Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why do Trinitarians think Jesus is God? (From a Biblical Unitarian)

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
My study of Sacred Scripture has shown me that Jesus never claimed to be God nor did any of the Apostles or anyone in ancient Israel think that the Messiah would be God. But I'll explain some verses later in this post with the character limit that I have.

I mean I know Jesus is called "god" but it must be understood in the secondary sense. In the Hebrew culture and language the term "god" for them didn't always mean what we think when we think of the word "god" and it was used on a much wider spectrum. The Hebrew words usually used for God in the OT were "elohim," "el," or "eloah"-all which mean a mighty one or a master/ruler or a great one or something of that nature and it didn't always necessarily mean what we think of when we use the word "god." All the judges and spiritual leaders of ancient Israel were called elohim (see Exodus 21:6 in Hebrew). Abraham was called an elohim in Genesis 23:6 which many translations translate as "mighty one" or "mighty prince." This Hebrew thinking is reflected by the Jewish Apostles where even Satan was called by the Apostle Paul the "god of this age" in 2 Corinthians 4:4. And the obvious meaning of that is that Satan is the master and mighty one of this current age since he is controlling mankind through sin. The Babylonian king was called an "el" in Ezekiel 31:11 which is almost always translated in this verse as "mighty one" or "ruler." The Trinitarian bias of most translators can be clearly seen by comparing Isaiah 9:6 (el = “God”) with Ezekiel 31:11 (el = “ruler” or "mighty one"). If calling the Messiah "el" makes him God, then the Babylonian king would be God also. You were either called "god" if you represented God or you were called "god" if you were a "mighty one" or a "master/ruler" which is what "god" meant to the Hebrews. Jesus even points out the fact in John chapter 10 verse 34 that the Jews were called gods and he actually quotes Psalm 82 which was understood to be spoken by God, who sits in judgment on the judges and magistrates whom He has appointed, and gives the name of “gods” (elohim) as representing Himself. And if the judges and rulers of ancient Israel were called "god" you can bet that the King Messiah who has been given all authority in heaven and on earth will also be called "god."

Jesus never displays the characteristics of God in the Almighty sense. James 1:13 says that God cannot be tempted of evil yet Jesus was tempted of evil. Luke 2:52 says that Jesus grew in wisdom and stature with God and man. God can't grow in stature and wisdom much less with Himself. Jesus doesn't know the hour but the Father Almighty only (Mark 13:32)-God is not ignorant. Scripture says that God is not a man, in Numbers chapter 23 verse 19 as well as in 1 Samuel 15:29 and Hosea 11:9.

John 1:1; 14
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

It's important to know that the "Word" in John 1 is not a person. The Greek word for "Word" in Greek is "Logos" and it means "a divine utterance" or it could also just mean "a saying" or "a decree." The Word in John 1 is the Gospel of eternal life. We know for a fact that the Word in John 1 is not a person because John calls the Word in the opening of his first epistle a "that" (it could also be translated as "what"). The opening of John's first epistle says:

"That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word (Logos) of life (comp. with John 1:4);
(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, (comp. with John 1:2) and was manifested unto us;) (comp. with John 1:14)
That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ."

So we can see clearly here that the "Word" of John 1 is not a person but the Gospel of eternal life which was eventually realized in the person of Christ. In fact, the first eight English translations of the Bible that were based off of the Greek text before the King James all called the Word an "it" in John 1:1-4. Read the Geneva, William Tyndale, etc. They all correctly call the Word an "it" in John 1:1-4. The proper interpretation of John 1 is very easy. In the beginning God already had planned out man's redemption before their fall. The Gospel was in the mind and plan of God and that plan was divine and expressive of God. All things were made with that Gospel in mind and without it was not anything made that was made. The Gospel was eventually realized in the person of the King Messiah (the Word became flesh). Jesus is the physical embodiment of the Gospel of God.

"And God said: ‘Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.’" (Genesis 1:26)

As many Biblical Unitarian, Jewish, and even Trinitarian scholars have pointed out, God often speaks majestically to His heavenly court in the plural. As the NIV study Bible (a Trinitarian translation) states in its footnote of Genesis 1:26, "Us… Our… Our. God speaks as the Creator-king, announcing His crowning work to the members of His heavenly court (see 3:22; 11:7; Isaiah 6:8; I Kings 22:19-23; Job 15:8; Jeremiah 23:18)." It doesn't mean that He was inviting them to help him create, He was just speaking majestically as the Creator King. This is found in other places in Scripture. Biblical examples include Daniel's statement to Nebuchadnezzar, "We will tell the interpretation thereof before the king" (Daniel 2:36). Daniel, however, was the only one who gave the king the interpretation of his dream. King Artaxerxes wrote in a letter, "The letter which ye sent unto us hath been plainly read before me" (Ezra 4:18). The letter was sent to Artaxerxes alone (Ezra 4:11), yet he said it was sent to "us," and was read before "me." Clearly the letter was only sent to, and read to Artaxerxes. When Artaxerxes penned another letter to Ezra he used the first person singular pronoun "I" in one place and the first person plural pronoun "we" in another (Ezra 7:13, 24).

IS JESUS THE CREATOR?

I've seen some Trinitarians try to use verses which supposedly suggest that Jesus is the "co-creator" with God the Father. They'll use verses like these as quoted from the Douay-Rheims:

"For in him were all things created in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones, or dominations, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him and in him." (Col 1:16)

Thankfully the Douay-Rheims correctly translates this as "For in him were all things created..." not "For by him" as many translations do. But it unfortunately continues to say that all things were "created by him" at the end of the verse which really isn't a proper translation. The Greek word there is "dia" and it means "through/on account of." So what it means is that all things were created through Jesus in the sense that all things were created with Jesus in mind. For example, Hebrews 1:2 says that God made the ages through (dia) Jesus. And the obvious meaning of that is that God planned out the ages with Jesus in mind as His focal point.

The problem with trying to say that Jesus is the Creator is that 1 Peter 1:20 says that Jesus was "foreknown before the foundation of the world." If Jesus was "foreknown before the foundation of the world" then he wasn't present to quote on quote "create all things." Likewise, a "foreknown" Son could not have always existed before being "foreknown" otherwise the meaning of the word "foreknown" is meaningless. You can't be eternal and be God if you were "foreknown."

The Messiah can't be God. Isaiah 11:1-3 says that the Messiah will fear God. And of course there is no one who fits this description better than Jesus since he was completely sinless. The Father is Jesus' God just like He is ours:
Ephesians 1:17
I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know Him better.

Revelation 1:6
And has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father– to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.

Revelation 3:12
Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it. I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on him my new name.

If Jesus has a God then he by definition cannot be God. Incidentally, if Jesus is "the Son of" God then he is by definition not "God." If Jesus is "the servant of" the LORD then he is by definition not "the LORD." Simple stuff really.

Never claim the Bible concepts are simple stuff when in fact there have been controversies over said concepts from the beginning of the Church. It's not simple. Much of what can be known of God is hidden to us. That which we do know is often seen through a glass dimly. We finite human beings will always struggle to understand the Infinite God.

Jesus was tempted in His humanity. But He was fully divine and fully human.

Jesus forgave sins. That is a characteristic of God alone. The concept of the Trinity is the orthodox view. It was supposed to be settled long ago but of course, it isn't settled as people have differing views.

I doubt I can be convinced away from a Trinitarian view of God. I think it is rather pointless to continue to hash out these disagreements but perhaps that's how it's supposed to be.

Ultimately only two things matter for believers: Loving God and loving others. Everything else flows from there.

Never claim the Bible concepts are simple stuff when in fact there have been controversies over said concepts from the beginning of the Church. It's not simple. Much of what can be known of God is hidden to us. That which we do know is often seen through a glass dimly. We finite human beings will always struggle to understand the Infinite God.
God labored to tell everyone that He is one, not two, and certainly not three. If God is three why didn't He simply tell us? There are perfectly good Greek and Hebrew words God, Moses, the Prophets, Jesus, and all the Apostles could have used to tell us so.
Jesus was tempted in His humanity. But He was fully divine and fully human.
He can't be both at the same time. If he is fully divine then he would have known the hour. What Trinitarians are proposing is some kind of weird "hybrid Jesus" where he can't decide if he's God or if he's man.
Jesus forgave sins. That is a characteristic of God alone.
Not if he was given that authority by the Father Almighty. In fact, Scripture is quite clear that all authority Jesus has was given to him by the Father (Matthew 11:27)(Matthew 28:18).
The concept of the Trinity is the orthodox view. It was supposed to be settled long ago but of course, it isn't settled as people have differing views.
Well I guess if you excommunicate, torture, execute, and inact any other form of punishment on people who hold an opposing viewpoint then yes I guess it would be the orthodox view if you get rid of your enemies. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just stating historical facts on how Trinitarians have maintained the majority over the centuries although modern Trinitarians are little bit more lenient than their Trinitarian ancestors. But just because it is considered orthodox now doesn't mean it always was. In fact, we know this is an impossibility because this trinity business never came up during the early Church. You think it would have been a very controversial issue if the Apostles went around telling everyone that God is now some sort of trinity. It would have caused so my controversy in the early Church that they would have enacted a council just to address this glaring change in doctrine. I mean you're telling me they had a council addressing circumcision but they didn't think it neccessary to have a council addressing the nature of the One true God? Impossible. The reason they didn't have to address it is because there was no change from the orthodox Jewish position that God is strictly one.
I doubt I can be convinced away from a Trinitarian view of God. I think it is rather pointless to continue to hash out these disagreements but perhaps that's how it's supposed to be.
What about the King Messiah's own Creed described in Mark 12:28-29 and John 17:3? The fact that Jesus affirmed the theology of a non-trinitarian Jew in Mark 12:28-29 proves my point - unless Jesus was playing some sort of mind game with that Jewish scribe like holding three fingers behind his back when he said the first commandment was "hear O Israel: the LORD our God, the LORD is one."

Last edited:
God certainly can be both God and man as He is all powerful and there is nothing too difficult for Him. God condescended and took human form in the person of Jesus Christ. But not as God the Father, but as God the Son.

There isn't three Gods and that's not the Trinitarian view. It's one God, three persons. Not three manifestations which is Modalism, but three distinct persons of the Godhead.

There was a time where the non-trinitarian view was the orthodox view. In that time of our Church history, there's plenty of harassment/persecution of opposing views to go around. Catholics killing other Catholics and Protestants and then Protestants too their turn at the killings. The history of the world is the history of people killing others with whom they disagree. Sad but a fact of history.

God is who God is and we small minded, finite humans who lack pure knowledge and wisdom, will always struggle to understand God.

The idea of the Trinity and the explanation of such, developed as a result of heresies that entered the early Church. Much of our systematic theology has developed as a response to challenges (heresies) that sprung up in the early Church.

When it comes to understanding God, there's nothing simple about it.

Why is there no youtube video by Lutheran Satire addressing this? Someone call Pastor Fiene! Lol
i listened to video series on Galatians by a Lutheran theologist . he used so many big words iam like what your point? for the most i agreed but yet he stil never really said anything

God certainly can be both God and man as He is all powerful and there is nothing too difficult for Him. God condescended and took human form in the person of Jesus Christ. But not as God the Father, but as God the Son.

There isn't three Gods and that's not the Trinitarian view. It's one God, three persons. Not three manifestations which is Modalism, but three distinct persons of the Godhead.

There was a time where the non-trinitarian view was the orthodox view. In that time of our Church history, there's plenty of harassment/persecution of opposing views to go around. Catholics killing other Catholics and Protestants and then Protestants too their turn at the killings. The history of the world is the history of people killing others with whom they disagree. Sad but a fact of history.

God is who God is and we small minded, finite humans who lack pure knowledge and wisdom, will always struggle to understand God.

The idea of the Trinity and the explanation of such, developed as a result of heresies that entered the early Church. Much of our systematic theology has developed as a response to challenges (heresies) that sprung up in the early Church.

When it comes to understanding God, there's nothing simple about it.
The idea of the trinity contradicts the repeated statements in Scripture that God is strictly one with no companions. Three persons cannot be one God. If you have three divine persons with three divine minds and three divine wills who are all three divinely eternal and who all three have their own conscience and who all three interact with each other then you have by definition three divine gods. Trinitarians turn God into a God of confusion which Scripture says that He is not (1 Cor 14:33). If you have one god-person in heaven and one god person on earth then you have two god-persons which would be two gods.

Isaiah 11:1-3 says that the Messiah will fear God
No it doesn’t. It says that the Messiah shall delight when His people fear the Lord (i.e. are meek on the earth). Oh, and He judges them accordingly, delighting in their fear of God (a Godly attribute, BTW)

Jesus never displays the characteristics of God in the Almighty sense.
Incorrect. See the next verse, just for one example.

His delight is in the fear of the Lord, And He shall not judge by the sight of His eyes, Nor decide by the hearing of His ears; But with righteousness He shall judge the poor, And decide with equity for the meek of the earth; He shall strike the earth with the rod of His mouth, And with the breath of His lips He shall slay the wicked.
Isaiah 11:3-4 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Isaiah 11:3-4&version=NKJV

Well I guess if you excommunicate, torture, execute, and inact any other form of punishment on people who hold an opposing viewpoint then yes I guess it would be the orthodox view if you get rid of your enemies

You mean like stoning someone for blasphemy?

Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

John 8:59 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=John 8:59,9:3-5&version=NKJV

The Jews didn’t stone people for claiming to be might ones.

You just said that it contradicts God's revelation that He is One.

It doesn't. You have your own perception of it, which is false, and deserves to be rejected. Bravo!
It does because apparently you don't understand what "essence" means. "Essence" is what something is or is something's nature. You and I share the same essence which is "human" but we are still two humans. Three dogs share the same essence which is "dog" but that doesn't change the fact that they are three dogs.

No it doesn’t. It says that the Messiah shall delight when His people fear the Lord (i.e. are meek on the earth). Oh, and He judges them accordingly, delighting in their fear of God (a Godly attribute, BTW)
That's not what the text says. It says that his delight shall be in the fear of the LORD or alternatively: "And he shall be made of quick understanding in the fear of the LORD."- both meaning that his fear of the one true God will make him righteous and full of wisdom. The Septuagint correctly renders this as "And the spirit of the fear of God shall fill him."
Incorrect. See the next verse, just for one example.

His delight is in the fear of the Lord, And He shall not judge by the sight of His eyes, Nor decide by the hearing of His ears; But with righteousness He shall judge the poor, And decide with equity for the meek of the earth; He shall strike the earth with the rod of His mouth, And with the breath of His lips He shall slay the wicked.Isaiah 11:3-4 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Isaiah 11:3-4&version=NKJV
Again, that text does say what you think it says and no commentator would support your position. When Jesus comes back he will exercise his God-given authority of judging and ruling the world during the Messianic Kingdom.
You mean like stoning someone for blasphemy?

Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
John 8:59 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=John 8:59,9:3-5&version=NKJV

The Jews didn’t stone people for claiming to be might ones.
That's completely false. During the trial of Jesus they accused him of claiming to be the Messiah and the Son of God and they condemned him for that. Interestingly enough they didn't accuse him of claiming to be God because he never did.

The context of that verse is that Jesus is telling the Jews that if they believe that he is the one (the Messiah) that they will never die (gain eternal life). He then continues to say that Abraham **foresaw** his day (verse 56). The Jews then asked him what he meant by that. Jesus replied by saying that before Abraham was, I am [the Messiah]-(emphasis added). The phrase "I am" is translated from the Greek phrase "ego eimi" which is used by people all throughout Scripture. The phrase “I am” occurs many other times in the New Testament, and is often translated as “I am he” or some equivalent (“I am he”—Mark 13:6; Luke 21:8; John 13:19; 18:5, 6 and 8. “It is I”—Matt. 14:27; Mark 6:50; John 6:20. “I am the one I claim to be”—John 8:24 and 28.). Jesus is saying that before Abraham was even born, he was the King Messiah in the mind and divine plan of the Father Almighty.

That's not what the text says. It says that his delight shall be in the fear of the LORD
Which is not saying “the Messiah will fear God” as you claimed even if you stripped the phrase from it’s context (judging God’s people and delighting in those that fear God)

both meaning that his fear of the one true God will make him righteous and full of wisdom.
Ridiculous. ⬆️

The Spirit of the Lord will rest on Him, The spirit of wisdom and understanding, The spirit of counsel and strength, The spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.​
Isaiah 11:2 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Isaiah 11:2&version=NASB

It’s simply saying that the Spirit of the Lord = the spirit of 1) wisdom, 2) understanding 3) counsel 4) strength 5) knowledge and 6) fear of the Lord. And yes The Spirit rested on the Son in the form of a dove.

The Septuagint correctly renders this as "And the spirit of the fear of God shall fill him."
Again, you are confused. The Septuagint says nothing in English. It’s written in Greek.

that text does say what you think it says
I know.

During the trial of Jesus they accused him of claiming to be the Messiah and the Son of God and they condemned him for that.
The passage wasn’t from his trial. By the way, He was crucified for the charge of being The King of the Jews (not the Messiah or the Son of God).

Now Jesus stood before the governor, and the governor questioned Him, saying, “Are You the King of the Jews?” And Jesus said to him, “It is as you say.” ... And above His head they put up the charge against Him which read, “ THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.”
Matthew 27:11,37 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Matthew 27:11,37&version=NASB

Notice, the charge doesn’t say anything about Messiah (Christ) or Son of God.

Jesus is saying that before Abraham was even born, he was the King Messiah in the mind and divine plan of the Father Almighty.
Please quote where it says anything about “in the mind and divine plan”.

Which is not saying “the Messiah will fear God” as you claimed even if you stripped the phrase from it’s context (judging God’s people and delighting in those that fear God)
Ridiculous. ⬆️

The Spirit of the Lord will rest on Him, The spirit of wisdom and understanding, The spirit of counsel and strength, The spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.Isaiah 11:2 -

The context of the verse is that it's describing the characteristics of this Davidic King and one of his characteristics which is clearly stated in the verse is that he will be made righteous and he will be made full of wisdom by his fear of God. And by that wisdom and knowledge he will be a righteous judge. "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the All-holy is understanding" (Proverbs 9:10).
Again, you are confused. The Septuagint says nothing in English. It’s written in Greek
What does that have to do with anything? My point was to show how the Jews who translated the Tanakh into Greek understood this verse as well as pretty much everyone except you including trinitarians. The Latin Vulgate also renders it: "And he shall be filled with the spirit of the fear of the Lord, He shall not judge according to the sight of the eyes, nor reprove according to the hearing of the ears."
The passage wasn’t from his trial. By the way, He was crucified for the charge of being The King of the Jews (not the Messiah or the Son of God).

Now Jesus stood before the governor, and the governor questioned Him, saying, “Are You the King of the Jews?” And Jesus said to him, “It is as you say.” ... And above His head they put up the charge against Him which read, “ THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.”Matthew 27:11,37 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Matthew 27:11,37&version=NASB

Notice, the charge doesn’t say anything about Messiah (Christ) or Son of God.
To be the Messiah meant that you were the King of the Jews. That's what being the Messiah was all about. The transliterated word "Messiah" (or in Greek, "Christ") means "anointed one" and the Davidic King who was to come would be the anointed one, son of David.
Please quote where it says anything about “in the mind and divine plan”.
That's what's implied in the passage as well as everywhere else in Scripture such as 1 Peter 1:20 which says that Jesus was "foreknown before the foundation of the world."

It does because apparently you don't understand what "essence" means. "Essence" is what something is or is something's nature. You and I share the same essence which is "human" but we are still two humans. Three dogs share the same essence which is "dog" but that doesn't change the fact that they are three dogs.

You're going to rely on English to try to overthrow the teaching of the Church for well over 1,000 years before English even existed as a language?!?

one of his characteristics which is clearly stated in the verse is that he will be made righteous and he will be made full of wisdom by his fear of God.
The passage doesn’t say anything about Him being “made” anything. You are confused again.

The Latin Vulgate also renders it: "And he shall be filled with the spirit
He was filled with the Spirit of the Lord. But again, you are confused. The Latin Vulate was a Latin translation, not English. My point is the same as it was with the LXX.

The transliterated word "Messiah" (or in Greek, "Christ") means "anointed one" and the Davidic King
Notice that His charge was written in three different languages (to avoid any possible confusion) and not a one of them said anything about Him being crucified as Messiah, Christ, anointed one or Davidic.

And above His head they put up the charge against Him which read, “ THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.”
Matthew 27:37 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Matthew 27:37&version=NASB

One charge in three languages. Very clear, right?

That's what's implied in the passage
People aren’t crucified over an implied charge.

Back