Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Why would this happen??

gingram

This happened last night. I need help understanding this:

Cincinnati Enquirer
'Touchdown Jesus' statue at Solid Rock Church on I-75 destroyed by lightning, fire
62-foot-high 'King of Kings' statue familiar to those driving through Monroe

MONROE - Monroe fire officials set damage at $700,000 after lighting struck and burned down a 62-foot-high Jesus Christ statue and an adjacent amphitheater at Solid Rock Church late Monday.

Church leaders are vowing to rebuild the iconic "King of Kings" statue - also dubbed "Touchdown Jesus" - which alone was valued at $300,000.

Monroe Fire Capt. Richard Mascarella said the other $400,000 in damage was to the amphitheater when flames from the sculpture spread to the back wall and roof.

“The heat coming off the statue singed the entire back wall of the amphitheater and burned through it,†Mascarella said. “Portions of the roof are destroyed, so they will have to replace a large part of it.â€

A pond surrounding the statue that used to be full of fish is now filled with remnants of the structure, made of fiber glass and foam. All the fish are either dead or dying, Mascarella said.

Church leaders also plan to repair the amphitheater and the pond.

The fire is not suspicious. It was ignited about 11:15 p.m. Monday during a severe thunderstorm that spawned lighting across the Greater Cincinnati region, Mascarella said.

An assistant Monroe fire chief, John Centers, actually saw the first lightning strike, Mascarella said.

“He likes to watch storms and his house is up on the hill near the church,†Mascarella said. “He said he saw it hit.â€

Church leaders have told fire officials the statue and amphitheater are all insured.

“They have already contacted their insurance company,†Mascarella said. “Their adjuster is supposed to be out here this afternoon.â€

The only thing visible this morning is the charred frame of the structure.

“It burned to the ground. The whole statue is gone,†said Kim Peace, a police dispatcher.

The large “King of Kings†statue was a Butler County landmark since it was erected in 2004 outside Solid Rock Church, 904 N. Union Rd., along northbound Interstate 75 in Monroe just north of the Ohio 63 exit.

Fire crews were called to the church at 11:15 p.m. after several people phoned 911 to report the blaze as a severe thunderstorm swept through Greater Cincinnati, producing a spectacular lightning show, Peace said.

“The lightning was just amazing,†she said, wryly adding: “It was a lot of fun in here last night.â€

When fire crews arrived, they found the statue fully involved and an adjacent amphitheater burning. The fire extended into the attic of the amphitheater, destroyed equipment, before fire crews contained it, Peace said.

No one was injured.

As fire gorged the iconic statue, several motorists along I-75 pulled over to photograph the sight.

That prompted troopers from the Ohio State Highway Patrol to respond and patrol the area to prevent a traffic jam and potential accidents, according to the patrol’s Lebanon post.

Neu said he is holding a 10 a.m. press conference at the church to discuss a damage estimate from the fire and other issues.

The sculpture stretches 40 feet wide at the base. It was made of plastic form and fiberglass over a steel frame. The frame is the only thing visible this morning.

According to the evangelical church's website, there are about 4,000 members. The church was founded by former horse trader Lawrence and Darlene Bishop of Middletown.

Link to the article:
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2010 ... act-of-God

Before and After Photos:
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... s=Itemnr=1

Why do you think this happened? Is there a reason for this? Do you think that maybe there is something suspicious going on with the church (a lot of sinning)? It's a little hard to grasp why this happened. Any thoughts? :sad :help

...made of fiber glass and foam....

That explains why it burned so fast/hot. On top of that it was a tall structure with metal rods in it, tall metal structures attracts lightning. Case closed.

I don't think God did it, There are FAR BETTER places and things to strike then some guys statue.

gingram said:
Why do you think this happened? Is there a reason for this? Do you think that maybe there is something suspicious going on with the church (a lot of sinning)? It's a little hard to grasp why this happened. Any thoughts? :sad :help

*Edit: John, you and I posted at the same time, and I agree with you. :thumb

Well, I'd say it happened because lightening strikes tall things :shrug I wouldn't necessarily say that it was God punishing them or removing something he didn't want them to have, but I wouldn't say it isn't either. That is between them and God. I will say that I think it is stupid for them to vow to rebuild the statue,... $300,000 could be MUCH better spent furthering the gospel in MULTIPLE ways rather than building a gigantic statue of Christ. :twocents

I agree with John and Caroline. Lighting strikes happen all the time. This one just turned out to be another Ironic strike, so it made the news.

3156433.bin

[youtube:2duqgqgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAAj1OiH-WA&feature=player_embedded[/youtube:2duqgqgc]

Oh man! My wife is going to be sooo bummed! We love going by the "touchdown Jesus" when we're traveling down I-75 :sad

Anyway, my buddy from work and I were just talking about this and being from Michigan, we can get some pretty wild thunderstorms (We had tornadoes destroy a county last week), and I know Ohio can really get some whoppers too. Anyway, we even watched a video of it blazing and it occured to us that it probably wasn't the smartest idea to build the tallest structure in the area with a steel frame, covered with fire excellerant next to a body of water... Seems it wasn't a matter of why, but a matter of when...

I completely understand the coincidence and the science and all, but don't you think God could have diverted the lightning or stopped it or something? Allowing it to burn like that would drive some people further from him, or in other words, some people can use this as an excuse to why they don't believe. It's not helping his case.

That's kind of why I think there must be some reason for it.

gingram said:
I completely understand the coincidence and the science and all, but don't you think God could have diverted the lightning or stopped it or something? Allowing it to burn like that would drive some people further from him, or in other words, some people can use this as an excuse to why they don't believe. It's not helping his case.

That's kind of why I think there must be some reason for it.

Why do so many people put lightning rods on churches? ;)

If this act drives people away from God then they got some problems :twocents God does not need to do anything help his case his works are clearly visible enough already.

Hi Gingam,
Yes, God could have stopped the lightning. God could have done lot's of stuff different, like he could have stopped the suffering of starving children, or he could have stopped that madman from raping that good Christian woman, but he didn't, and we don't know why.

I think sometimes we can think too deeply on a subject trying to make sense of it and when we do so, we loose sight that all things work to the good for those who love Him and I'll bet when they rebuild this thing, they will learn from their engineering mistake and make it better because ya know, if it had been hit during the day when the ampitheatre was full of people, somebody could have said, "Why did God strike down my child".... and that would have driven some further away from Christ.

If we look at the Book of Job, we see how God uses satan for His purposes.
When we see destruction, we may think that satan is wrecking havoc without the control of the Almighty, but we know that God works all things after the counsel of his own will. His will is sovereign, not ours.
So we just give God the glory, no matter the circumstances! Praise the Lord!

blessings,
brian

Let's not forget that the statue was a sin.

Exodus 20: 4Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Acts 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Not everything happens for a spiritual reason, but I do believe everything happens for a reason. My belief on this is the science of it all (tallest metal structure in the area). So, unless God tells you specifically why it happened, a person can only speculate.

If it was indeed a message, whoever the message was for... I'm sure they got it.

Back