe.

If they are genuinely I retested start with this.

Based on the evidence in the bible God has no beginning and no end. He is infinite and eternal. The reason we feeble humans are unable to understand this on our own, without divine revelation, is that we do have a beginning (birth) and end (death). Even the universe has a beginning (creation) and end (Jesus coming again).

Honestly, we humans will not be able to fully, or even partially, understand this until we are quickened by the Holy Spirit and He reveals the Truth to us through faith.

I think honesty is the best policy. We don't know

Christians often engage atheists and fall for their tactics and try to answer everything in a scientific way. Its not how to engage them.

I might release a thread soon about atheists and how best to handle them

Depending on the reason for asking it is a good question.
But if all they are doing is seeking to score points, show that you don't know what your talking about then.
One does not seek to answer that question but ask one of your own.
Most atheist are materialist, they deny the reality of the immaterial.
So one asks them. How is it that they are able to reason, use immaterial logic when the immaterial does not exist?
Other examples of the immaterial are maths, morals and, beauty.
Once they accept that the immaterial does exist one can move on to the kalam.... logical arguement for a creator.
Everything that has a begining has a cause.
The universe had a begining.
Therefore is a cause for the universe.

If they are genuinely I retested start with this.

A student in grade 6 (age 11.5 years) asked me this question when I was having lunch with the family. This is no theoretical issue for me.

As for the Kalam Cosmological Argument which William Lane Craig uses and promotes, that is an apologetic for the existence of God. It is not an apologetic for the origin of God - in my understanding.

Oz

Blessings,
Oz

I would respond...

Who made the earth and the sun, the ocean and the stars?

They would then reply with one of two answers:

I don’t know.

or

God

JLB

You talk so much about God and his evidence in creation

The question that the non theist actually has is why do you BELIEVE that anything in existence (what you term creation) is evidence for your god? I have been asked this very question many times. Many of these people honestly do not see why you or I would conclude that existence is in any way evidence for our particular creator deity.

Based on the evidence in the bible God has no beginning and no end. He is infinite and eternal.

Using to Bible to bolster points regarding one's faith is only impactful when it has been demonstrated to the person you're speaking to that the Bible is a reliable and thoroughly true document. It must first be shown to be what believers claim it is. Believers have a burden of proof to show that the Bible is the word of God before we can use it to back anything we assert about God.

All this said as believers, the first thing that must be done is to provide evidence that what we are basing our faith on is in fact reliable. This step CANNOT be overlooked. What I've encountered dealing with atheists I've really engaged with is somewhat personal in nature. To them, they aren't directly rejecting God (as to them God doesn't exist), they are rejecting what WE AS BELIEVERS ASSERT as true about God and His will. They basically think the believer is full of it, disingenuous, deceived, or even delusional.

To get through to the open atheist (cause all are not open, many are antagonists), we must show them our how and whys. This requires the believer to really know the Bible number one, and number two, to be able to show how and why we know/have concluded that the Bible is the Word of God. This knowledge must be demonstrable or they will likely find it inadmissible.

I have personally tried to use prophecy such as Daniel 2, 7, and 9 to start building my case for the Bible's inspiration.

I would respond...

I've seen this approach tried and the responses I've usually seen are the 'sciency' type that attempts to explain how gravity and such works to form a solar system or they respond with question of "How do we know it was a who that was responsible?".

Overwhelming, I see atheists asking the "you do you know" and "how can you prove" questions. Based on this, make take is to approach them with what we can show and demonstrate first and use the credibility build by those demonstration to then present the parts of our faith that a poster above described as immaterial.

The question that the non theist actually has is why do you BELIEVE that anything in existence (what you term creation) is evidence for your god? I have been asked this very question many times. Many of these people honestly do not see why you or I would conclude that existence is in any way evidence for our particular creator deity.

Using to Bible to bolster points regarding one's faith is only impactful when it has been demonstrated to the person you're speaking to that the Bible is a reliable and thoroughly true document. It must first be shown to be what believers claim it is. Believers have a burden of proof to show that the Bible is the word of God before we can use it to back anything we assert about God.

All this said as believers, the first thing that must be done is to provide evidence that what we are basing our faith on is in fact reliable. This step CANNOT be overlooked. What I've encountered dealing with atheists I've really engaged with is somewhat personal in nature. To them, they aren't directly rejecting God (as to them God doesn't exist), they are rejecting what WE AS BELIEVERS ASSERT as true about God and His will. They basically think the believer is full of it, disingenuous, deceived, or even delusional.

To get through to the open atheist (cause all are not open, many are antagonists), we must show them our how and whys. This requires the believer to really know the Bible number one, and number two, to be able to show how and why we know/have concluded that the Bible is the Word of God. This knowledge must be demonstrable or they will likely find it inadmissible.

I have personally tried to use prophecy such as Daniel 2, 7, and 9 to start building my case for the Bible's inspiration.
Personally, I would not engage in much of a discussion. Reason being is that my knowledge of what is True has been imparted to me through the Holy Spirit and supported by scripture. It is almost a pointless exercise to try and get someone who has not been quickened by the Holy Spirit to believe anything about God and the bible. That is not to say I can't plant a seed, but God will provide the knowledge once the Holy Spirit has opened the individual's eyes.

Personally, I would not engage in much of a discussion. Reason being is that my knowledge of what is True has been imparted to me through the Holy Spirit and supported by scripture. It is almost a pointless exercise to try and get someone who has not been quickened by the Holy Spirit to believe anything about God and the bible.

I know this to not be the case as I has been a witness to hearts and minds being converted. We have examples of Jesus, Paul, and many others in the New Testament engaging and reasoning with those that did not share in the faith. As faithful believers are we not instructed contend for the faith and be ready to give an answer for the faith that is in us? Even in Isaiah 43:26 God mentioned debate and argue as these methods can have an effects.
Almost means there is a chance, so giving up when there is a chance isn't a viable option if the goal is to win souls before it's everlasting too late.

I would respond...

They would then reply with one of two answers:

I don’t know.

or

God

JLB

And I would ask you: Who is this God you talk about and who made him/her?

Back