Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Wives submitting to husbands

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

theLords

Inspired by Nick's thread: http://www.christianforums.net/f17/christian-marriage-wives-submitting-godly-husband-why-not-32771/ I realized that for me submitting to my future husband is an honor and a way to submit myself to the Lord. It seems easy! Why do feminists make it such a big deal? Then I realized, I have no idea what this means to submit to your spouse or what submitting to your spouse looks like. Can anyone offer some insight?

Wives: What does it mean to submit to your husbands?

Husbands: What does it mean for your wives to submit to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the answer to you question would be somewhat different in different marriages. The key to remember is that marriage is to be the joining of two people into one person. So, the type of people that the two are will determine the type of way they become one.

:confused I hope that makes sense.

As for me and my marriage, the way godly submission works is that we discuss things, make plans, have dreams. Then, we work together to make things come about. However, there comes a time when we have different opinions as to how to do things or accomplish something. That's when I step down and we do it his way. This truly doesn't happen all that often, but it does happen.

One thing to be careful of though, is the idea that if the wife is "more godly" or just better educated in the Scriptures, then the husband should follow her ideas when it comes to spiritual things. My husband and I really stumbled in this area. He truly wanted to attend the church that his parents were raised in and he was baptized in. (Not the exact same church, but in the same denomination.) I didn't want to because I knew that the church was heading far away from God. So, we wasted a few years of our married life going to churches that I felt were "biblical" and he was miserable in and just couldn't relate to. We went to several like this, causing our children to be uprooted from their church. It just seemed as if we were never going to find a church family that would be "home" to us.

The the Lord impressed upon me that I was not submitting to my husband. Steve wanted to go to the ELCA and I needed to submit to that. Even though the ELCA was going horribly away from godliness, God really convicted me to stop exhorting Steve not to take our family there.

So, we wound up being in the ELCA for almost two years. At the end of the time we were there, the ELCA voted to ordain gays and lesbians as ministers.

It was at that time that Steve, for the first time really in our marriage, started to take a strong spiritual stand and took our family out of the church and now we are in the Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod and couldn't be happier. Turns out, God had reasons why He wanted Steve to be in that denomination for a season, and, in His good timing, He brought us to a place that we both are very happy in.

Sometimes wives can make the whole "we are to obey God rather than man" thing a sort of "loop-hole" when it comes to wifely submission. Honestly, there probably aren't going to be many times when a husband is going to force the issue of something that is truly against a commandment of Gods.

Since you're still single, theLords, the best advice about wifely submission I can give you is to truly search for the kind of husband that will be a joy to submit to. Take the time to get to know him, see how he follows God, see what things that are going to come up in your marriage that you won't particularly like and ask yourself if you can truly submit to it. Do this kind of pre-marital examination, and you will save yourself years of stress.

Thanks handy, that was incredibly insightful.

It seems to me that submission is mostly in the area of "decisions," am I getting that right?

Is it kind of like when you are quarreling with someone, and the Lord says, "stop" and by stopping, swallowing your pride even though you know you are right, and then obey the Lord's request then you are submitting to the Lord.

Is it kind of like that? I can see why people think it's hard :chin lol

Inspired by Nick's thread: http://www.christianforums.net/f17/christian-marriage-wives-submitting-godly-husband-why-not-32771/ I realized that for me submitting to my future husband is an honor and a way to submit myself to the Lord. It seems easy! Why do feminists make it such a big deal? Then I realized, I have no idea what this means to submit to your spouse or what submitting to your spouse looks like. Can anyone offer some insight?

In January, I will have been married happily for 35 years.

There is an overarching theme in the area of submission in the Body of Christ in that we are to submit to one another in love. In other words, wives are reminded that their relationship with Jesus Christ, their head, is mirrored in the marriage.

As a woman with a STRONG will, I have no problem submitting to my husband, who consults me in all things, and who also has no problem submitting to me as well, in love. He is as Christ in our relationship: I share everything with him, and consult him about all decisions, listen to his approval or disapproval, and he also to me. He desires only the best for me and our family. In so doing, there is no hindrance to his prayers and God has a clear way to bless and prosper our way.

1 Peter 3:7 NLT
In the same way, you husbands must give honor to your wives. Treat your wife with understanding as you live together. She may be weaker than you are, but she is your equal partner in God’s gift of new life. Treat her as you should so your prayers will not be hindered.

To me, submission is about yielding ones will and giving respect.

I think Handy had a lot of good things to write. I agree with her that it can be different for every relationship. I say that, because I am quite more submissive than most women, by nature.

One simple word, PRIDE. Most women do not know one of the reasons why a wife should submit to her husband. The male was made first and that it was Eve who was deceived by Satan and not Adam. Generally speaking it is much easier for a woman to be deceived than a man; it is wise for a wife to listen to what her husband has to say. A woman is more govern by her emotions, and emotions can lead one to do things that the person would not otherwise do.
It is not a sin to express emotions, but one must not make important decisions based on emotions. <O:tongue</O:tongue

One simple word, PRIDE. Most women do not know one of the reasons why a wife should submit to her husband. The male was made first and that it was Eve who was deceived by Satan and not Adam. Generally speaking it is much easier for a woman to be deceived than a man; it is wise for a wife to listen to what her husband has to say. A woman is more govern by her emotions, and emotions can lead one to do things that the person would not otherwise do.
It is not a sin to express emotions, but one must not make important decisions based on emotions. <O:tongue</O:tongue

Adam was deceived as well. It was just as easy for him to be beguiled.

Chronology of creation has nothing to do with hierarchy.

The husband also needs to learn about godly submission and a wise husband listens to his godly wife.

Back