Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why are the scriptures NOT sufficient "for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness?" - 2 Timothy 3:16-17

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Why do some people think the scriptures are NOT sufficient "for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness?" - 2 Timothy 3:16 BSB

What completeness will you lack if you rely solely on the authority of scripture to be fully equipped for every good work?

17so that the man of God may be complete, fully equipped for every good work. - 2 Timothy 3:17 BSB

I'm bored so I will play ..

What completeness will you lack if you rely solely on the authority of scripture to be fully equipped for every good work?
1) You lack the working of the Spirit in you.
1 Cor. 2:14 But the natural [unbelieving] man does not accept the things [the teachings and revelations] of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness [absurd and illogical] to him; and he is incapable of understanding them, because they are spiritually discerned and appreciated, [and he is unqualified to judge spiritual matters].

2) You lack the abolishing of the flesh's evil cravings (Roman 7:18)

Therefore ...
Scripture + 'the Spirit's indwelling' - desires of 'the flesh' = completeness to rely on scripture to be fully equiped for every good work

1 Cor. 2:14 But the natural [unbelieving] man does not accept the things [the teachings and revelations] of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness [absurd and illogical] to him; and he is incapable of understanding them, because they are spiritually discerned and appreciated, [and he is unqualified to judge spiritual matters].

Therefore ...
Scripture + 'the Spirit's indwelling' - desires of 'the flesh' = completeness to rely on scripture to be fully equiped for every good work
Okay, dumb answer.

Serious replies only, please.

The scriptures are sufficient. It's man that's confused, driven by his own preconceived notions and ideas instead of relying on the scriptures and what they say. Hence, division, denominationalism, and confusion.

I think 🤔 it’s the appeal of adding to or revising or recreating or…

On and on and on. Human nature as other’s point out to create a faith that suits each of us rather than learn to accept believe apply and obey.

I’ve done my fair share. Jesus saves!

Why do some people think the scriptures are NOT sufficient "for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness?" - 2 Timothy 3:16 BSB

17so that the man of God may be complete, fully equipped for every good work. - 2 Timothy 3:17 BSB

Well, I don't know that Fastfredy0 is totally wrong.

Can the Scriptures replace the Holy Spirit and his convicting, spiritually-regenerating, illuminating, strengthening, comforting, purifying work in the believer? (John 16:8; Titus 3:5; 1 Corinthians 2:10-16; Ephesians 3:16; Romans 8:13; 2 Corinthians 1:3-5, Galatians 5:22-23, etc.) Who brings alive the word of God to the heart and mind of any individual, revealing its profound, eternal depths to them, but the Spirit? Who brings to remembrance the word of God, convicting, strengthening and teaching the believer in their walk with God? (John 14:26) As Bible-knowledgeable atheists, Jews and Muslims have demonstrated to me, without the Holy Spirit, God's word is just another book full of semi-historical myth and esoteric religious mumbo-jumbo.

Well, I don't know that Fastfredy0 is totally wrong.

Can the Scriptures replace the Holy Spirit and his convicting, spiritually-regenerating, illuminating, strengthening, comforting, purifying work in the believer? (John 16:8; Titus 3:5; 1 Corinthians 2:10-16; Ephesians 3:16; Romans 8:13; 2 Corinthians 1:3-5, Galatians 5:22-23, etc.) Who brings alive the word of God to the heart and mind of any individual, revealing its profound, eternal depths to them, but the Spirit? Who brings to remembrance the word of God, convicting, strengthening and teaching the believer in their walk with God? (John 14:26) As Bible-knowledgeable atheists, Jews and Muslims have demonstrated to me, without the Holy Spirit, God's word is just another book full of semi-historical myth and esoteric religious mumbo-jumbo.
I think it's a given that we're talking about the sufficiency of scripture to the believer who by virtue of belonging to Christ has the Spirit. Paul is talking about the "man of God" in 2 Timothy 3:16-17.

Last edited:

Therefore ...
Okay, I apologize.
I read your post too quickly on my little phone screen and I thought you were attacking me. I got on the defensive too quickly. Sorry. :crying

Let's make a fresh start knowing that Paul is referring to the scriptures making the 'man of God' complete and fully equipped for every good work:

What completeness will you (man of God) lack if you rely solely on the authority of scripture to be fully equipped for every good work?

Sometimes..,

We spot it in other denominations. Pentecostal believers are a personal example. Some things I’ve heard of seem harmless but there’s a ritual and a special vocabulary to it and…?

Folk magic of sorts? Is that too judgmental?

Okay, I apologize.
I read your post too quickly on my little phone screen and I thought you were attacking me. I got on the defensive too quickly. Sorry. :crying
Not a problem. Takes a BIG MAN to apologize. Thanks. Appreciated.

The Sufficiency of Scripture (sola Scriptura) means that Scripture contained all the words of God he intended his people to have at each stage of redemptive history, and that it now contains everything we need for salvation (2 Timothy 3:15), for trusting him perfectly, and for obeying him perfectly (2 Timothy 3:16-17). It is by Scripture alone (Deuteronomy 4:2; Deuteronomy 12:32; Proverbs 30:5-6: Revelation 22:18-19) that we are to search for God’s words to us. Author unknown

Last edited:
The Sufficiency of Scripture tells us we should be encouraged that everything God wants to tell us about a doctrine or situation is in Scripture (Deuteronomy 29:29).

The Sufficiency of Scripture tells us we
are to add nothing to Scripture and consider no other writings of equal value to Scripture.

The Sufficiency of Scripture tells us that God does not require us to believe anything about himself or his redemptive work that is not found in Scripture for God has caused to be recorded in Scripture everything that we need to know about Jesus’ words and deeds in order to trust and obey him perfectly.

The Sufficiency of Scripture tells us that no modern revelations from God are to be placed on a level equal to Scripture in authority.

The Sufficiency of Scripture tells us that nothing is sin that is not forbidden by Scripture either explicitly or by implication. (Example: Roman Catholic’s opposition to birth control)

The Sufficiency of Scripture tells us that nothing is required of us by God that is not commanded in Scripture either explicitly or by implication.

The Sufficiency of Scripture tells us that in our doctrinal and ethical teaching we should emphasize what Scripture emphasizes and be content with what God has told us in Scripture. It is characteristic of many cults that they emphasize obscure portions or teaching of Scripture. Example: baptism of the dead (
1 Corinthians 15:29)

Author Unknown

It is sufficient for those purposes, I think where people get off track is applying scripture to literally every facet of life. The Bible doesn't say to brush my teeth twice daily, but it's still considered good practice.
The Bible does say to take care of my body, however. That would include my teeth. Still, we end up using science, experience, whatever else, etc in addition to scripture for these daily practices.

Another thing is while scripture is sufficient, we need other tools at times to help us interpret scripture. Sometimes scripture reading is tied to an understanding of history, or sometimes we need to understand something about the original language to actually understand the text.

Another thing is while scripture is sufficient, we need other tools at times to help us interpret scripture. Sometimes scripture reading is tied to an understanding of history, or sometimes we need to understand something about the original language to actually understand the text.
Surely that is true. But isn't it still the sole authority and sufficiency of scripture that is being served?

Besides God given gifts to various people, and various historical facts needed to understand scripture, what do those who resist sola scriptura think we need in addition to the scriptures that the scriptures themselves lack?

Back